hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shane Warne

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Legend. Just one of the greatest and the greatest spin bowler ever. Really sad.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Whilst driving home tonight , the radio mentioned the death of an Australian cricket legend , I was expecting a piece on Rod Marsh, when Shane Warne's name came up I thought I'd miss heard at first. I'm truly shocked about this. The word legend gets bandied about to often but Shane Warne was a true legend of not jus cricket but sport , he transcend the cricket to become an icon . R.I.P.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Really special cricketer who along with McGrath destroyed teams as part of one of the iconic Australian sides.

The last 30 years has had some special bowlers, Warne was a big personality, loved his sport and brought you along with him. Probably great fun on a night out. And definitely one of the greatest.

(personally think Murali is the best spinner to play the game)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Just heard this and I’m shocked.

I loved to watch Warne bowl. The way he would work batsmen over and the judicious use of sledging, often hilarious. A very capable lower middle order batsmen and terrific close fielder.

He was such an intelligent cricketer and a great character. You could imagine he’d be great company over a few beers.

One of the few cricketers who non cricket fans knew. He will be sadly missed. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just heard this and I’m shocked.

I loved to watch Warne bowl. The way he would work batsmen over and the judicious use of sledging, often hilarious. A very capable lower middle order batsmen and terrific close fielder.

He was such an intelligent cricketer and a great character. You could imagine he’d be great company over a few beers.

One of the few cricketers who non cricket fans knew. He will be sadly missed. RIP.
    One of the great characters of world sport, not just cricket.

Not sure if he kept himself in great health (Michael Vaughan's tribute to him mentions him 'sticking to his usual lasagne sandwiches slathered with butter' for Christmas dinner). But then a lot of that generation of sportsmen were less focused on clean living. One of the Rod Marsh obituaries mentions him breaking the record for cans of beer drunk (44) on the flight from Australia to England for an Ashes series. Prior to boarding he'd apparently sunk a couple of bottles of Bacardi at the airport.

Warne told a story when he was travelling to England for his 1st ashes tour and sitting beside Merv Hughes. He asked Merv what was so special about England and the ashes.

4 things said Merv.

1. We don't have to fly everywhere. Just hop on buses, have a few beers, play the guitar.

2. We are sponsored by a beer company.

3. We still have rest days in test cricket.

4. England are crap 😁

Just watched his memorial service.

What a guy, no one is guaranteed tomorrow.

Live the dream.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    One of the great characters of world sport, not just cricket.

Not sure if he kept himself in great health (Michael Vaughan's tribute to him mentions him 'sticking to his usual lasagne sandwiches slathered with butter' for Christmas dinner). But then a lot of that generation of sportsmen were less focused on clean living. One of the Rod Marsh obituaries mentions him breaking the record for cans of beer drunk (44) on the flight from Australia to England for an Ashes series. Prior to boarding he'd apparently sunk a couple of bottles of Bacardi at the airport.
    Think David Boon drunk 52 cans in a later flight to England.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Think David Boon drunk 52 cans in a later flight to England.
    That was the 1989 tour. I had heard that the total for the 1993 tour was the collective record. Almost predictably, they smashed England to pieces on that trip, including Warne’s ‘ball of the century’ to Gatting.

I watched some of the memorial programme for Shane Warne last night and it looked quite a show. I saw the bit where his children all took turns to stand in front of the big audience, there and on television, and talk very openly about how great a dad he had been and how they missed him so much. Very powerful and moving stuff, hard to watch but impossible not to listen to them.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    That was the 1989 tour. I had heard that the total for the 1993 tour was the collective record. Almost predictably, they smashed England to pieces on that trip, including Warne’s ‘ball of the century’ to Gatting.

I watched some of the memorial programme for Shane Warne last night and it looked quite a show. I saw the bit where his children all took turns to stand in front of the big audience, there and on television, and talk very openly about how great a dad he had been and how they missed him so much. Very powerful and moving stuff, hard to watch but impossible not to listen to them.
    Saw bits of it was very moving watching his kids speak.