hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norwegian link

Norwegian link

What are your thoughts on the Norwegian link?

In the Scotsman article regarding the possible signing of Runar Hauge they state "it is understood that Hibs were made aware of his availability over the weekend, thanks to chief executive Ben Kensell’s long-standing relationship with the Norwegian club’s academy manager Gregg Broughton, who formerly fulfilled the same role at Norwich and the club have wasted little time in making their move."

Whilst the signings of Runar Hauge and Elias Melkersen have generally been viewed as positives, they are only 20 and 19 respectively with only Hauge having played in the Norwegian top division and both been on loan last season to 2nd division teams. However, they have both played for the Norwegian teams below the full international team. They are obviously ones for the future, but as we know some players don't progress to the next level. Think about players like Ollie Shaw and Alex Harris, plus many others.

I am slightly nervous about this being the product of a long-standing relationship. Is there a chance that this can cloud Hibs judgement when deciding whether to recruit or not. What does this say about our conveyor belt of younger players for our own Scottish players.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. Let's hope it all works out well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

In the Scotsman article regarding the possible signing of Runar Hauge they state "it is understood that Hibs were made aware of his availability over the weekend, thanks to chief executive Ben Kensell’s long-standing relationship with the Norwegian club’s academy manager Gregg Broughton, who formerly fulfilled the same role at Norwich and the club have wasted little time in making their move."

Whilst the signings of Runar Hauge and Elias Melkersen have generally been viewed as positives, they are only 20 and 19 respectively with only Hauge having played in the Norwegian top division and both been on loan last season to 2nd division teams. However, they have both played for the Norwegian teams below the full international team. They are obviously ones for the future, but as we know some players don't progress to the next level. Think about players like Ollie Shaw and Alex Harris, plus many others.

I am slightly nervous about this being the product of a long-standing relationship. Is there a chance that this can cloud Hibs judgement when deciding whether to recruit or not. What does this say about our conveyor belt of younger players for our own Scottish players.

I'd be surprised if it was Ben making the decisions on players. That's maybe where the original link came from but I'd imagine these players will be assessed by our recruitment team before then being presented to Maloney.

Surely it's a positive that Kensall has this link in Norway, it means we can cherry pick some of the better talent before bigger clubs down south, develop and sell on.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Surely it's a positive that Kensall has this link in Norway, it means we can cherry pick some of the better talent before bigger clubs down south, develop and sell on.
    His link to Middlesbrough that led us to Nathan Wood wasn't ideal.

But I do agree in this case. Bodø/Glimt's academy seems to be incredibly, almost disproportionately good, so it's a potentially fruitful connection to have.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    What Does the reindeersBollocks Twitter dude make of it?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

A good way of working out if you've got a good deal is what Norwegian press, managers & rivals say about it.

Their gut reaction to Melkersen was they thought Hibs had absolutely stolen him for the fee we paid (they thought he was worth double) and it's all positive about Hauge.

That suggests smart business here, not an old pals act, but it's never a bad thing to ask the question the OP is asking

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    The more links the better, imo.

Hopefully it'll start a chain reaction.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Neither of these guys have kicked a ball for Hibs yet and we’re questioning policy? Teams from Scandinavia regularly beat us in European competition, they always like fitter, better technically and faster than we do. If we can tap in to that then I’m more than happy to do it.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    What Does the reindeersBollocks Twitter dude make of it?
    https://twitter.com/reindeerhotdog/status/1486759826705334272?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    The more links the better, imo.

Hopefully it'll start a chain reaction.
    That would be supreme.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Neither of these guys have kicked a ball for Hibs yet and we’re questioning policy? Teams from Scandinavia regularly beat us in European competition, they always like fitter, better technically and faster than we do. If we can tap in to that then I’m more than happy to do it.
    Totally agree, they’ve invested heavily in football in Scandinavia and it’s paid dividends with regular international qualification and some impressive club achievements in Europe given the size of their leagues. The mentality point you make is true and very important- Melkerson already sounds like a very confident lad.

Cannot fathom people questioning the signing policy with Maloney only 6 weeks in the door. We’ve not even seen all the new signings play yet. Incredible.

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but a decent read on Melkerson.

https://enrgsport.net/2022/01/10/wha...ias-melkersen/

Quote Originally Posted by dchibs View Post
    That would be supreme.
    Excellent.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Perhaps stories like these need to be qualified as links or just discussions. There was a modicum of excitement / interest when something was supposedly in the air with Brighton, but I don't know if that lead to anything with substance or not.

That would be supreme.
    Boooooooooo

"...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Boooooooooo

Good to see you didn't boo my first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Good to see you didn't boo my first one.
    A pun in hindsight is not a pun

Just Stop

Sir Alex Ferguson

That would be supreme.
    They were not as good when Ross left

as we know some players don't progress to the next level. Think about players like Ollie Shaw and Alex Harris, plus many others.

I share this concern. Another way to look at it is that Broughton is doing his job for Bodo Glimt by selling on young untried players for a good return. He is using his contact, Ben Kensell in order to do this. It could be the tail wagging the dog for all we know. I would rather Hibs stuck to recruiting from Scotland or England where you can easily scout players from a young age.

Alex Harris is a fine example and don't forget he didn't upsticks either.

I may be wrong, this is purely an opinion

[QUOTE=Jones28;6833820]A pun in hindsight is not a pun

Just Stop......

.....in the name of love

[QUOTE=Mick O'Rourke;6833831]
    A pun in hindsight is not a pun

Just Stop......

.....in the name of love

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by heid the baw View Post
    I share this concern. Another way to look at it is that Broughton is doing his job for Bodo Glimt by selling on young untried players for a good return. He is using his contact, Ben Kensell in order to do this. It could be the tail wagging the dog for all we know. I would rather Hibs stuck to recruiting from Scotland or England where you can easily scout players from a young age.

Alex Harris is a fine example and don't forget he didn't upsticks either.

I may be wrong, this is purely an opinion
    You're going to have to expand on that comment re Harris, AFAIK he started brilliantly, got a nasty injury and was never the same for us? Not sure where that comes in at all.

Sir Alex Ferguson

The link is great but i'm sceptical as to why this Broughton chap would be trying to get shot of a player instead of trying to get him into his clubs first team? If Steve Kean was trying to flog one of our top youngsters to another team there would be an uproar. Just doesn't seem right.
    Last edited by Since452; 28-01-2022 at 09:58 AM.

You're going to have to expand on that comment re Harris, AFAIK he started brilliantly, got a nasty injury and was never the same for us? Not sure where that comes in at all.
    Other than the goal against Falkirk, an injury followed by a pretty average career. Many players get that type of injury and push on after it, especially if they are young. The best thing he did for Hibs was being part of the deal that brought Boyle to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by heid the baw View Post
    Other than the goal against Falkirk, an injury followed by a pretty average career. Many players get that type of injury and push on after it, especially if they are young. The best thing he did for Hibs was being part of the deal that brought Boyle to the club.
    I'm still not seeing where he comes in to the argument about two Norwegian players joining the club? You're suggesting its some sort of "jobs for the boys" link up when neither of the two players involved have pulled on a Hibs shirt in anger yet - one of whom hasn't actually even confirmed signing.

We've scouted in Scotland for a very long time, and it hasn't exactly been fruitful - we got very very fortunate to have the Golden Generation team but that was nearly 20 years ago, the only other player breaking through worth a mention is Porteous in that time. Several, like Harris, Forster, Handling, Caldwell and numerous others have shown promise but not one of them is playing at a higher level than Hibs. So why shouldn't we take a gamble on bringing young players from abroad?

Sir Alex Ferguson

I'm still not seeing where he comes in to the argument about two Norwegian players joining the club? You're suggesting its some sort of "jobs for the boys" link up when neither of the two players involved have pulled on a Hibs shirt in anger yet - one of whom hasn't actually even confirmed signing.

We've scouted in Scotland for a very long time, and it hasn't exactly been fruitful - we got very very fortunate to have the Golden Generation team but that was nearly 20 years ago, the only other player breaking through worth a mention is Porteous in that time. Several, like Harris, Forster, Handling, Caldwell and numerous others have shown promise but not one of them is playing at a higher level than Hibs. So why shouldn't we take a gamble on bringing young players from abroad?
    It's gamble for sure but it's also the path of least resistance. We are recruiting from one club from one small foreign league. If yer man Broughton had got a job in Denmark, Lithuania or Iceland, these 2 players would not be on our radar and some other laddies would be taking their place.

Like I say it's just an opinion

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Yes this guy in Norway has sold us a couple of duds, Ben has fell for it, hibs are mugs, we have done this at the expense of Tait and Mackay, the media have been manipulated to sell the fact that people thought melkerson was a good player, there is definitely a conspiracy here and we are being used. Embarrassing to be a hibs fan right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    I'd be surprised if it was Ben making the decisions on players. That's maybe where the original link came from but I'd imagine these players will be assessed by our recruitment team before then being presented to Maloney.
    Who are the members of our recruitment team?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Who are the members of our recruitment team?
    Ian Gordon, Head of Recruitment
    Calvin Charlton, Head of Performance and Recruitment Analysis
    Euan Fotheringham, First Team Performance Analyst
    Luke Griffin, Recruitment Analyst

and probably also other staff involved too.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    We need to be picking from as big a pool as possible when we are recruiting, If Ben's links mean we get the inside track on good players who are available on affordable deals ahead of our rivals then that's a good thing. Of course we should be looking at young scottish and English players too, and of course we are, as this window has proved.

Scandinavia has long been someone I wish we looked more often when recruiting. They have similar weather and conditions, high rates of fluency in English amongst the young and their teams produce excellent technical footballers. Yet the Top teams in Norway struggle to get crowds anything like we get at Hibs and although their TV money is better than ours (because almost all matches are on telly) it means we can compete with them financially and the prospect of playing in front of up to 20,000 fans at home and 60,000 away must also be a draw. That coupled with the route into English football, and riches, means that we are an attractive proposition to young Scandinavian talent.

Let's look to recruit the best talent at the best price wherever we can find it !