hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chants tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a lot to be said for knowing your audience.

Singing 'we are the people' at Ibrox when winning is funny because it turns their own superiority complex and triumphalism back at them. Singing it at Celtic Park just doesn't work because it's Hibs fans singing a Rangers song to Celtic fans. The joke is lost.

Singing about Wallace Mercer being dead isn't without it's controversy but there is a relevance to Hibs, the irony that we outlived the man who wanted to kill us off. Singing about Billy McNeill, Bertie Auld, Ronnie Simpson etc having died is just a cringe. It's tasteless and belongs among the worst of the Rangers support, we are talking about bona fide Scottish football legends here. Same goes for the minority who sang about 'mind the stairs' at Ibrox when we got pumped 6-1 a few seasons back.

I remember a game at St Mirren a while back, sure we won 4-1. Jamie Langfield was getting a bit of banter from the Hibs fans and was giving a bit back, it was all relatively good natured. Then a small group started shouting 'paedo' every time Langfield was going to take goal kicks or collecting the ball from behind the goals. It was just witless pish and he looked totally bemused by it. Giving Langfields history of comedic errors surely someone could come up with something a bit better than 'paedo'.

As I said previously I don't mind a bit edgy humour but humour is the key word there. Is singing about old men dying funny? Is singing about a disaster that killed 60+ people funny? Is calling random people paedos funny? It's like the football equivalent of being a shock jock, say something so ridiculous with the only intention being to provoke a reaction then brand anyone who reacts a 'snowflake' or 'woke'.
    👏👏👏👏👏

2. Log in to remove the advert

Sounds like the behaviour of total morons. We are not exempt from having our fair share and while youth shouldn't be an excuse for moronic behaviour, doubly disappointing to hear that grown men were singing this p'sh

Absolute shower of ******s
    Embarrassing stuff
    The club should be getting in touch with away support and telling them it’s unacceptable.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Pathetic song. Its just as bad as the rubbish Celtic fans sing we really shouldnt be lowering ourselves to the standards of the Glasgow two

It's like a competition of who can sing the most rank song at times, heard songs that are unacceptable many times in pubs and a few times in grounds, can people not think without being morons.

@hibs.net private member
    We’ve often had quite fun and cool little young team singing groups. Since 1875 we’re quality at times, and even going back to the Hibs Casuals , their terracing banter and chants I often found decent quality.

I also noticed at away games this season that there seems to be a divide between some who were previously 1875 and this new merging crew. Shame as together they would be stronger..

In recent times, there’s being much poorer quality terrace chants. But I guess it’s up to other fans to fill that gap. We can’t expect those involved to suddenly change their ways.

Bring on the new young team

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    We’ve often had quite fun and cool little young team singing groups. Since 1875 we’re quality at times, and even going back to the Hibs Casuals , their terracing banter and chants I often found decent quality.

I also noticed at away games this season that there seems to be a divide between some who were previously 1875 and this new merging crew. Shame as together they would be stronger..

In recent times, there’s being much poorer quality terrace chants. But I guess it’s up to other fans to fill that gap. We can’t expect those involved to suddenly change their ways.

Bring on the new young team

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I noticed at the away game at St Mirren that there was a bit of needle between a couple of groups - Or rather one group singling out Block 7 for whatever reason. Things do seemed to have changed a bit from the fan groups of before, and not for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I noticed at the away game at St Mirren that there was a bit of needle between a couple of groups - Or rather one group singling out Block 7 for whatever reason. Things do seemed to have changed a bit from the fan groups of before, and not for the better.
    There has been a split within the old group and new group. A few of the older head's have backed away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post

I wasn't a fan of what was sung last night, but I have to laugh at the collective outrage from the Celtic end given their own songbook.

Home fans singing about Bobby Sands and the IRA, then getting outraged at chants from the away support is quite some irony

I think the era of 'ultras' is largely about outdoing the opposition fans with the singing/flag-waving/fireworks... so they can rabbit on about it on social media... and has very little to do with actually supporting the team.

The same people were singing songs about dead Rangers players and the Ibrox disaster the last time I was at Ibrox.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

Home fans singing about Bobby Sands and the IRA, then getting outraged at chants from the away support is quite some irony

I think the era of 'ultras' is largely about outdoing the opposition fans with the singing/flag-waving/fireworks... so they can rabbit on about it on social media... and has very little to do with actually supporting the team.

The same people were singing songs about dead Rangers players and the Ibrox disaster the last time I was at Ibrox.
    Using that logic then they'd be entirely justified about singing about the IRA then 'cos some Rangers songs are worse? The Huns have justified singing "**** the pope" (loud and clear last night) 'cos a few Aberdeen fans no doubt sang about Ricksen?

Would be handy if Scottish football fans could take responsibility for their supporters actions rather than the classic whataboutery and pointing the finger at other fans.

If Hibs fans are acting like bellends, it doesn't really matter what other fans are singing. And when singing about the Lisbon Lions, or Ricksen, or Ibrox Stairways then its a Hibs problem and nothing to do with any other fans and what they've sung in the past.

Anyhoo, i'm sure they'll grow out of it...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Also noticed that at St mirren definitely a bit of needle between them don't know if the handbags after that game was anything to do with that but surely better to work together.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    Using that logic then they'd be entirely justified about singing about the IRA then 'cos some Rangers songs are worse? The Huns have justified singing "**** the pope" (loud and clear last night) 'cos a few Aberdeen fans no doubt sang about Ricksen?

Would be handy if Scottish football fans could take responsibility for their supporters actions rather than the classic whataboutery and pointing the finger at other fans.

If Hibs fans are acting like bellends, it doesn't really matter what other fans are singing. And when singing about the Lisbon Lions, or Ricksen, or Ibrox Stairways then its a Hibs problem and nothing to do with any other fans and what they've sung in the past.

