hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Ross

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But one player change and a new manager and we completely dominated them by simply passing the ball to a team mate instead of humping it long and at their patch.
    4 changes from us to the previous game, Ports, Campbell, Lewie and Drey Wright all started. 4 from United as well. Plus United's form nosedived a couple weeks after the Easter Road tie and still hasn't recovered.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    4 changes from us to the previous game, Ports, Campbell, Lewie and Drey Wright all started. 4 from United as well. Plus United's form nosedived a couple weeks after the Easter Road tie and still hasn't recovered.
    Think they've lost 6 in a row now. Courts' continual clichés must now be sounding empty.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    So basically focus on the good times and forget the miserable run he was on and how the fans were dwindling away and also calling for his head.

Sorry but it was good (results) first 16 months. After that it was always a case of defending the players and being too one dimensional.

Will be a good appointment for a st Johnstone etc but his football wasn’t pleasing on the eye. We were warned by Sunderland fans and that came true eventually.
    You say fans were dwindling away, how many fans that that were staying away because of Ross will be heading along tonight?

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    You say fans were dwindling away, how many fans that that were staying away because of Ross will be heading along tonight?
    Daft post, early round cup game against Cove on a Thursday night on council telly.

We’re surely no pretending the dwindling attendances had nothing to do with Jack Ross? Absolutely NOT everything to do with him, but it played a part.

Will take time to get those people back. Do well, they’ll start to come back, don’t and they won’t. Will be interesting to see if there is a better turnout of season ticket holders next Saturday.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    We’re surely no pretending the dwindling attendances had nothing to do with Jack Ross? Absolutely NOT everything to do with him, but it played a part.

Will take time to get those people back. Do well, they’ll start to come back, don’t and they won’t. Will be interesting to see if there is a better turnout of season ticket holders next Saturday.
    We’ll see how much of an affect he was having in the future games, but tonight will be the second home game since he left that will see empty stands. I think the fact that season ticket holders can watch on tv was the main reason they weren’t attending.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    The problem is that once someone gets out of a habit, it's very difficult to get them back into the habit.

If anything, your post adds weight on why it was time for Ross to go before he potentially did long term damage to attendances.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Daft post, early round cup game against Cove on a Thursday night on council telly.
    Yes those are reasons the crowd may not be that large, however if Ross was still here you can guarantee that the low crowd would be used as evidence he was the reason.

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    I am.

I was bored watching a JR team, found excuses on a Saturday not to go.
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp00 View Post
    Do we know what his role is yet ? He seems to be hanging around the club however from what I’ve seen I’m not sure of his role

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Personally I’m glad that his son is heavily involved. If RG were to die or become incapacitated then it is a possibility his family would sell us or act in their own interests.

If Ian is involved and that scenario occurs then he is more likely to carry on his father’s wishes/desire.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Jack Ross doing a lot of talking for a head coach who couldn’t get his team up for a Scottish Cup final against St.Johnstone

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I really do think that Jack needs to do a bit more self reflecting.

Got Sunderland to a cup final (the Checkatrade trophy or whatever it's called) but lost to Portsmouth. Got them close to promotion but didn't quite manage to pull it off. Fans complaining of dull football that was over-cautious. Rumours of a bit of a falling out with a couple of figures there. Some great results but some absolute howlers of results. That combined eventually cost him his job.

Came to Hibs. Got us third in the league - and you know, fair play. I think that's a really good achievement. Got us to two cup semi finals and was in charge for one cup final, didn't pull it off. Fans complaining of dull football that was over-cautious. Rumours of a bit of a falling out with a figure or so. Some great results but also quite a few absolute howlers of results. Falling attendances. That combined eventually cost him his job.

It may be been fairly brutal the way he was punted but it's a fairly brutal sport. There are things he could change and I think that if he had done so successfully may have still seen him in charge of Hibs.

It's cruel, but it's a cruel sport in a cruel world.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    The guy should have been sacked after losing the Scottish Cup Final to an inferior team, three times we couldn’t even score against that mob and he set the team up to lose in the final, playing exactly the same way as they had in the previous two fixtures, tactically inept, and his record in the bigger games was utterly woeful, a serial loser who we are better off without.
    100% spot on .Played the same formation against St Johnstone in the final as he had done previously loosing most of the games Add the Scottish Cup semi final defeat to a lower league team just off furlough and the League Cup semi final drubbing by St Johnstone as well.
    I thought when he came in it was a good move but some doubts appeared when the drunken german set up a team to beat us fairly easy 3-1 at Easter Road just before lockdown.
    Got some good results away from home when there were no crowds but home record wasn't great and then the poor league form this season there was only one thing going to happen
    Don't have a dislike for Ross just turned out he wasn't as good as I thought he would be when he came in.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by h1bs4life View Post
    100% spot on .Played the same formation against St Johnstone in the final as he had done previously loosing most of the games Add the Scottish Cup semi final defeat to a lower league team just off furlough and the League Cup semi final drubbing by St Johnstone as well.
    I thought when he came in it was a good move but some doubts appeared when the drunken german set up a team to beat us fairly easy 3-1 at Easter Road just before lockdown.
    Got some good results away from home when there were no crowds but home record wasn't great and then the poor league form this season there was only one thing going to happen
    Don't have a dislike for Ross just turned out he wasn't as good as I thought he would be when he came in.
    I'm sure with hindsight he'd have chosen to lose to Motherwell on pens in the QF. Would've saved him some amount of grief.

