hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Var

Never a penalty that’s shocking

2. Log in to remove the advert

Nonsense decision in the Liverpool game.

Jota fell into the keeper. He clearly changes directio to do so.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I originally wanted it, but now i dont. I dont mind goaline tech and penalty decisions, but the offside decisions just do my head in. And dont get me on cheering when a goal is scored, i dont.

I dont enjoy a goal now until the ref has made them kick off again.

Here we go, 2 full minutes before even asking the ref to go and look, another full minute to give the decision. It’s not a penalty for me, Jota looked like he’d stepped into the keeper rather than the other way around but 3 minutes to make that decision is mental.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For decades, folk have been screaming for referees to be more accountable. VAR will be a huge step towards that.

Currently, the referee can make literally any decision they want and they NEVER have to justify it or change it. Very occasionally a ref will apologise for a bad decision but that's always after the fact and usually only when the "victim" was one of the uglies.

Now, their decisions will be scrutinised immediately and it will be extremely difficult to stick to an obvious howler when it's been analysed by several TV cameras.

Referees are unanimously in favour of introducing VAR. They want to make the correct decisions which, because they're human and it's a fast moving game, they're not always able to do. VAR will help them and help us.
    It's a question of which version of VAR you are referring to.

There have been several iterations of VAR in the English Premier League. Thee first run had VAR interferring everywhere. Then they went though a spell when VAR was very 'light touch' and was very unlikely to change the on-field decision unless the referee agreed. Now it seems to involve asking the referee if they wish to stand by a contentious decision.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    That is a shocker of a decision in the Palace game. jota knocked the ball too far ahead with a poor touch then stepped into the keeper. Not a good decision at all. And it took them 2 minutes to make a poor decision

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    That is a shocker of a decision in the Palace game. jota knocked the ball too far ahead with a poor touch then stepped into the keeper. Not a good decision at all. And it took them 2 minutes to make a poor decision
    The goalie was sliding on his knees

I thought pen straight away and haven't changed my mind

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I genuinely am baffled that anyone would prefer risking a defeat than allow the ref a second look at a decision because of the potential of a spontaneous celebration that may never happen later in the game.
    Not that simple though is it. It undoubtedly changes the experience of watching a game, and that’s just on tv, and for me it ruins it.

You could use all sorts of technology and time reviewing to try and get everything spot-on (where do you draw the line, pardon the pun). Or you could leave it as it was.

As it is, we have millions of pounds of technology, stoppages in every game to use computers.. and more arguments about decisions than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post

The player still makes a step to his right (away from the ball) to get that contact though. The keeper is allowed to slide.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar

Jota stepped towards him. He knocked the ball to the left and stepped to the right.

Has there ever been a game of football that been stopped for 30mins on var checks?

I wouldn’t imagine so. I may have been exaggerating a little due to radge using our extra time against Cove as an example of VAR is a good thing.

I should add, that when I tell folk that we were denied a goal because of a bad decision, people here are incredulous that we don't have VAR.

It's far more widely accepted than you think.
    Is it?

You say people you know think it’s great. I say almost everyone I speak to thinks the opposite. I doubt either of us are lying.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Not a penalty for me but it really bugs me when the referee is invited to have a look on the screen. He has made a decision in real time, either the VAR team should overule the original decision or let it stand. Farcical.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Is it?

You say people you know think it’s great. I say almost everyone I speak to thinks the opposite. I doubt either of us are lying.
    I also believe if every game in a competition round can’t have VAR then it should be in place for any. Our game had a disallowed goal as did Hearts yesterday, us having ours overturned and hearts not would be an injustice.

I just seen that Liverpool penalty and that's never pen the problem is not VAR its the referees that think that's a penalty is the problem I'm all for var

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by May21/05/16 View Post
    I just seen that Liverpool penalty and that's never pen the problem is not VAR its the referees that think that's a penalty is the problem I'm all for var

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
    Not once did they show the angle from behind Jota to the ref which showed him changing the angle of his run (unless I missed it within the 35 replays of the same angles over and over again), stepping out to his right to initiate contact.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    I also believe if every game in a competition round can’t have VAR then it should be in place for any. Our game had a disallowed goal as did Hearts yesterday, us having ours overturned and hearts not would be an injustice.
    I think that's the intention. VAR will come into play in the later rounds, presumably that means the semis and final.

I hate to go all Arsene Wenger on you, but I didn't see the penalty incident today because I'd nipped out to the dump (it had just shut 🙄) but I heard the arguments on Radio 5 live.

From what I heard, it's not VAR that's the problem, it's the way it's used.

However, I'll leave others to argue the merits or otherwise as I'm making this thread my own and that's not a good thing.

I think that's the intention. VAR will come into play in the later rounds, presumably that means the semis and final.

I hate to go all Arsene Wenger on you, but I didn't see the penalty incident today because I'd nipped out to the dump (it had just shut 🙄) but I heard the arguments on Radio 5 live.

From what I heard, it's not VAR that's the problem, it's the way it's used.

However, I'll leave others to argue the merits or otherwise as I'm making this thread my own and that's not a good thing.
    In my opinion there are so many problems with it that I can’t see any way in which it would be a benefit to Hibs. Week after week it’s shown down south to still favour the top sides. That game today was embarrassing for me.

Goal line - all for it. Offsides I don’t mind, although I’d change the law (one toe being an inch in front of another toe isn’t an ‘advantage’ to me), clear off the ball violent conduct which the ref hasn’t been able to see yup, although it very rarely happens. Subjective decisions isn’t for me as it leads to serious inconsistencies.

And don’t get me started on the VAR ref watching it for 2 minutes before passing the buck watching the same replay 100 times before telling the ref to go.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    In my opinion there are so many problems with it that I can’t see any way in which it would be a benefit to Hibs. Week after week it’s shown down south to still favour the top sides. That game today was embarrassing for me.

Goal line - all for it. Offsides I don’t mind, although I’d change the law (one toe being an inch in front of another toe isn’t an ‘advantage’ to me), clear off the ball violent conduct which the ref hasn’t been able to see yup, although it very rarely happens. Subjective decisions isn’t for me as it leads to serious inconsistencies.

And don’t get me started on the VAR ref watching it for 2 minutes before passing the buck watching the same replay 100 times before telling the ref to go.
    Can understand your point but just out of interest where would you draw your line?

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Can understand your point but just out of interest where would you draw your line?
    Mine would be the old daylight, deepest part of defenders body vs deepest of strikers. Offside rule is there to stop players gaining an advantage and unfortunately it’s gone too far, players are essentially level but for their arse cheek yet get punished for it.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Nonsense decision in the Liverpool game.

Jota fell into the keeper. He clearly changes directio to do so.
    Stonewaller😁😂

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

He would’ve missed Jota if Jota hadn’t changed direction to initiate the contact.

United we stand here....

Yep - I would just have it nowhere near any game of football in any competition ever 😁 but I fully accept we’re too far in now for that to happen.

And I agree no issue with goal line technology if it’s simply alerting the referee that the ball has gone over the line and doesn’t involved stopping games and overturning decisions constantly.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Stonewaller😁😂
    Why wasn’t the goalie sent off ;)

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    In my humble opinion it shouldnt have been a penalty but thinking about it how relevant is Jota being able or not able to get to the ball regrdless of being hit by the keeper? For instance if a ball was drifting out of play and no one could possibly catch the ball and a defender 5 yards away in the penalty area boots/contacts a striker would that not be a penalty? If the offence occured while the ball was still actually in play? In other words is actually being able to catch the ball a red herring in whether an offence has occured or not? Just asking the question.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    In my humble opinion it shouldnt have been a penalty but thinking about it how relevant is Jota being able or not able to get to the ball regrdless of being hit by the keeper? For instance if a ball was drifting out of play and no one could possibly catch the ball and a defender 5 yards away in the penalty area boots/contacts a striker would that not be a penalty? If the offence occured while the ball was still actually in play? In other words is actually being able to catch the ball a red herring in whether an offence has occured or not? Just asking the question.
    I don't see why it should make any difference

A foul is a foul surley?

Var

100% I don’t want it. For the occasional time like tonight where it would help, there are a multitude of examples where the game would break down completely and bore us all to tears, looking for tiny issues with a goal or a millimetre offside.

We won regardless without it.

Would be good in games v smeltic / huns.

@hibs.net private member
    Yip, if you commit a foul in the box no matter where the ball is (as long as it’s in play), it’s a penalty. A goalie could punch a striker even if the ball is in the opposite box and it would still be a penalty

This is where I’m at and too. “He had lost control of the ball” or “wasn’t getting it anyway” doesn’t mean you can just do why you want to him.

[
    Go to about 4min 40s on this and see what you think about the penalty decision ;-) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK9XlXdNc6Q
    Unlike a clash of heads when both players hit each other, the defender's head hits the back of the striker's head as he was waiting for the ball to arrive.

He didn't mean it, and he got hurt in the process, but is that not still a foul?

I realise there are still be some controversial VAR decisions, but the obvious mistakes are more or less a thing of the past.

Any consultant doing a decision "force field" will have the benefits of VAR far outweighing any negatives.[/QUOTE]

On the example I gave, and I chose it for this reason - there's an argument that you are right, the defender fouled the striker, there's also an argument that it's an accidental head clash and should be play on (or stop for treatment and then a drop ball), and there's also an argument that the striker is backing into a defender just standing his ground and it should be a defensive free kick. Stick 10 neutral football fans in a room watching that and you won't get unanimous agreement on the right decision. VAR doesn't solve that. Here it was supposed to be only used to correct clear errors by the ref, who in this particular incident waved play on before the VAR assistant got in his ear and he awarded the spot kick. Imagine that was Hibs v Rangers - what do you think the decision would be

As I said before though, on balance I'm in favour of VAR, just not sure how best to implement it - where there is a clear yes/no decision, like a ball crossing the line, then definitely should be used. Decisions more open to interpretation, it will still raise arguments.