hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Covers

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar

Greatest Covers

After a few jars tonight it got me thinking, what is the best cover?

my vote...

2. Log in to remove the advert

All Along the Watchtower - Hendrix/Dylan
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Lennon - Stand By Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All Along the Watchtower - Hendrix/Dylan

Hendrix had a few legendary covers, All along the watchtower was one and up there with that was Hey Joe!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I love the Nine Inch Nails cover of Hurt by Johnny Cash...

I had a Star Wars duvet cover when I was a bairn. Loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Lennon - Stand By Me.
    Knocks spots off the original. In my top 3, but Soft Cell Tainted Love is awesome.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    Knocks spots off the original. In my top 3, but Soft Cell Tainted Love is awesome.

Think there's two kinds of covers.

With the likes of Soft Cell it was really only Northern fans who knew the Gloria Jones original, and Almond and Ball took something good, made it great and more accessible, or beyond great really because of the extent to which it still stands out today.

On the other hand there's the taking of something well-known and doing something different with it - not listened to Radio 1 Live Lounge for years (do they still even do it?) but they exemplified the indie/guitar act doing the pop/dance track and vice versa, best-illustrated early on by the otherwise-dreary Travis showing why Britney's "...Baby One More Time" was a fantastically-written pop song when it was stripped down to its basics.

But when it comes down to it, would have to agree with the shout for "All Along The Watchtower", one of the genuine all-time greats, but then the original songwriter also penned "Mr Tambourine Man" and "My Back Pages" which were made into classics by the Byrds........

"Hounds of Love" is a personal favourite too, and just reinforces how good Kate Bush was and how talented the Futureheads are/were.

To introduce one that's not been mentioned, Tricky "Black Steel" was a ****ing classic that was a cover of a ****ing classic

Or Sinead O'Connor covering Prince
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

With the likes of Soft Cell it was really only Northern fans who knew the Gloria Jones original, and Almond and Ball took something good, made it great and more accessible, or beyond great really because of the extent to which it still stands out today.

On the other hand there's the taking of something well-known and doing something different with it - not listened to Radio 1 Live Lounge for years (do they still even do it?) but they exemplified the indie/guitar act doing the pop/dance track and vice versa, best-illustrated early on by the otherwise-dreary Travis showing why Britney's "...Baby One More Time" was a fantastically-written pop song when it was stripped down to its basics.

But when it comes down to it, would have to agree with the shout for "All Along The Watchtower", one of the genuine all-time greats, but then the original songwriter also penned "Mr Tambourine Man" and "My Back Pages" which were made into classics by the Byrds........

"Hounds of Love" is a personal favourite too, and just reinforces how good Kate Bush was and how talented the Futureheads are/were.

To introduce one that's not been mentioned, Tricky "Black Steel" was a ****ing classic that was a cover of a ****ing classic

That's the one for me. Love the original, but this is just incredible:

That was the track that initially got me in to one of my all time favourite albums.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Step On by Happy Mondays. Also Arab Straps version of Whole Again by Atomic Kitten- similar to Travis version of Britney Spears tune mentioned above, but with more comedy value. The Bluetones also did a good version of call the shots by girls aloud.
    Last edited by Mr White; 13-09-2013 at 06:22 AM.

SAHB. Next. They did a few covers but this one is quite simply superb.

Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    The Jam David Watts

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Raspberry Beret - Hindu Love Gods

Lemonheads - Mrs Robinson

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar

I much prefer this version

http://youtu.be/9R-vfScMKM0

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    I much prefer this version

http://youtu.be/9R-vfScMKM0
    Singer ruins it. As poor as I've heard in a long time.

First Team Breakthrough deeks01's Avatar
    The two that spring to mind have already been mentioned. Lennon's Stand By Me & Johnny Cash's Hurt. Both excellent. Think Johnny Cash just shades it for me though. The Jams David Watts is not quite in that league for me but still a class shout. The Strypes version of Got Love If You Want It is another one worth a mention.

Going to go off on a tangent here but at wickerman festival this year I witnessed The Tyneside Steel Band covering David Gueta (I think?) Titanium. By far the most interesting and unique cover I have ever heard.

EDIT - As far as live cover versions go Ocean Colour Scene do an utterly magical version of The Beatles Day Tripper which I felt needed a mention here.
    Last edited by deeks01; 13-09-2013 at 12:22 PM.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Idlewilds cover of Teenage Fanclub's Everything Flows, Dinosaur Jrs cover of Just Like Heaven and King Creosote covering Nothing Compares 2 U are all ace.

Also this Chuck Woods Cover.
    Last edited by kdhibees1; 13-09-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Love Vigilantes by Iron and Wine. Not a big new order fan and prefer this to the original. He does a few good covers actually-Such Great Heights by Postal Service too. Reckon Ryan Adams version of Wonderwall beats liams whining vocals on the original also.

I believe I can fly - Me first and the Gimme Gimmes.

Cannae believe that nobody has mentioned Celine Dion's version of the ACDC classic You Shook Me All Night Long....... It's absolutely breathtaking ;)
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1niTEkP-6eo

*an extra special mention must be made of the 'interpretation'(murdering) of my favourite guitar solo.
    Last edited by brianmc; 13-09-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Cannae believe that nobody has mentioned Celine Dion's version of the ACDC classic You Shook Me All Night Long....... It's absolutely breathtaking ;)
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1niTEkP-6eo

*an extra special mention must be made of the 'interpretation'(murdering) of my favourite guitar solo.
    Love one of the top comments on Youtube. I take its pertaining to her antics at the beginning.

TheRuptineer 2 weeks ago
    does she know how a guitar works?

Reply · 24

Quote Originally Posted by South Sub View Post
    Love Vigilantes by Iron and Wine. Not a big new order fan and prefer this to the original. He does a few good covers actually-Such Great Heights by Postal Service too. Reckon Ryan Adams version of Wonderwall beats liams whining vocals on the original also.
    Ryan Adams Wonderwall is great. Noel Gallagher effectively ended up covering a cover of his own song with the version he's done in recent years.

Oasis had a few good covers - Cum On Feel the Noize, Heroes and of course I Am the Walrus which started the whole thing.

Personally love some of the Beatles early covers too.

@hibs.net private member Off the bar's Avatar
    The clash's version of the Bobby Fuller fours I fought the law is a great example of a cover being better known and better performed than the original, also love the Nirvana cover of the man who sold the world on the MTV unplugged record

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Ryan Adams Wonderwall is great. Noel Gallagher effectively ended up covering a cover of his own song with the version he's done in recent years.

Oasis had a few good covers - Cum On Feel the Noize, Heroes and of course I Am the Walrus which started the whole thing.

Personally love some of the Beatles early covers too.
    agree with all of that noels version of wonderwall on the 95 glastonbury coverage is the first and best version I ever heard of it