hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Var

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone in favour of var think it will improve your match day experience? I’m very much a go to the game fan, I was there on Thursday and I’ll be there on Wednesday. I’m not trying to make it an Uber fan argument, but in my opinion var doesn’t do anything for the fans that are in the stadium. What will happen is decisions will be changed and those of us sitting in the stadium will be clueless as to why it’s happened and the fans watching on the tv will have to text us dafties that stupidly shelled out to go to the game.
    The referee’s usually make a signal as to why they have decided to change or award a decision. I think VAR is needed in this country. There are people who are not for it but I think the reality is we will see it introduced sooner rather than later, especially if we continue to have players, fans and clubs calling out officiating frequently.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesHFC View Post
    The referee’s usually make a signal as to why they have decided to change or award a decision. I think VAR is needed in this country. There are people who are not for it but I think the reality is we will see it introduced sooner rather than later, especially if we continue to have players, fans and clubs calling out officiating frequently.
    Scotland as a country has always tried to copy what has gone on in England, but this our chance to market our game differently

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I think it could turn fans away from attending games and unlike the premiership there’s not someone on a waiting list to take their place.
    No chance. VAR is far less intrusive than people think.

In fact, it often adds something to the game. Each set of supporters have their hopes raised and either realised or dashed once the decision is made.

That sense of injustice we feel when a referee or assistant made the wrong decision, possibly because they were unsighted or they just made a mistake, will be much less frequent.

Goals wrongly chalked off because the striker was too quick for the assistant, will be reinstated. Off the ball stamps, slaps and punches will be punished immediately rather than in retrospect when the result has already been determined.

It baffles me that all those benefits and more are on offer yet folk still don't want them. Why? Because we might have to wait a few seconds for the correct decision. Who said football fans are conservative (insert interrobang).

VAR's not going to ruin football at all. It'll change it a little bit, but for the better.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    No chance. VAR is far less intrusive than people think.

In fact, it often adds something to the game. Each set of supporters have their hopes raised and either realised or dashed once the decision is made.

That sense of injustice we feel when a referee or assistant made the wrong decision, possibly because they were unsighted or they just made a mistake, will be much less frequent.

Goals wrongly chalked off because the striker was too quick for the assistant, will be reinstated. Off the ball stamps, slaps and punches will be punished immediately rather than in retrospect when the result has already been determined.

It baffles me that all those benefits and more are on offer yet folk still don't want them. Why? Because we might have to wait a few seconds for the correct decision. Who said football fans are conservative (insert interrobang).

VAR's not going to ruin football at all. It'll change it a little bit, but for the better.
    100% this.

Scotland as a country has always tried to copy what has gone on in England, but this our chance to market our game differently
    I can imagine the slogan.

"Come to the SPFL. We don't do rules".
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

For decades, folk have been screaming for referees to be more accountable. VAR will be a huge step towards that.

Currently, the referee can make literally any decision they want and they NEVER have to justify it or change it. Very occasionally a ref will apologise for a bad decision but that's always after the fact and usually only when the "victim" was one of the uglies.

Now, their decisions will be scrutinised immediately and it will be extremely difficult to stick to an obvious howler when it's been analysed by several TV cameras.

Referees are unanimously in favour of introducing VAR. They want to make the correct decisions which, because they're human and it's a fast moving game, they're not always able to do. VAR will help them and help us.

Does anyone in favour of var think it will improve your match day experience? I’m very much a go to the game fan, I was there on Thursday and I’ll be there on Wednesday. I’m not trying to make it an Uber fan argument, but in my opinion var doesn’t do anything for the fans that are in the stadium. What will happen is decisions will be changed and those of us sitting in the stadium will be clueless as to why it’s happened and the fans watching on the tv will have to text us dafties that stupidly shelled out to go to the game.
    Hibs scoring a perfectly good goal after 30 minutes would've considerably improved my night.

No it definitely won’t improve my match day experience and I agree with you entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    No it definitely won’t improve my match day experience and I agree with you entirely.
    Do you think the Cove game would have been better or worse if VAR was in operation?

I guess if you like value for money then the lack of VAR gave us an extra 30 minutes of fairly crap and nervous football, otherwise we'd have won 2-0 in the 90 minutes.

Do you think the Cove game would have been better or worse if VAR was in operation?

I guess if you like value for money then the lack of VAR gave us an extra 30 minutes of fairly crap and nervous football, otherwise we'd have won 2-0 in the 90 minutes.
    30 mins of fannying about looking at monitors and putting lines on screens instead while the fans don’t know if it’s worth celebrating a goal instead? No thanks.

Fully aware you are completely in favour of VAR radge, we definitely won’t change each other’s minds.

For me it’s the main thing that separates football as a sport, that euphoria of a goal going in and the spontaneous celebration. Every goal in the English premier league now I’m waiting for them to question whether it counts.

It’s crap (in my opinion).

In theory I love the idea of VAR, but we've had it over here in Australia for 2 or 3 seasons now and I'm not sure it's improved anything. I'd keep it for offsides - it can seem a bit over the top to analyse and re-analyse footage and then allow or disallow a goal on a question of millimetres, but at least it is inarguable - there is a a line you can draw where offside begins and ends. The issue is on penalties and red cards - challenges often look worse in slow motion and I've often thought - even in games where my team isn't playing, or has benefitted in games they are playing - that the officials have got the decision wrong even after VAR.

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    Does the Scottish version automatically come with the 'Penalty to Rangers' screen?

30 mins of fannying about looking at monitors and putting lines on screens instead while the fans don’t know if it’s worth celebrating a goal instead? No thanks.

Fully aware you are completely in favour of VAR radge, we definitely won’t change each other’s minds.

For me it’s the main thing that separates football as a sport, that euphoria of a goal going in and the spontaneous celebration. Every goal in the English premier league now I’m waiting for them to question whether it counts.

We won't change our minds but I find it astonishing that you'd prefer we had good goals disallowed rather than spend a few seconds checking the decision.

We weren't allowed the euphoria of the goal going in or the spontaneous celebration because Doidge was wrongly ruled off side twice.

But, until it's here and everyone takes it for granted, I'll remain astonished.

Quote Originally Posted by ChilliEater View Post
    In theory I love the idea of VAR, but we've had it over here in Australia for 2 or 3 seasons now and I'm not sure it's improved anything. I'd keep it for offsides - it can seem a bit over the top to analyse and re-analyse footage and then allow or disallow a goal on a question of millimetres, but at least it is inarguable - there is a a line you can draw where offside begins and ends. The issue is on penalties and red cards - challenges often look worse in slow motion and I've often thought - even in games where my team isn't playing, or has benefitted in games they are playing - that the officials have got the decision wrong even after VAR.
    I understand that. What about hand balls?

We won't change our minds but I find it astonishing that you'd prefer we had good goals disallowed rather than spend a few seconds checking the decision.

We weren't allowed the euphoria of the goal going in or the spontaneous celebration because Doidge was wrongly ruled off side twice.

But, until it's here and everyone takes it for granted, I'll remain astonished.
    It can’t be that astonishing mate. I know you’ve said most people you know in England are all for it, but the vast majority of football fans I know anywhere can’t be ar*ed with it.

It definitely splits opinion and certainly hasn’t won over the vast majority since it’s implementation almost 4 years ago.
    Last edited by WeeRussell; 23-01-2022 at 11:31 AM.

It can’t be that astonishing mate.
    I genuinely am baffled that anyone would prefer risking a defeat than allow the ref a second look at a decision because of the potential of a spontaneous celebration that may never happen later in the game.

I should add, that when I tell folk that we were denied a goal because of a bad decision, people here are incredulous that we don't have VAR.

It's far more widely accepted than you think.

I understand that. What about hand balls?
    Again - because it's so open to opinion on what's an "unnatural" position, it's hard to get agreement on what the correct decision is. The Josh Doig one against Celtic, replays look like the Celtic player may have brought it down on his arm, and it may have hit Doig on the chest before it hit his arm, and his arm is not in a strange position, and it was clearly ball to hand and not hand to ball, but I doubt the decision would have been overturned. Celtic fans will be convinced it was penalty, we'd be convinced it wasn't, but if you try to view it neutrally, either giving it or disallowing it, either looks like an understandable decision.

I've seen plenty of VAR decisions here that have left me shaking my head. It is no guarantee of getting the decision right. Having said all that, on balance I'm still in favour, just don't expect "bad" decisions to disappear. It would have improved our recent derby record though - Griffiths free kick, Shaw's and Forster's goals at Tynie would all have stood.

Go to about 4min 40s on this and see what you think about the penalty decision ;-) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK9XlXdNc6Q
    Last edited by ChilliEater; 23-01-2022 at 11:57 AM.

[
    Go to about 4min 40s on this and see what you think about the penalty decision ;-) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK9XlXdNc6Q[/QUOTE]

Unlike a clash of heads when both players hit each other, the defender's head hits the back of the striker's head as he was waiting for the ball to arrive.

He didn't mean it, and he got hurt in the process, but is that not still a foul?

I realise there are still be some controversial VAR decisions, but the obvious mistakes are more or less a thing of the past.

Any consultant doing a decision "force field" will have the benefits of VAR far outweighing any negatives.

Another horrendous VAR decision in the Liverpool game with the player well offside in the lead up to the goal. Piss poor.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Another horrendous VAR decision in the Liverpool game with the player well offside in the lead up to the goal. Piss poor.
    The goal would have been given without VAR so the argument is whether the referee was right that the player who jumped for the ball, but missed it, was offside.

He would only be off if he "clearly attempted to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent". The referree thought not.

It's not a VAR issue.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 23-01-2022 at 02:04 PM.

The goal would have been given without VAR so the argument is whether the referee was right that the player who jumped for the ball, but missed it, was offside.

He would only be off if he "clearly attempted to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent". The referree thought not.

It's not a VAR issue.
    It never is a VAR issue. It’s clearly offside. He clearly makes a play for the ball, he clearly impacts the game as it leaves the space for the goalscorer. VAR is supposed to fix referee errors. It’s not done so yet again so it’s pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    It never is a VAR issue. It’s clearly offside. He clearly makes a play for the ball, he clearly impacts the game as it leaves the space for the goalscorer. VAR is supposed to fix referee errors. It’s not done so yet again so it’s pointless.
    That's what I said. It's not a VAR issue.

The referee doesn't think the player became active so he's not offside, but at least he had the chance to reconsider.

We can have a different opinion to the referee, but it's his that counts.

No VAR needed for Palace's goal.

You would hope that VAR would have given us the stonewaller penalty in the LC final.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974

Has there ever been a game of football that been stopped for 30mins on var checks?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

That's what I said. It's not a VAR issue.

The referee doesn't think the player became active so he's not offside, but at least he had the chance to reconsider.

We can have a different opinion to the referee, but it's his that counts.

No VAR needed for Palace's goal.
    The referee never had a chance to reconsider. It wasn’t reviewed on the field. The VAR official decided not to. It’s his job to apply the laws of the game and the laws are clear that that was offside.

It’s the exact thing (outwith the timing part) that I’ve a massive issue with. Debatable calls are never shown to the ref to consider, or discussed with him. Hence why there’s a 100% overturn stat when sent to the pitch side monitor. If people accept that VAR is to be in place then the games should effectively be re-referee’d to allow the man in the middle to make his own decisions - not rely on a random guy in a video room to pick and choose when he gets involved leading to zero consistency.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I genuinely am baffled that anyone would prefer risking a defeat than allow the ref a second look at a decision because of the potential of a spontaneous celebration that may never happen later in the game.
    You’re painting a very one sided argument where we will only benefit from decisions. There’s going to be plenty times when we lose out as well, and when that happens the fans in the stadium are going to be really pissed off. A last minute winner in a derby match being ruled out for a foul in the build up won’t have everyone leaving the stadium praising var, they’ll be annoyed.

United we stand here....

You’re painting a very one sided argument where we will only benefit from decisions. There’s going to be plenty times when we lose out as well, and when that happens the fans in the stadium are going to be really pissed off. A last minute winner in a derby match being ruled out for a foul in the build up won’t have everyone leaving the stadium praising var, they’ll be annoyed.
    I realise that there are negatives as well as positives and I've said so several times, but I've also said that the benefits clearly outweigh them.

I can accept bad luck or a decision that disadvantages us if it's correct, but I abhor injustice and unfairness.

If we lose out because of a correct VAR application, I'll be disappointed but not angry like I am when we're done by bad decisions.

Anyway, it's coming in next season so we'll all have to hope that they've learned from the EPL experience and it's implemented as smoothly as possible.

Yes, I realise that's another discussion altogether!

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Another farcical VAR decision.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    Another farcical VAR decision.
    You reckon?

Goalie slides out and into the attacker and probaly stops him getting the ball

I don't get carra saying no pen

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk