hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics

Winter Olympics

Nobody watching it?

Quite enjoying the Big Air. Young Scottish lass, Kirsty Muir, has qualified for tonight's final (or rather Tuesday morning's, at 2am).

https://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-olympics/60284421
    Last edited by 007; 07-02-2022 at 09:22 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    eve muirhead has been terrible in this loss to switzerland, i think she's played four or five decent stones throughout, even having the hammer and everything set up for her last stone in the extra end and she still totally mucked up running straight through

MUCH better this time against the olympic champions sweden 8-2 with three ends to spare
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 10-02-2022 at 01:06 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    eve muirhead has been terrible in this loss to switzerland, i think she's played four or five decent stones throughout, even having the hammer and everything set up for her last stone in the extra end and she still totally mucked up running straight through

MUCH better this time against the olympic champions sweden 8-2 with three ends to spare
    Having to suffer Steve Cram and his patronising tone puts me off a wee bit. He honestly thinks he is more knowledgeable about curling than the expert co-commentators. Good wins for the women and men today though.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    The image of the artificial giant ski slope in front of the coal power plant is scarred into my brain...
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Some story in the snowboard cross for Lindsey Jacobellis. Pretty much dominated the sport for years but the Olympic gold medal has always been elusive (partly self inflicted!). Then she wins two golds in the space of days at the age of 36.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Enoying a lazy morning watching Sweden v Finland in the Ice Hockey. Sweden 3 up after two periods, Finland fought back to 3-3, I pretty big deal in Finland I would imagine.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Finland win 4-3 in OT, cracking game and fab comeback. Finlandia for breakfast in Helsinki

First Team Breakthrough
    The Short Track Speed Skating relay is absolute chaos but fabulous to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Having to suffer Steve Cram and his patronising tone puts me off a wee bit. He honestly thinks he is more knowledgeable about curling than the expert co-commentators. Good wins for the women and men today though.

i've listened to his co-commenting for a many years now for the curling and i actually think he's quite knowledgeable of the sport, but believe it or not it was only on friday that i've actually watched the lead-up to a curling game starting and i heard his name mentioned as co-commentator and only then did i click that he was THEE steve cram of running fame so just googled the now to confirm it was indeed him and one of the first articles is viewers complaining about the commentary done by him and paula radcliffe doing the 2018 Olympics, further research took me to a BBC forum and the first comment is....

Why on earth is Steve Cram commentating on the curling - he doesn’t have a clue about the tactics, how to build an end, etc.
    The number of times poor Rhona has to correct him, or point out what is going on is embarrassing.
    Jobs for the boys.

was that you
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 16-02-2022 at 12:47 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Hahaha...wisnae me but glad to hear I am not alone!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    15 year old Russian figure skater fails a drug test. ****in disgusting what they’re doing to win medals, I wonder if the parents are aware of what’s going on.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    15 year old Russian figure skater fails a drug test. ****in disgusting what they’re doing to win medals, I wonder if the parents are aware of what’s going on.
    Fails a drugs test, is allowed to continue competing, if wins will get a medal, but there won't be a medal ceremony. Whit? Doesn't seem very Olympian.

Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    Fails a drugs test, is allowed to continue competing, if wins will get a medal, but there won't be a medal ceremony. Whit? Doesn't seem very Olympian.
    All seems because of her age, if she was older she'd be disqualified and banned

Quote Originally Posted by LunasBoots View Post
    All seems because of her age, if she was older she'd be disqualified and banned
    It's odd eh? Understandable from the point of view of not wanting to ruin her career while she's still a child, it's also very unfair on both her competitors and teammates.

@hibs.net private member
    Should under 16s compete then, if they can whilst on drugs

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    The fact that Russia got to rebrand as the ROC and still compete in any sporting event is a farce in itself

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Yet sprinter Sha Carri Richardson has one joint, in her spare time, in a US state where it is legal, no performance enhancing benefit, gets banned from the last olympics.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 15-02-2022 at 07:21 PM.

turns out she had traces of three different heart drugs in her system, just one is banned though, i did feel sorry for such a young girl but now she's claiming the drugs were contaminated with her grandfathers medicine, a young girl thought up that one, aye right, 15 year old and taking a mixture of drugs that are a combination that can increase endurance, reduce fatigue and efficiency in using oxygen, ******* shame on any/all of the adults involved in this, whether with the consent of the 15 year old or not, i feel sad for her opponents, she's going to win and it's 100% tainted.

Am I the only person who loves watching the curling to the point of feeling almost addicted? I never think about it for 4 years but at every Olympics I can't get enough of it.

I'm the same when the BBC shows the World Bowls Championship. Wouldn't watch either curling or bowls any other time, have never played them but for those short periods I love them. The whole tactical nature of it, building an end, playing percentages and then sublime skill is just brilliant.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Am I the only person who loves watching the curling to the point of feeling almost addicted? I never think about it for 4 years but at every Olympics I can't get enough of it.

I'm the same when the BBC shows the World Bowls Championship. Wouldn't watch either curling or bowls any other time, have never played them but for those short periods I love them. The whole tactical nature of it, building an end, playing percentages and then sublime skill is just brilliant.
    My old dear's like this. Every time I phone her over this fortnight she's telling me about how the curlers are doing. She won't watch it again until 2026, God sparing. Sadly, I don't have the concentration span for it anymore. Stayed up to the early hours in 2002 though, to see Rhona etc winning the gold.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Same here, love the curling, the bowls too but I play bowls so that is no surprise. The curling is a fantastic game to watch and the skill and tactics are too class. Would love to try it but don’t know if I can get down that low 😁

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar

I love it as well. I probably would watch it outside of the Olympics but as far as I know this is the only time it's on UK tv.

First Team Breakthrough
    [QUOTE=nonshinyfinish;6860842]I love it as well. I probably would watch it outside of the Olympics but as far as I know this is the only time it's on UK tv.[/Q

Eurosport usually have coverage of world and European championships

I just caught the end to the women's round robins in the curling - dramatic stuff! Again, I'd probably struggle to remain engaged for a full game but the way GB v ROC then Sweden v Korea ended was pretty tense. Amazing how something which normally means nothing to you can draw you in like that.

what a disaster that 2nd end was, holding the hammer and USA steal two

0-2 after two ends

that's more like it, 3 picked up 3-2
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 17-02-2022 at 11:46 AM.

Nip and tuck here. This is going to go to the wire.

Shuster looks like he could start a career singing songs about his baby leaving him if curling doesn't work out.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davy67 + View Post
    Eurosport usually have coverage of world and European championships
    Thanks, will look out for it in future.

Nip and tuck here. This is going to go to the wire.

Shuster looks like he could start a career singing songs about his baby leaving him if curling doesn't work out.
    They've got the look of a proper bunch of good ol' boys eh?

Nothing in this game

I wish Steve Cram would shut his pus a bit more. You've got a co-commentating expert for a reason, Steve.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    There should be a rule for how many times you can blank an end, it’s all very negative.

United we stand here....