hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Ross

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We'll soon find out what JR is made off when he takes over at St Johnstone soon.
    Is it 10 defeats on the bounce now?

The last minute loss of Kerr was an absolute shambles from the owner, probably why he feels he can't sack Davidson.

I think they'll recover with a couple of signings and injuries clearing up, and I hope they give Davidson that opportunity.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Yes, from the things people throw at Ross “no plan B” or not effecting games can’t really be one - he often tried to make changes to effect games . Last season in particular, off the top of my head, I think we had a decent track record of winning points from losing positions …
    I think we only won once from a losing position last season, although having said that we did win a lot of games from a winning position. Could be that folk find that boring though and prefer a manager getting it wrong initially, shouting a lot, actively changing things and then winning.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Is it 10 defeats on the bounce now?

The last minute loss of Kerr was an absolute shambles from the owner, probably why he feels he can't sack Davidson.

I think they'll recover with a couple of signings and injuries clearing up, and I hope they give Davidson that opportunity.
    They lost 2 players at the last minute and it's destroyed them. It's a results business though and having been pumped by the part timers at the weekend in their feeble attempt at retaining the cup he can't be far away from the boot - especially given the quality of football they play (even when they had the 2 mentioned)..

He should've jumped when his stock was high.

Yes, from the things people throw at Ross “no plan B” or not effecting games can’t really be one - he often tried to make changes to effect games . Last season in particular, off the top of my head, I think we had a decent track record of winning points from losing positions …
    Like the cup final?

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Gnome View Post
    Could probably add Motherwell on the first day of the season to that.
    Apart from the semi final against Rangers, possibly our best, at least 2nd half, performance of the season

We'll soon find out what JR is made off when he takes over at St Johnstone soon.
    Or Dundee. Basically whoever loses.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Apart from the semi final against Rangers, possibly our best, at least 2nd half, performance of the season
    St Johnstone away was a really good performance in coming from a losing position after the manager changed a few things.

Was he not travelling from home somewhere in the NE of England to East Mains?
    If that is right I can't imagine he'd be that keen on negotiating Sherrifhall roundabout, the bypass and the Forth Road Bridge there and back most days.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Was he not travelling from home somewhere in the NE of England to East Mains?
    If that is right I can't imagine he'd be that keen on negotiating Sherrifhall roundabout, the bypass and the Forth Road Bridge there and back most days.
    Depends how desperate he is to get back in.

He could easily do Monday morning - back Tuesday night (Wednesday's the day off isn't it?). Back Thursday morning and home after the match. 3 nights away and 4 nights in his own bed.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    St Johnstone away was a really good performance in coming from a losing position after the manager changed a few things.
    It was, but was against 10 men

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    It was, but was against 10 men
    Still counts. The performance vs 11 was very good as well.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    There you go, and to think some people said there was a lack of clarity about his involvement

I think the problem here is how it’s been communicated. Instead of it being announced that Ron Gordon had bought the club, they should have said the Gordon family had bought it with Ron overseeing everything while another family member would be more involved in the day to day running of the club.

To wait this long and sort of sneak him in the back door was always likely to look a bit shady.
    Ian Gordon had been on that list for ages as head of recruitment, going back to last autumn.

@hibs.net private member
    Depends how desperate he is to get back in.

He could easily do Monday morning - back Tuesday night (Wednesday's the day off isn't it?). Back Thursday morning and home after the match. 3 nights away and 4 nights in his own bed.
    I don’t think it would be a good move for him . If he fancies going abroad - now would be the time for him to do it …

The right or wrong to sack him conversation will rumble on for years. Especially if (god forbid) Maloney doesn't do well. Ross's record stands up well against any Hibs manager. Steadied a sinking ship then took us to 3rd in his first full season. Nothinig lower than cup semi finals including two back to back finals one of which he didnt get the opportunity to manage in. The flip side of the argument is who he lost the three Hampden games against. Funnily enough though, St Johnstone put out the invinsible Rangers side at Ibrox but nobody really mentions that. They we're a phenomenon in knockout games last season.

I'm still a bit gutted by his sacking even though i reluctantly realised he had to go after Livingston. It's such a strange one. It's a results driven buisness and we were really awfull that night. It's one that has really had me torn more than any other manager being given the sack so i totally get both sides of the arguement. Onwards and upwards though.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    The right or wrong to sack him conversation will rumble on for years. Especially if (god forbid) Maloney doesn't do well. Ross's record stands up well against any Hibs manager. Steadied a sinking ship then took us to 3rd in his first full season. Nothinig lower than cup semi finals including two back to back finals one of which he didnt get the opportunity to manage in. The flip side of the argument is who he lost the three Hampden games against. Funnily enough though, St Johnstone put out the invinsible Rangers side at Ibrox but nobody really mentions that. They we're a phenomenon in knockout games last season.

