hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Newell on fans jeers vs Cove

https://t.co/M1GmeOYO8k

Well said Joe.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Brilliant.

Good on him coming out and saying it, not many would but he’s 100% spot on.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I’m really looking forward to seeing the end result of this transitional period - since I started going in the late 70’s it’s felt like we’ve been told to be patient while we are in a transitional period for whats felt like a lot of that time!

He has a point. Look at the team versus Cove, two guys playing their first ever game for the club and a midfield player on the right of a back three, all of them adapting to a new style of play. That against opposition on a 15 game unbeaten run who were clearly a better team than the league they are in, that was evident after about 15 minutes.

OK every fan, including me, can get disgruntled during the game at poor play or the ball not being played forward fast enough and have a moan ... but booing the team off at half time and full time is just totally unhelpful .... I just don't see the point of it.

Cove are a tough act as I'm sure many will find out in the seasons to come. You don't encourage your team by booing.
    Credit to Hibs for persevering.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    There is of course an section of the ground where folks can go, vent their spleen and if they wish hurl abuse at Hibs players.it’s called the Away End. Perhaps some folks need to reflect.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    He better not come on here after a defeat 😂
    But seriously he is spot on , jeering your own team is brutal
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Always got annoyed at the boos for "passing it backwards", especially so now. A good example would be Aberdeen. Started off slow, but after a period of adjustment, they started winning games again, playing considerably more attractive football than last season. I think we will get there under Maloney, I'd rather we lost trying to play football properly than lose by hoofing it and hoping for the best.

He said that about as well as he could have done. Don't see how anyone can argue with that, regardless of how well you think the team or individuals played.

It's all very well and I agree with Joe, but our team should be more than good enough to be winning consistently without needing to spend a while adapting to a playstyle that may not even work.

If we lose the next 3, but the manager says we're improving and showing signs, will folk be happy? I definitely won't.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Joe makes a very good point absolutely brutal to be moaning when trying to pass the ball especially when we go back to go forward. Quite a fundamental change and fans need to show a bit of patience however usually in short supply at ER.

Testimonial Due
    If passed the ball forward now and again the boos might stop.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is getting out of hand now - if folk say it often enough they start believing it. Did you miss the match on Thursday?

What happens when a player can’t pass the ball forward ? Or what would you do as a coach ?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This is getting out of hand now - if folk say it often enough they start believing it. Did you miss the match on Thursday?
    No I had the miss fortune of watching the full 120 minutes. Against DU and Aberdeen we were quickly moving the ball forward in nice triangles. Against Celtic and Cove back to the sideways stuff. Only difference from Ross is we are trying to play the ball out from the back. Try is the word as we were often putting ourselves in trouble. Who did not play against DU and Aberdeen but played against Celtic and Cove? There is part of the problem.

@hibs.net private member
    generic tropes like this really pull this site down …no openness to actually reflect on the important point of what a player is saying.

This nonsense about Newell not passing the ball forward was started by someone who doesn't have a clue about football and continued on by those with a similar knowledge of the game.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Well try passing the ball forward then !

Never understand booing our own team. Does absolutely no good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    generic tropes like this really pull this site down …no openness to actually reflect on the important point of what a player is saying.
    It does indeed.

He clearly explains why things are a bit of a struggle just now as the players adapt to a new manager.

Why some people choose to respond to this with a smarterse remark is beyond me.
    Last edited by flash; 26-01-2022 at 07:18 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    No I had the miss fortune of watching the full 120 minutes. Against DU and Aberdeen we were quickly moving the ball forward in nice triangles. Against Celtic and Cove back to the sideways stuff. Only difference from Ross is we are trying to play the ball out from the back. Try is the word as we were often putting ourselves in trouble. Who did not play against DU and Aberdeen but played against Celtic and Cove? There is part of the problem.
    Drivel. Loads of forward passes - it was really noticeable. Repeating stuff like this helps no one - particularly with it not being true.
    Last edited by Danderhall Hibs; 26-01-2022 at 07:02 AM.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    You must've watched the game with your eyes closed

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    What happens when a player can’t pass the ball forward ? Or what would you do as a coach ?
    You punt it into the channel I think?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Drivel.
    It is rubbish.

Newell was as forward looking as any other player against Cove. He was always trying to put Hibs on the front foot.

I suppose if you're waiting to moan about, or expect, a backwards pass, that's what you'll see, but that's not a charge that can be laid at Newell's door on Thursday.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    What some folk failed to remember is that while we in the stands with our heightened point of view can see more of the pitch than the players that are on it…. Sometimes the only obvious pass is backwards or sideways, or sometimes it’s the only safe option that they can see… it’s easy sitting a few rows up to see other players but from ground level it’s a lot more difficult.

Rightly or wrongly when Hibs need extra time to beat a part time side from two divisions below us at home then fans will get a bit annoyed. Also not helped by it being a cold January night and I'm afraid the players need to accept that.

Is it helpful? No. However fans from all over the world use booing as the way to show their displeasure at what they are watching and I don't see that changing. Newell himself accepts in that article that a team of our quality should have been putting in a better performance and getting a better result.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Rightly or wrongly when Hibs need extra time to beat a part time side from two divisions below us at home then fans will get a bit annoyed. Also not helped by it being a cold January night and I'm afraid the players need to accept that.

Is it helpful? No. However fans from all over the world use booing as the way to show their displeasure at what they are watching and I don't see that changing. Newell himself accepts in that article that a team of our quality should have been putting in a better performance and getting a better result.
    That's fair, but blaming Newell for being negative on Thursday is not.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    He may have a point but at least these fans were there.

It was Cove, and we were pretty gash for most of the game, as we have been for most of the season.

It was a tiny bit of booing ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

It’s happening far too often though. I think I’ve actually booed Hibs at half time twice in the 40 odd years I’ve been going to see them, i just couldn’t control my frustration. But it seems to be the done thing now simply if we’re not winning at Halftime or if the play isn’t particularly exciting.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    He may have a point but at least these fans were there.

It was Cove, and we were pretty gash for most of the game, as we have been for most of the season.

It was a tiny bit of booing ffs.
    A roundabout way of saying "A've paid ma money Ah can do what Ah want." which is up there with the worst tropes of football "supporters".
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson