hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Let’s back Maloney and the team

I know everyone will have their opinions and things seem a bit low after last night as some would have expected us to win 5-0. I’m not going to go to much into last night but when you watch it back we created a lot of really good opportunities and if it wasn’t for an incompetent linesman could have been 2-0 up at half time, Cove were also never going to be easy.

But we really need to stop with the booing and groaning if things aren’t instantly going to plan. It has 0 positive impact and makes the players do things they wouldn’t normally which could cost us. Let’s get right behind the team and encourage them to be brave.

Since Maloney has came in he’s had anything but an easy run - Aberdeen, Dundee United, Celtic and a very tricky Scottish cup tie to Cove yet has won 3/4.

We have dominated the ball in the majority of the games and one of the things I’ve been impressed with the most is how good we’ve been defensively. How many saves has Macey had to make in those 4 games? We win the ball back a lot higher and we look a-lot more organised, having a-lot more of the ball also helps.

Going forward I know people have a moan about passing or it being slow at times. The players are still getting used to the system and style of play. It’s chalk and cheese to what they had under Ross for 2 and a half years which was essentially hit Boyle or the striker who can flick it onto him.

Keeping possession longer just means we’re dragging the opposition about and limiting there threat to us as they don’t have the ball. Before we’d go long, lose it and then defend? Well that takes it out the equation and we’re not going to attack for 90 minutes straight.

I also think some Scottish teams will really struggle to deal with passing them to death and eventually the concentration or disciple will slip which we’ll exploit.

Now don’t get me wrong it worked, but as someone who was a Jack Ross fan we always seemed to come up short if Boyle wasn’t firing on all cylinders. This system will in time get us to the next level imo, it will take patience and strong players to do it and not listen to the crowd if we’ve not scored within a certain amount of time.

Another thing that annoyed me under Ross at times was when we got to the final third everything was 100mph and we’d never pin teams back for a substantial period and try waiting for an opening - I think we’ll see that alot more now similar to what the old firm do.

I liked Ross’ recruitment to a certain degree but the majority seemed pretty safe players and physical, now Maloney is trying to implement his style with guys that aren’t used to that but are capable of it. Newell, JDH etc have the ability it’s just getting it out of them now.

Maloney has signed 4 new players plus had Mueller arrive. Of the 4 only Rocky and Henderson have been available for 1 game each as Melkersen and Clarke still wait for different reasons. He’s also had to deal with being without two of our most consistent performers in Porteous and McGinn. He’s now away to lose our most influential player in Martin Boyle.

Porteous, Clarke and even McGinn will make a big difference again when they’re back as they all have the ability to play out from the back - especially the first 2 and they can step into play.

For me he still needs a couple of signings suited to his style - someone in the number 10 position that can run behind, come to feet, dribble and pass - essentially someone like Barrie McKay at Hearts.

He’s used his full squad, giving lots of previously considered fringe players minutes without it having a huge effect on the outcome and has still got results.

I’m more than looking forward to seeing what he can do with his first pick 11 who are well suited and well recruited to his style.

Patience.
    Last edited by Unseen work; 21-01-2022 at 12:59 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know everyone will have their opinions and things seem a bit low after last night as some would have expected us to win 5-0. I’m not going to go to much into last night but when you watch it back we created a lot of really good opportunities and if it wasn’t for an incompetent linesman could have been 2-0 up at half time, Cove were also never going to be easy.

But we really need to stop with the booing and groaning if things aren’t instantly going to plan. It has 0 positive impact and makes the players do things they wouldn’t normally which could cost us. Let’s get right behind the team and encourage them to be brave.

Since Maloney has came in he’s had anything but an easy run - Aberdeen, Dundee United, Celtic and a very tricky Scottish cup tie to Cove yet has won 3/4.

We have dominated the ball in the majority of the games and one of the things I’ve been impressed with the most is how good we’ve been defensively. How many saves has Macey had to make in those 4 games? We win the ball back a lot higher and we look a-lot more organised, having a-lot more of the ball also helps.

