hibs.net Messageboard

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

Devin Gordon - RIP

I posted this on the private forum last night as it hadn't been widely publicised, but I notice Hibs have tweeted about it today.

Sadly, a young Hearts fan (13 year old, Devin Gordon) lost his life in Bathgate yesterday after being struck by a train just next to the Tesco.

As someone who lives with my own mental health challenges, I can't begin to fathom just how difficult a period young Devin must have been enduring to decide to take his own life. I was a pupil at Bathgate Academy, walked that railway-adjacent path each day to Tesco for lunch, so it genuinely chills my blood to hear this news (especially now as a parent).

An absolutely tragic story and loss for all involved. I note some Hearts fans trying to organise a minute's applause in the 13th minute of their next home game, which is a really nice gesture.

Rest in power, wee man.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Horrible news - I seen it earlier today as Deeks shared it on his Instagram story.

RIP and sincere condolences to his loved ones. Just a brutal piece of news.

First Team Regular NthCarolinaHibs's Avatar
    Very sad indeed...RIP Devin

It's incredibly sad and Its very upsetting, especially as he lives a stones throw away from me.

Every chance I word this wrongly, because I'm very annoyed about it.

But his friends asking people to do a minutes applause and sharing it all over social media within hours of it happening is a disgrace.

his gran mentioned that half of the family had found out about it from hearts mentioning it on their twitter.

Why are people so acting like they are compassionate when in fact what they've actually done is make something way worse for a grieving family. This in addition to people nearby sharing his name on Facebook again within hours when his family haven't even said anything is f'n disgusting.
    Last edited by Onceinawhile; 20-01-2022 at 08:27 PM.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's incredibly sad and Its very upsetting, especially as he lives a stones throw away from me.

But his friends asking people to do a minutes applause and sharing it all over social media within hours of it happening is a disgrace.

My wife went round to drop off some cans of juice and sweets for his wee brother nd sister and his gran mentioned that half of the family had found out about it from hearts mentioning it on their twitter.

Why are people so acting like they are compassionate when in fact what they've actually done is make something way worse for a grieving family. This in addition to people nearby sharing his name on Facebook again within hours when his family haven't even said anything is f'n disgusting.

I hear you.

It’s like public displays of emotion now are more important - being first to broadcast this awful news makes you, what, a better person?!

A terrible tragedy, thoughts are with the family and people really should respect their wishes.

EDIT: not to be partisan about this, but Hearts should be apologising here.
    Last edited by jacomo; 20-01-2022 at 04:31 PM.

Gamer IDs

My wife went round to drop off some cans of juice and sweets for his wee brother nd sister and his gran mentioned that half of the family had found out about it from hearts mentioning it on their twitter.

I can understand all of that - I was hesitant to post it so quickly after hearing the news last night and wanted to wait until it was 'public', so to speak.

Horrendous finding out something so horrible via social media - that's absolutely galling.

My heart breaks for the family and what they'll now be dealing with - I'm so sorry Devin didn't get the help he needed, when he needed it.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Seen a few people posting on facebook earlier about it as im also from bathgate. Cant imagine how the family are feeling just now. Poor wee lad

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I can understand all of that - I was hesitant to post it so quickly after hearing the news last night and wanted to wait until it was 'public', so to speak.

Horrendous finding out something so horrible via social media - that's absolutely galling.

My heart breaks for the family and what they'll now be dealing with - I'm so sorry Devin didn't get the help he needed, when he needed it.
    I'm not having a go at you - it's the people involved in the minutes applause and my neighbours putting it on Facebook naming him and somehow making it all about them that really, really grinds my gears.

Big questions to be asked of bathgate academy about this. Anyway, I'm not going to comment further as it's not really what this thread is about and I don't wish to turn it into something it shouldn't be.

Coaching Staff

Utterly tragic and sorry that you and your family have been so affected by it. Lovely touch from your wife too.

As for social media, that's today's world we live in when news is so 'instant'. I'm sure that those that posted things meant well and it was with the best of intentions.

Such a sad thing to hear happening to a child so young. Thoughts are with his family and friends and those at Hearts that knew him. Truly awful and puts life firmly into perspective.

Truly tragic.

There's nothing you can really say when something like this happens.

Tbh I can understand his mates trying to organise a minutes applause and the like. They'll be trying to make sense of it all too. When someone close passes away there's often that feeling of having to do 'something' and young lads do everything on social media now. If they have caused any hurt I'm sure it was unintentional albeit that will be of little comfort to a family member who found out in such a way.

RIP to the lad. Such a sin he didn't get the help he needed.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Horrible news. RIP Devin

Gamer IDs

I'm not having a go at you - it's the people involved in the minutes applause and my neighbours putting it on Facebook naming him and somehow making it all about them that really, really grinds my gears.

Big questions to be asked of bathgate academy about this. Anyway, I'm not going to comment further as it's not really what this thread is about and I don't wish to turn it into something it shouldn't be.
    Oh, I didn’t think you were. Sorry if my reply came across that way.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I hear you.

It’s like public displays of emotion now are more important - being first to broadcast this awful news makes you, what, a better person?!

A terrible tragedy, thoughts are with the family and people really should respect their wishes.

EDIT: not to be partisan about this, but Hearts should be apologising here.
    Agree totally

First Team Breakthrough
    Such tragic news, RIP lad.

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Tragic. Condolences to family.

Left by mutual consent!
    Sad as anything to read. What a waste of a young persons life.

Shocking this stuff can happen.

Rest easy the wee laddie.

So so sad!

RIP wee man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Tragic

Deepest sincerest condolences to family and friends

RIP

Awful news. They say a permanent solution to a temporary problem, however it's often far more complex than that.

My thoughts are with his family and friends and I hope he's at peace.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk