hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought his comments about losing his job were fair enough. Much as I was glad to see him go, from a professional perspective it was obvious he’d feel hard done by. Thought the comments about Boyle were a bit ‘look at me the players still love me’. Wonder if he’d have been in the press recommending the club let Boyle go if he was still in charge….

Good points.

I think this may be related to some sort of personal fall out with our owner and why JR was "disappeared" so abruptly.
    (his results wouldn't have helped !)
    Last edited by hhibs; 21-01-2022 at 01:11 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

"Martin Boyle... We'll know more in the next 24-48 hours but I have to say the boy himself has been very good, very professional"

Had to smile when he called Martin 'the boy', when he only looks about 13 himself. Infact, Martin Boyle looks older!

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Maloney is a bit touchy. He's in for a hard time as Hibs manager if that's the case.
    You’d probably moan if he was a pushover too

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    Ross is hurting and had a wee fit of pique but his comments were very mild compared to how he is really feeling.

Maloney is a wee pipsqueak though who has to earn the right to be "disrespected'.

He should learn to keep his wee gob shut and concentrate on team matters.
    Funnily enough there is a guy over on kickback using “pipsqueak” to describe Maloney too. Amazing coincidence since this word was last heard when Hearts last won the League cup.

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    Can you get big pipsqueaks? 🤷🏻

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by West lower View Post
    Funnily enough there is a guy over on kickback using “pipsqueak” to describe Maloney too. Amazing coincidence since this word was last heard when Hearts last won the League cup.
    Pipsqueaks used extensively in 2020 to describe a number of Jambos moaning about being relegated for being bottom of the league.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I'd like to propose a bit of appreciation for usage of the word pipsqueak

Genuinely not heard that since primary school, I really hope it reenters the popular lexicon.
    Shut it, pointdexter 😉
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

JR given the chance just now on Sportscene to keep this going but chose not to.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Sensible decision, his comments on Boyle were unnecessary, the rest fine.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Mountain out of a molehill. No one was bothered about what Ross said yesterday but Maloney’s now made a headline out of it for some reason. Even the pundits were a bit surprised he’d chosen to make a thing of it.

Who cares if Boyle was speaking to Ross? I’ve spoken to old bosses that I’ve liked and respected before as well.
    Exactly right.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGray View Post
    You’d probably moan if he was a pushover too
    Maloney is a serious guy, he tells it as he sees it. He thinks he is right, perhaps always right. I hope we all know that no one is always right.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Exactly right.
    Do you not think the hosts/pundits are the ones who attempted to make something out of it? I was listening on the way home and the host on BBC Radio Scotland was audibly excited. Lee Miller pointed out it was headline grabbing at best from the Sun and Brian Rice declined to comment yet the host did persist. In this case it was the host.

Saying that, the host also did twice suggest the result from our game was a shock and asked where the next shock result would be this weekend and to top it off suggested Rangers v Stirling was “some tie”.

I’m not convinced either JR or SM has said anything particularly extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    players love him so much he lost his job because of them.
    When did JR say the players love him?

That's a total myth.

He said that he'd been in touch with Martin Boyle who was asking for advice, like any professional does with their mentor.

Making things up to bash him with is unfair and detracts from what little merit their might be in the genuine issue.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    When did JR say the players love him?

That's a total myth.

He said that he'd been in touch with Martin Boyle who was asking for advice, like any professional does with their mentor.

Making things up to bash him with is unfair and detracts from what little merit their might be in the genuine issue.
    Exactly, JR hasn’t said a lot wrong. Basically just what any reasonably minded person would say.

I can however see why SM would be annoyed, you rarely hear ex managers comment on their old club. More of an etiquette matter than an outrageous comment.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Do you not think the hosts/pundits are the ones who attempted to make something out of it? I was listening on the way home and the host on BBC Radio Scotland was audibly excited. Lee Miller pointed out it was headline grabbing at best from the Sun and Brian Rice declined to comment yet the host did persist. In this case it was the host.

Saying that, the host also did twice suggest the result from our game was a shock and asked where the next shock result would be this weekend and to top it off suggested Rangers v Stirling was “some tie”.

I’m not convinced either JR or SM has said anything particularly extreme.
    Personally, I'd have said nothing publicly but if I felt aggrieved with JR'S remarks, I'd have picked the phone up and spoken to him.

There's no reason for JR to have anything against SM, so I'm sure it would have been resolved amicably.

Now, to me and a lot of others, it looks like SM is a bit thin skinned and overly sensitive.

He's going to face a lot of criticism, fair and unfair, from all sorts of directions, so to rise to such a small piece of bait this early in his career, seems unwise. The fact that he has done so will just encourage his detractors rather than frighten them off.

But, as has been pointed out by Danderhall, it really is a storm in a molehill, or something.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 22-01-2022 at 11:42 AM.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Personally, I'd have said nothing publicly but if I felt aggrieved with JR'S remarks, I'd have picked the phone up and spoken to him.

There's no reason for JR to have anything against SM, so I'm sure it would have been resolved amicably.

Now, to me and a lot of others, it looks like SM is a bit thin skinned and overly sensitive.

He's going to face a lot of criticism, fair and unfair, from all sorts of directions, so to rise to such a small piece of bait this early in his career, seems unwise. The fact that he has done so will just encourage his detractors rather than frighten them off.

But, as has been pointed out by Danderhall, it really is a storm in a molehill, or something.
    I think talk of Maloney being thin skinned or over sensitive is making a bigger deal out of it, much the same as is the case with Jack Ross talking about Boyle. I think Ross said what he did out of self promotion and probably better not to have spoken about the transfer but he didn’t go overboard. Similarly Maloney made a comment in passing and hasn’t made it into a big issue.

Definitely mountain out of a molehill territory IMO.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Of course, if Maloney said nothing there would have been loads on here saying that he should have reacted................

I think Ross knew exactly what he was doing.

Every answer in every interview was always carefully thought out, now he’s left he’s sharing his honest opinion on Boyle and that he should leave where as when he was with us and asked about another player he would have said “I’m not going to talk about other players out of respect for the club”.

He’s a very calculated man and was undermining the club imo.

I’m glad Maloney mentioned it - he hardly had a massive go at him like some are making out he only said things have been thought and the comments of an ex manager we’re disrespectful.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Of course, if Maloney said nothing there would have been loads on here saying that he should have reacted................
    No-one said anything remotely like that when JRs comments were originally published.

In fact, most people said that his comments were fair enough.

Nothing wrong with Ross talking to an ex player but to suggest Hibs weren't doing the right thing by Boyle by not letting him leave was just wrong, hence why Maloney said what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Nothing wrong with Ross talking to an ex player but to suggest Hibs weren't doing the right thing by Boyle by not letting him leave was just wrong, hence why Maloney said what he did.
    100%

I’m sure Boyle never wanted Ross running to the press either detailing their chat.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Yeah, always soft touches etc.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    No-one said anything remotely like that when JRs comments were originally published.

In fact, most people said that his comments were fair enough.
    Perhaps the right people were not commenting..................

Perhaps the right people were not commenting..................
    Fine margins...

He didn't suggest that.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Bottled it.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesHFC View Post
    Bottled it.
    Hardly

He didn't suggest that.
    He suggested Hibs should allow Boyle to leave, the club was in that process as we've seen already.

He suggested Hibs should allow Boyle to leave, the club was in that process as we've seen already.
    Exactly. It's like one of the kid on ITK folk posting rumours after they're already well known.

He didn't suggest Hibs weren't doing the right thing as your post stated.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I think Ross knew exactly what he was doing.

Every answer in every interview was always carefully thought out, now he’s left he’s sharing his honest opinion on Boyle and that he should leave where as when he was with us and asked about another player he would have said “I’m not going to talk about other players out of respect for the club”.

He’s a very calculated man and was undermining the club imo.

I’m glad Maloney mentioned it - he hardly had a massive go at him like some are making out he only said things have been thought and the comments of an ex manager we’re disrespectful.
    Also glad Maloney mentioned it , Ross talking nonsense to make him sound relevant and let people know he is still there.
    Maybe the jobs he thought were going to come his way haven't materialised although it seemed to help him get a job as a pundit for the BBC at a junior ground between a junior football team having played at that level himself and his former employer .
    Now he is part of the BBC pundits won't belong before he is sharing a cup of team with one of his mentors Dr Football