hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Campbell

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyrougier123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Btw most on here would start joe newell over Campbell If I’m gauging this correct?

Played 19
    Zero goals
    2 assists.

I’ve seen newell give the ball away a lot as well.
    Plus 5 yellows to Josh’s 4 in less games.

Currently hiding in the treatment room again.
    Has Joe been a regular in the treatment room?

Cant say I've noticed that
    Has he been?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    If the frequency with which he’s being booked is being used to demonstrate that he’s finished, then his record of a direct goal involvement every 108 minutes could be used to demonstrate the opposite I suppose.
    To avoid the discussion going round in circles, see my previous post 👇

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    The problem is out of possession he is a liability, he picked up another booking yesterday similar to the Celtic game where he fouled a player who had been playing for nearly 90 minutes who’d just ghosted passed him. If we can create a role for him where he has zero defensive responsibility then it might help our lack of creativity issues but it’s not a long term solution.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Did we? Allan came in, gave the ball away, got caught in possession etc.

Melkersen and Hauge have us a bit of directness and movement upbfront and should start in the next game, but Allan gave more silly possession than Campbell did across the 90.
    No he didn't. The lies people will make up to convince themselves that Scott Allan is "finished" is off the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    If the frequency with which he’s being booked is being used to demonstrate that he’s finished, then his record of a direct goal involvement every 108 minutes could be used to demonstrate the opposite I suppose.
    Exactly. Some of the attempts on here for people to justify their opinion that Allan is finished are laughable.

First Team Breakthrough
    Melkerson looks like he could be a talent. Was making some good runs and looked up for it. Hauge is maybe one for the future as didn't look up to much on first showing. Regarding Allan, please let's stop the love in. He is not good enough for this level anymore. Caught in possession. Well off the pace and resorted to fouling as he couldn't keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsquaker View Post
    Melkerson looks like he could be a talent. Was making some good runs and looked up for it. Hauge is maybe one for the future as didn't look up to much on first showing. Regarding Allan, please let's stop the love in. He is not good enough for this level anymore. Caught in possession. Well off the pace and resorted to fouling as he couldn't keep up.
    He has more direct goal contributions (6) this season than any other player in the squad available for selection right now. If he is not good enough then that speaks volumes about some of the others getting on the pitch.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    He has more direct goal contributions (6) this season than any other player in the squad available for selection right now. If he is not good enough then that speaks volumes about some of the others getting on the pitch.

An attacking player with more goal contributions than anyone else we have available despite not getting a load of minutes and apparently he’s finished because he gets booked quite frequently and isn’t great at tackling.

I hope the people who aren’t suggesting as such aren’t also the ones moaning about our lack of creative play/goals.

If we’re at the point of declaring any of our players who have weaknesses to their game finished then i think it’s safe to say every other one of our midfielders are finished with their pitiful goals/assists contributions this season.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 06-03-2022 at 03:13 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Modern football at the top level requires 11 players fully fit and contributing to the team shape. Scott Allan for all his fancy passes that come off 1 in 10, is like playing with a man down. Start Scott Allan and you'll start on the back foot a few goals down before one of his "goal contributions" finally comes off. Why do you think he only comes on when we are desperate? It's because he's a risk to the shape and function of the team.

Modern football at the top level requires 11 players fully fit and contributing to the team shape. Scott Allan for all his fancy passes that come off 1 in 10, is like playing with a man down. Start Scott Allan and you'll start on the back foot a few goals down before one of his "goal contributions" finally comes off. Why do you think he only comes on when we are desperate? It's because he's a risk to the shape and function of the team.
    Scott Allan is less likely to cost us a goal the Campbell rn. Why did we keep a clean sheet last time Allan started if your theory is correct?

@hibs.net private member
    You need to take risks in football. When you don’t, you end up with a team like us currently who can’t score goals.

If you don’t want players who take risks etc then that’s fine but I wouldn’t bother complaining when we don’t create chances or score goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post

An attacking player with more goal contributions than anyone else we have available despite not getting a load of minutes and apparently he’s finished because he gets booked quite frequently and isn’t great at tackling.

I hope the people who aren’t suggesting as such aren’t also the ones moaning about our lack of creative play/goals.

If we’re at the point of declaring any of our players who have weaknesses to their game finished then i think it’s safe to say every other one of our midfielders are finished with their pitiful goals/assists contributions this season.

We are goalless in 8 of our last 10 league games, it's mad. Allan picking up a few bookings so he's finished is one of these classic Hibs.net myths that someone mentions once and then it gets repeated like it's gospel.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    I’d say “most” are clueless reactionary morons when it comes to football.
    Classy

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    You need to take risks in football. When you don’t, you end up with a team like us currently who can’t score goals.

If you don’t want players who take risks etc then that’s fine but I wouldn’t bother complaining when we don’t create chances or score goals.
    His lack of overall contribution to the team is a greater risk to losing a game than his 1 in 10 nice pass execution leading to a goal.

It’s no really been the case in the handful of games he’s started this season though, has it? We were 3 up with him scoring and assisting at Tannadice, won 1-0 with him starting against St Johnstone, won 1-0 with him starting against Aberdeen and were 1-0 up when he left the park at Ibrox. Only game we were behind when he started was at home to Dundee Utd.