Going forward I know people have a moan about passing or it being slow at times. The players are still getting used to the system and style of play. It’s chalk and cheese to what they had under Ross for 2 and a half years which was essentially hit Boyle or the striker who can flick it onto him.

Keeping possession longer just means we’re dragging the opposition about and limiting there threat to us as they don’t have the ball. Before we’d go long, lose it and then defend? Well that takes it out the equation and we’re not going to attack for 90 minutes straight.

I also think some Scottish teams will really struggle to deal with passing them to death and eventually the concentration or disciple will slip which we’ll exploit.

Now don’t get me wrong it worked, but as someone who was a Jack Ross fan we always seemed to come up short if Boyle wasn’t firing on all cylinders. This system will in time get us to the next level imo, it will take patience and strong players to do it and not listen to the crowd if we’ve not scored within a certain amount of time.

Another thing that annoyed me under Ross at times was when we got to the final third everything was 100mph and we’d never pin teams back for a substantial period and try waiting for an opening - I think we’ll see that alot more now similar to what the old firm do.

I liked Ross’ recruitment to a certain degree but the majority seemed pretty safe players and physical, now Maloney is trying to implement his style with guys that aren’t used to that but are capable of it. Newell, JDH etc have the ability it’s just getting it out of them now.

Maloney has signed 4 new players plus had Mueller arrive. Of the 4 only Rocky and Henderson have been available for 1 game each as Melkersen and Clarke still wait for different reasons. He’s also had to deal with being without two of our most consistent performers in Porteous and McGinn. He’s now away to lose our most influential player in Martin Boyle.

Porteous, Clarke and even McGinn will make a big difference again when they’re back as they all have the ability to play out from the back - especially the first 2 and they can step into play.

For me he still needs a couple of signings suited to his style - someone in the number 10 position that can run behind, come to feet, dribble and pass - essentially someone like Barrie McKay at Hearts.

He’s used his full squad, giving lots of previously considered fringe players minutes without it having a huge effect on the outcome and has still got results.

I’m more than looking forward to seeing what he can do with his first pick 11 who are well suited and well recruited to his style.

Patience.
    That you have to end your post by saying patience to the lunatic element of our support is actually sad. SM has had what, 4 games?

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    That you have to end your post by saying patience to the lunatic element of our support is actually sad. SM has had what, 4 games?
    I’ve genuinely not seen people have a pop at SM? Where’s this about?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    I think it’s more the loud groans and constant booing tonight.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar

Patience.
    Couldn’t of put it better myself 👏 👏 👏

Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    Couldn’t of put it better myself 👏 👏 👏
    Agree. Plus Cove was potentially a banana skin, they’re flying in their League and I’ve supported Hibs long enough to have seen us lose those type of games.
    Come on The Talbot tonight !

Agree with the OP's message. Whilst disappointed with the timing of the JR sacking, I fully accept the need to change. But it has to be a change for the better.

Looking at the team set-up and players we have who have played or have yet to play under SM, I feel we are only two central midfielders away from being a good team. In the past, we were so dependant on Martin Boyle and when you look back we typically won when he was on fire and we lost when he was nullified.

Back to the OP's point about patience, I feel the supporters also need to become "supporters". Whatever your views of players, there are many of our supporters that accentuate the negatives and fail to focus on the negatives. Whilst listening to fans around me last night, there was a group that could only focus on Newell's passing back and ridiculed him when he played a forward pass. They ignored his good play and last night there was a lot of good moments. Newell, like many of our players, has poor moments and everything up to excellent moments. It's why he's at Hibs.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Patience.
    Great post. Your final word says it all. He is just in the door yet there is little or no appreciation from an impatient element in our support. We are keeping the ball and trying to dominate the game to hear groans because we go back to go forward really is pathetic imo. We absolutely weren't good last night but not helped by some fans lack of patience. Thought from the team selected he was taking a bit of a chance against a tricky in form team however bottom line in the cup is getting through.

