hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Pubs for the derby

Saw a bit of discussion about this on the tickets thread, and seems there are increasingly fewer places welcoming football supporters near the ground.

Anyone know why The Artisan is very much a Hibs pub, yet becomes flooded with Hearts/Celtic/Rangers when they come to Easter Road?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Latapy'sVolley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Saw a bit of discussion about this on the tickets thread, and seems there are increasingly fewer places welcoming football supporters near the ground.

Anyone know why The Artisan is very much a Hibs pub, yet becomes flooded with Hearts/Celtic/Rangers when they come to Easter Road?

Its close to the away end and is kind of on route for away fans. Its kind of mixed that pub. Middletons always becomes an away boozer on match days.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Its close to the away end and is kind of on route for away fans. Its kind of mixed that pub. Middletons always becomes an away boozer on match days.
    Middletons I'd always think of as an away fans pub, but the Artisan's filled with about 90% Hibs fans most home games other than the aforementioned three.

With Four in Hand out the picture, less options for what'll be busy prematch pubs.

I never understand a pub like whatever the Four In Hand is called now turning away football fans.

Obviously you have your real Hibs pubs that the likes of Hearts and Rangers fans would know to avoid but even somewhere like the Iona had Celtic fans in a few weeks back and a handful of Cove fans last week with no bother. Likewise the Mash Tun is mixed on most match days with no trouble. Stick a couple of bouncers and make it clear it's not a classic 'fitba boozer' and you'd do ok. I went past before the Rangers game just after it had opened and there was quite literally no one except staff inside. The issue for them is a lot of the different clientele they obviously want to attract are going to avoid ER on a match day.

I'm taking a half day next Wednesday and will be in the Iona from early doors, expect it to be mobbed so happy to use up some flexi time and get a seat and a few pints.

ER has lost a few pubs in recent years with the Royal Nip/Office, Coopers Rest, Four in Hand all closing the doors. Take away BTG as well and the choice is definitely being diluted.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I never understand a pub like whatever the Four In Hand is called now turning away football fans.

Obviously you have your real Hibs pubs that the likes of Hearts and Rangers fans would know to avoid but even somewhere like the Iona had Celtic fans in a few weeks back and a handful of Cove fans last week with no bother. Likewise the Mash Tun is mixed on most match days with no trouble. Stick a couple of bouncers and make it clear it's not a classic 'fitba boozer' and you'd do ok. I went past before the Rangers game just after it had opened and there was quite literally no one except staff inside. The issue for them is a lot of the different clientele they obviously want to attract are going to avoid ER on a match day.

I'm taking a half day next Wednesday and will be in the Iona from early doors, expect it to be mobbed so happy to use up some flexi time and get a seat and a few pints.

ER has lost a few pubs in recent years with the Royal Nip/Office, Coopers Rest, Four in Hand all closing the doors. Take away BTG as well and the choice is definitely being diluted.
    The game is on Tuesday. I'm guessing it's just a typo and you've not taken the wrong day off!

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    The game is on Tuesday. I'm guessing it's just a typo and you've not taken the wrong day off!
    Definitely a typo
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!

The smoking ban killed a lot of pubs. The Nip used to be full most weeknights with Dominoes, pool and darts on various nights. Smoking ban came in and the old timers stayed indoors then they went fully reliable on Category A sell outs - then most the matches moved to early sunday and they where fkd.

The Alhambra for us.

The hoppy then cut through back of Sainsbury's

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    The Alhambra for us.
    Cracking pub.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    What’s happened to The Four in Hand? Is Derek Riordan no longer mine host?

Not been in for years myself.

Cracking pub.
    Aye it's a good local, good bunch of guys.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post

Nah he gave it up. Too stop/start.

Imagine Covid put a spanner in the works....

Its like the Roseburn. Probably a hertz pub but all hibs on derby day coz its near the away end.

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIHIBS View Post
    Its like the Roseburn. Probably a hertz pub but all hibs on derby day coz its near the away end.
    Folk just not fancying the walk down after with those lots then you reckon?

Because been in there before and seen plenty of away fans palmed off/chucked out, albeit the Motherwells and St Mirrens of this world.

Its turned into a craft beer place and point blank refuses entry and service to anyone wearing anything remotely related to football colours.

Left by mutual consent!
    Its turned into a craft beer place and point blank refuses entry and service to anyone wearing anything remotely related to football colours.
    I hate this world.

I was in it with my wife before the Cove game.
    Excellent selection of beers. The pilsner (brewed in Dalkeith) was excellent.

We entered with our tartan hibs scarves and were welcomed to sit at the bar.

I think that they are looking for a different customer to the old Four days. I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post

I think that they are looking for a different customer to the old Four days. I liked it.
    I think there's an in-between to be had though - it's not like football supporters don't like good beer.

When West Ham moved to the Olympic Stadium near Hackney Wick - the craft breweries that already existed there opened their doors to the pre and post match crowd because it meant business. Never any trouble, despite not being "football pubs", just meant home fans that wanted to go there before/after a game in their colours could.

Getting in with scarves is promising though.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post

Tartan scarves? They probably thought you were American tourists until you spoke.

Usually we head to the Mash Tun but there was a large amount of away support in for both the Aberdeen and Sevco games at the end of last year. No trouble but not sure if we'll take the chance for the derby, might try the Iona or trot down to the Percy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    Usually we head to the Mash Tun but there was a large amount of away support in for both the Aberdeen and Sevco games at the end of last year. No trouble but not sure if we'll take the chance for the derby, might try the Iona or trot down to the Percy.
    Last Derby we went in for a pint, it was a good mixture of both sets of fans although it did seem more Hibs fans, no bother though and plenty fans mingling with each other. It's good to see it open on match days though, I remember doing programmes outside there 10-12 years ago and what ever it was called then would never open on match days due to the bother that used to happen.
    Last edited by LunasBoots; 27-01-2022 at 01:52 PM.

Tartan scarves? They probably thought you were American tourists until you spoke.
    It's funny you should say that. One of us is American lol.

I think there's an in-between to be had though - it's not like football supporters don't like good beer.

When West Ham moved to the Olympic Stadium near Hackney Wick - the craft breweries that already existed there opened their doors to the pre and post match crowd because it meant business. Never any trouble, despite not being "football pubs", just meant home fans that wanted to go there before/after a game in their colours could.

Getting in with scarves is promising though.
    I agree with this. It seems a bit mental if they’re not interested in allowing any fans in at all, given the number of pubs similar to this these days there will be a decent number of Hibs fans that would probably enjoy going in before/after games.

The people I imagine they’re worried about coming in wouldn’t be interested anyway.

I always thought there were too many pubs in such close proximity on ER so it’s not really surprising that a few have gone in the last couple of years. We used to come through a bit early most games to have a pint or two but haven’t really been doing it this season and I don’t see that changing unless Hibs open up a bar again. Everywhere will be rammed by about 6 on Tuesday and it’ll be almost impossible to get a pint and have time to enjoy it if you were rocking up at half 6 later.

Best thing I done a number of years ago was get a Hibs club membership, I admit you need to get in early for the big games and I presume it will be members only on Tuesday

Away fans buses park up in Regent Rd so its one of the closest.

Kennedy's in Zurich will definitely have it on and the chances of encountering a Hearts fan are (or rather have been up to this point) precisely 0

Downsides? Well, if you thought George Street was pricey for a pint.......

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Percy or Hibs Club for me. Thankfully both still open Amy turned into Nuevo Leith hipster hangouts.

Tamsons bar was ok last time I went which was a few years ago though.