hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can still clearly remember as a young boy the Scottish Cup replay against Arbroath in the 70s at Easter Road. I watched it from the old main stand with my late dad (a Jambo).

We scored early but then lost 2 goals within a couple of minutes of each other. Hibs pummelled Arbroath but just could not turn it around......still haunts me.

The Tornadoes were a thing of the past and the team and the club were on the decline.

Been to hundreds of Hibs games but this one somehow this game gives me a real shiver.
    Arbroath punched above their weight for a long time in the seventies under the legend that was Albert Henderson. He took them in to the top flight and I think they spent a few seasons there. Some achievement for Arbroath and he will always be remembered as Arbroath’s best ever manager. Mind you, Dick Campbell is coming close to matching that success and any victory in the cup tie will be hard earned.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by inglisavhibs View Post
    Arbroath punched above their weight for a long time in the seventies under the legend that was Albert Henderson. He took them in to the top flight and I think they spent a few seasons there. Some achievement for Arbroath and he will always be remembered as Arbroath’s best ever manager. Mind you, Dick Campbell is coming close to matching that success and any victory in the cup tie will be hard earned.
    Known locally as Henderson to Deliver when getting promotion

Indeed,he is a legend up there.

Blog Entries
    A lot of folk are suggesting, the game v Arbroath will be really tough and a potential banana skin. I don’t get that....... to me it’s a contradiction in terms. They’re either a good side, will give us a good game and could very well beat us or our relative positions suggest we should and probably will beat them. Losing to a side, adjudged to be a really good team is not a banana skin and if they beat us it will be no surprise and nothing to be ashamed of. For what it’s worth, I think we will win the game in normal time.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    How many tickets are we likely to get for this? Apologies if it’s already been mentioned
    Stadium holds 6600 , so my guess is in between 2 to 3 thousand.
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Stadium holds 6600 , so my guess is in between 2 to 3 thousand.
    thanks

Surely they will announce tv games soon?
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    I’d have thought tomorrow

Interesting that Arbroath have dropped more league points at home than they have away despite having played two more games away than home.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Actually would like it to be moved for TV now, I have a prior engagement but if it's on a different day I'll go.

I'd like it moved for TV, but only so it doesn't clash with the Six Nations.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    If this games gets moved to the Sunday then you can't get a train to Arbroath as the lines shut between Dundee and Aberdeen for engineering works. Bit of a nightmare.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member
    I was at Motherwell v Morton yesterday and there was nothing between the sides. That is a team above us in our league at home and a team struggling towards the foot of the Championship. I think it will be a very tough game. If we are trying to knock it about we will need to do it far, far better than we did against Cove. At least the pitch is a good size and looks in decent order. Ours is nowhere near the standard it was a few years back and that doesn't help when you are rolling passes about at the back. Any win will do us and I think Maloney will take a good while before his style will work with the players we have or bring in. I suspect he will and should be pragmatic and try to mix styles to suit the players we have. I worry if he has a philosophy and style that he will not waiver from.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    If this games gets moved to the Sunday then you can't get a train to Arbroath as the lines shut between Dundee and Aberdeen for engineering works. Bit of a nightmare.
    My guess is Premiers Sports will get the Rangers and Celtic games and there'll be 2 games on the BBC. The BBC games will be 12:30 on the Saturday and 7:45 Monday night.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cosell View Post
    My guess is Premiers Sports will get the Rangers and Celtic games and there'll be 2 games on the BBC. The BBC games will be 12:30 on the Saturday and 7:45 Monday night.

We should be 3pm on Saturday. I'm hoping the BBC pick the Motherwell and Partick Thistle games. We've already had our tv game on the BBC. Thats what I think anyway.

We should be 3pm on Saturday. I'm hoping the BBC pick the Motherwell and Partick Thistle games. We've already had our tv game on the BBC. Thats what I think anyway.
    Us being shown in the 4th round on the BBC hasn’t stopped them picking us for the last 16 in both of the last two seasons. This is the tie of the round, there’s absolutely no chance it won’t be on TV

Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    Us being shown in the 4th round on the BBC hasn’t stopped them picking us for the last 16 in both of the last two seasons. This is the tie of the round, there’s absolutely no chance it won’t be on TV
    It’s not the tie of the round though is it? Not close really. Motherwell Aberdeen for one if you want well matched decent sides, st mirren kelty for potential giant killing, Hearts Livi and Partick United are as big if not bigger than our tie.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    It’s not the tie of the round though is it? Not close really. Motherwell Aberdeen for one if you want well matched decent sides, st mirren kelty for potential giant killing, Hearts Livi and Partick United are as big if not bigger than our tie.
    There's no cup romance in in Dons v Well, they play 3 or 4 times a year and this one will have a smaller crowd. Hearts v Livi the same. Arbroath v Hibs is intriguing.

