hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is the style? I really didn't see any particular way we were playing. It certainly wasn't exciting or interesting.
    Think it’s fairly obvious that he wants to play a possession based game. Don’t think anybody would argue it’s been particularly exciting, or even that we’re playing it particularly well. Was more apparent in his first two games than the last two, where there were loads of changes, but do think there’s a clear style he’s trying to get across.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I don’t disagree with anything he’s said there. Just the previous point that there isn’t an obvious style. I think there is but I just don’t think we’ve executed it very well in the two games this week. We might not until the players change but Hopefully the team will settle a bit over the next few weeks as well.
    I fully accept that I could be wrong, but I don't know what style we were trying to play.

To me, it didn't look any different to how we've been playing for months.

So what did I miss?

I fully accept that I could be wrong, but I don't know what style we were trying to play.

To me, it didn't look any different to how we've been playing for months.

So what did I miss?
    I don’t think we played well in either game this week but major change, for me, is that there are far less aimless punts up the park to the striker. Cadden and Doig playing much higher up the park on either side of that four as well, probably had as many efforts on goal between them in the four games as they had in the rest of the season. We’re also playing a different shape to we were under Ross.

It's early days but the performances at Celtic Park and against Cove were no better (and in the case of the Cove probably worse) than we played under Ross.

@hibs.net private member
    I don’t think we played well in either game this week but major change, for me, is that there are far less aimless punts up the park to the striker. Cadden and Doig playing much higher up the park on either side of that four as well, probably had as many efforts on goal between them in the four games as they had in the rest of the season. We’re also playing a different shape to we were under Ross.
    Good points. I would add that the whole thing needs to be speeded up and much more crisp and decisive for it to be effective. The number of times players received the ball but then had to look for options in the last two games ha been painful to watch.

We're possibly getting our wires crossed here.

I agree there were some changes in our set up, but unlike when Mowbray came in and we could immediately see how different our approach to the game was, it's like they don't know what they're supposed to be doing when they've got the ball.

That could be as much to do with the personnel or their ability, but I do hope it gets better. I'm confident that it will... I think!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

It's pretty clear the players are trying to implement the managers instructions with almost every pass and movement to make themselves available etc and it's paralysed and stifled us to a large extent.

Once he gets the balance with this I'm confident we'll see an improvement. Results wise it has been a good start. Will be interested to see how our goals for and against columns stack up in the league under Maloney.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Good points. I would add that the whole thing needs to be speeded up and much more crisp and decisive for it to be effective. The number of times players received the ball but then had to look for options in the last two games ha been painful to watch.
    Ordinary players receive the ball and then try and work out what to do with it.

Better players already know what they are going to do with the ball before they receive it.

At Belgium, Shaun was accustomed to coaching the latter. Now he’s trying to get the same outcome with the former.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post

Better players already know what they are going to do with the ball before they receive it.

At Belgium, Shaun was accustomed to coaching the latter. Now he’s trying to get the same outcome with the former.
    What did Shaun do when he wasn’t ‘at Belgium’ do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post

It will be an ongoing development, some players will adapt, I suspect that the new signings have. Even signed and they can play this way and others will follow over the next few windows and those that can't adapt will leave.

Could be some very exciting times watching this team grow into it

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    That Sunderland have done anything but move forward without him. That’s what I make of it.

It remains to be seen what will happen with us; maloney has started well, I was impressed with the game against Dundee United but tonight was very very hard work.

Sunderland went backwards when Ross left them but they are doing better now.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Seemingly fell out with Ron a couple of months earlier, hence why there was no qualms about sacking him when he did.

Seems to be a strong rumour on this,if so,explains much ,added to the dreadful form ,he was never going to be anything other than ,out the door.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    We're possibly getting our wires crossed here.

I agree there were some changes in our set up, but unlike when Mowbray came in and we could immediately see how different our approach to the game was, it's like they don't know what they're supposed to be doing when they've got the ball.

That could be as much to do with the personnel or their ability, but I do hope it gets better. I'm confident that it will... I think!
    I thought the differences were more noticeable in the initial stages of the Aberdeen game and away to Motherwell. Monday and Thurdsay games if you’d told me Jack Ross was back in the dugout I’d have believed it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I thought the differences were more noticeable in the initial stages of the Aberdeen game and away to Motherwell. Monday and Thurdsay games if you’d told me Jack Ross was back in the dugout I’d have believed it.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Winning and losing quickly become habits. Ross experienced both albeit the losing one was considerably shorter than the winning one. Very good start for Maloney. The style thing doesn't really bother me I'm more interested in wins. 1-0 hoofball or not I couldn't care less. I know others feel differently. Ron has set the benchmark though so Maloney will know a bad spell won't be tolerated. Dangerous road to go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Winning and losing quickly become habits. Ross experienced both albeit the losing one was considerably shorter than the winning one. Very good start for Maloney. The style thing doesn't really bother me I'm more interested in wins. 1-0 hoofball of or not I couldn't care less. O know others feel differently. Ron has set the benchmark though so Maloney will know a bad spell won't be tolerated. Dangerous road to go down.
    A bad spell will be tolerated. If it goes on for too long and it comes to a point that it doesn’t look like it’s turning, that’s what won’t be tolerated.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    It's early days but the performances at Celtic Park and against Cove were no better (and in the case of the Cove probably worse) than we played under Ross.

Performances while not great were much better than Hibs 0 Dundee Utd 3 back in October and a few others this season.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I wonder where it all go wrong for Jack at Hibs. Were we not top of the League at the end of August

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Completely different styles of play those 2 games as poor as they were at times was nothing like a JR side. Actually think JR side would have done better these 2 games with a settled structure and understanding of how to play. It’s a long term build though there will be bumps in the road we have to accept that.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I wonder where it all go wrong for Jack at Hibs. Were we not top of the League at the end of August
    We were top as we went 1-0 up at Ibrox at the start of October.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Porteous red card at Ibrox and Magennis injury.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Porteous red card at Ibrox and Magennis injury.
    That's when the poor run started. However there's 4 results he didn't recover from / was never forgiven for (Hearts twice and St Johnstone twice). We even had folk on here downplaying finishing 3rd and giving credit to everyone else rather than us for it. Then they moved onto waiting to see how we started the season, performed in the first derby, wanting to see how the big game record improved etc.

After those 4 games though it was just a matter of time until the minority became bigger and more vocal.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    It will be an ongoing development, some players will adapt, I suspect that the new signings have. Even signed and they can play this way and others will follow over the next few windows and those that can't adapt will leave.

Could be some very exciting times watching this team grow into it
    I’m hoping so. Quick thinking, quick moving footballers.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    That's when the poor run started. However there's 4 results he didn't recover from / was never forgiven for (Hearts twice and St Johnstone twice). We even had folk on here downplaying finishing 3rd and giving credit to everyone else rather than us for it. Then they moved onto waiting to see how we started the season, performed in the first derby, wanting to see how the big game record improved etc.

After those 4 games though it was just a matter of time until the minority became bigger and more vocal.
    I think most of that is fair.

There were other factors for me that have been well covered elsewhere but I don’t think he ever really recovered from those results.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I think most of that is fair.

There were other factors for me that have been well covered elsewhere but I don’t think he ever really recovered from those results.
    As you know I think the "boring" football stuff was overplayed but we do need to move on and support the new guy without all this constant bitching. Until we have another poor run obvs.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    Tbf we could have said the same thing before the semi about Rangers too.

I would probably agree with your point about Maloney as well. My feeling is that SDG, understandably as he was only temp manager, was reluctant to, or unsure of, making changes when they were needed in the game. One of Ross' strengthes was making changes which swung a game
    Can you give me some examples of when Jack Ross made changes that won us the game?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGray View Post
    Can you give me some examples of when Jack Ross made changes that won us the game?
    St johnstone away

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    St johnstone away
    Could probably add Motherwell on the first day of the season to that.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Gnome View Post
    Could probably add Motherwell on the first day of the season to that.
    Yes, from the things people throw at Ross “no plan B” or not effecting games can’t really be one - he often tried to make changes to effect games . Last season in particular, off the top of my head, I think we had a decent track record of winning points from losing positions …

We'll soon find out what JR is made off when he takes over at St Johnstone soon.