You make a lot of good points.
    At no time last night did we as a support get behind the team.
    Bad enough that thousands of people can't be ersed turning up without those of us who do attend behaving like a bunch of spoiled kids.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    You make a lot of good points.
    At no time last night did we as a support get behind the team.
    Bad enough that thousands of people can't be ersed turning up without those of us who do attend behaving like a bunch of spoiled kids.
    Agreed! I'm not surprised about the attendance. I honestly believe that we've only around 6,000 who will always turn up at Easter Road, no matter the circumstances. We then have the wavering majority that seem to look for any reason not to turn up and watch the Hibees - it's on TV, it's too cold, it costs too much, the team's rubbish, I won't be back until Jack Ross is sacked, Covid etc etc. Many of these reasons being valid reasons for some, but for 10,000 fans who were there during the 'good times' to turn their backs on the Hibees.

With a bit luck and a linesman who does the job properly we would have won by two or three.
    Must give credit to Cove.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Agreed! I'm not surprised about the attendance. I honestly believe that we've only around 6,000 who will always turn up at Easter Road, no matter the circumstances. We then have the wavering majority that seem to look for any reason not to turn up and watch the Hibees - it's on TV, it's too cold, it costs too much, the team's rubbish, I won't be back until Jack Ross is sacked, Covid etc etc. Many of these reasons being valid reasons for some, but for 10,000 fans who were there during the 'good times' to turn their backs on the Hibees.
    Survive Covid or get uber fan badge...any reason indeed. I think your post proves some fans need any reason to take a pop at fellow fans. 6000 fans turn up no matter what and don't bother to support the team, noble endeavour, dedication by your wording of "no matter the circumstances".
    Bums on seats doesn't mean support. I'm sure the abusers had both cheeks planted.

How about the 6000 die-hards show the rest how to back the team? Complete and utter silence broken by shouts of abuse and boos is not exactly better than a fan sitting at home.

When Maloney came over to the East at FT he got a really good ovation from the Hibs fans. It would be mental for anyone to have judged him after 4 games and I think if anyone has then we are talking a handful or 2 out of tens if thousands. I think the ire in the stadium was very much borne our of frustration and was largely towards the players. A few of those on show last night have been found wanting for some time now.

It was freezing last night, it was a tiny crowd, we huffed and puffed against a stuffy team and it was a bit of a no win situation. Winning was the bare minimum, losing was a disaster. It was never going to be conductive to a good atmosphere. On the match thread it was blindingly obvious that a few of those really defending the performance weren't at the game because they were a fair bit behind the action on the park. It's a lot easier to be philosophical on a sofa with a warm drink and a pair of slippers on. I wasn't booing or jeering last night but I wasn't doing much to get behind the team beyond simply being a presence and filling a seat because it was absolutely ****ing miserable.

@hibs.net private member hibee1875's Avatar
    What impresses me last night was despite it being a very makeshift team with reserve players, players out of position and 2 debutants was that every single player knew their role.

Every player had options on the pass, there was no panicked lumped balls forward.

You would expect this sort of positional play and movement from the usual 11 but it just shows that they’re training hard and taking on board what maloney is wanting them to do

I’m not aware of people not getting behind the new manager.

Mowbrays team and mcleishs teams were the best football teams I have seen. Lennons first year back in prem was a different type of excitement imo.

Maloney is trying to find a blend of a couple of mentioned above, the fact he referenced mowbray shows that.

Mowbray steam were 4-1 up to Dundee and we drew 4-4. Maloneys teams won’t be built over night

But having played four and lost only away to Celtic, signs are good.

It wouldn’t be normal if he’s still got things to work on.

Give him and give the players time.

75% win record ain’t a bad start.

3 wins out of 4. Defeat away to Celtic. Decent start in anyones book.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    There were more than a few in the match thread mate. One in particular was scared that "Maloneyball will never work"🤣

I was very critical of certain players on that thread but I'm totally behind SM. He just needs time to get the right bods in & I think the last 2 games will have let him see exactly who can count on moving forward.

While it was a slog there are deffo positives from last night. Nisbet getting a goal, Mueller looking a handful and the positions he took up, young Hendo can cross a ball as well as his bro and Cadden should be the SPL all time assist leader if he get better movement from the forwards!

