hibs.net Messageboard

Page 457 of 584 FirstFirst ... 357407447455456457458459467507557 ... LastLast
Results 13,681 to 13,710 of 17517
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    ^^Agreed.

My concern is that I think I’ve heard both LJ and RG say they’re happy with the squad as it is?

Happy to accept I could have missed the chat about needing a midfielder and centre half. Do we know if we are looking to make these signings or are we just hoping that’s the case?

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    I think we're in the situation when you sign 10-11 new players they need to settle in. Plus we still have players to come back from injury that would defo improve us! Think folk forget the teams we played especially the hearts are near Full strength first 11.. agree we need AM and CB player and the guy were linked with from wimbledon looked OK especially feeekick threat which we lack... I'm annoyed we lost yesterday buy think we will have enough to be top 5 and confident we will challenge for the top 4 once it all clicks together.. but just my opinion

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He probably would be right now. But then we'd be looking for better in January or next summer. Would be a complete waste of a signing.
    That’s fine, it would be sometime in 2025 when we actually get round to signing someone to replace him anyway 😀

I think Omeonga is fine, and his attributes would make him an upgrade on what we have. For the money we spend these days I’d expect better though. However given the little faith I have in Hibs’ ability to spend our money well I’m almost at the stage of copying teams like Livi. Sign a midfield that might have lesser players, but players that are athletic, willing to run ahead of the ball, compliment each other and make a midfield greater than the sum of its parts. Rather than our current approach of signing good individuals with no thought to how they all fit together and despite what the stats tell you who make our midfield less than the sum of its parts.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Personally, I think it's been a decent window. We needed a lot of work done, and realistically I think one window isnt enough time. I'd like to see us get a CB and a CM, but if we need to wait until January that's fine. I'm happy letting LJ build a team over a couple of windows before we see the full potential.

@hibs.net private member
    I understand the clamour for a cb and cm but we are in desparate need of a striker.

With the exception of boyle we have had game after game after game of under performance from our forwards in the last 12 months. Nisbet, doidge, gullan, wright, murphy last season and now doidge is still at it and melkersen/tavares are nowhere near first team ready. Youan is the only one who might be ok but not as a central striker, he just doesn't have the atrributes to play it well and you can already see he isn't going to score lots of goals. Someone who can drop in and hold the ball when needed, give the midfield someone to link with. Number one priority for me.

Tom Rogic available

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    Personally, I think it's been a decent window. We needed a lot of work done, and realistically I think one window isnt enough time. I'd like to see us get a CB and a CM, but if we need to wait until January that's fine. I'm happy letting LJ build a team over a couple of windows before we see the full potential.
    How can it be a decent window as yet again we do nothing or make no real progress in addressing the areas of the park we’ve needed to sort for multiple windows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    I understand the clamour for a cb and cm but we are in desparate need of a striker.

With the exception of boyle we have had game after game after game of under performance from our forwards in the last 12 months. Nisbet, doidge, gullan, wright, murphy last season and now doidge is still at it and melkersen/tavares are nowhere near first team ready. Youan is the only one who might be ok but not as a central striker, he just doesn't have the atrributes to play it well and you can already see he isn't going to score lots of goals. Someone who can drop in and hold the ball when needed, give the midfield someone to link with. Number one priority for me.
    Sorry, with respect, but I think that is so wrong. We could have Harry Kane playing for us and he would struggle in this Hibs team.

Number one priority is two central midfielders.
    Number two priority is an experienced commanding centre half.
    Number three priority is a decent right back so we can move our player of last season further forward. But harsh on Miller maybe.

Central striker only after the above is sorted IMO.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    How are we in a position that after signing 11/12 players we still need to sign a spine/cm & cb with two weeks remaining of the window?
    I’m starting to become a bit concerned now. Development team signings are fine but there has to be some balance. We need a big striker, a box to box midfielder and now I think we need a centre half as well. I also would suggest we need a left sided midfielder if Mitchell is going to be as crocked as it would seem he’s going to be.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

We have 5, there is no way we sign another one without players moving on, and they wont.

We should change the formation to suit the forwards we do have.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    I don’t see how the window can be described as anything close to decent when we haven’t done anything to address the glaring issues we had before the window opened.

If we don’t do something about CM and CB before January then it won’t be fine, it’ll be bottom 6 and most likely out of the running for Europe.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Sorry, with respect, but I think that is so wrong. We could have Harry Kane playing for us and he would struggle in this Hibs team.

Number three priority is a decent right back so we can move our player of last season further forward. But harsh on Miller maybe.

Yup. Take 2018 for example - during the first half of the year Kamberi and McLaren looked like our best partnership since Riordan and O’Connor when we had McGinn, Allan and McGeouch as our midfield. The second half of the year they looked a shadow of the previous season when we had a midfield of Milligan, Mallan and Slivka. Sort the midfield and everything else will look much better.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Newell and JDH are better than Omeonga imo.

Omeonga plays in a team that suits him perfectly, he wins the ball back quick on a dodgy surface and breaks up play.

