hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar

Fine wine thread

Whats your favourite?

Enjoying one of my faves a fine bottle of Barolo, a birthday present this week.

Favourite white NZ Sauvignon blanc.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Buckfast, partial to a wee magnum sometimes as well, heats ye right up with all they fancy Jamaican spices. The eldorado reboot is rotten though, ruined it with about 9 bags of sugar.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Lock keepers shiraz from Marks and Spencer. Fruity and easy to drink.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Rattler's Avatar
    Really into big Italian reds just now and this one must be one of my favourites
    https://www.virginwines.co.uk/wine/Z...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

For whites - not too fussy, but tend to find that Picpoul de Pinet is really easy drinking and won't break the bank

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I’m not keen on red wine, but love a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc.

When I think fine wine i think limited production and high prices. Its been a while since I spent more than £20 on a bottle of wine, id much rather find bargains that i know i like. Theres a portuguese wine called Porta 6 at £8 that Majestic have been doing for years and now the supermarkets have it, both the red and white are delicious, bright painting of a lisbon street scene on the label. I dont even know the grape variety, i assume its a blend of local grapes.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    4 wine makers Malbec is very nice. Kaiken is another one - more expensive but it’s one of those ones that really shows it’s price. £12 or so for the Kaiken and the other about £6.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    I do like a good Malbec.

like the dude in Sideways said “I’m not drinking any effing Merlot!”
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I think fine wine i think limited production and high prices. Its been a while since I spent more than £20 on a bottle of wine, id much rather find bargains that i know i like. Theres a portuguese wine called Porta 6 at £8 that Majestic have been doing for years and now the supermarkets have it, both the red and white are delicious, bright painting of a lisbon street scene on the label. I dont even know the grape variety, i assume its a blend of local grapes.
    I’ve had that. It’s really nice.

I’m not a big fan of spending a fortune on wine. I find my pallet sort of stops sensing any differences when I get to about £12

I like a lot of the red wines off Laithwaites and you get some cracking deals.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    For white, I like a good Viognier or Gewürztraminer.

For red, I like a Zinfandel/Primitivo or Shiraz. Malbec with steak.

Naked Wines do a really nice South African Shiraz-Viognier which I now have quite a lot of as I didn’t realise I hadn’t unticked the please send me a case every vintage when I rated it

I'm not really a fan of spending huge amounts on wine.

When I worked in hospitality the head somelier in a hotel I worked in said that any fool can spend £100s on wine and find something good. Someliers were judged on their house wine because sourcing something of high quality at a relative low price took skill.

I generally won't go above about £12 a bottle. There are a couple of exceptions though. Greywacke Wild Sauvignon Blance at about £28 a bottle. It's made with wild yeast and is a real cracker. In terms of red Gusbourne, which is an English Pinot noir and is brilliant. It's not easy to come by but hits about £35 a bottle. They also do a couple of amazing sparkling wines.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Anyone tried Naked Wines? Worth signing up?

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    No point dressing up.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    I like it. Probably a slightly expensive way of buying wine but a lot of the pre mixed cases are decent value and you get a freebie most orders.

It is a good way of trying different things too.

Their customer service is decent too. The Yodel delivery driver told me that something had smashed in the van but he wasn’t sure which box it had come from. I opened the box and everything was fine.

He obviously reported back that my box had a bottle smash, so Naked told me to keep whatever was salvageable (everything), sent me a replacement box and 2 free bottles as an apology. I was quids in!

Edit: it’s worth doing the trial even if you don’t continue.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Drunk so many bottles of Porta I can't remember how many 🥳

Also really like Lifili (Italian) from Majestic

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I like it. Probably a slightly expensive way of buying wine but a lot of the pre mixed cases are decent value and you get a freebie most orders.

It is a good way of trying different things too.

Their customer service is decent too. The Yodel delivery driver told me that something had smashed in the van but he wasn’t sure which box it had come from. I opened the box and everything was fine.

He obviously reported back that my box had a bottle smash, so Naked told me to keep whatever was salvageable (everything), sent me a replacement box and 2 free bottles as an apology. I was quids in!

Edit: it’s worth doing the trial even if you don’t continue.
    Thanks for this

£6.50 (clubcard price) in Tesco atm.

Portugese wine is pretty underrated I think. Aldi do a really nice Alvarinho (aka Albarino in Spain) for £7. Bargain. I love Aldi for wine.

Amarone is my favourite Red.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    Amarone is my favourite Red.
    Mine too. If I’m in that kind of mood. 14.5%, they let the grapes wizzen on the vines to give a sweeter flavour with more depth. Not one for knocking back, I like it either with as an accompaniment to some sort of rich stew or drunk like a port I think, after letting it breathe for an hour or two. A serious wine.