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    3 wins out of 4. Defeat away to Celtic. Decent start in anyones book.
    Yep, about a good a start as you could have hoped for in reality

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Crap as last night was, there are some positive changes already.

Big one for me is Cadden/Doig. The way he’s looking to play we are going to be reliant on them. Cadden scored at Utd and between Monday and last night should have had 3 or 4 assists. Doig obviously got the assist last night and could have scored himself. Them getting their numbers up is going to be really important.

Our strikers need to be getting on the end of more and a midfielder who actually wants to get in the box will score plenty.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Maloney put out a front 3 with about 30 minutes of football between them this season, when he was already forced to play a very makeshift back 3, in a system we're still not really comfortable with. He was lucky to get away with it in the end against a Cove team missing a couple of it's most experienced players in Logan and Vigurs.

He better learn quick.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    SM said he would give everyone a chance and he has done that now.
    Some strange team selections with players who were out of the picture under Ross getting game time.
    I think what we saw last night is why Ross rarely changed his team , he could not the rest were not good enough.
    Muller looked good I thought, good control.
    I still think we are weak down the spine of the team.
    For me centre midfield, center forward are musts.
    Newell frustrates the life out of me . He is a good player but slows the game with constant back passes. His foul count must be high also. Mainly caused by a slight lack of pace.
    Thought cadden was exceptional last night .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Lets be honest here, that last night was sheite, as sheite as anything we've witnessed recently. Of course we were short in certain positions, and we do have quite a few players out at the moment.

Boyle is a big miss, he'd be a big miss for any team in our league, but we have to find a way now to play without him, and with our players like McGennis Porteous Clarke and Doidge back, who i thought did well last night and will get better, we are still in a good place.

I have my fingers crossed that some of the Boyle money will be spent wisely on a Midfielder who will stamp his authority on the middle of the park and drive the team forward, be that box to box midfielder i feel we need.

I've not even mentioned Rocky or McGinn, we have a good squad, but are having a bad time of it at this particular time with suspensions and injuries.

I think Porteous is key to playing out the back. Look forward to his return .

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Maloney put out a front 3 with about 30 minutes of football between them this season, when he was already forced to play a very makeshift back 3, in a system we're still not really comfortable with. He was lucky to get away with it in the end against a Cove team missing a couple of it's most experienced players in Logan and Vigurs.

He better learn quick.
    I don't hear many negative vibes about Maloney but he dodged a massive bullet last night. And surely we are entitled to criticise the teams performance without it being a reflection on SM?

That was a woeful performance and some of the players are just not good enough.

No one that watched that lat night can be happy with what was on offer. Work in progress or not, that was terrible.

@hibs.net private member hibee1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post

He better learn quick.

Have a day off. His solutions to the squads problems got the job done last night.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Reading the match thread last night was brutal, the people that don't like Maloney have already made up their mind, this happened with Ross as well, there was a section of the support just waiting for any excuse to hound him out. You can already see it happening here, calling him names based on his height and other petty stuff like that. The fact he hasn't transformed the team in 4 games means he is an abject failure and out of his depth to some people. Even though there are so many extenuating circumstances.

We have so many injuries/suspensions that any sort of consistency is impossible, at the moment he is doing the best he can with what he has, and we have now just sold our best player too.

Some people just want something to be angry about and for many here that is hibs, maybe its Maloney, or Ian Gordon, or Ron, or whoever they just decide to dislike. I remember a time when some folk were even raging at Tam the kitman.....

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    If you've made up your mind about the new Hibs manager after four games (3 wins btw) then you have an agenda. Sorry.

Totally agree with op let’s get right behind the new manager may take a few bumps in the road going forward but so far like many fellow hibbys I’m genuinely quite excited with the way Shaun is getting trying to get our team to play the Hibs way of playing football personally as long as a Hibs team is putting the emphasis on passing ball on the ground football I’ll always back my manager /team he’s only just in the door I repeat Let’s get behind the manager and team

I was there last night and honestly didn't think the booing was that bad at all...few groans and moans but there was no sustained loud booing at all at anytime and to be honest the performance merited it at times - thought the majority of us who were there remained patient and stayed with the team