I'm still a bit gutted by his sacking even though i reluctantly realised he had to go after Livingston. It's such a strange one. It's a results driven buisness and we were really awfull that night. It's one that has really had me torn more than any other manager being given the sack so i totally get both sides of the arguement. Onwards and upwards though.
    I too was gutted when JR was booted , but I’ve moved on now . He is now part of our history, not our future. The run of results that led up to it gave anyone the reason they wanted, to justify sacking him .

Despite my reservations , Maloney seems a talent . Will make mistakes, as all new managers do .Hope he gets it right overall as we can’t afford to go backwards . He deserves our full support now . He will have mine .

Left by mutual consent!
    In the cold light of day I'm disappointed he isn't our manager still. I think we'll regret getting rid. He's gone though so fully behind the new one.
    How can we regret getting rid?
    Unless you see us getting dragged into a relegation battle under SM?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Jack Ross left a side with Martin Boyle, Scott Allan, Jamie Murphy and Chris muller joining. It's rubbish to say he had a side bereft of creativity.

His teams were absolutely not abject to watch when winning. His teams was good for the most part, especially away from home. If Maloney gets our away record and performances up there with Ross he'll likely be doing a very good job too.

Ross had an awful run. At our worst we still were in a cup final. Before that run he was doing a very good job.
    I think one of the problems was our very poor home form which is so important as that's where most fans see us.
    Mind you JR was not the only manager to fail in that respect.
    Not convinced it's a great Hearts team but in the last few months they have made it tough for visiting teams at Tynecastle.

Left by mutual consent!
    After they went down to 10 men?

I too was gutted when JR was booted , but I’ve moved on now . He is now part of our history, not our future. The run of results that led up to it gave anyone the reason they wanted, to justify sacking him .

Despite my reservations , Maloney seems a talent . Will make mistakes, as all new managers do .Hope he gets it right overall as we can’t afford to go backwards . He deserves our full support now . He will have mine .
    100%

His plan B resorted to throwing Scott Allan or Jamie Murphy on, they bailed him out a couple times granted but it’s not very sustainable

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGray View Post
    His plan B resorted to throwing Scott Allan or Jamie Murphy on, they bailed him out a couple times granted but it’s not very sustainable
    You don’t really think substitutions are the only way of changing your approach and tactics do you ?

You don’t really think substitutions are the only way of changing your approach and tactics do you ?
    Course not, just think you’re giving him way too much credit for his ability to change a game. Maybe turned it around in some but there was many other’s he couldn’t or didn’t. Particularly big games

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Or Dundee. Basically whoever loses.
    St J would be a good move for him, Dundee not so much.

They’re a bampot of a club just now, I can’t see JR being interested. Tommy Wright maybe, or another ex-player that wants to pretend they’re a manager.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGray View Post
    Course not, just think you’re giving him way too much credit for his ability to change a game. Maybe turned it around in some but there was many other’s he couldn’t or didn’t. Particularly big games
    You're expecting far too much from managers.

It's not easy to change a game to get a positive effect. We set up to attack the opponents weaknesses and defend against their strengths. Those things don't just helpfully go away because we alter our set up.

If we're still in the game, and we believe in the game plan, sticking to it is the right thing to do. The usual alternative is to throw caution to the wind and go hell for leather for a goal, that sometimes works, but not often, and it's hugely risky.

You also need the personnel to change an approach and we aren't blessed with a massively talented second team.

Claiming that the manager couldn't change things is a lazy cliché which could be leveled against every manager who ever lost a game.

Being reported that Queens Park trying to tempt Jack Ross with a big offer. Potter already there of course.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    Being reported that Queens Park trying to tempt Jack Ross with a big offer. Potter already there of course.
    The Leanne effect.

The Queen’s Park job would be a real gamble for Jack. If it doesn’t work out he’s got nowhere left to go. They are a Div 1 club. Failure there a d he’s basically finished in top flight football. I’ll be very surprised if he takes it.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    The Queen’s Park job would be a real gamble for Jack. If it doesn’t work out he’s got nowhere left to go. They are a Div 1 club. Failure there a d he’s basically finished in top flight football. I’ll be very surprised if he takes it.
    Even doing moderately well with a League 1 club, with some substantial financial backing from Willie Haughey, wouldn't necessarily turn the heads of clubs at the level he probably still sees himself at. Very risky, when I'd imagine he'll not be in a position where he has to take the first thing that comes along.

A project at Queens Park on a good sarlary might be more tempting than a St Johnstone or Dundee. QP have some serious ambition and he knows Dempster well.

A project at Queens Park on a good sarlary might be more tempting than a St Johnstone or Dundee. QP have some serious ambition.
    Problem with QP is getting them promoted out of League 1 with their money won't really be seen as a success at all and to get them out the Championship would be very difficult.

I'd be very surprised if JR ends up there.