hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

Home draught beer dispenser

Has anyone got one of these? I’m thinking of buying but there seems to be a large number of different options and I’m not sure which is the best option. I’m thinking of buying this one, not necessarily with Stella.
    https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/perfectdr...starter-bundle

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

My pal has one and everytime I've been over to use it been really impressed. Helps you get Tennents on it as well, it's just like being in the pub but 1) less reprobates and 2) comfy couch. Win win really

Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My pal has one and everytime I've been over to use it been really impressed. Helps you get Tennents on it as well, it's just like being in the pub but 1) less reprobates and 2) comfy couch. Win win really
    Aye both good points. There seems to be quite a good choice of beers available, but some machines only take certain types of barrels. The ones that take any barrel seem to a bit cheaper but some of the reviews suggest they’re not the best quality.

United we stand here....

Just ordered one 2 days ago with a few different kegs. Think I got £50 off with SAVOO50 as a code. You can send your empty kegs back to Beerhawk (free shipping I think) and get credited with £5 per keg beer tokens and if you buy 3 kegs at once you get 15% off. Not actually been delivered yet, hopefully today but they are meant to be good machines and plenty of choice with kegs.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I’m keeping an eye on this one, I’ve wanted one for ages.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

The PerfectDraft beer machine is probably one of the best inventions since the wheel 😆

I've never been one to drink at home. Cans and bottles of ale are never the same as real beer but this serves real beer/lager!

I got one at the end of last year.

It was quite daunting loading the first barrel but it is so easy and pouring is a doddle too. Don't just try different beers/lagers try different glasses to get your perfect pint, doesn't even have to be a pint, just as much as you fancy.

With so many interesting beers/lagers I doubt I'll ever get round to loading tennents but be wary of the strong ones!

There's a few shops around Edinburgh sell barrels the only one actually in Edinburgh AFAIK is on Salamander Place. Its not a huge selection but enough to be interesting. Prices are the same as beerhawk and you get your fiver back on the old ones right away.

Most are priced between £20 and £30, less the fiver £25 for 10½ pints, £2.40 a pint.
    Last edited by Jack; 04-02-2022 at 08:00 AM.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    There's a few shops around Edinburgh sell barrels the only one actually in Edinburgh AFAIK is on Salamander Place. Its not a huge selection but enough to be interesting. Prices are the same as beerhawk and you get your fiver back on the old ones right away.

Most are priced between £20 and £30, less the fiver £25 for 10½ pints, £2.40 a pint.
    The Day-Today store at Wallyford is a decent stockist, I think they get more business selling beer for draft systems than anything else!

@hibs.net private member
    I got this one
    https://www.beerwulf.com/en-gb/the-s...SAAEgKR6PD_BwE

It holds 2L "kegs" and are mainly in the Heineken range (Birra Moretti, Tiger, Strongbow, Newcastle Brown etc). You'd be changing it a lot if you have folk round but if just for a few drinks it's very good and the beer/lager is much better than what you get in cans or bottles.

I looked at the one shared in the OP but when I looked at the beer selection I didn't recognise the brands so went with what I know.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    The Perfectdraft system is brilliant, I've had one for around a year now and one you are past the initial novelty factor of constantly drinking then it's a cracking addition to the house.

The only down side is for a keg to chill to the optimum temperature of 3c then it has to be in place for usually at least 12 hours. Therefore if changing kegs throughout the night then you'll have to wait for it to drop to a decent temperature from around 14c to whatever....3 is the optimum although I'm sure it'll be fine at warmer temperatures.

Some folk have put there kegs in the freezer, personally that's just asking to blow up your kitchen. It's bad enough when a bottle of beer is left in the freezer for too long!

Each keg lasts for 30 days before the beer goes off although the changes of getting anywhere near that deadline is slim :)

Oh the other downside is that as their is a level gauge the Mrs can see how much you've been drinking which sucks!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby

Home draught beer dispenser

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Has anyone got one of these? I’m thinking of buying but there seems to be a large number of different options and I’m not sure which is the best option. I’m thinking of buying this one, not necessarily with Stella.
    Had one for about 16 months and I love it. Some cracking kegs that I would probably not normally try.
    As a lager drinker, the Stella is much better than the cans we get in the UK and it’s stronger.
    Lowenbrau and Spaten are good and I love the LISA.
    Leffe blonde also good if you’re after something a bit stronger.

Currently doing a referral offer so feel free to use this if you want 15% off

PDR3-29FF-2A9T-I65W

I had considered the sub machine but couldn’t be bothered with the faff of changing kegs every 4 pints. Plus when you buy the perfect draft kegs in 3’s and use the 15% code it works out cheaper when you get the £5 back per returned keg too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CallumLaidlaw; 04-02-2022 at 10:12 AM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    The Perfectdraft system is brilliant, I've had one for around a year now and one you are past the initial novelty factor of constantly drinking then it's a cracking addition to the house.

The only down side is for a keg to chill to the optimum temperature of 3c then it has to be in place for usually at least 12 hours. Therefore if changing kegs throughout the night then you'll have to wait for it to drop to a decent temperature from around 14c to whatever....3 is the optimum although I'm sure it'll be fine at warmer temperatures.

Some folk have put there kegs in the freezer, personally that's just asking to blow up your kitchen. It's bad enough when a bottle of beer is left in the freezer for too long!

Each keg lasts for 30 days before the beer goes off although the changes of getting anywhere near that deadline is slim :)

Oh the other downside is that as their is a level gauge the Mrs can see how much you've been drinking which sucks!
    Thankfully my fridge is big enough to hold a couple of kegs otherwise this is an issue.
    Mind you, the back doorstep is a decent place to cool them in the current weather conditions

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Had one for about 16 months and I love it. Some cracking kegs that I would probably not normally try.
    As a lager drinker, the Stella is much better than the cans we get in the UK and it’s stronger.
    Lowenbrau and Spaten are good and I love the LISA.
    Leffe blonde also good if you’re after something a bit stronger.

Currently doing a referral offer so feel free to use this if you want 15% off

PDR3-29FF-2A9T-I65W

I had considered the sub machine but couldn’t be bothered with the faff of changing kegs every 4 pints. Plus when you buy the perfect draft kegs in 3’s and use the 15% code it works out cheaper when you get the £5 back per returned keg too.

Thanks for the code I will use that. I noticed that a few people mentioned having to buy CO2 canisters for their machines, do you need those for the perfect draught machine?

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

Thanks for the code I will use that. I noticed that a few people mentioned having to buy CO2 canisters for their machines, do you need those for the perfect draught machine?
    No, the keg comes pressurised so that's all you need.

Gamer IDs

As Wembley67 says, nope, all prepared for you. You buy the keg, clip it into the machine and either wait for it to get down to temperature or if you’ve already cooked the keg, get fired into it.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    I have, it's ace

The Stella is the real deal, not the stuff brewed in UK. Lowenbrau, Spaten & Jupiler are really good too.

If you order the kegs in 3s there are discount codes on Facebook groups for 15% off and you get £5 back on each keg returned. Plus you get 5% of spend credited to your account.

Downside is it is easy to slip into a habit.
    Last edited by degenerated; 04-02-2022 at 05:06 PM.

Cheers for all the replies, I’m going to go for the perfect draft machine.

United we stand here....

Just to make people who are thinking of buying one aware.

Rumour has it that an updated version of the PerfectDraft machine is coming out later this year. With this machine you will be able change the temperature, currently fixed at 3°. It might mean the price of the current machine drops.

The reason I hear they're doing this is to accommodate cider kegs.
    Space to let

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Just to make people who are thinking of buying one aware.

Rumour has it that an updated version of the PerfectDraft machine is coming out later this year. With this machine you will be able change the temperature, currently fixed at 3°. It might mean the price of the current machine drops.

