hibs.net Messageboard

Edinburgh and Midlothian/East Lothian Gyms

So I'm a member at PureGym at Fort Kinnaird, and it's always stupidly busy and it's mega frustrating. Someone was telling me it's currently the 4th busiest PureGym in the UK! Which is mental when you consider London, Manchester etc..

I've been having a look online at other gyms within a reasonable distance, and the options are pretty limited apart from leisure centre gyms in schools but they are lacking in equipment. I gave The Gym at Cameron Toll a go on a day pass, and likewise whilst it was busy and equipment wise fine it's just a bit out of the way.

Another option I do have is Oriam, as my work is only a 5 minute drive away. Just wondering if anyone is a member there or has experience and can let me know what it's like in terms of how busy it is etc? Or if there are any other options within Mid/East Lothian? Just looking for somewhere that's not constantly busy.

Cheers

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So I'm a member at PureGym at Fort Kinnaird, and it's always stupidly busy and it's mega frustrating. Someone was telling me it's currently the 4th busiest PureGym in the UK! Which is mental when you consider London, Manchester etc..

I've been having a look online at other gyms within a reasonable distance, and the options are pretty limited apart from leisure centre gyms in schools but they are lacking in equipment. I gave The Gym at Cameron Toll a go on a day pass, and likewise whilst it was busy and equipment wise fine it's just a bit out of the way.

Another option I do have is Oriam, as my work is only a 5 minute drive away. Just wondering if anyone is a member there or has experience and can let me know what it's like in terms of how busy it is etc? Or if there are any other options within Mid/East Lothian? Just looking for somewhere that's not constantly busy.

Cheers
    I go to Energize at Edinburgh Park which isn't that far away from the Oriam in the car. Its OK, though I prefer the Pure Gym / The Gym 24/7 concept and equipment. I think some of the equipment is a bit old looking and there's a member of staff (I think she might be the assistant manager) who is just plain strange and unfriendly but its usually quite quiet.

I'm hoping the gym that's opening in the old PC Word at Corstorphine is more of a Pure Gym / The Gym type setup and if so I'll be moving there.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I go to Energize at Edinburgh Park which isn't that far away from the Oriam in the car. Its OK, though I prefer the Pure Gym / The Gym 24/7 concept and equipment. I think some of the equipment is a bit old looking and there's a member of staff (I think she might be the assistant manager) who is just plain strange and unfriendly but its usually quite quiet.

I'm hoping the gym that's opening in the old PC Word at Corstorphine is more of a Pure Gym / The Gym type setup and if so I'll be moving there.
    Funny that, I’m planning on moving to Energise from Pure. Seems good value with the pool & spa (can take wee boy on weekends etc)

A lot really depends on what you plan to use a membership for.

Edinburgh Leisure is pricey at over £50 for a full membership but if you plan to swim, use the gym, use saunas, steam rooms and go to classes then it's arguably decent value. Add to that discounted climbing, golf, tennis and so on and it's not bad for what you get.

I'm also a member of PureGym at Fort Kinnaird and agree it's ridiculously busy. I'm lucky in that I only live 5 minutes walk away so can nip in after 10 at night when it starts to quieten down, I can also get in about 4.30-5am before it starts to pick up. I get it for half price through my work but no way would I pay full whack for what you get. I only use it to lift a few weights and very occasionally use the treadmill if conditions outside are too snowy or icy to run and that has never been an issue this winter so far.

I was at Bannantynes next to the Cuddie Brae for a while and would say to avoid at all costs. Overpriced, a bit manky, a few really unfriendly members of staff and I can count on one hand the number of weeks the pool or jacuzzi weren't closed on at least 1 or 2 days due to 'unforeseen circumstances'.

Not really much help to you there really.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

Ive registered for the new gym at pc world, open 24/7, decent price as well, hope it opens soon, im at jd gyms in wester hailes as its on my way to work

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft

I use the Energize. If you're talking about Michelle I find her pleasant enough.

I'd agree the equipment is maybe a bit dated but on the other hand I never find it too busy which given my shape is a definite plus point
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Cheers folks..

I feel like PureGym has started to quieten down a little bit now the January rush is over but yeah still too busy really.

I got a 3 day pass for Oriam, some of the equipment is a bit different but it was nowhere near as busy and was good to get a full workout in for once. Going to give this Energize place a go and will pick one between the two.