hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Abuse

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No more grief for refs or managers then...
    Would be nice.

I don't see anything wrong in challenging the norms that it is okay to shout abuse at other people.

Can I ask the folk who have slated this thread why they think it is okay to hurl abuse at someone for not kicking a bit of leather the way they like it?

Do you hurl abuse in a restaurant when your meal isn't how you like it?

Do you hurl abuse at a co-workee when they don't complete a task properly?

Are you telling me you are incapable of creating atmosphere without hurling abuse?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee316 View Post
    Would be nice.

I don't see anything wrong in challenging the norms that it is okay to shout abuse at other people.

Can I ask the folk who have slated this thread why they think it is okay to hurl abuse at someone for not kicking a bit of leather the way they like it?

Do you hurl abuse in a restaurant when your meal isn't how you like it?

Do you hurl abuse at a co-workee when they don't complete a task properly?

Are you telling me you are incapable of creating atmosphere without hurling abuse?
    Hopefully no one is hurling abuse in those scenarios bit I can certainly see the difference in those settings to inside an atmospheric and sometimes volatile football stadium. I might not always agree with it but I don't think it's anyone else's place to tell another how they should show their emotions or displeasure in something they (and we all) ultimately want the best for.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Get behind the team as they try to negotiate a tricky cup tie?
    Ridiculous

Will never catch on

I bet you any money there were folk out there preparing the post-match rants for when we got beat.

There is a terrible atmosphere at ER and across most social media and its getting worse

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    Ridiculous

Will never catch on

I bet you any money there were folk out there preparing the post-match rants for when we got beat.

There is a terrible atmosphere at ER and across most social media and its getting worse
    Social media is a cesspit for football fans. It allows everyone one of us a a platform to be an unregulated pundit and everyone believes each statement they make is more important than anyone elses. This place would turn turn same way if it wasnt for the great job the mods do in policing it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post
    Hopefully no one is hurling abuse in those scenarios bit I can certainly see the difference in those settings to inside an atmospheric and sometimes volatile football stadium. I might not always agree with it but I don't think it's anyone else's place to tell another how they should show their emotions or displeasure in something they (and we all) ultimately want the best for.
    Does it happen in Basketball, Cricket, Rugby, Tennis, Ice Hockey etc.

It seems to be a football thing. But I've been to games in other countries where it doesn't seem to happen.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post

It seems to be a football thing. But I've been to games in other countries where it doesn't seem to happen.
    There's a reason it's a football thing and not a Rugby thing, pretty sure you don't need me to articulate it, so I won't incase the wee angry men get offended.

Testimonial Due

I'm sure it does happen on occasion in those sports yes.cant say for certain about Cricket or Tennis as I've never been to those but I've been to Madison Sq Gardens and the New Yorkers certainly get their point across with lovely colourful language.

Internatuonal Rugby may be more sanitised I suppose, I came away feeling I'd been at a wedding reception or Hogmanay party as opposed to a sporting event the one and only time I've been to Murrayfield.
    Last edited by MikeyS; 21-01-2022 at 11:28 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    I might not always agree with it but I don't think it's anyone else's place to tell another how they should show their emotions or displeasure in something they (and we all) ultimately want the best for.
    Work places can be incredibly tense, but even in the most stressful meetings if someone started shouting horrible stuff at you at the top of their lungs, plenty people would tell them to calm it.

Why is the football different?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee316 View Post
    Work places can be incredibly tense, but even in the most stressful meetings if someone started shouting horrible stuff at you at the top of their lungs, plenty people would tell them to calm it.

Why is the football different?
    Well it's completely non comparable for a start. How Many work places charge the general public to come in to watch the meetings??

I may be way off the point here and I apologise if I'm picking you up incorrectly but are you advocating that supporters just come in and can only show emotions of a positive nature? We're you perfectly calm during or after the 5-1 Cup Final for example, so that you didn't further upset the players performances on that day?

Maybe I'm just lucky but in recent times I always seem to end up areas where there is very little in the way of vitriolic abuse aimed directly at players. Only time I really recall it happening of late was in one of my rare forays into the West Upper and even then it was a handful of people.