Hope Maloney's reading this - only get to finals if you're guaranteed to win them or don't bother at all. Oh and win every derby or start packing your bags.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I really do think that Jack needs to do a bit more self reflecting.

Got Sunderland to a cup final (the Checkatrade trophy or whatever it's called) but lost to Portsmouth. Got them close to promotion but didn't quite manage to pull it off. Fans complaining of dull football that was over-cautious. Rumours of a bit of a falling out with a couple of figures there. Some great results but some absolute howlers of results. That combined eventually cost him his job.

Came to Hibs. Got us third in the league - and you know, fair play. I think that's a really good achievement. Got us to two cup semi finals and was in charge for one cup final, didn't pull it off. Fans complaining of dull football that was over-cautious. Rumours of a bit of a falling out with a figure or so. Some great results but also quite a few absolute howlers of results. Falling attendances. That combined eventually cost him his job.

It may be been fairly brutal the way he was punted but it's a fairly brutal sport. There are things he could change and I think that if he had done so successfully may have still seen him in charge of Hibs.

It's cruel, but it's a cruel sport in a cruel world.
    Excellent summary, I know that personally I had reached a point of becoming disinterested in Hibs, looked for their results but not supprised by some of them particularly after Hampden run outs.

Got third regardless of who was or wasnae in the league but his fitbaw was awful.

Watching the games during lockdown was a chore and it didn't really improve when back in the stadium (there were a couple of exceptions).

To repeat the same mistakes against St Johnstone was criminal, Davidson must have thought he had one hand on the cup when he seen our lineup.

No ill feeling towards Jack, just wish he never went blabbing to that newspaper.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I'm sure with hindsight he'd have chosen to lose to Motherwell on pens in the QF. Would've saved him some amount of grief.

Hope Maloney's reading this - only get to finals if you're guaranteed to win them or don't bother at all. Oh and win every derby or start packing your bags.
    No idea what the quarter final has got to do with anything.
    He set up a team to play St Johnstone in a Scottish Cup Final exactly the same as he had in many other games against them without much success including a 3-0 drubbing in a semi final at Hampden .
    Most of us knew if St Johnstone went 1-0 up it was game over .

@hibs.net private member
    No idea what the quarter final has got to do with anything.
    If he’d lost it (or should I say the team had lost it) then folk wouldn’t have been banging on about an unforgivable loss for the remainder of his time. Waiting on a bad run to have a pop, being continually negative and generally not being supportive.

@hibs.net private member
    If he’d lost it (or should I say the team had lost it) then folk wouldn’t have been banging on about an unforgivable loss for the remainder of his time. Waiting on a bad run to have a pop, being continually negative and generally not being supportive.
    He never got sacked after the cup final or are you saying if we had lost to Motherwell in the quarter final then we wouldn't have gone on the horrendous run that led to his sacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    Yes those are reasons the crowd may not be that large, however if Ross was still here you can guarantee that the low crowd would be used as evidence he was the reason.
    Not on a night like tonight though which was what the poster was saying. Let's see how we go league game wise, especially if the football becomes more enjoyable to watch.

@hibs.net private member
    Ross lost the fans when that happens at most clubs there is only one outcome look at benitez same thing happened.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    The problem is that once someone gets out of a habit, it's very difficult to get them back into the habit.
    That couldn't be further from the truth.

Faling back into old habits is the easiest thing to do.

But I do understand your point.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    I think his sacking was always inevitable too, he was not the choice of the new owners, they came in right after he did so they couldn't immediately get rid of him without looking utterly ruthless/crazy. It always looked to me like as soon as there was a chance to change things they would, but while Ross was doing alright there was no need to rock the boat, then we stopped winning, and started sliding down the league.
    Jack Ross was appointed by the new/current owners (probably in conjunction with LD). Heckingbottom was the manager when they took over and it was under RG's watch that he was sacked and Ross appointed.

Heckingbottom was appointed Feb 19; Gordon bought Hibs in Jul 19; Heckingbottom was sacked Nov 19 and Jack Ross appointed in Nov 19.
    Last edited by overdrive; 20-01-2022 at 01:29 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Fans are so fickle. If we lose tonight there will be folk on here saying SM should be sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Fans are so fickle. If we lose tonight there will be folk on here saying SM should be sacked.
    There will be. Guaranteed.

@hibs.net private member
    He never got sacked after the cup final or are you saying if we had lost to Motherwell in the quarter final then we wouldn't have gone on the horrendous run that led to his sacking.
    I'm saying if he'd not been as good at winning cup matches then when he/we had our first bad run under him he wouldn't have had the angry mob chasing after him.

As it was he won too many cup matches which heightened expectation and led to his downfall - "he'll need to win the first few matches of the season to get me onside", "I'll wait an reserve judgement until the first derby" and so on until finally he/we lost a few games and it all came crashing on on him. Some folk were living for a 4 match run - going 6 (or however many it was) sent them into over drive.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    There will be. Guaranteed.
    Depends - if we play good football and lose most will be ok with it. And it's not a big game either.

@hibs.net private member
    Depends - if we play good football and lose most will be ok with it. And it's not a big game either.
    . Assuming you’re on the wind up . we get beat tonight Maloney will get hammered on here .

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    . Assuming you’re on the wind up . we get beat tonight Maloney will get hammered on here .
    Just using the words I've read on here over the last few months mate.

@hibs.net private member
    Just using the words I've read on here over the last few months mate.
    Hahaha. Thought you were . I agree with your thinking on that stuff :).