hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Campbell

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar

Josh Campbell

Surprised he got away without getting a thread created.

Someone was saying to me today that kelty were supposedly sniffing about at the start of the season and unfortunately that’s probably his level.

I watched him quite a bit today and the amount of times he hid behind a st J player in the middle of the park was mental. At times there was huge gaps he could’ve moved into to pick the ball up but decided not to move and instead point at everyone else.

I know he probably wouldn’t be near the team if we were at full fitness but he should be doing a lot more now he’s getting a chance. Genuinely like a man down

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Good thread. Helpful.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Couldn't agree more. Not having the age thing, we have players around his age playing far, far better. Almost cost us in both halfs with poor passes, and Ryan correctly going nuts at him after it. JDH isn't great, but he is actually miles ahead of Campbell in terms of his involvement. Always looking to take the ball and move it. Campbell, as far as I can see, offers nothing except some running about.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    a mega-long contract in his back pocket

@hibs.net private member
    I actually feel for the lad, he’s that much out his depth it’s painful to watch. Appreciate someone thought it was a good idea to dish out a 3 year contract but he’s not good enough, I honestly think he’d struggle to get a game at any other club in the Premiership.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    in his defence, he wouldn’t be close to a start if Magennis and Newell were fit. We’re having to rely on him but he’s bit at their level.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good thread. Helpful.
    To be fair he needs a rest. I think there is something there, I just feel he has been thrust into the first team and then been relied upon every week due to injuries. He'll come good.
    Last edited by Silky; 06-03-2022 at 12:15 AM.

Should be nowhere near the first team. Needs growing up a bit.

@hibs.net private member
    He’s shown in games such as Celtic at home/Rangers at hampden he can play a specific role in the side and it works well but for games like today it’s literally pointless because creatively he offers absolutely nothing. The decision to give him a long term contract was absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did he not play a blinder last week and was getting praised all over the shop?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    Agree I actually noticed him last week

Never really noticed him before or yesterday for that matter

We need better and he needs to do more if he wants to stay at Hibs

Sorry, I dont get the hes not really good enough bit, I think he is and getting a good run of games will prove it, last week he was excellent one of our best players and suddenly hes not good enough. Maybe it was a fluke, who's to say, these players dont get any better with not playing.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    Don’t think it’s a coincidence that his two best games have been against Celtc/Rangers when all he’s asked to do is run about and make a nuisance of himself/defend for the majority of the game. It’s the same reason Wright was getting praise last week. We’ve seen against Dundee and now St Johnstone just how much they struggle when asked to provide something more to the team.

@hibs.net private member
    Giving him the extension was madness at the time and looks an even worse decision now. He’s miles off the level we need unfortunately.

@hibs.net private member 18Craig75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Don’t think it’s a coincidence that his two best games have been against Celtc/Rangers when all he’s asked to do is run about and make a nuisance of himself/defend for the majority of the game. It’s the same reason Wright was getting praise last week. We’ve seen against Dundee and now St Johnstone just how much they struggle when asked to provide something more to the team.
    This is exactly it. We came to the same conclusion yesterday, also had Drey Wright & Doyle-Hayes in the same bracket. JDH in particular had a 15 minute spell when he would take a pass and straight away without looking anywhere around him, he’d return it where it came from.

This is the reason we can’t create chances, too many players hiding and playing it safe. Judging by the players we’ve signed in January, I’m confident this will be addressed properly in the summer. Unfortunate about the long deals.

What a shocking thread.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    in his defence, he wouldn’t be close to a start if Magennis and Newell were fit. We’re having to rely on him but he’s bit at their level.
    The issue is someone at the club thought it was a good idea to give him a long term contract.

We have a guy who is almost 22 so not a bairn, who has played not a kick in the erse of 100 senior games so not inexperienced on a 3 year contract and he is miles off it.

He wouldn't be close to a start if those mentioned were fit, if we finally get recruitment right in the summer he'll be even further from a start but we are tied to paying him a wage until 2025. I'd love him to shut me and everyone else up and prove us wrong but there isn't one element of his game that stands out as being something to work with beyond him trying hard.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The issue is someone at the club thought it was a good idea to give him a long term contract.

We have a guy who is almost 22 so not a bairn, who has played not a kick in the erse of 100 senior games so not inexperienced on a 3 year contract and he is miles off it.

He wouldn't be close to a start if those mentioned were fit, if we finally get recruitment right in the summer he'll be even further from a start but we are tied to paying him a wage until 2025. I'd love him to shut me and everyone else up and prove us wrong but there isn't one element of his game that stands out as being something to work with beyond him trying hard.
    Pretty much says it all good post mate

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    What a shocking thread.
    Agree. Pathetic stuff.

First Team Breakthrough
    What a shocking thread.
    totally agree, young player who has broke into the first team this season. Josh has great energy and will continue to improve. We have no experience in the middle of the park to guide the youngsters. To single out Campbell when JDH and Wright hide is ludicrous, get off the laddies back.

@hibs.net private member
    What a shocking thread.
    Care to tell us what Campbell brings to the table if that’s the case? Other than trying I don’t think most of us can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Sorry, I dont get the hes not really good enough bit, I think he is and getting a good run of games will prove it, last week he was excellent one of our best players and suddenly hes not good enough. Maybe it was a fluke, who's to say, these players dont get any better with not playing.

hes been involved in pretty much every match or squad since the ranger semi final, he’s had a good run of games.

what he’s proven is that in games where he’s tasked with making a nuisance of himself against good opposition midfielders, he’ll do a turn. When he’s asked to do anything else, he struggles. He’s given the ball away on multiple occasions in dangerous areas (twice yesterday alone), and has a habit of always being behind opposition players when we’re taking throw ins etc, and never moves to show for the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Care to tell us what Campbell brings to the table if that’s the case? Other than trying I don’t think most of us can see it.
    Breaks up play.
    Supports in attack and defence.
    Puts pressure on the opposition.
    Man of the match performance last week.
    Currently playing in a makeshift team not conceding many goals.

21 matches played,one goal,3 assists.

I like Campbell,room for improvement but the criticism is way over the top for me.

I’d say “most” are clueless reactionary morons when it comes to football.

@hibs.net private member
    I’d say “most” are clueless reactionary morons when it comes to football.
    If you’re so clued up then you’ll be able to tell all us clueless reactionary morons what we’re not seeing then?

Josh at the moment wouldn’t start in a fully fit 11 but he’s a young lad who has potential and more than competent when selected to represent Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Agreed 100%.

Hes just not good enough. Hes no better than Scott Martin was a few years back. No one can question the engine on him but he is badly found lacking technically and its nearly cost us on a few occassions in the last 2 games in and around our box. Its not his fault but giving him a new deal on the back of a couple of games was bizarre.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If you’re so clued up then you’ll be able to tell all us clueless reactionary morons what we’re not seeing then?
    What’s your job?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyrougier123 View Post
    Breaks up play.
    Supports in attack and defence.
    Puts pressure on the opposition.
    Man of the match performance last week.
    Currently playing in a makeshift team not conceding many goals.

21 matches played,one goal,3 assists.

I like Campbell,room for improvement but the criticism is way over the top for me.
    He doesn’t support anything in attack for me. He can’t pass a ball and can’t dribble. Short of potentially running up and down the pitch and just being in the vicinity then I’m not sure how he’s supporting our attack.

For me, he runs about a bit. He gets beat far too easy one-on-one, is a terrible passer, constantly wants to offload the ball back the way (probably because he’s such a poor passer) and offers nothing going forward.

Letting Hallberg go without a replacement coming in was an awful decision by Maloney. It means we literally have no option than persist with the 2 CMs.

Maybe next week we can get Lewis back in there.

The Campbell extension was extreme but what about Doyle Hayes? A player we actually recruited…. he’s nowhere near good enough either.