hibs.net Messageboard

Barty in shock retirement

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-60843870

2. Log in to remove the advert

Wow, at age 25.

Can't help but think she might be a bit burnt out but will be back someday, like Kim Clijsters?

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, at age 25.

Can't help but think she might be a bit burnt out but will be back someday, like Kim Clijsters?
    I'm not so sure, maybe. But I wonder... and it's purely guesswork, (although she's given the reason that she's burnt-out) if she maybe fancies/will fancy something different going forward.

She's a talented girl, think she was a pro cricketer as well (?) and may want to focus her talent in a different direction.

On the other hand I could be talking utter p1sh again.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I really admire the likes of Simone Biles and Ashleigh Barty. So important to talk about mental health being important and nothing is worth giving up your sanity for.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Retiring at age 25 sounds brilliant. Fair play to her, she's won pretty much everything.

Life on the tour is absolutely ****ing brutal, and if you're a bit of a homebody and don't enjoy the ride it's no surprise you'd want off at the first possible opportunity. She's won and achieved everything she wanted and she's made a nice bit of cash. I sincerey doubt we will see her on the court competatively again and I wish her the very very best and peace and quiet in retirement.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Seems a bit of a strange one. A very singular pastime and with Covid and travel especially from as far away as Australia can't be that easy. Bit of a shame as a huge talent however most important thing is she is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I really admire the likes of Simone Biles and Ashleigh Barty. So important to talk about mental health being important and nothing is worth giving up your sanity for.

Yeah I agree, the pressure of money, sponsors, fans, coaches, national pride, and more must be incredible to bear, and even more to resist.

Their legacies are far more impactful for speaking publicly about their challenges and mental health issues (and in Biles’ case, abuse as well). True role models

It's a strange one, but totally understandable, she's a phenomenal athlete who's achieved everything she can in the sport and has taken a brave but I suspect correct decision to concentrate on preserving her mental health for future endeavours. I don't know if the travel thing was as big a part of it as some think mind you, in sporting terms I would imagine Australians have to travel long distances wherever they go unless it's New Zealand, but that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Life on the tour is absolutely ****ing brutal, and if you're a bit of a homebody and don't enjoy the ride it's no surprise you'd want off at the first possible opportunity. She's won and achieved everything she wanted and she's made a nice bit of cash. I sincerey doubt we will see her on the court competatively again and I wish her the very very best and peace and quiet in retirement.
    It was good to see Hingis come back for a relatively short but highly successful doubles career. Might see the same from Barty somewhere down the line.