There was a lot of general moaning last night but, certainly in my locality, very little real personal abuse. As I said on the other thread when Maloney came over to the fans at FT he got a fantastic reception from those of us exiting the East. The more general booing at HT and FT and the like is hardly a new thing. I have been a regular at ER for over 30 years now and it was well established when I 1st started going. Some of my earliest memories supporting Hibs are of abuse far worse than anything I hear now, when you read Joe Tortolano saying he remembers being booed (and worse) before a games even started then it would seem we have actually mellowed a bit as a support over the years. I've always thought of the generic boo when you are losing at HT as pantomime stuff, probably not all that helpful but it happens at every ground in the country and beyond.

I wasn't much of a supporter last night. I'm not one for really getting all angry at any time but neither am I one for leading the singing and last night was no exception. It was cold, the game wasn't great and I sat with my hands in my pockets for most of the 120 minutes waiting to go home. There were a few frustrated sighs and a bit of head shaking and obviously a cheer when we scored but that was your lot from me. People directly abusing players in a really horrible manner need to have a look at themselves. However if football became a consumer product that was reminiscent of sitting at the theatre then I'd lose the little remaining interest I have in the game. The tribalism and the emotive nature of it is what keeps me interested, for me and many others when it comes to Hibs it is very much more than a game. That is probably at the root of a lot of the frustration you heard coming from the stands last night.

I'll probably get grief for this but it's far easier to be judgmental about the behaviour of others and be less harsh about the performance of the team when you are sitting in the warm with a beer or a coffee, other distractions to keep you amused and an ability to jump straight into bed when the FT whistle went. No one has to justify their non attendance but there has to be an acknowledgment that a game looks and feels completely different depending on the circumstances of how you are watching it. For the minority in attendance it was far from a pleasant experience for a variety of reasons.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Maybe I'm just lucky but in recent times I always seem to end up areas where there is very little in the way of vitriolic abuse aimed directly at players. Only time I really recall it happening of late was in one of my rare forays into the West Upper and even then it was a handful of people.

There was a lot of general moaning last night but, certainly in my locality, very little real personal abuse. As I said on the other thread when Maloney came over to the fans at FT he got a fantastic reception from those of us exiting the East. The more general booing at HT and FT and the like is hardly a new thing. I have been a regular at ER for over 30 years now and it was well established when I 1st started going. Some of my earliest memories supporting Hibs are of abuse far worse than anything I hear now, when you read Joe Tortolano saying he remembers being booed (and worse) before a games even started then it would seem we have actually mellowed a bit as a support over the years. I've always thought of the generic boo when you are losing at HT as pantomime stuff, probably not all that helpful but it happens at every ground in the country and beyond.

I wasn't much of a supporter last night. I'm not one for really getting all angry at any time but neither am I one for leading the singing and last night was no exception. It was cold, the game wasn't great and I sat with my hands in my pockets for most of the 120 minutes waiting to go home. There were a few frustrated sighs and a bit of head shaking and obviously a cheer when we scored but that was your lot from me. People directly abusing players in a really horrible manner need to have a look at themselves. However if football became a consumer product that was reminiscent of sitting at the theatre then I'd lose the little remaining interest I have in the game. The tribalism and the emotive nature of it is what keeps me interested, for me and many others when it comes to Hibs it is very much more than a game. That is probably at the root of a lot of the frustration you heard coming from the stands last night.

I'll probably get grief for this but it's far easier to be judgmental about the behaviour of others and be less harsh about the performance of the team when you are sitting in the warm with a beer or a coffee, other distractions to keep you amused and an ability to jump straight into bed when the FT whistle went. No one has to justify their non attendance but there has to be an acknowledgment that a game looks and feels completely different depending on the circumstances of how you are watching it. For the minority in attendance it was far from a pleasant experience for a variety of reasons.
    Top post PB, very well put. Particularly the part about the theatre comparison. If it came to that I'd just be an armchair fan too I reckon.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

What a really sensible post, well said.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Do you think he doesn't know he's shanked it like?

