hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Var

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Var

Are there still people who don't want VAR?

Hibs could have lost that game tonight, despite Doidge being clearly onside both times.

Would the argument that the spontaneity of a goal celebration is ruined by VAR outweigh the fact that the spontaneity of what should have been 2 goals was ruined by the lack of VAR?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are there still people who don't want VAR?

Hibs could have lost that game tonight, despite Doidge being clearly onside both times.

Would the argument that the spontaneity of a goal celebration is ruined by VAR outweigh the fact that the spontaneity of what should have been 2 goals was ruined by the lack of VAR?
    100% I don’t want it. For the occasional time like tonight where it would help, there are a multitude of examples where the game would break down completely and bore us all to tears, looking for tiny issues with a goal or a millimetre offside.

We won regardless without it.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    100% I don’t want it. For the occasional time like tonight where it would help, there are a multitude of examples where the game would break down completely and bore us all to tears, looking for tiny issues with a goal or a millimetre offside.
    That's such an exaggeration. By far the majority of VAR decisions are made while the game continues and there is little or no delay.

The fact that we won tonight is irrelevant. We were forced into unnecessary extra time thereby risking injury to our players, and risking elimination from the competition.

Had VAR been in force, the goals would have been checked and we would have celebrated. I'd happily wait a few seconds for the correct decision rather than accept incompetence from the officials so there's no delays.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Knowing Scottish refs they would still make an meal of it with or without var

That's such an exaggeration. By far the majority of VAR decisions are made while the game continues and there is little or no delay.

The fact that we won tonight is irrelevant. We were forced into unnecessary extra time thereby risking injury to our players, and risking elimination from the competition.

Had VAR been in force, the goals would have been checked and we would have celebrated. I'd happily wait a few seconds for the correct decision rather than accept incompetence from the officials so there's no delays.
    And the rest of the game is different and we may have lost 2-1. No chance do I want VAR anywhere near our game.

And the rest of the game is different and we may have lost 2-1. No chance do I want VAR anywhere near our game.
    I get that you don't want it.

You prefer to tolerate wrong decisions, inept refereeing performances and the potential for unaccountable cheating to short delays.

I feel exactly the opposite way.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I get that you don't want it.

You prefer to tolerate wrong decisions, inept refereeing performances and the potential for unaccountable cheating to short delays.

I feel exactly the opposite way.
    And you get just as many wrong decisions with VAR with huge delays in between and huge inconsistencies game by game.

You asked a question, I gave you an answer and you don’t like that. Pointless.

And you get just as many wrong decisions with VAR with huge delays in between and huge inconsistencies game by game.

I accepted your answer, see above. I just take the opposite view.

However, we certainly don't get anywhere the same number of wrong decisions with VAR as without. There are some, but by far the majority of decisions are resolved correctly.

Thats bollocks. Give me two examples from this season in the EPL.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Thats bollocks. Give me two examples from this season in the EPL.
    Just two? Liverpool spurs game, Andy Robertson on Kane, Kane on Robertson, both red card offences. 0 overturned. That’s one single game.

There will come a time where there isn't a choice but to have it as the rest of the world continues its spread of it.

Quote Originally Posted by LunasBoots View Post
    There will come a time where there isn't a choice but to have it as the rest of the world continues its spread of it.
    First step would be getting goal line technology in. It’s quite embarrassing that we don’t have that facility yet we’re chatting about VAR. One is factual and the other is subjective.

I’m not 100% against technology - my pet hate is turning all American with it though and having stop start games. Look at the Man Utd Villa one last week. They literally ran through every slow motion of every angle of every incident in the cross, the block, the potential offside in the middle, then potential handball, then after a few minutes checking everything, went back and told the ref to look at the very first incident. There should be a 20 second cut off, 2 replays. If that’s not clear enough move on. None of the ultra zoom slow mo’s that just indicate your trying to find fault with things.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LunasBoots View Post
    Is there not a varccine yet?
    Mon the Hibs.

Incredible to me that people don't want disallowed goals that are a yard onside to be given.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

If you weren’t exaggerating then maybe your answer would be taken more seriously.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

VAR is an absolute must, I’m sick of games in this country hinging on officials who (if I’m being very generous) simply need more help to get things right.

It needs tweaked, but it’s relatively new and with a couple of changes I think it would improve the game massively. No more decisions like we saw last night where a goal and a chance were denied because of offside.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    If you weren’t exaggerating then maybe your answer would be taken more seriously.
    Exaggerating what? While watching games now, I still see multiple talking points and contentious decisions every game I watch that VAR decides not to intervene on. While watching the games before VAR I felt their refs were fairly decent and got most decisions correct. I don’t think VAR overturns a lot of bad decisions. It also affects the referee - who is less likely to make a decision knowing VAR is there, however VAR doesn’t get involved half the time as it’s not ‘clear and obvious’.

I’m not exaggerating when I say I feel watching games there’s just as many bad decisions now with VAR as there was without.

@hibs.net private member
    Not seen any of the replays - was there some wrong decisions last night. Doidges goal for example ? Looked inside at the game to me ..also wasn’t sure if Muellers run was inside also …

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Not seen any of the replays - was there some wrong decisions last night. Doidges goal for example ? Looked inside at the game to me ..also wasn’t sure if Muellers run was inside also …
    Doidge was onside, yard or two. Issue was the defender was coming out so quick that within a millisecond Doidge was yards off. Was a tough call and no doubt would’ve been overturned.

@hibs.net private member
    Doidge was onside, yard or two. Issue was the defender was coming out so quick that within a millisecond Doidge was yards off. Was a tough call and no doubt would’ve been overturned.
    Cheers Sam

Exaggerating what? While watching games now, I still see multiple talking points and contentious decisions every game I watch that VAR decides not to intervene on. While watching the games before VAR I felt their refs were fairly decent and got most decisions correct. I don’t think VAR overturns a lot of bad decisions. It also affects the referee - who is less likely to make a decision knowing VAR is there, however VAR doesn’t get involved half the time as it’s not ‘clear and obvious’.

I’m not exaggerating when I say I feel watching games there’s just as many bad decisions now with VAR as there was without.
    You’re exaggerating the time it takes to make decisions. Some take longer than others but a lot of the time it’s within a minute or two the decision is made.

Football fans are funny creatures, some would rather scream a shout that the referee has got the decision wrong but are against bringing in a system to help them get more decisions correct.

Sir Alex Ferguson

You’re exaggerating the time it takes to make decisions. Some take longer than others but a lot of the time it’s within a minute or two the decision is made.

Football fans are funny creatures, some would rather scream a shout that the referee has got the decision wrong but are against bringing in a system to help them get more decisions correct.
    I’ve never said it was more than a couple of minutes have I? But a couple of minutes completely kills the game. Players standing about, fans not having a clue what’s going on. All I said was if it was brought in there should be a 2 replay 20 second rule.

How many times does a ref get asked to check his own decision and stands by it? I genuinely think that would be 0 this year. The screen is a waste of time.

I’ve never said it was more than a couple of minutes have I? But a couple of minutes completely kills the game. Players standing about, fans not having a clue what’s going on. All I said was if it was brought in there should be a 2 replay 20 second rule.

How many times does a ref get asked to check his own decision and stands by it? I genuinely think that would be 0 this year. The screen is a waste of time.
    You said "huge", to me that isnt a couple of minutes...maybe I should ask my wife how long she thinks huge is

Sir Alex Ferguson

You said "huge", to me that isnt a couple of minutes...maybe I should ask my wife how long she thinks huge is
    2 minutes is a huge chunk of time in football terms. Can you imagine the ball goes out of play and the keeper stands doing nothing for 2 minutes before taking the goal kick?

2 minutes is a huge chunk of time in football terms. Can you imagine the ball goes out of play and the keeper stands doing nothing for 2 minutes before taking the goal kick?
    Are you honestly saying you'd rather the status quo that could have seen us lose the game and be out the Scottish Cup last night due to some rubbish from the officials than wait for a decision to be made?

The TMO in rugby is an example of technology introduced and is now the norm and people accept it in the game because by and large the decisions are correct.

VAR needs tweaked, no question, and I would like to see and appeals system in place whereby captains get 3 appeals each half or something like that.

I would rather the take the time and at least give themselves a chance to get the decisions correct.

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    I'm wondering who actually sits with a stopwatch to know how long each stoppage lasts.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Definitely want it for blatant decisions as last night. Could have been out the cup because of it. Personally thought the ref was shocking. Doig shot saved goal kick wtf

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    I'm wondering who actually sits with a stopwatch to know how long each stoppage lasts.
    There is a clock in the top left hand side of the screen that does it for you.

Are you honestly saying you'd rather the status quo that could have seen us lose the game and be out the Scottish Cup last night due to some rubbish from the officials than wait for a decision to be made?

The TMO in rugby is an example of technology introduced and is now the norm and people accept it in the game because by and large the decisions are correct.

VAR needs tweaked, no question, and I would like to see and appeals system in place whereby captains get 3 appeals each half or something like that.

I would rather the take the time and at least give themselves a chance to get the decisions correct.
    That’s exactly what I’m saying. We won last night, there is no guarantee we would have had that goal been given. It’s not an exact science that way.

Comparing VAR with TMO is apples and pears. Rugby is a stop start sport. Scrums often take 3/4 minutes out of a game at a time. I just don’t want to come to a game and sit waiting on some fanny in an office trying their best to disallow a goal.

That’s exactly what I’m saying. We won last night, there is no guarantee we would have had that goal been given. It’s not an exact science that way.

Comparing VAR with TMO is apples and pears. Rugby is a stop start sport. Scrums often take 3/4 minutes out of a game at a time. I just don’t want to come to a game and sit waiting on some fanny in an office trying their best to disallow a goal.
    Righto, well we're not going to agree at all.

Sir Alex Ferguson