hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    The corruption at FIFA rearing its ugly head again. Not fit for purpose. The fact they gave it to Qatar as well is so wrong. Would love all teams to tell them to ram the world cup this time round. Never happen but would show FIFA what the football world thinks of them.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wikipedia (not necessarily the most reliable source) documents over 100 counties having been invaded since the end of WW2. The Ukrainian situation is truly horrible and I sympathise with all involved but it’s not going to stop the World Cup.
    Oh good!

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Think the English FA have announced tonight that no English team at any level will play Russian opposition until further notice.
    Yes English international teams, although not necessarily English clubs.

Looks like it'll be pushed back to June.

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has confirmed Scotland's World Cup play-off with Ukraine will be delayed until June, Shakhtar Donetsk's director of football Darijo Srna has revealed.

Ukraine officially requested a postponement of the Hampden semi-final showdown scheduled for two weeks on Thursday after Russia invaded their country, with their domestic league suspended indefinitely.

UEFA and FIFA are expected to make their final decision in the coming days about Scotland's clash with Ukraine and Wales' home tie against Austria, with the winners due to face each other for a place at the Qatar finals.

Ceferin personally intervened to allow many of Ukraine's international home-based players and foreign stars based in Ukraine safe passage to his home country of Slovenia.

Srna, who was capped 134 times by Croatia, contacted Ceferin for help in getting his players to safety.

And he's revealed UEFA and FIFA have already decided to move Scotland's game back to June.

He said: "I spoke with UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin again today. He has stood up for Ukrainian football.

"I understand that no one cares about football now, but he told me that the match between Ukraine and Scotland will be postponed to June.

"In addition, there will be a special transfer window set up to allow players based in Ukraine a temporary transfer to allow them to get back playing football.

"I contacted him when war broke out to ask for help. He personally helped to organise a train to get the players out of the country.

"He promised he would help the players and he has been as good as his word.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Looks like it'll be pushed back to June.

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has confirmed Scotland's World Cup play-off with Ukraine will be delayed until June, Shakhtar Donetsk's director of football Darijo Srna has revealed.

Ukraine officially requested a postponement of the Hampden semi-final showdown scheduled for two weeks on Thursday after Russia invaded their country, with their domestic league suspended indefinitely.

UEFA and FIFA are expected to make their final decision in the coming days about Scotland's clash with Ukraine and Wales' home tie against Austria, with the winners due to face each other for a place at the Qatar finals.

Ceferin personally intervened to allow many of Ukraine's international home-based players and foreign stars based in Ukraine safe passage to his home country of Slovenia.

Srna, who was capped 134 times by Croatia, contacted Ceferin for help in getting his players to safety.

And he's revealed UEFA and FIFA have already decided to move Scotland's game back to June.

He said: "I spoke with UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin again today. He has stood up for Ukrainian football.

"I understand that no one cares about football now, but he told me that the match between Ukraine and Scotland will be postponed to June.

"In addition, there will be a special transfer window set up to allow players based in Ukraine a temporary transfer to allow them to get back playing football.

"I contacted him when war broke out to ask for help. He personally helped to organise a train to get the players out of the country.

"He promised he would help the players and he has been as good as his word.
    I fully support anything that will help the Ukrainians fulfil this fixture, as I've said before though I don't know what a postponement of a few weeks is really going to achieve.

I highly doubt they'll be in a position to play in three months' time either, although UEFA really had no option but to accept the request given the circumstances.

Hopefully I'm wrong though and we can look forward to a great game in June.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Game postponed.

Wales-Austria also being moved.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60650445
    Last edited by SteveHFC; 07-03-2022 at 11:42 PM.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Game postponed.

Wales-Austria also being moved.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60650445
    Does it confirm Wales Austria being moved? Thought it just mentioned the final being moved

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Does it confirm Wales Austria being moved? Thought it just mentioned the final being moved
    Yes that's correct. Wales v Austria is going ahead as planned but the final will obviously need to be moved due to the postponement of Scotland v Ukraine.

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    I do not believe we should be competing in any competition with Russia (or whatever they call themselves) in it.
    On the subject of problematic nations I'm far from comfortable with the World Cup taking place in Qatar in the first place. Wouldn't be too bothered if it got abandoned.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    FIFA have also announced a special transfer window, for one month til 7th April. Foreign players based in Ukraine and Russia can now move.

I dunno if that’s maybe something we would look at?

