hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Midfield

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

Midfield

I think this is our weakest area, we rarely dominate the midfield whether we win or lose.

Formations will play a big part, particularly if Maloney wants to play with a two but what balanced midfield can we make from any combination of:

Magennis
    Gogic
    Allan
    Hallberg
    Campbell
    Newell
    JDH

7 central midfielders but none are obvious candidates to build around. Magennis you could, but he’s never fit so we almost have to recruit on the basis he won’t be available all that often. I’d keep Campbell & JDH as squad players and keep Maggenis. The others I’d look to move on as a priority over the next few windows.

We need to invest as much of the Boyle money into central midfielders that are athletic and can get from box to box, and as importantly have the desire to actually go box to box, particularly if we are to go with a two.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think this is our weakest area, we rarely dominate the midfield whether we win or lose.

Formations will play a big part, particularly if Maloney wants to play with a two but what balanced midfield can we make from any combination of:

Magennis
    Gogic
    Allan
    Hallberg
    Campbell
    Newell
    JDH

7 central midfielders but none are obvious candidates to build around. Magennis you could, but he’s never fit so we almost have to recruit on the basis he won’t be available all that often. I’d keep Campbell & JDH as squad players and keep Maggenis. The others I’d look to move on as a priority over the next few windows.

We need to invest as much of the Boyle money into central midfielders that are athletic and can get from box to box, and as importantly have the desire to actually go box to box, particularly if we are to go with a two.
    I'm not sure if I'd build our midfield around Joe Newell, but he'd be an integral part of it. Quite a lot seemed to go through him tonight and while he had a dodgy spell, I can appreciate his value.
    It's all very well having these steady players, but mercurial talents like Scott Allan are worth a lot. The moaning fans were crying out for someone like that tonight, and even if they don't play every game, players like that keep the fans onside and add that spark.

Need someone who can carry the ball forward and drive at defences. That may be Magennis but he’s never fit. Newell is tidy and links defence and midfield reasonably well. Campbell, JDH, Hallberg and Gogic we really need to do better. Very surprised Tait went out on loan given our lack of quality in the middle.

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    I agree wholeheartedly that we need more athleticism, power, and drive in central midfield. Like the OP said, in just about every game we're outmuscled in that part of the park, and we rarely every threaten through the middle either.

We have the money now to improve that area of the pitch so no excuses...

First Team Breakthrough
    I think halberg gogic, scottie will be away and newall only plays well in every second game if that Campbell and jdh are still young and learning, hopefully see some movement in the next few days

Yep I’d really like to see us sign two midfielders with a view to them taking over as regular starters.

Unless the whole Scott Allan thing is going to work out with him playing again..

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    My preferred midfield would be Newell sitting deep and Magennis being more energetic and forward thinking with runs into the box etc.

If Magennis can't stay fit then I'm not sure Campbell is the answer, at least short term, so the signing of an energetic offensive box to box player wouldn't go amiss. Especially if Gogic and Hallberg are on their way out.

Don't like JDH and Newell in the same midfield but think they are both good options for the deep playmaker role in a "number 6" position.

Hows Allan Campbell getting on at Luton?

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine&Caviar View Post
    Scored the other day I seen on SSN

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine&Caviar View Post
    I watched their game with Bournemouth last weekend. He seems to be a fan favourite.

Totally agree, I am not convinced by any of the central midfielders.

QUOTE=The Modfather;6825296]I think this is our weakest area, we rarely dominate the midfield whether we win or lose.

Magennis
    Gogic
    Allan
    Hallberg
    Campbell
    Newell
    JDH

We need to invest as much of the Boyle money into central midfielders that are athletic and can get from box to box, and as importantly have the desire to actually go box to box, particularly if we are to go with a two.[/QUOTE]

Someone that can make a forward pass would be a start! 😉