hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Jackson Irvine

Jackson Irvine

Noticed he was playing for St Pauli last night as they beat a pretty decent Dortmund team in the cup last night.

I didn’t mind him at Hibs. Not sure we got the best out of him. Likewise not sure if there was times he didn’t give his best but all the best to him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Noticed he was playing for St Pauli last night as they beat a pretty decent Dortmund team in the cup last night.

I didn’t mind him at Hibs. Not sure we got the best out of him. Likewise not sure if there was times he didn’t give his best but all the best to him.
    I would have taken or left him at the time it did come for him to part ways with Hibs, but I’d use him in our midfield right now!

Oh and that’s the best post I’ve read on here for a while 😉

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I would have taken or left him at the time it did come for him to part ways with Hibs, but I’d use him in our midfield right now!

Oh and that’s the best post I’ve read on here for a while 😉
    He was brought in to score goals for Hibs, and that didn’t happen
    Think he only scored 1/2

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    He was brought in to score goals for Hibs, and that didn’t happen
    Think he only scored 1/2
    How do you score half a goal?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    He was brought in to score goals
    Was he?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    How do you score half a goal?
    That'll be the one against Motherwell in the cup that was clearly offside.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I was really disappointed with Irvine. Offered very little for us and I certainly wasn’t sad to see him go.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I was really disappointed with Irvine. Offered very little for us and I certainly wasn’t sad to see him go.
    “Ditto”

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I’d have liked to have seen Irvine with a full pre season behind him and don’t think Ross knew how to get the best out of him. Saying that his form did dip from a promising start. Would have been happy enough to keep him but wasn’t overly disappointed when he left.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    After a cracking 3 or 4 weeks initially he faded off into the background most games. Was also disappointed but I put it down to fitness and needing a pre season. Was happy to keep him but if the guy wanted to go try something different I had no ill feeling towards him and hope he does well.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    After a cracking 3 or 4 weeks initially he faded off into the background most games. Was also disappointed but I put it down to fitness and needing a pre season. Was happy to keep him but if the guy wanted to go try something different I had no ill feeling towards him and hope he does well.
    I think a big part of that was Jack Ross's negative style and insistance on a pedestrian midfield. Irvine is a good player and we didn't get the best out of him while he was here.

I remember thinking multiple times throughout the season that Irvine must wonder why the hell he came to Hibs as sometimes it felt as though he was just being used as a big target man in the midfield to shell long balls towards.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    There's a pattern with good midfielders underperforming when we try accommodate Newell in to the midfield alongside them Irvine started well, JDH started well. Newell might be a tidy footballer but he's the common denominator to our midfield woes.

I was a big fan of him but don’t think we used him correctly.

He has bags of energy and is never a number 10 imo.

Played some very good passes from deep, almost Scott Allan esque and imo was no surprise Boyle hit such good form with him in the team

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    There's a pattern with good midfielders underperforming when we try accommodate Newell in to the midfield alongside them Irvine started well, JDH started well. Newell might be a tidy footballer but he's the common denominator to our midfield woes.
    Agree with this. We’d found a good balance, won a few games on the trot and played really well against Aberdeen at home. Newell came back from injury the next week, we changed the midfield about and it wasn’t as good as it had been with Irvine getting shunted about.

Without starting another Newell debate, we ended up with Irvine getting shunted out to the left at times as a result. I didn’t think we got as much out of him as we should.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 19-01-2022 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Agree with this. We’d found a good balance, won a few games on the trot and played really well against Aberdeen at home. Newell came back from injury the next week, we changed the midfield about and it wasn’t as good as it had been.

Without starting another Newell debate, we ended up with Irvine getting shunted out to the left at times as a result. I didn’t think we got as much out of him as we should.
    In fairness to Newell he came back in against Celtic.

Imo nothing would have changed on Monday if it was JDH/Gogic with Campbell as it has been the two previous games.

Likewise I think if Newell was in the two previous we would still have played well.

Left by mutual consent!
    Irvine is much better than anyone we have in midfield right now sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    Irvine is much better than anyone we have in midfield right now sadly.
    He was murder in most games he played for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    In fairness to Newell he came back in against Celtic.

Imo nothing would have changed on Monday if it was JDH/Gogic with Campbell as it has been the two previous games.

Likewise I think if Newell was in the two previous we would still have played well.
    Sorry, the Aberdeen at home I was referring to was last season when we played really well and changed things about to get Newell back in the team. In the context of this thread, I think Irvine suffered thereafter.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post

JR rarely played him in his correct position. Playing him left midfield in a 442 didn’t help and neither did using him as no 10.

Awful cup final performance. Sadly that's what I'll remember him for.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Was gutted as had 20 on him to score first goal at 20 to 1. What a chance he missed.

First Team Breakthrough
    He is played centrally for St Pauli in more of a deep lying position but does tend to get forward when he can. He was played completely out of position at Hibs which is why we didn't really see the best of him.

Playing really well at the moment with St Pauli top of the 2. Bundesliga & now into the last 8 of the German Cup

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Should have scored at 0-0 early doors, all downhill from there. I said to my mates that morning that we needed to score first as if we went behind they knew how to see out a 1-0....

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by evy View Post
    Should have scored at 0-0 early doors, all downhill from there. I said to my mates that morning that we needed to score first as if we went behind they knew how to see out a 1-0....
    said the same in the build up to the game. Everyone knew it.

As for Irvine - I wasn't bothered when he didn't re-sign. Didn't show anything worth paying over the odds for.

Started brightly enough but was just a waste of a jersey come the end of his time at the club.

Was asked to name the club's scorers in 2021 and had completely forgot all about him.

Jackson who?

Yet another " journeyman" .

I see St Pauli are one nout in front away to Hamburg at ht tonight
    He must have a good chance of playing in the bundesliga next season with them top of the league
    I wanted him to sign for us for a while before we did, then when we did I was very underwhelmed.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

I’ve literally lost count of the number of skinny footballers Hibs have signed over the last twenty years who can play nice touches yet cannae tackle a fish supper.

Football in the SPFL is a contact sport and in far too many games, our central midfield players failed to dominate. Jackson Irvine, for all of his footballing ability, was another in that same mould.
    Last edited by RIP; 22-01-2022 at 10:24 AM.