There's no cup romance in in Dons v Well, they play 3 or 4 times a year and this one will have a smaller crowd. Hearts v Livi the same. Arbroath v Hibs is intriguing.
    Whether they play 3/4 times per season doesn’t change the fact they are bigger ties than ours.

Motherwell Aberdeen will have a far bigger crowd in the cup tie than a league match would IMO. Aberdeen will take a big following and Motherwell fans will come out for that one.

Whether they play 3/4 times per season doesn’t change the fact they are bigger ties than ours.

Motherwell Aberdeen will have a far bigger crowd in the cup tie than a league match would IMO. Aberdeen will take a big following and Motherwell fans will come out for that one.
    This thread has over 250 replies, if we had Livi at home there'd be very little interest. Arbroath away is exciting, Livi or Well at home isn't.

This thread has over 250 replies, if we had Livi at home there'd be very little interest. Arbroath away is exciting, Livi or Well at home isn't.
    Whether it’s exciting for us is totally different. I’m excited as it’s a ground I’ve never been to before, with some local interest as well. However, those other games are bigger than ours, and there’s a much bigger potential giant killing in the Kelty game, and they’ll feel they deserve their TV slot after their win against the holders this week (a decent piece for TV that as well).

It absolutely is not the tie of the round, St Mirren v Kelty is the tie of the round. 2nd lowest ranked team left in the completion who have already knocked out the holders who are a Premier League side. Kelty have been drawn away to a Premier League side this time. That should 100% be a tv game.

Celtic and Rangers will be on Premier Sports without question.
    Last edited by Hermit Crab; 23-01-2022 at 10:52 PM.

It absolutely is not the tie of the round, St Mirren v Kelty is the tie of the round. 2nd lowest ranked team left in the completion who have already knocked out the holders who are a Premier League side. Kelty have been drawn away to a Premier League side this time. That should 100% be a tv game.

I dare say that of the options, the tie and outcome the majority of neutrals would like to see televised would be the prospect of Hibs going out to Arbroath.

If the BBC broadcast St Mirren/Kelty & Arbroath/Hibs simultaneously, only St Mirren, Kelty fans, and a few oddballs would be watching St Mirren/Kelty.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Gnome View Post
    I dare say that of the options, the tie and outcome the majority of neutrals would like to see televised would be the prospect of Hibs going out to Arbroath.
    And going by Thursday night the BBC commentators as well.

If Kelty were at home then it would be. I’d hazard a guess that if you asked 10 random Scottish football fans, at least 9 would say it’s our game.

Arbroath are probably the biggest story in the SPFL this season, a part time side flying at the top of the championship and they’re hosting one of the big 5.

If Kelty were at home then it would be. I’d hazard a guess that if you asked 10 random Scottish football fans, at least 9 would say it’s our game.

Arbroath are probably the biggest story in the SPFL this season, a part time side flying at the top of the championship and they’re hosting one of the big 5.
    Kelty have just beat the cup double winners, they have the media darling KT as the manager. The prospect of a decent game of football at St Mirren is far higher than at a probable wet and windy Arbroath.

(I’m hoping the BBC will be looking in here and take my arguments on board so that we can keep our Saturday 3pm kick off 😂)

Kelty have just beat the cup double winners, they have the media darling KT as the manager. The prospect of a decent game of football at St Mirren is far higher than at a probable wet and windy Arbroath.

(I’m hoping the BBC will be looking in here and take my arguments on board so that we can keep our Saturday 3pm kick off 😂)

As long as its the Saturday as the Sunday royally screws us up transport wise, with no trains its bus or car or watch it on tv.

To be fair who isn't beating St Johnstone this season? Even we can beat them!

In that case I hope it's not moved.

I quite fancied going up on the train.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    In that case I hope it's not moved.

I quite fancied going up on the train.
    https://www.buytickets.scotrail.co.u...mand=TimeTable

You can get the train as far as Dundee on Sunday but then its either the rail replacement bus service from Dundee to Arbroath which is timed to take take 30 minutes but thats not taking into account the traffic on the road into Arbroath, or get a taxi. Other options are obviously a supporters bus (no bevy) or your own car but getting parked will be a nightmare. Not great if its a Sunday game.