Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
There's a lot to be said for knowing your audience.

Singing 'we are the people' at Ibrox when winning is funny because it turns their own superiority complex and triumphalism back at them. Singing it at Celtic Park just doesn't work because it's Hibs fans singing a Rangers song to Celtic fans. The joke is lost.

Singing about Wallace Mercer being dead isn't without it's controversy but there is a relevance to Hibs, the irony that we outlived the man who wanted to kill us off. Singing about Billy McNeill, Bertie Auld, Ronnie Simpson etc having died is just a cringe. It's tasteless and belongs among the worst of the Rangers support, we are talking about bona fide Scottish football legends here. Same goes for the minority who sang about 'mind the stairs' at Ibrox when we got pumped 6-1 a few seasons back.

I remember a game at St Mirren a while back, sure we won 4-1. Jamie Langfield was getting a bit of banter from the Hibs fans and was giving a bit back, it was all relatively good natured. Then a small group started shouting 'paedo' every time Langfield was going to take goal kicks or collecting the ball from behind the goals. It was just witless pish and he looked totally bemused by it. Giving Langfields history of comedic errors surely someone could come up with something a bit better than 'paedo'.

As I said previously I don't mind a bit edgy humour but humour is the key word there. Is singing about old men dying funny? Is singing about a disaster that killed 60+ people funny? Is calling random people paedos funny? It's like the football equivalent of being a shock jock, say something so ridiculous with the only intention being to provoke a reaction then brand anyone who reacts a 'snowflake' or 'woke'.
👏👏👏👏👏