Not playing him more often is a risk to us actually winning games of football now and again.

Did you see us at Tannadice when he started the game and had a goal an assist to help us go 3 nil up before half time? That's not really starting on the back foot. He also started the last time we played St Johnstone at home - and we won 1-0.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 06-03-2022 at 03:41 PM.

His lack of overall contribution to the team is a greater risk to losing a game than his 1 in 10 nice pass execution leading to a goal.
    No evidence to back that up.

And actually, losing the occasional game of football by taking a few risks is ok if it means you win some other games with that same approach. You'll end up with more points than drawing 0-0 every week.

@hibs.net private member
    We need to at some point take a wee bit of a risk to try and win a game. Why not start on the front foot, try to get ahead in the game and then be more solid as the game goes on?

First Team Breakthrough
    OK I'll get back in my box, he's wonderful and the answer to everything! It's criminal we're so short of options in midfield. We should have at least got a body in, in January instead of shipping 2 out.

OK I'll get back in my box, he's wonderful and the answer to everything! It's criminal we're so short of options in midfield. We should have at least got a body in, in January instead of shipping 2 out.
    Thats not true either. But maybe, just maybe, there is a middle ground between finished and prime Messi.

I’ve never seen a youngster come from no where near the first team to just propelled into our first eleven

Nothing against Campbell as he is young

But I’m not seeing what he brings week in week out

If anything it shows how much we do miss newell

Nobody is saying that, and I think everyone recognises he isn't the player he used to be, or someone to rely on long term.

I agree with your last two sentences.

First Team Breakthrough
    We really need a defender back for the tough games before the split so we can move Lewis into the midfield to give Josh a break. Lewis was surprisingly good in there. He can actually pass a ball forward! I'm assuming Newell won't be fit - I know some don't rate him, but he's one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

@hibs.net private member
    We really need a defender back for the tough games before the split so we can move Lewis into the midfield to give Josh a break. Lewis was surprisingly good in there. He can actually pass a ball forward! I'm assuming Newell won't be fit - I know some don't rate him, but he's one of the first names on the team sheet for me.
    Would agree with this. Either a defender back and Lewis into midfield or Newell back. We’re desperate for one of the two.

Hope it works out eventually but unfortunately he isn’t good enough on the ball, can do a certain job like he showed against rangers. He’s been chucked in at the deep end due to our lack of midfielders.

Did enjoy him screaming at Jasper for failing to pass for the umpteenth time this week.

I would doubt very few people here have played or coached at a high level. Yet there’s a stridency in some posts that suggests some deep expertise we should all defer to.

Criticism is fair enough, but pile on’s denigrating a young player isn’t going to improve their performance

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    I would doubt very few people here have played or coached at a high level. Yet there’s a stridency in some posts that suggests some deep expertise we should all defer to.

Criticism is fair enough, but pile on’s denigrating a young player isn’t going to improve their performance
    There is nothing personal being aimed at him. I don't doubt his effort, but the best thing anyone can say about him is he has energy. That's not really a great argument for him.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post

Spot on and that stridency appears in leaps and bounds as we are now coached on here on formation, tactics, personality, mindset and sheer hipsterness. The deference to this expertise which appears to show such depth, seems that we are now wasting our time, mere mortals, plebs, the cloth caps that we are.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Very similar thread this to the regular Stevenson threads we had on here just over a decade ago. https://www.hibs.net/archive/index.php/t-179234.html

Is Campbell a world beater? No
    Does he have the potential and time to improve? Yes

Once our starters return, Campbell will become an important squad player for us and he can work on developing the weaknesses in his game.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Very similar thread this to the regular Stevenson threads we had on here just over a decade ago. https://www.hibs.net/archive/index.php/t-179234.html

Is Campbell a world beater? No
    Does he have the potential and time to improve? Yes

Once our starters return, Campbell will become an important squad player for us and he can work on developing the weaknesses in his game.
    My view is he is filling in due to injuries, but when I watch him he looks confused as to what his role is in the midfield. That comes from the manager and training though, and I think SM needs to define his role more. When I watched him as a youth player he was a more attacking midfielder, yet in the first team he is being asked to do a bit of everything which I think is confusing him. I don't think he's a good enough player at this level - and as for squad player - I want a sub who can come on and affect a game winning, drawing, or losing - and he isn't that for me either. There's nothing in his game that has me thinking he's got it to develop further (sadly). The caveat being that we have a woeful midfield which lacks energy and creation - he may surprise me if we rectify the midfield area in summer.

Wright is the same - I just don't see a good player in him. Never to the extent of booing him (or any player), but he is weak mentally. Really good players blot out the stands, he doesn't. Took the very easy options yesterday when there was space to move into - I want braver players at Hibs than that.

I’ve said before that I have no issue or concerns with him playing against Celtic, Rangers, Hearts etc as you know exactly what you’re getting and he’ll battle non stop and cover lots of ground.

But it’s games like yesterday where he needs to improve and dominate more, drive us forward and spread the play quickly in the final third to get our match winners on the ball and in space.

Same applies to JDH.