hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possession

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you’d been at the game you wouldn’t have viewed it like this. Asking players to do things they aren’t comfortable with
    Was having a chat at ht with most of the fans who go home and away, and they feel what we’ve brought in this window, apart from possibly Clarke, won’t improve us
    I thought he showed his naivety tonight, thinking he could play possession football in our own penalty box at Parkhead

Really really dreadful performance
    You are waffling some amount of pish.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Do you know something, there probably was a bit of idealism in the way we played last night; but I'm prepared to put up with the ocacsional night like last night. Repetition delivers experience and if we want to be a football team who plays attractive football then we need to get used to it, even in pressured situations. It wasn't pretty but there were signs against Aberdeen and Dundee United who quite frankly are amonst our main rivals that we can play that style effectively.

Maloney will learn as he gets more experienced but the expectation for us to at least try to play out from the back is on balance a positive thing.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesHFC View Post
    You are waffling some amount of pish.
    I think he is right about asking players to play out of our penalty box and corner flag. But punts upfield just give the ball back to opposition and put you under pressure again.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Do you know something, there probably was a bit of idealism in the way we played last night; but I'm prepared to put up with the ocacsional night like last night. Repetition delivers experience and if we want to be a football team who plays attractive football then we need to get used to it, even in pressured situations. It wasn't pretty but there were signs against Aberdeen and Dundee United who quite frankly are amonst our main rivals that we can play that style effectively.

Maloney will learn as he gets more experienced but the expectation for us to at least try to play out from the back is on balance a positive thing.
    Celtic had their faults with it at the beginning of the season but are getting rewarded for it now. Although we don’t have the same quality of player, coaching youngsters with potential to play a certain way is not impossible. We knew from the moment Maloney came in that this wasn’t going to be something that would be successful over night but it’s a work in progress. But for people to say that the players brought in won’t improve the team when they have probably never seen them play more than a YouTube compilation is ludicrous.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesHFC View Post
    Celtic had their faults with it at the beginning of the season but are getting rewarded for it now. Although we don’t have the same quality of player, coaching youngsters with potential to play a certain way is not impossible. We knew from the moment Maloney came in that this wasn’t going to be something that would be successful over night but it’s a work in progress. But for people to say that the players brought in won’t improve the team when they have probably never seen them play more than a YouTube compilation is ludicrous.
    Only Rocky of the new signings started and after a rusty start, strolled through the game.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Only Rocky of the new signings started and after a rusty start, strolled through the game.
    Very early days but i could see him becoming a bit of a cult hero. Impressed me. Probably the least exciting of the new signings when it was announced (for me anyway).

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    If you’d been at the game you wouldn’t have viewed it like this. Asking players to do things they aren’t comfortable with
    Was having a chat at ht with most of the fans who go home and away, and they feel what we’ve brought in this window, apart from possibly Clarke, won’t improve us
    I thought he showed his naivety tonight, thinking he could play possession football in our own penalty box at Parkhead

Really really dreadful performance
    That’s quite an opinion, one I’m surprised at from you Billy.

Regardless of whether fans go home or away, how can they come to the opinion that the players brought in won’t be an improvement when the majority probably have never seen them play?

Thought Rocky, after the first ten mins, was an improvement on Mcginn at RCB. Comfortable on the ball and could pick out a forward pass.

£33 to be there to watch that Shaun, most of the Hibs fans fell asleep in the 2nd half
    Just boring, tippy tappy football. Play to our players strengths, we’re not Belgium
    What are those strengths out of interest?

It’s not an overnight project for Maloney, it’ll take time. Although it seems the possession never done damage last night (only seen highlights), it’s good that it’s getting drilled into them. It’s easier to work on patterns going forward than it is to change a mentality. The second part Maloney seems to have done quickly, now it’s all about training and confidence to allow us to evolve going forward. Exciting times and good to see his philosophy doesn’t change whether at home to bottom of the league or away to Celtic.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Interesting that no one is recognising the possibility that Newell is instructed to play calmly and keep possession. Instead, he is a coward.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Sorry, I’m labouring the point here but the crowds staying away is a really relevant factor to Ross getting his jotters.

You can’t dismiss that as not being an issue.

Fans will stay away for a while yet until Maloney can convince them he can put out a team that’s entertaining. Tonight wasn’t a good night for the club on that front however I hope the players and fans can move on quickly from it.
    Fine thoughtful post 👍

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I think that the attribute/attributes that link our signings are technical ability and a turn of pace and as such I do think that they'll improve us. I'm not entirely sure how we set up for last night with so many players out that gets a better result but Melkersen, Henderson, Bushiri, Clarke quite frankly all strike me as gearing up towards a certain system that allows us to press, get the ball forward, play one touch football and attack more freely. I'm well up for that.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    Interesting that no one is recognising the possibility that Newell is instructed to play calmly and keep possession. Instead, he is a coward.
    You can pass forward and still keep possession.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Which he does, often. I’ve not seen last nights game to comment on that, but it’s a myth that Newell doesn’t pass the ball forward.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Which he does, often. I’ve not seen last nights game to comment on that, but it’s a myth that Newell doesn’t pass the ball forward.
    I do think he's been much better the past few months at it. Last night was bad though.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    It has begun.
    I don't always agree with you but I do in respect of that post.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Not if no one is showing for the ball you can't. That's how you lose it.

He can be cowardly. It’s fine to keep possession and Newell has proved he’s capable of going forward with the ball or passing it forward. Last night on numerous occasions he received the ball from a defender and didn’t even look forward to see what was on. Instead, as he often does, he passed it back or sideways which allowed Celtic to push us back which often resulted in a defender or Macey shelling it up the park usually to a Celtic player.

I appreciate it’s early days for Maloney and it might be next season before his style can be properly implemented but playing football at Premier League level involves an element of bravery, especially at venues like the San Giro and Ibrox. Last night Newell didn’t looked interested in being brave which given he is our ‘playmaker’ is not a good omen.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Not if no one is showing for the ball you can't. That's how you lose it.
    That’s true but playing it back the way only delayed the inevitable and often we lost possession nearer to our own goal. We needed someone to bring the ball out when there wasn’t a pass on, Newell seemed to be the one last night that had the most opportunity to do that, but each time he turned back the way. Maybe he’s been told to do that but it got us nowhere last night. I quite like Newell and I’m sure he’s got the ability to be more positive and dynamic in his play so I’m more inclined to think he’s being told to retain possession at all times. It’s also worth pointing out that we were playing Celtic and that against other teams there might be easier passes available further up the pitch.

United we stand here....

Coaching Staff
    He’s not cowardly, however he’s a player who was signed as an attacking midfielder so he clearly showed in his career he has the ability to take on a man and drive forward. In a dynamic game, of course he may be instructed to sit, protect and circulate the ball, but way too often he gathers the ball in space and opts for a very safe option rather than drive forward and take a midfielder or two out the equation. He’s too passive and languid, and must inject urgency in his play at times when the option is there in a game.

Someone like Chris Waddle, a player not blessed with pace, but had the technical ability to shift the ball and beat a man is the type of player I see Newell as being (albeit much less talented). But he has that in his game, simply doesn’t either have the confidence or desire to do it.

Listen to Stephen Glass’s podcast with Graham Hunter when he talked about Mowbray’s tactics v Celtic and Rangers - keep three up, and attack spaces when they arise. Have confidence in your ability - and remember those Old Firm sides had much more quailty than the present sides.

Maloney has inherited a squad that for two or three seasons want to play - and have been coached to play - conservative football. That’ll take time to coach away, and the new signings will help and enhance a more attack minded game approach.

Celtic were very good, as they have been since Ange took over. But I’ve watched Dundee United, Hearts and Livingston put up really good showings at Parkhead where they’ve deserved more than they got, purely because they played with no fear.

Newell and others need to do much more in big games. Much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Logie Green View Post
    He can be cowardly. It’s fine to keep possession and Newell has proved he’s capable of going forward with the ball or passing it forward. Last night on numerous occasions he received the ball from a defender and didn’t even look forward to see what was on. Instead, as he often does, he passed it back or sideways which allowed Celtic to push us back which often resulted in a defender or Macey shelling it up the park usually to a Celtic player.