Move him in our team and it’s a different story, the same as the previous two times he’s been here.

We need better than him.
    You are not wanting to sign Zico as a box to box midfielder. You want a good touch and the ability to drive with the ball. Goals are a bonus. Omeonga is very good at that. Yes he had a poor Derby a couple of years ago but he never hid like the rest of the midfield. Omeonga is exactly what Hibs need and at least we know his qualities. Or do we want another guy signed on the back of some video footage?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    You are not wanting to sign Zico as a box to box midfielder. You want a good touch and the ability to drive with the ball. Goals are a bonus. Omeonga is very good at that. Yes he had a poor Derby a couple of years ago but he never hid like the rest of the midfield. Omeonga is exactly what Hibs need and at least we know his qualities. Or do we want another guy signed on the back of some video footage?

I disagree about Newell, JDH etc hiding. They have had bad games, they’ve also had really good games but I’d never say they hide. The issue for me is them having nothing to hit in front of them, especially last season.

Omeonga is a lot of things but a player with a good touch isn’t a way I’d describe him.

I don’t think he’s what we need at all. Either a box to box midfielder or a reallt creative and quality number 10. Don’t think him coming in would change any of our problems.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    We have 5, there is no way we sign another one without players moving on, and they wont.

Depends on how you look at it, I suppose. I would say we have 1 fit, first team striker that can play that position in doidge and he is well off form. Nisbet out til xmas, youan is not a lone striker, the other 2 are (or should be) development team players.

Depends on how you look at it, I suppose. I would say we have 1 fit, first team striker that can play that position in doidge and he is well off form. Nisbet out til xmas, youan is not a lone striker, the other 2 are (or should be) development team players.
    Melkersen, Doidge, Youan, Nisbet and Bojang are all strikers. Our only option is to get the best out of them. Nisbet especially could be massive if we can get him fit and firing.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Does anyone remember Omeongas performance in his last game for Hibs? Horrific doesn't cover it. Not what is needed imo.

@hibs.net private member

I'm sure Kane would do ok.

I guess what I'm saying is if i had the chance to upgrade one of hanlon, henderson or doidge i think upgrading doidge would have the biggest impact on the team. I don't disagree that we could be doing with all 3.

I'm sure Kane would do ok.

I guess what I'm saying is if i had the chance to upgrade one of hanlon, henderson or doidge i think upgrading doidge would have the biggest impact on the team. I don't disagree that we could be doing with all 3.
    Yep think Harry would improve us a little

@hibs.net private member
    Melkersen, Doidge, Youan, Nisbet and Bojang are all strikers. Our only option is to get the best out of them. Nisbet especially could be massive if we can get him fit and firing.
    Or accept that tavares and melkersen aren't as far along as we hoped, play youan wide and sign a striker, even if just on loan until nisbet is back next year.

@hibs.net private member
    Or accept that tavares and melkersen aren't as far along as we hoped, play youan wide and sign a striker, even if just on loan until nisbet is back next year.
    Someone like Simms that was at Hearts would have been perfect for us this season.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I disagree about Newell, JDH etc hiding. They have had bad games, they’ve also had really good games but I’d never say they hide. The issue for me is them having nothing to hit in front of them, especially last season.

Omeonga is a lot of things but a player with a good touch isn’t a way I’d describe him.

I don’t think he’s what we need at all. Either a box to box midfielder or a reallt creative and quality number 10. Don’t think him coming in would change any of our problems.
    I was meaning the rest of the Hibs midfield that night against Hearts hiding.

Newell just isn't a central midfielder for me. If anything I think he'd be better back wide on the left. I think its JDH or Kenneh for the holding position and right now I'd go with JDH. Henderson or Mcgeady for the tracking midfielder but we badly need someone to link the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Someone like Simms that was at Hearts would have been perfect for us this season.
    Hopefully Lee has someone similar lined up before the window. Usually the last few days of so EPL teams looking to loan our prospects keen on game time.

First Team Regular Basildon Hibs's Avatar

👍

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Spot on I think nouble would be the ideal type
    Of player like that for us but can’t see us ever going for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sign Nouble and Obileye from Livi, jobs a good'un.

Nouble is the very definition of a journeyman. 15 clubs already and only 26. A very poor return as well. I really hope we are looking at better.

@hibs.net private member

We don't have any capable of playing up top on their own and being a real physical presence. Some would say Doidge was that player a while back, I wouldn't agree, but either way he is not at the races since his injury and Covid.
    Not sure a No 9 is top priority but I would say it is just as important as a attack minded CM and a strong CH

If you think we're going to bring in 5 more players then you should probably lower your expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by JammyDoidger View Post
    Sign Nouble and Obileye from Livi, jobs a good'un.
    It's really not. Surely the many crap players we've signed from st Johnstone show that. These guys are having a good start. That's it. In the case of nouble, his career shows he'll maybe get 6 goals this season. It's a real purple patch for a poor footballer.