The reason I hear they're doing this is to accommodate cider kegs.
    It’s already been piloted. Can’t say I’d be in a rush to upgrade. The new machine looks massive

Ordered my machine tonight, they’re doing a sale just now so I got £50 off, I also ordered 3 kegs and got a decent discount thanks to the code degenerated sent me. Looking forward to them arriving now, I’ve got Stella, Lowenbrau and Tennants ordered.

United we stand here....

I’ve had the Stella and the Tennants so far, both have been decent, preference would be slightly towards the Tennants as it pours a bit better. I’ve got a couple of barrels still to go, one being Lowenbrau, so I’m looking forward to that.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I’ve had the Stella and the Tennants so far, both have been decent, preference would be slightly towards the Tennants as it pours a bit better. I’ve got a couple of barrels still to go, one being Lowenbrau, so I’m looking forward to that.
    Lowenbrau is lovely. Other ones that I particularly like are:

Stella Unfiltered
    Stella
    Leffe Blonde
    Spaten

Though to be honest, the only one I’ve not been a fan of was Leffe Noel (the winter special)

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Lowenbrau is lovely. Other ones that I particularly like are:

Stella Unfiltered
    Stella
    Leffe Blonde
    Spaten

Though to be honest, the only one I’ve not been a fan of was Leffe Noel (the winter special)
    The Lowenbrau is lovely, easily the best I’ve tried so far.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    One of the reasons I got the sub was I felt a 5L was too big but the main reason was the beers available - I though Stella, Tennents and Lowenbrau would be Shan especially compared with Birra Moretti, Heineken, Tiger and Amstel.

Surprised to read so many like the Lowrnbrau - I always had it down as a bit of a jakeys drink.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    One of the reasons I got the sub was I felt a 5L was too big but the main reason was the beers available - I though Stella, Tennents and Lowenbrau would be Shan especially compared with Birra Moretti, Heineken, Tiger and Amstel.

Surprised to read so many like the Lowrnbrau - I always had it down as a bit of a jakeys drink.
    Opinions eh?! Heineken and Amstel are an embarrassment to the drinking culture 😁

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Opinions eh?! Heineken and Amstel are an embarrassment to the drinking culture 😁
    I’m not a massive fan of Amstel but Lowenbrau was always one in the jakes section with kestrel and skol?

I’m no beer expert though - I just know I prefer Heineken and Moretti.

Gamer IDs

I’m not a massive fan of Amstel but Lowenbrau was always one in the jakes section with kestrel and skol?

I've never bought into this expert on anything really...if you like it then it's your choice.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar

I’ve got both a sub and a PD. I originally got a sub because I didn’t think I’d get through a PD keg in time and also because it had cider on it too.

I found it was annoying to have to continuously change the sub kegs as I was getting through them quickly.

I find it quite a good mix - you can have two beers on the go at one time, or a beer and a cider.

The other thing to remember is that a few of the beers you get on either machine are not the same versions you get in the UK in the pub or in a bottle/can.

For example, Stella on the PD is the Belgian version at 5% not the 4.6% stuff you get here and tastes a lot better.

Amstel on the sub is also the Dutch 5% version, not the 4.1% version that is sold in the UK and again tastes a lot better.

It’s funny you mention that as Tennants Super is considered a cool drink in Italy. I’ve never noticed Lowenbrau in this country, but the stuff I’ve bought is much stronger than the likes of Kestrel and Skol.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    Is the Italian style advertised Moretti not brewed at the non Italian Gyle ?

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Is the Italian style advertised Moretti not brewed at the non Italian Gyle ?
    I don't think there's any brewing at the Gyle, with the exception of the Edinburgh Beer Factory.
    Heineken who ultimately took over Scottish Brewers have their head offices on South Gyle Broadway but there's no brewing plant there.
    Does that mean all the Birra Moretti is made at the Caley brewery?