Strict liability should be brought in immediately

Quote Originally Posted by zitelli62 View Post
    Also noticed that at St mirren definitely a bit of needle between them don't know if the handbags after that game was anything to do with that but surely better to work together.
    Sounds like a scene from Life of Brian the split between the Peoples front of Judea and the Judean Peoples front.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar

As I said previously I don't mind a bit edgy humour but humour is the key word there. Is singing about old men dying funny? Is singing about a disaster that killed 60+ people funny? Is calling random people paedos funny? It's like the football equivalent of being a shock jock, say something so ridiculous with the only intention being to provoke a reaction then brand anyone who reacts a 'snowflake' or 'woke'.
    You’re missing the point entirely, the people singing these songs aren’t trying to be funny, they’re doing it to cause offence.

They’re aiming to be distasteful, horrible, offensive, insulting etc.

Please, read my post again, because I made no attempt to justify anything anybody sang

Quote Originally Posted by jimbhibees View Post
    sounds like a scene from life of brian the split between the peoples front of judea and the judean peoples front.
    pffffffff******k offffffff!

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    You’re missing the point entirely, the people singing these songs aren’t trying to be funny, they’re doing it to cause offence.

They’re aiming to be distasteful, horrible, offensive, insulting etc.
    Why do so many that get involved in this stuff defend it by saying they're just having a laugh and it's 'just a song' in that case?

Personally think there will be an element of both but there are definitely some that think it's funny to sing songs we'd prefer not to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Strict liability should be brought in immediately
    Doesn't work. Other than grabbing headlines what would be the point? Hibs fork out an extra 8 grand every other week over flares and coin throwing while the authorities continue to be deaf to sectarian singing.

No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Doesn't work. Other than grabbing headlines what would be the point? Hibs fork out an extra 8 grand every other week over flares and coin throwing while the authorities continue to be deaf to sectarian singing.

No thanks.
    it has never been tried so no idea how it can be claimed it doesnt work. Only time old firm particularly
    Rangers did anything about it was when UEFA started taking an interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post

No thanks.
    If it was to make significant progress in putting a stop to all of the above then I’d be all for trying it.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    it has never been tried so no idea how it can be claimed it doesnt work. Only time old firm particularly
    Rangers did anything about it was when UEFA started taking an interest.
    And it is still happening at European ties and every other game they play

Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    And it is still happening at European ties and every other game they play
    Because it's only their clubs' money that is affected.

Any proper scheme to address the Ugly Sisters has to include closing sections of a ground, points deductions and even bans from European competitions if their fans persist.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar

A lot of people dont follow football because of the rubbish pouring out the stands. Its all a bit pathetiv some of the chants

There's a lot to be said for knowing your audience.

Singing 'we are the people' at Ibrox when winning is funny because it turns their own superiority complex and triumphalism back at them. Singing it at Celtic Park just doesn't work because it's Hibs fans singing a Rangers song to Celtic fans. The joke is lost.

Singing about Wallace Mercer being dead isn't without it's controversy but there is a relevance to Hibs, the irony that we outlived the man who wanted to kill us off. Singing about Billy McNeill, Bertie Auld, Ronnie Simpson etc having died is just a cringe. It's tasteless and belongs among the worst of the Rangers support, we are talking about bona fide Scottish football legends here. Same goes for the minority who sang about 'mind the stairs' at Ibrox when we got pumped 6-1 a few seasons back.

I remember a game at St Mirren a while back, sure we won 4-1. Jamie Langfield was getting a bit of banter from the Hibs fans and was giving a bit back, it was all relatively good natured. Then a small group started shouting 'paedo' every time Langfield was going to take goal kicks or collecting the ball from behind the goals. It was just witless pish and he looked totally bemused by it. Giving Langfields history of comedic errors surely someone could come up with something a bit better than 'paedo'.

I've no doubt shouted plenty daft things over the years, but the obsession with paedophiles in Scottish football must be unique, or do football fans around the world all carry on like this? Even the ladies Derby at Tynecastle recently - there was a small group of cretins who thought it hilarious to shout PAEDO every time Rachel Boyle touched the ball or came close to the touchline, the mind boggles at the witless morons amongst us.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    A lot of people dont follow football because of the rubbish pouring out the stands.
    How do we know this?

I’ve never heard anyone say they weren’t going ER because of songs being sung!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post

I've no doubt shouted plenty daft things over the years, but the obsession with paedophiles in Scottish football must be unique, or do football fans around the world all carry on like this? Even the ladies Derby at Tynecastle recently - there was a small group of cretins who thought it hilarious to shout PAEDO every time Rachel Boyle touched the ball or came close to the touchline, the mind boggles at the witless morons amongst us.
    That is a mind boggler. Makes nae sense either. Clubs should be getting tougher on these wee morons.

A couple of chants from the Aberdeen fans when playing against rangers

“Walters in a box, in a box, walters in a box”

“Somebody call 911, Ricksen’s doing wheelies in the dance floor” https://youtu.be/YkyhvCdJ_vM exactly 1 minute in

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

“Somebody call 911, Ricksen’s doing wheelies in the dance floor” https://youtu.be/YkyhvCdJ_vM exactly 1 minute in
    Also complete ********s that Scottish football would be better without.

Doesn’t take anything away from the d**** at Celtic park on Monday though.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Thats disgusting

Sounds like a scene from Life of Brian the split between the Peoples front of Judea and the Judean Peoples front.
    Incidentally, who were the "splitters" - the Judean People's Front or the People's Front of Judea? Anyway, they were all at the amphitheatre watching the gladiators innat, and I bet neither group song stuff as ***** as our fans the other night. Even though they hated the Romans - a lot!