Blog Entries
    Cabalié Laithwaites £10 A Grenache based blend. 13%
    Cabalié Grandes Vignes Laithwaites £14 A Grenache based blend. 13.5%
    Both very smooth, deep red ...... my go-to Reds They’re often on good case discounts.
    Langue D’oc France.

16 Little Black Pigs Cabernet Sauvignon 14% Virgin Wines £10
    16 Little Black Pigs Shiraz Virgin Wines 14% Virgin Wines £10
    16 Little Black Pigs Shiraz Cabernet 14% Virgin Wines £10

All excellent, smooth, deep red. Australian Reds.
    Last edited by Jim44; 05-03-2022 at 03:28 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Both very smooth, deep red ...... my go-to Reds They’re often on good case discounts.
    Langue D’oc France.

Cabalie is probably my favourite wine all things considered. Superb.

I really like Lobo E Falcao, Stones and Bones and Black Stump off Laithwaites as well.

laithwaites.co.uk/heroes22

I used this deal a month or so back. 12 bottles of wine for £65 and then they threw in a free bottle of Cabalie instead of the Prosecco for some reason (wasn’t complaining at all) and also 4 tumblers for free. All the wines are more than drinkable in the offer.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 05-03-2022 at 08:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Cabalie is probably my favourite wine all things considered. Superb.

I really like Lobo E Falcao, Stones and Bones and Black Stump off Laithwaites as well.

laithwaites.co.uk/heroes22

I used this deal a month or so back. 12 bottles of wine for £65 and then they threw in a free bottle of Cabalie instead of the Prosecco for some reason (wasn’t complaining at all) and also 4 tumblers for free. All the wines are more than drinkable in the offer.
    …….. add Waxed Bat, XV President and Pillastro Primitivo + quite a few others and you have some great wines at sensible prices.

@hibs.net private member
    …….. add Waxed Bat, XV President and Pillastro Primitivo + quite a few others and you have some great wines at sensible prices.
    I’ll need to try Waxed Bat and XV President. I’ve got a few of the Primitivos waiting to be drunk

Langue D’oc France.

That’s mental - I was literally just searching cabalie online as had a bottle with friends last year and thought at the time it’s maybe my favourite I’ve ever had. First post I see when click on here is stubbsy’s reply to you both advocating it.

At least I know I’m not the only one that thinks it’s top class. Time to get the other bottle I’ve got stored away popped open I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I'm not really a fan of spending huge amounts on wine.

When I worked in hospitality the head somelier in a hotel I worked in said that any fool can spend £100s on wine and find something good. Someliers were judged on their house wine because sourcing something of high quality at a relative low price took skill.

I generally won't go above about £12 a bottle. There are a couple of exceptions though. Greywacke Wild Sauvignon Blance at about £28 a bottle. It's made with wild yeast and is a real cracker. In terms of red Gusbourne, which is an English Pinot noir and is brilliant. It's not easy to come by but hits about £35 a bottle. They also do a couple of amazing sparkling wines.
    An English Pinot Noir? I'm amazed such a thing could be created given how sensitive a grape it is but then I guess temperatures in the far south might just allow for it. Not surprised it's a rarity.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    An English Pinot Noir? I'm amazed such a thing could be created given how sensitive a grape it is but then I guess temperatures in the far south might just allow for it. Not surprised it's a rarity.
    Pinto Noir seems to do relatively well in the English vineyards. There are a few really good English sparkling wines that are heavy on the pinot too.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Blog Entries
    A few years ago, I had an expensively, indulgent and extravagant meal (tasting menu) at L’Enclume , Cartmel. The food was fantastic and the accompanying wines were outstanding, some of which, to my surprise were English.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    On a slightly different slant but still wine related, on visiting Cape Town (watching England v SA at cricket) me a couple of mates did the Stellenbosch wine trail. Pretty amazing and the best wine trail Ive been on. Visted 4 vineyards, the quality of the tour, service and quality of wine was fabulous, they werent excatly stingy on the samples either. We arrived back that night in Cape Town suitably oiled. A really fab day, would highly recommend.

Also did a champagne tour in France, that too was a great experience.

Chilean Cab Sav tonight.

@hibs.net private member
    Tried Porta 6 last night on the back of the recommendations on this thread.

Very nice, under £9 in Sainsburys.👍

@hibs.net private member alhibby's Avatar
    Been buying from these guys in Italy, can honestly say i haven't had one I dont like, either red or white, usually get the mixed case offers, free delivery, they also sell some Italian foodstuffs etc

No subscription

https://www.giordanowines.co.uk/