I appreciate it’s early days for Maloney and it might be next season before his style can be properly implemented but playing football at Premier League level involves an element of bravery, especially at venues like the San Giro and Ibrox. Last night Newell didn’t looked interested in being brave which given he is our ‘playmaker’ is not a good omen.
    We won’t go on to be a good team with those two playing together in the middle of the park. First thought is nearly always negative. There was one in the first half last night that dropped to Newell outside our box under no real pressure. Instead of turning away and looking up the pitch he decided to play it back in to Hanlon in our box (who ended up shadowing it out for a corner). No real interest in going forward and it’s so frustrating to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    We won’t go on to be a good team with those two playing together in the middle of the park. First thought is nearly always negative. There was one in the first half last night that dropped to Newell outside our box under no real pressure. Instead of turning away and looking up the pitch he decided to play it back in to Hanlon in our box (who ended up shadowing it out for a corner). No real interest in going forward and it’s so frustrating to watch.
    Presumably if it drops on the edge of our box and he doesn’t get a shout telling him to turn out then he’ll expect someone’s up his arse and go backwards.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Presumably if it drops on the edge of our box and he doesn’t get a shout telling him to turn out then he’ll expect someone’s up his arse and go backwards.
    Surely his job is a midfielder is to constantly be knowing what’s over his shoulder?

There were plenty times in last nights match he had time to get it down and turned. Don’t get me wrong, he wouldn’t have had long and he’d need to move it quickly but far too often he just took the lazy option of going for the simple 10 yard pass back the way.

My opinion is that if Newall doesn't see anything on up the park, which is highly possible, he prefers to keep possession than create a 50/50 at best.
    If the movement of our forward players improve then I think you will see a big difference in how he distributes the ball.
    In the meantime he is still comfortably our best midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    My opinion is that if Newall doesn't see anything on up the park, which is highly possible, he prefers to keep possession than create a 50/50 at best.
    If the movement of our forward players improve then I think you will see a big difference in how he distributes the ball.
    Think you’re right - he’s an intelligent player. If he had a good hold up front man in front of him I’m sure he’d play it up to feet but if that option is Nisbet then it’s likely he’ll either be muscled off the ball or let a defender just walk in front of him.

I know that seems like a gratuitous dig at Nisbet but if he’s got a man on him there’s no way you’re giving him it if your intent on keeping possession which is what it’s all about these days.

JDH and Newell are more than capable of finding incisive forward passes when they’re on. The criticism of them is totally OTT.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Think you’re right - he’s an intelligent player. If he had a good hold up front man in front of him I’m sure he’d play it up to feet but if that option is Nisbet then it’s likely he’ll either be muscled off the ball or let a defender just walk in front of him.

I know that seems like a gratuitous dig at Nisbet but if he’s got a man on him there’s no way you’re giving him it if your intent on keeping possession which is what it’s all about these days.

JDH and Newell are more than capable of finding incisive forward passes when they’re on. The criticism of them is totally OTT.
    Completely agree.

He played that back pass to Hanlon but there was also times he won at at the edge of our box and went charging out with it instead of lumping it. Also if you’re playing Celtic and you’re facing your own goal you’re 90% of the time playing the ball to a centre half and not turning 30 yards out against the best pressing team in the league.

People need to realise that when he gets on the ball so deep there will be so many bodies infringe of him, especially against Celtic that forward pass isn’t always on, especially when Nisbet doesn’t look interested - on a side note I was delighted to see Rocky go mental at him.

Don’t get me wrong there’s occaisions as a team where we need to go forward more but imo that’s mainly for Cadden, Doig, Wright, Boyle and Nisbet. They need to make the movement to allow the forward pass and when they get it they need to be direct.

Last night JDH sprayed some lovely cross field passes which gave us 1v1 scenarios which came to nothing. Over on the left Wright and Campbell had lots of chances in 1 v 1s but they weren’t brave and the ball came right back.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post

Newell especially always seems to look for the safe option and only play forward if it's the only option. It reminds me of when Lewis started playing left back all the time. He would make good runs get to the end of the box then turn back.

Good players would have an awareness of what’s around them. His first thought is back.

I’ve always been critical of him for slowing things down, going backwards and so on but last night was on a whole different level.

First half it was the usual sideways and backwards which is maybe what he's been asked to do as some poster said.

Second half he looked more aggressive wanting to run with the ball and pass it forward.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Him being considered to be comfortably out best midfielder is probably why we’ve toiled in midfield for much of the season.

When he’s not there we rarely miss him.