That you need to scream at him to let him know it's gone out?

What does screaming abuse achieve other than making you feel like a big man?
    It also achieves at adding a bit more tension on the players that hear it so making it more likely that more mistakes can happen.

Heck, even the 'wonderful' Terry Butcher when at ICT said their main game plan when coming down here was to get the fans frustrated as that impacted the Hibs players and lifted his own.. made it a great leveller he said.

@hibs.net private member
    Well it's completely non comparable for a start. How Many work places charge the general public to come in to watch the meetings??

I may be way off the point here and I apologise if I'm picking you up incorrectly but are you advocating that supporters just come in and can only show emotions of a positive nature? We're you perfectly calm during or after the 5-1 Cup Final for example, so that you didn't further upset the players performances on that day?
    Emotions are heightened at the football obviously, and I don't think there can be any firm rules on what is or isn't acceptable.

Of course folk are going to shout stuff at a match and vent their displeasure.

I'm talking about specific continued abuse of individual players which seem to start before a player has even kicked a ball.
    The guys around me looked like they had lost the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Aye, It's the fans fault again for another awful performance.

The standards at Hibs need to rise. The acceptance of mediocrity is a reason why we'll always get that, until a better mentality is installed at the club.
    Do you actually believe this rubbish?

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'll do a grump and moan if there a mistake or crap play.... I keep my venting, shouting, booing and even the odd sweary word (sorry!) for the other team, their fans and the ref/linesman though.

After that I'm perfectly chilled, maybe the few pints helps

I tend to groan at the game when a player does something stupid, or we're playing poorly, but have never seen the point of consciously abusing our players or booing.

Yes, it's an 'atmosphere', but it's not one that's going to encourage the team

I assume that those who want to yell abuse at players for 90 minutes would be fine with their own bosses/customers/passers by treating them like that at work?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Is this acceptable?

https://twitter.com/days_scottish/status/1485001592311103494?t=1EzWMOah99bvcbCFXKEpgQ&s=19

Football fans are full of passion, desperate to see their team and their players flourish and succeed, frustrations are inevitable

for me though, there’s a sliding scale of how that comes out. Shouting ‘aww ffs’ at a mistake, or commenting that so-and-so is playing rubbish to your mate, isn't close to screaming dogs abuse at individuals, or telling them eff off, and I’ve yet to see anyone get better from being treated that way.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    Quote Originally Posted by The dalmeny View Post
    Some of them have short memories after what they’ve done in cups recently but there’s plenty supportive supporters in that shot too.

Well done to Liam Craig for making sure they all got in without anything else kicking off.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Football fans are full of passion, desperate to see their team and their players flourish and succeed, frustrations are inevitable

for me though, there’s a sliding scale of how that comes out. Shouting ‘aww ffs’ at a mistake, or commenting that so-and-so is playing rubbish to your mate, isn't close to screaming dogs abuse at individuals, or telling them eff off, and I’ve yet to see anyone get better from being treated that way.

I understand the emotions with football and we all invest a lot into the fortunes of the team, taking wins and losses personally and you can see how people lose their rag to a degree, but the vast majority of us are able to control ourselves and know that abusing players isn’t really doing anyone any good.

I never understand, though, how people can have such an intense dislike for people they are there to SUPPORT. The players are on our side, there’s not one of them goes onto the pitch looking to let us down or make mistakes. Get behind them, don’t bring them down.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Some folks can be told and reminded of the negative impact and yet still persist.

We often hear about confidence players. I’m surprised there has not been studies to illustrate to those maintaing their stance despite it all of the absolute error of their ways.

One direct example which fell of deaf ears was Yogis please regarding Nish (one of the highest scorers in the SP(F)L at the time.

Maybe if the persistent so-called Boo-boys looked at why they vent their spleens in that matter they might give it further consideration what’s at the root of it for them as clearly the impact it has on others is seemingly lost on them.
    (not just the players, but their families but other fellow supporters including kids wondering what the heck is going on).
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.