hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Dead wood

Dead wood

My god we have got some amount of dead wood in the squad.

Between now and the start of next season we must move on players who will NEVER be regular first team starters. Most of the list below have had their chance but been unable to take it. There would be so much scope to improve if we move on:

Gogic
    Wright
    Hallberg
    Scott
    Mackie
    Murphy

Love Scott Allan but he needs to move as does McGregor. Campbell is not ready for this level, he may well never be so needs loaned out and I've yet to be convinced of Doyle-Hayes.

If we could ship these out, 10 in total (almost a whole team) it gives Maloney room to build the squad he wants.

If by this time next year we are still 5th in the table and struggling to beat the likes of Cove Rangers, Ron will be wielding the axe again on the management.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If by this time next year we are still 5th in the table and struggling to beat the likes of Cove Rangers, Ron will be wielding the axe again on the management.
    Or it shows our recruitment is poor and he has to sack his own son

Certainly a few players should be moved on, we need a commanding midfielder

Between now and the start of next season we must move on players who will NEVER be regular first team starters. Most of the list below have had their chance but been unable to take it. There would be so much scope to improve if we move on:

Gogic
    Wright
    Hallberg
    Scott
    Mackie
    Murphy

Love Scott Allan but he needs to move as does McGregor. Campbell is not ready for this level, he may well never be so needs loaned out and I've yet to be convinced of Doyle-Hayes.

If we could ship these out, 10 in total (almost a whole team) it gives Maloney room to build the squad he wants.

You can’t move everyone on who wouldn’t be a regular starter otherwise we would have 11 players 😂.

Gogic
    Wright
    Hallberg
    Scott
    Mackie
    Murphy

I am seriously worried we’re about to repeat mistakes of the past and enter into another phase of high manager and player turnover which never leads to anything else but poor crowds and financial losses.

The blood lust of some of our fans for managers and players to be “emptied” at the drop of a hat seems to be growing. There’s no realism.

This is Hibs - even 15 years ago finishing 3rd and making 2 cup final is in a row would be almost dreamland. Now a few months later we need a mass clear-out. Our period of relative stability feels like it’s starting to crumble.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    I am seriously worried we’re about to repeat mistakes of the past and enter into another phase of high manager and player turnover which never leads to anything else but poor crowds and financial losses.

The blood lust of some of our fans for managers and players to be “emptied” at the drop of a hat seems to be growing. There’s no realism.

This is Hibs - even 15 years ago finishing 3rd and making 2 cup final is in a row would be almost dreamland. Now a few months later we need a mass clear-out. Our period of relative stability feels like it’s starting to crumble.
    We shouldnt be accepting mediocrity

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    We also shouldn’t blindly chase better when things get a bit rocky. There’s a middle ground.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Hallberg did nothing wrong tonight.

Mediocrity is exactly what we’ll get changing the manager every year and having a revolving door of players. In fact it’s been a lot worse than mediocre when we’ve done that.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Absolutely, it was nice seeing him back playing.

3rd and 2 cup finals simply is not mediocre. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by LunasBoots View Post
    Certainly a few players should be moved on, we need a commanding midfielder
    I was about to post the same. Doidge getting back to full fitness will be good and Magennis back in. When Magennis gets back we can use Campbell as cover.

Mackie
    Mcgregor
    Mackie
    Hallberg
    Murphy
    Gogic
    Allan
    Wright
    Scott

All could / should go

Hallberg is useful.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Gogic
    Wright
    Hallberg
    Scott
    Mackie
    Murphy

I think literally all the players you list here are out of contract at the end of the season, so I’m struggling to understand your point.

Unless we offer them a new contract, they will be moving on. So why make an issue of it?

FWIW, I’m no great fan of Hallberg but he did everything he was asked to tonight.

Campbell looked much better when he went deeper, did a fine job filling in at right back. I think we should forget him being some kind of no.10 and play him further back.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    3rd and 2 cup finals simply is not mediocre. Not even close.
    One 3rd place finish in 16 odd years is pretty poor considering we have fully Uefa compliant stadium and east mains at our disposal. The stage is set we just need to put a team on the park to go with it.

Mediocrity is exactly what we’ll get changing the manager every year and having a revolving door of players. In fact it’s been a lot worse than mediocre when we’ve done that.

I agree with you, a stable management team and core group of players is what we need. Unfortunately it’s not always within our control.

As I’ve said above, it’s a weird OP because they’ve singled out all the players coming to the end of their contracts. So the likelihood is most of them will move on at the end of the season anyhow. A few could go this month.

Until then, they’ve got to be ready to do a job if called upon.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    First game back after a long injury, playing in defence rather than his usual midfield role and I thought he was one of our better players.

Just a thought, but maybe we’re not going to change manager every year?

We’ve also got a number of players on long term deals, including some that we signed this month.

No really seeing where the revolving door stuff is coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Just a thought, but maybe we’re not going to change manager every year?

We’ve also got a number of players on long term deals, including some that we signed this month.

No really seeing where the revolving door stuff is coming from?
    Erm … I’m saying fans are advocating a revolving door of players not that it’s happening at the moment. Also that managers are being hounded so much quicker than before.

Really hope we won’t be changing manager for a long time but me and you know that the same people will be applying the pressure the next time we have a bad run. If you think they’re going to be super patient because SM is trying to implement a new style then the audible impatience of the few who turned up tonight should tell you otherwise.

I also think the people who run the club are well intentioned but likely to cave in easier - bums on seats and all that.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    We are light defensively and up front and overloaded with very ordinary midfield players many of whom are more or less clones of each other. As has been said many times already it’s a sad reflection of our poor recruitment .

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    We are light defensively and up front and overloaded with very ordinary midfield players many of whom are more or less clones of each other. As has been said many times already it’s a sad reflection of our poor recruitment .
    Are we light defensively?

Rocky
    Porto
    Hanlon
    Mcginn
    Stevenson
    Clarke
    Cadden
    Doig
    McGregor (out the picture it seems)

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Erm … I’m saying fans are advocating a revolving door of players not that it’s happening at the moment. Also that managers are being hounded so much quicker than before.

Really hope we won’t be changing manager for a long time but me and you know that the same people will be applying the pressure the next time we have a bad run. If you think they’re going to be super patient because SM is trying to implement a new style then the audible impatience of the few who turned up tonight should tell you otherwise.

I also think the people who run the club are well intentioned but likely to cave in easier - bums on seats and all that.
    You said “I am seriously worried we’re about to repeat mistakes of the past and enter into another phase of high manager and player turnover”

We got rid of JR because of a sackable run of form that we didn’t look like getting out of. If Maloney has a run like that, he’ll get the sack as well. It won’t be because folk are moaning, it’ll be because he’s not doing a very good job.

We’ve been dishing out long contracts to players, possibly some that aren’t even particularly deserved. We’ve got players coming out of contract in a few months, most of whom have hardly kicked a ball this year. If we can free their places in the squad up sooner that would be good. Don’t see anything to suggest there will be a revolving door anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post

We’ve brought in six this transfer window. We’re adapting to a new manager with a new system.

Let’s just give them a little time before chucking all the toys from the pram.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Are we light defensively?

Rocky
    Porto
    Hanlon
    Mcginn
    Stevenson
    Clarke
    Cadden
    Doig
    McGregor (out the picture it seems)

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Light because of a combination of suspensions, fitness and injuries, if everyone had been available tonight there would have been probably been a post about having too many defenders

Ron has made some big decisions in recent months, now he simply has to hold his nerve.

Our new manager was championed by our CEO. Maloney will have told them at interview about his philosophy and how he wants us to play, and it’s clearly a change from the previous manager.

Change can be difficult, but the club now need to back him and not get distracted by noise.

I quite like him but I don’t think he’s going to break in to our midfield if he’s wanting to play every week. When I read his name on the teamsheet earlier I did think maybe Maloney thinks it’s better to keep him as backup in the midfield and let Tait go and play regularly to the end of the season.

I must say I agree with most of the players mentioned in the OP going and can’t quite get my head round us keeping Scott on. He was decent at dens on his debut but has been very poor ever since and despite the assist tonight was very wasteful. If everyone is fit we’ve got good options in behind the striker with Mueller, Henderson, Magennis and Melkersen who can all play there so if we get a replacement for Boyle (I hope we do) then all of Scott, Murphy, Allan and Wright would be struggling to make the squad nevermind the team. Let Gogic go too and add a wingback and we’d be in a good position with squad size and competition for places.

Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    I quite like him but I don’t think he’s going to break in to our midfield if he’s wanting to play every week. When I read his name on the teamsheet earlier I did think maybe Maloney thinks it’s better to keep him as backup in the midfield and let Tait go and play regularly to the end of the season.

I must say I agree with most of the players mentioned in the OP going and can’t quite get my head round us keeping Scott on. He was decent at dens on his debut but has been very poor ever since and despite the assist tonight was very wasteful. If everyone is fit we’ve got good options in behind the striker with Mueller, Henderson, Magennis and Melkersen who can all play there so if we get a replacement for Boyle (I hope we do) then all of Scott, Murphy, Allan and Wright would be struggling to make the squad nevermind the team. Let Gogic go too and add a wingback and we’d be in a good position with squad size and competition for places.
    Hallberg like Campbell is an excellent squad player. Both for keeping. But I don’t expect either to be starting many games once the full squad is available

Hallberg did well as a makeshift player in that position tonight.

The midfield didn't exactly cover themselves in glory so he might get an opportunity to impress in his chosen position over the coming weeks. I've always quite liked him, the team seemed to be better with him in it that with him not in it and I thought he complemented some of our other midfielders better than other players.

It was a pretty strange situation tonight regarding centre halves. Not sure what's up with McGregor but you'd expect Rocky, Clarke, McGinn and Porteous to be amongst our first picks and we were without those 4. I'm not sure any club of our size should be attempting to be better covered than we are for being without 4 centre halves as it isn't going to happen very often.

I don't actually think we have much dead wood. I fancy a few of the squad players more than I fancy some of the regulars.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

Gogic
    Wright
    Hallberg
    Scott
    Mackie
    Murphy

In fairness Hallberg had a good game tonight for being out injured for so long. I'd keep him. The rest on the list can along with Newell and Doidge. The fact Scott Allan can't get a game against a lower league team in a cup match tells you he's probably going to be moved on.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.