hibs.net Messageboard

The Worst UK Football Clubs To Manage

Survey is from November and is based on the average time the managers remain in the job.

We are the 2nd worst in the UK (after Livi) at an average of 1 year 8 months.

https://www.olbg.com/blogs/football-...merry-go-round

2. Log in to remove the advert

That's a strange one, especially considering its the average over the entire life of the club.
    In a modern context, we're surely nowhere near the worst. At somewhere like Watford, all you have to do is fart in the wrong area and you're sacked

That cannot be right. Watford have had 14 permanent managers in 10 years?

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Moaniest fans rule ok. ?!

😉

Left by mutual consent!
    Any chance of a survey on the club that has spent most time in transition in the last 100 years.

@hibs.net private member KanyeWestLower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That cannot be right. Watford have had 14 permanent managers in 10 years?
    Feels like 14 permanent managers in the last 10 weeks with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Watford have had 6 managers since their last clean sheet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Quick back of fag packet maths.
    145 years (1875 to 2022) is 1740 months (rounded ) divide that by 33 full time managers is 52.7 months. So that makes it average is about 4 years 4 months.
    I am not taking in account our break , that would increase the average time in job

Quote Originally Posted by ozwoody View Post
    Quick back of fag packet maths.
    145 years (1875 to 2022) is 1740 months (rounded ) divide that by 33 full time managers is 52.7 months. So that makes it average is about 4 years 4 months.
    I am not taking in account our break , that would increase the average time in job
    I think there needs to be consideration of the fact that football management has changed drastically in the 21st century and we last had a manager in charge for over 4 years with Alex Miller and he left more than 25 years ago.

Since 1996 the average time in charge for a Hibs manager is about 1 year 8 months. I'm not sure how far back the survey goes though.
    Last edited by Sir David Gray; 28-01-2022 at 11:01 AM.

The sloppy article doesn’t clearly spell out the time frame nor does it distinguish between sackings and resignations. Hibs didn’t sack Alex McLeish or Tony Mowbray nor did they sack Alan Stubbs. They didn’t even sack Bobby Williamson and John Collins. The departure of Neil Lennon was shrouded in some mystery but he was back at Celtic very quickly which suggests the whole thing was orchestrated.

So you appoint a young manager who is poached by the likes of Rangers or Celtic and that is added to to list of ‘sackings’?

Poor article, wouldn't score well as a high school report....check out Dundee in 10th place....attention to detail?

The article suggests (by looking at historic data going back to 1900) that this is over the life of a club, that suggests Hibs have had 88 managers (which we know isn't right). It would also discriminate against newer clubs whose record would not include historic periods where managers did not change that often...there is also a failure to define what is meant by 'manager'.
    As others have said there are also obvious other issues like the difference between sacking and resignations.....it could be argued that Hibs are a great club to manage as even moderate success can end in a step up on the job ladder.

Football clubs didn't really have managers for the first few decades, so I'm not sure how they can calculate this.

Maybe if they only counted it since the end of WWII it would be more accurate.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    I do think though it is endemic in our support to hound managers out the moment results hit a rough patch. Jack Ross a perfect example - punted on the eve of a League Cup final to appease the fans. Some sections of our support are already on Maloneys back, which is a complete and utter joke by the way. Hibs fans don’t do patient, but I do hope we do with Maloney.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    I do think though it is endemic in our support to hound managers out the moment results hit a rough patch. Jack Ross a perfect example - punted on the eve of a League Cup final to appease the fans. Some sections of our support are already on Maloneys back, which is a complete and utter joke by the way. Hibs fans don’t do patient, but I do hope we do with Maloney.

I've made negative comments about some of what I've seen so far under SM but it's always with the caveat that he's only in the door and that we're missing quite a few players.

But it's true, some people seem to have written him off already, which is over the top.

They have made a mistake. Simple as that. Cannot be right

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    The sloppy article doesn’t clearly spell out the time frame nor does it distinguish between sackings and resignations. Hibs didn’t sack Alex McLeish or Tony Mowbray nor did they sack Alan Stubbs. They didn’t even sack Bobby Williamson and John Collins. The departure of Neil Lennon was shrouded in some mystery but he was back at Celtic very quickly which suggests the whole thing was orchestrated.

So you appoint a young manager who is poached by the likes of Rangers or Celtic and that is added to to list of ‘sackings’?
    Looking at it that way, you could say that Hibs is a great club to manage as if you do well you'll get opportunities elsewhere.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    How many managers have we over the course of our history? I'm talking everyone; caretakers, the lot. I'd love to see where they got their statistics.

The rest of the article would lead you to assume they haven't been selective about statistics, but you never know.

Edit: Ozy has got it with 33.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    How many managers have we over the course of our history? I'm talking everyone; caretakers, the lot. I'd love to see where they got their statistics.

The rest of the article would lead you to assume they haven't been selective about statistics, but you never know.

Useful list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._F.C._managers

34 is the number of permanent managers we've had I think. I believe we've also had 14 caretakers.

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    34 is the number of permanent managers we've had I think. I believe we've also had 14 caretakers.

So we've had 48 managers - of any kind - since 1875. 147 years.

Just a shade over 3 years on average.

What a crock of *****.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

So we've had 48 managers - of any kind - since 1875. 147 years.

Just a shade over 3 years on average.

What a crock of *****.
    Yeah, I think 'worst' figure you can come up with is if you count from 1901 (which is when that wiki page says we started officially having managers rather than a committee) and include all the caretakers (which is nonsense in itself), and even then you get 2.5 years.

God knows what info they used to get to 1 year 8 months.

Yeah, I think 'worst' figure you can come up with is if you count from 1901 (which is when that wiki page says we started officially having managers rather than a committee) and include all the caretakers (which is nonsense in itself), and even then you get 2.5 years.

God knows what info they used to get to 1 year 8 months.
    1 year 8 months is the average since Alex Miller left in 1996.

Ah I see. I wonder if that's the same timeframe as for the other clubs listed.

Given that one of the other charts says the average tenure was 2 years in the 1990s, 1.5 years in the 2000s and 1 year 5 months in the 2010s, it seems like 1 year 8 months would be about bang on the average over 1996–present.

If the article stated that then it would be fair enough; what it also doesn't mention is that there is a general trend to short term managers, by their own analysis.

Sir Alex Ferguson

Ah I see. I wonder if that's the same timeframe as for the other clubs listed.

Given that one of the other charts says the average tenure was 2 years in the 1990s, 1.5 years in the 2000s and 1 year 5 months in the 2010s, it seems like 1 year 8 months would be about bang on the average over 1996–present.
    Since Miller left Hibs in September 1996, the other current Premiership clubs have had;

Aberdeen - 9 permanent managers (2 years 10 months)
    Celtic - 12 permanent managers (2 years 1 month)
    Dundee - 15 permanent managers (1 year 8 months)
    Dundee Utd - 16 permanent managers (1 year 7 months)
    Hearts - 19 permanent managers (1 year 4 months)
    Livingston - 22 permanent managers (1 year 2 months)
    Motherwell - 14 permanent managers (1 year 10 month)
    Rangers - 10 permanent managers (2 years 6 months)
    Ross County - 15 permanent managers (1 year 8 months)
    St Mirren - 13 permanent managers (1 year 11 months)
    St Johnstone - 9 permanent managers (2 years 10 months)