hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On a slightly different slant but still wine related, on visiting Cape Town (watching England v SA at cricket) me a couple of mates did the Stellenbosch wine trail. Pretty amazing and the best wine trail Ive been on. Visted 4 vineyards, the quality of the tour, service and quality of wine was fabulous, they werent excatly stingy on the samples either. We arrived back that night in Cape Town suitably oiled. A really fab day, would highly recommend.

Also did a champagne tour in France, that too was a great experience.

Chilean Cab Sav tonight.
    I love that sort of thing. Done a couple of them in New Zealand, one in Napa Valley and one in Italy. One of the ones in NZ was a cycling based one in Hawkes Bay and we were absolutely pished by the end of it - probably shouldn't have been cycling on the roads by that point. The woman running it, got us to miss off 2 vineyards as you really needed to be a strong, experienced cyclist to get to them, so god knows what we'd have been like at the end of it had we done the full thing.

2. Log in to remove the advert

It's worth considering joining The Wine Society. It's a co-operative with a one-off fee of £40 for a share and there are no commitments after that. I've been a member for ages now (I'm sure it was only a quid to join back then) - I get a mixed case for £85 every other month through their Wine Without Fuss scheme and the wine is always decent at the very least.

The best one I've had recently was the Baccolo Apassimento Rosso Veneto which is made in a similar way to that described by Hibsbollah a few posts back - £6.95 a bottle and just a bit too drinkable.

Here's some details: Join The Wine Society

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    When I think fine wine i think limited production and high prices. Its been a while since I spent more than £20 on a bottle of wine, id much rather find bargains that i know i like. Theres a portuguese wine called Porta 6 at £8 that Majestic have been doing for years and now the supermarkets have it, both the red and white are delicious, bright painting of a lisbon street scene on the label. I dont even know the grape variety, i assume its a blend of local grapes.
    Normally a 19 crimes man but took a punt on Porta 6 and thank you very much its really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by green leaves View Post
    Normally a 19 crimes man but took a punt on Porta 6 and thank you very much its really nice.
    Chuffed you and others are enjoying it. Weepleasures are important

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    When I think fine wine i think limited production and high prices. Its been a while since I spent more than £20 on a bottle of wine, id much rather find bargains that i know i like. Theres a portuguese wine called Porta 6 at £8 that Majestic have been doing for years and now the supermarkets have it, both the red and white are delicious, bright painting of a lisbon street scene on the label. I dont even know the grape variety, i assume its a blend of local grapes.
    I think Portuguese wine is underrated. A few years ago I had a week in Oporto and tried a lot of the local Douro wines…… they were excellent. I keep an eye open for Douro wines these days. Lidl had a cheapie called Animus Douro, only a fiver a bottle, but very drinkable. I haven’t seen it recently, however.