hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Hi Ren

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

Hi Ren

I'd been seeing a lot of folks talking about/reacting to this song by Ren ("Hi Ren") so decided to see what the fuss was about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_nc1IVoMxc

I cannot recommend this enough - this guy is a complete and utter genius. Far from my typical genre of choice, this combines gorgeous guitarwork, exemplary storytelling and an absolutely wounding lyrical journey on mental wellbeing, psychosis and self doubt.

Please, if you never listen to any music recommendation from me ever again, check this song out. Utterly incredible.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Ren is absolutely brilliant, reminds me of Jamie T’s early stuff. Especially like this: https://youtu.be/a4R9Vk5_CbU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    He’s incredible eh?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Not for me.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He’s incredible eh?
    Utterly!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    I'm so glad he referenced Eminem & Plan B as up until that point I was thinking he was a rip off artist 🫢
    To be fair though, with only 12 notes available and limited recognised chord progressions, it's no wonder it's all starting to sound the same these days 🤔

Quite clever and guy clearly has talent. However just sounds a bit more like an Edinburgh festival act than actual music to me, perhaps just my stubborn taste.

Good luck to him.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd been seeing a lot of folks talking about/reacting to this song by Ren ("Hi Ren") so decided to see what the fuss was about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_nc1IVoMxc

I cannot recommend this enough - this guy is a complete and utter genius. Far from my typical genre of choice, this combines gorgeous guitarwork, exemplary storytelling and an absolutely wounding lyrical journey on mental wellbeing, psychosis and self doubt.

Please, if you never listen to any music recommendation from me ever again, check this song out. Utterly incredible.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I went down the Ren rabbit hole at the weekend and wasn't disappointed, good back catalogue, beautiful sets, production and direction for his videos, exceptional song writing too. Hi Ren really affected me, so I went into a dive of the reaction vids on YouTube, pretty universally liked. Hi Ren is a special song, it is so relatable to so many people, it is very rare to get that. Watching the reaction vids everyone had a different reason as to why they related to it. The movement from dark to light in the song, how he goes from his demons to hope was so uplifting and the monologue at the end describes the human struggle everyone knows about. Definitely not the kind of music I would usually listen to, always good to get turned on to new music and this kinda blew my mind a wee bit.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.