hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar

Africa Cup of Nations - Fans killed in crush

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

2. Log in to remove the advert

It really is I have been watching a few of the games. Supporting Tunisia ,but i noticed most games poorly attended.
    Of course the host Country would expect larger crowds.
    Such tragedies that have happened before seem to be mainly down too poor policing/judgement and health and safety lax.This could be the same.
    Closing gates with large crowds refused entry.
    Anyway,so horrible. I understand two small children died also.
    Its at the quarter final stage, but calls for it all to be cancelled.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 25-01-2022 at 03:25 PM.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/60142977

A personal account of what happened. Has that loss of control so prevalent in accounts of other similar disasters, where you are just carried then get dropped and people walk over you. My first experience in Easter Road as a 6 year old was similar and to this day I get panic attacks when crowds around me start to take on a life of their own.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/60142977

A personal account of what happened. Has that loss of control so prevalent in accounts of other similar disasters, where you are just carried then get dropped and people walk over you. My first experience in Easter Road as a 6 year old was similar and to this day I get panic attacks when crowds around me start to take on a life of their own.
    Aye back when we had the big main terracing.
    Exiting,if a very big crowd had to be taken with care on the old staircases,
    The exit at the Dunbar End was dodgy, if that end was full.Going downhill.
    Equally the School End bottleneck at Tiny.Lifted off yer feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Aye back when we had the big main terracing.
    Exiting,if a very big crowd had to be taken with care on the old staircases,
    The exit at the Dunbar End was dodgy, if that end was full.Going downhill.
    Equally the School End bottleneck at Tiny.Lifted off yer feet.
    I lost a shoe once leaving the old east such was the crush. I was about 10 and on my own. Changed days. It was on that very terrace that I was introduced to Der Hun who thought it appropriate to attempt to skelp me with bottle of Lanliq. Think that was their beverage of choice prior to Buckfast.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    It really is I have been watching a few of the games. Supporting Tunisia ,but i noticed most games poorly attended.
    Of course the host Country would expect larger crowds.
    Such tragedies that have happened before seem to be mainly down too poor policing/judgement and health and safety lax.This could be the same.
    Closing gates with large crowds refused entry.
    Anyway,so horrible. I understand two small children died also.
    Its at the quarter final stage, but calls for it all to be cancelled.

Michael, my experience of African football is limited to Nigeria and Angola and is many years out of date but it's hard to describe spectating conditions. One memory sticks out for me. Before Nigeria opened their new ground, say 25 years ago, the main stadium was in central Lagos, overlooked by an inner city motorway. Fans would leave cars on hard shoulder, block lanes & basically stand on a motorway to watch the game. Accidents/deaths were commonplace but as usual 3rd world deaths are not newsworthy.

In view of the deaths at the Afcon stadium, it strikes me that were this a tournament taking place in Europe such an incident would have suspended the football and an enquiry would be underway.
    Is life so cheap in Africa?

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Michael, my experience of African football is limited to Nigeria and Angola and is many years out of date but it's hard to describe spectating conditions. One memory sticks out for me. Before Nigeria opened their new ground, say 25 years ago, the main stadium was in central Lagos, overlooked by an inner city motorway. Fans would leave cars on hard shoulder, block lanes & basically stand on a motorway to watch the game. Accidents/deaths were commonplace but as usual 3rd world deaths are not newsworthy.
    Astonishing sight that must have been,Brian.
    "Whole new meaning to the term "Motorway Madness!"
    On the tragedy...
    Been said that security is at fault. Well,that's no surprise from initial footage/reports.
    Am sure though that the organisers will want someone else to shoulder blame.

A tragedy that could well have been avoided,by using common sense,tried and tested measures.

This tournament was actually touch and go regards going ahead amid concerns from major clubs re covid and poor vaccine take up in some competing Countries.

Found this explanation/excuse as to why the tournament went ahead without even a pause for reflection.

"The Confederation of African Football have rejected suggestions that the AFCON should be suspended or cancelled.

They have insisted that the tournament can be a force for healing in Cameroon."

The Confederation of African Football have rejected suggestions that the Africa Cup of Nations should be cance and have insisted that the tournament can be a force for healing in Cameroon.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 27-01-2022 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Was speaking to James earlier and mentioned this chat.
    He recalled Hibs,not like in the song,playing in South Morocco,but in Nigeria and Ghana on a long summer tour in 1968.

He remembers one team they played not having proper football boots.
    Hibs gave or bought them some boots.
    Some of the games had cricket scores.
    Changed days,when you see the African players in top leagues nowadays.

Hibernian Football Club .....Pioneers of the beautiful game.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 28-01-2022 at 09:37 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    In view of the deaths at the Afcon stadium, it strikes me that were this a tournament taking place in Europe such an incident would have suspended the football and an enquiry would be underway.

Not just Africa but most of the developing world. I real eye opener living in India and the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    They wouldn't have suspended it in Europe. Uefa force games ahead all the time when they shouldn't be. Dortmund vs Monaco 24 hours after dortmund team bus got attacked with explosives for example.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    They wouldn't have suspended it in Europe. Uefa force games ahead all the time when they shouldn't be. Dortmund vs Monaco 24 hours after dortmund team bus got attacked with explosives for example.
    I agree tournaments like the Euros would attract far bigger crowds than the current AFCON has.

Appeasing the many thousands of visiting spectators would come first .
    Cancelling games could cause more problems.
    Imagine Engurland reaching 1/4 final and it was cancelled or suspended.Mayhem in the streets.
    At best,there would be a minutes silence.