hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Ross

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Can understand his feelings, and not much in the one I read (The Sun) that I would argue against.

On paper he still has a very strong CV, and I would expect he'd be the top choice for any of the bottom six teams if they were to sack their manager this season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m surprised at the lasting dislike some have for him.

I just hope support future managers when they have a bad spell.
    I’m maybe missing it but I don’t see a real dislike for him in this thread?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I’m maybe missing it but I don’t see a real dislike for him in this thread?
    This thread is fairly light with it - just an under current. Twitter is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    The only guaranteed starter really missing in that Dun Utd defeat compared to our win on Boxing Day was Porteous. That’s no excuse for getting pumped 3-0 at home by a team who have averaged less than 1 goal a game this season.
    Magennis and Doidge too. Up until we lost all them, they were all starting and were our spine.

If Doidge had been available, Mulgrew would have been nulified, as it was he was free to stroll out with the ball picking passes. Magennis was the driving force in midfield, I love Allan but he doesn't give you that quality. Missing both those players left Nisbet isolated, as we have seen on a few occasions.

And around that time, Utd were probably the form team in the league.

I'm not saying losing 3-0 at home is excusable, it shouldn't be to any team. But you have to acknowledge the context it happened in.

@hibs.net private member
    It’s only natural that Ross felt wounded by the sacking . He will look at the progress he had made. The club looked at the more recent results and lack of a trophy no doubt .

Fwiw, I think he can rightly be proud by and large with what he achieved . The lack of a trophy will be his biggest regret and the one item that is lacking in his track record with us.

He built great relationships with many players - so no surprising those remain in place .

If Maloney betters his win rate and achievements we will be in good hands . That’s what we are all looking for .

I can see Ross going on to do some good things. He will be better off from his experience with us .

Wish him all the best .

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    A win in just half of them and we wouldn’t be trailing an average Hearts team by 10 points.
    Do we ever give other teams credit?

Hearts are on to get what 70 plus points?

Average.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    I think his sacking was always inevitable too, he was not the choice of the new owners, they came in right after he did so they couldn't immediately get rid of him without looking utterly ruthless/crazy. It always looked to me like as soon as there was a chance to change things they would, but while Ross was doing alright there was no need to rock the boat, then we stopped winning, and started sliding down the league.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Do we ever give other teams credit?

Hearts are on to get what 70 plus points?

Average.

Just like when people still say that the Rangers aren't what they used to be, despite having only lost 1 league game in the last year and a half.

Whenever we lose any game there is never any recognition that the opposing team did anything good, Hibs just exist in a vacuum for many people and other teams only exist for us to defeat.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    Just like when people still say that the Rangers aren't what they used to be, despite having only lost 1 league game in the last year and a half.

Whenever we lose any game there is never any recognition that the opposing team did anything good, Hibs just exist in a vacuum for many people and other teams only exist for us to defeat.
    The OF are there for the taking this year!

It was also meant to be Graham Mathie.

If thats Mathie and Ian Gordon he didn’t get on with, the people at Sunderland he fell out with about the signing of Will Grigg and Craig Levein when he left Hearts (I know I know)…… maybe its him that needs to look at how he manages relationships at clubs.

He strikes me as someone that doesn’t like to be challenged, see also the argument he had with St Mirren fans in the stand, maybe that’s part of the problem here.

I don’t know though, never met the man.
    Seemingly fell out with Ron a couple of months earlier, hence why there was no qualms about sacking him when he did.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I like him on a personal level and agree with him on some points, but when you look at the apathy that the fans ended up with towards the football on offer, if he wasn’t winning he was going to be under pressure quickly. It was the exact same at Sunderland too. It can take years to reverse fan apathy, sometimes you never fully do.

Maybe the cup final would have been nice, but he’s contributed a fair bit to his removal from his position.

I still wish him well though.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

To succeed in football you have to have a real belief in your own ability. Of course Jack Ross is aggrieved he was sacked because he will really believe he would have turned our form around and won us the cup.

I wouldn't expect much else from him, or anyone else in that position. Ultimately though we were on a dire run of form, he was something of a Marmite figure and the club wanted to go in a different direction. He'll get another job soon enough and I daresay the injustice he feels will be a motivating factor.

What's done is done. I was never very vocal about wanting JR sacked but I'm not sorry he is gone either.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I like him on a personal level and agree with him on some points, but when you look at the apathy that the fans ended up with towards the football on offer, if he wasn’t winning he was going to be under pressure quickly. It was the exact same at Sunderland too. It can take years to reverse fan apathy, sometimes you never fully do.

Maybe the cup final would have been nice, but he’s contributed a fair bit to his removal from his position.

I still wish him well though.
    Same situation at Aberdeen under McInnes and Killie under Wright.

In the cold light of day I'm disappointed he isn't our manager still. I think we'll regret getting rid. He's gone though so fully behind the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by EVENTUALLY View Post
    I'd guess Ian Gordon.
    Do we know what his role is yet ? He seems to be hanging around the club however from what I’ve seen I’m not sure of his role

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    I think Hibs treated Jack Ross appallingly and think he did have some credit in the bank from the results over his two years. To sack him just before the cup final was foolhardy, mean and unHibslike imo.

Obviously I hope Shaun Maloney does well and takes us onward and upward but I wonder if they might end up regretting getting rid of Ross when they did. Time will tell.
    100% - worst decision hibs have make sacking wise. All things taken into account - he did a fantastic job albeit on a poor run but with many marginal 1-0 defeats.

All said and done I hope Shaun does really well and water under the bridge now.

Quote Originally Posted by dp00 View Post
    Do we know what his role is yet ? He seems to be hanging around the club however from what I’ve seen I’m not sure of his role

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Kinsell said he’s a senior member of the recruitment team.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Ben Kinsell said he’s a senior member of the recruitment team.

He’s head of recruitment
    https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/our-club/club-directory

Quote Originally Posted by onfire View Post
    100% - worst decision hibs have make sacking wise. All things taken into account - he did a fantastic job albeit on a poor run but with many marginal 1-0 defeats.

The guy should have been sacked after losing the Scottish Cup Final to an inferior team, three times we couldn’t even score against that mob and he set the team up to lose in the final, playing exactly the same way as they had in the previous two fixtures, tactically inept, and his record in the bigger games was utterly woeful, a serial loser who we are better off without.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onfire View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    There you go, and to think some people said there was a lack of clarity about his involvement 😉

I think the problem here is how it’s been communicated. Instead of it being announced that Ron Gordon had bought the club, they should have said the Gordon family had bought it with Ron overseeing everything while another family member would be more involved in the day to day running of the club.

To wait this long and sort of sneak him in the back door was always likely to look a bit shady.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    No mention of Steve Kean in that directory that I can see. Needs updating.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    He's there, Academy Director.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    It’s up to date, he’s under football staff

Noticed our Head of Academy Sports Medicine and Science, Steve Curnyn, left this week. He’s still on it

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    The guy should have been sacked after losing the Scottish Cup Final to an inferior team, three times we couldn’t even score against that mob and he set the team up to lose in the final, playing exactly the same way as they had in the previous two fixtures, tactically inept, and his record in the bigger games was utterly woeful, a serial loser who we are better off without.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    Magennis and Doidge too. Up until we lost all them, they were all starting and were our spine.

If Doidge had been available, Mulgrew would have been nulified, as it was he was free to stroll out with the ball picking passes. Magennis was the driving force in midfield, I love Allan but he doesn't give you that quality. Missing both those players left Nisbet isolated, as we have seen on a few occasions.

And around that time, Utd were probably the form team in the league.

I'm not saying losing 3-0 at home is excusable, it shouldn't be to any team. But you have to acknowledge the context it happened in.
    But one player change and a new manager and we completely dominated them by simply passing the ball to a team mate instead of humping it long and at their patch.

@hibs.net private member
    Mental.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    But one player change and a new manager and we completely dominated them by simply passing the ball to a team mate instead of humping it long and at their patch.
    The 0-3 loss was either side of two 1-3 away wins vs them.

Testimonial Due
    Exclusive:Sacked football manager unhappy at the circumstances that lead to him losing his job.

Know some fans like yourself with that opinion - I’m
    Just not one of them - but what’s been done is done.