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    It is completely unrealistic to expect the Ukrainian players to be remotely in a headspace to fulfil this fixture, even if by some miracle this game can go ahead (it won’t).

Scotland probably can’t forfeit it, as that then sets a precedent - every other team, in fairness, would have to do the same, making Ukraine WC winners. I actually wouldn’t mind that one bit to be fair. Solution IMO is to expand the World Cup by the 4 European teams in question and postpone it until next year.

I wonder if Scotland will arrange an alternative fixture for March 24th.

On a personal level I've paid up front for flights and hotel for the Nations League game in Dublin in June. If I end up watching the World Cup play off game in a bar in Dublin I'll be sending Putin the bill.

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post

On a personal level I've paid up front for flights and hotel for the Nations League game in Dublin in June. If I end up watching the World Cup play off game in a bar in Dublin I'll be sending Putin the bill.
    I've booked up for that trip as well, but surely that game must be in doubt if they're talking about playing the semi-final on the 4th June and the final on the 7th?

The 4th and the 7th for the World Cup games and the 11th in Dublin would probably work.

I think we should make it an event in support of all victims of the war (bearing in mind that it isn't a war according to Russia). Something like Scotland vs Scotland/UK based rest of the world select (playing in Ukraine's colours). The football probably wouldn't be great but that shouldn't really matter.

Left by mutual consent!
    Wales v Austria goes ahead this month confirmed.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    It is completely unrealistic to expect the Ukrainian players to be remotely in a headspace to fulfil this fixture, even if by some miracle this game can go ahead (it won’t).

Scotland probably can’t forfeit it, as that then sets a precedent - every other team, in fairness, would have to do the same, making Ukraine WC winners. I actually wouldn’t mind that one bit to be fair. Solution IMO is to expand the World Cup by the 4 European teams in question and postpone it until next year.
    I'd love to see this happen.

As for Russia, they should be banned indefinitely from every sporting event on the planet.
    Last edited by WhileTheChief..; 08-03-2022 at 07:01 PM.

Have Poland been given a bye or will they play someone else? If they're free then they might be friendly opponents on the 24th at Hampden.

Have Poland been given a bye or will they play someone else? If they're free then they might be friendly opponents on the 24th at Hampden.
    They've been given a bye and Scotland are planning to play a friendly on 24th March and then against the loser of Austria v Wales on 29th March so yeah a game v Poland on 24th could be possible.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    They've been given a bye and Scotland are planning to play a friendly on 24th March and then against the loser of Austria v Wales on 29th March so yeah a game v Poland on 24th could be possible.
    Just play Israel again as we are due a fixture against them.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member
    Scotland Poland with proceeds to Ukraine would go down well, anyone got the tash's number

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post

Applies to Scotland too. Their heads would be scrambled playing against a Ukraine Xi, with no way to come out winners whatever the result.

We stand with Ukraine !

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    FIFA have also announced a special transfer window, for one month til 7th April. Foreign players based in Ukraine and Russia can now move.

I dunno if that’s maybe something we would look at?
    Ukrainian men cannot leave the country. Don’t see how this will help them in the slightest, they have much more important things on their mind.

J

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    The 4th and the 7th for the World Cup games and the 11th in Dublin would probably work.
    Backed up by this

https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...uaH_NHXXkJmGz4

First Team Breakthrough
    Cancel the shambles of the Qatar World Cup

First Team Breakthrough
    Should never been awarded or played there, least exciting World Cup in history

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk1875 View Post
    Should never been awarded or played there, least exciting World Cup in history
    I follow Scotland home and away and couldn't agree more. Absolutely no interest in this World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    I follow Scotland home and away and couldn't agree more. Absolutely no interest in this World Cup.
    Serious question, why bother then?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Serious question, why bother then?
    I think that’s fairly obvious that generally he (and others including me) love supporting Scotland and find the games and the trips away brilliant occasions.

But the idea of the World Cup being played in Qatar doesn’t sit well with him and he probably doesn’t want to go there.

Surely it’s not a serious question asking why bother following Scotland because he doesn’t agree with the w/c being in Qatar?

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I think that’s fairly obvious that generally he (and others including me) love supporting Scotland and find the games and the trips away brilliant occasions.

But the idea of the World Cup being played in Qatar doesn’t sit well with him and he probably doesn’t want to go there.

Surely it’s not a serious question asking why bother following Scotland because he doesn’t agree with the w/c being in Qatar?
    I suggest you read what he said, 'no interest in this World Cup', and not simply that he disagreed with the hosting location.