hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possession

First Team Breakthrough

Possession

Not a great night but I thought we had a lot more possession than normal against them still no cutting edge and nisbet should have scored when he hit the post , got to take your chances

2. Log in to remove the advert

Celtic let us have it as we could do bugger all with it.

Our possession was boring and non productive, 0 shots on target

First Team Breakthrough
    Wow! I cannot believe what I watched ,so disappointed in our whole make up and terrible negative attitude. We have mastered the art of playing terrified and Celtic could smell it.What a cowardly way to play football second half not any better they went back from 2nd gear to first.Nisbet out JDH & Newell played like sweepers. Words fail me.

Quote Originally Posted by swordin3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow! I cannot believe what I watched ,so disappointed in our whole make up and terrible negative attitude. We have mastered the art of playing terrified and Celtic could smell it.What a cowardly way to play football second half not any better they went back from 2nd gear to first.Nisbet out JDH & Newell played like sweepers. Words fail me.
    What would you have done differently?

Hibs are a conundrum again.we have to start doing better in these games and the transfer market or it’s 2008-2014 all over again.
    If Boyle goes scary to think where our attacking play ends up as everything positive or dangerous goes through him the rest goes backwards or sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrougier123 View Post
    Hibs are a conundrum again.we have to start doing better in these games and the transfer market or it’s 2008-2014 all over again.
    If Boyle goes scary to think where our attacking play ends up as everything positive or dangerous goes through him the rest goes backwards or sideways.
    Based off of 3 games under the new manager? 2008-2014? You cannot be serious? 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    Many people were claiming Hibs were a completely different team after 2 games so what’s the difference here?

Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    I imagine he'd have gone to tynie

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Many people were claiming Hibs were a completely different team after 2 games so what’s the difference here?
    We lost and the knives are being sharpened.

How did they play like ‘sweepers’? Im not sure it’s even possible to play with two sweepers

Exaggeration. There is a notable difference in how we are trying to play but it will take time to get right. It’s been 3 games.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Joe Newell clearly.

Nah, In all seriousness, anybody who doesn’t know the difference between Celtic away and games against Aberdeen/Dundee Utd probably aren’t worth discussing the game with.

We were clearly a very different team against Aberdeen and Dundee Utd. We were also very clearly pish tonight.

If the games played in your own 18 years box offering no threat as a result of your possession then yeah that would be a positive. In the real world it wasn’t good enough and it’s such a transition of style to play this way it will take time and no one should expect miracles after 3 weeks or whatever it’s been. Will take time and a lot of players who didn’t feature tonight will make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    We lost and the knives are being sharpened.
    Not by me they’re no pal- SM has my full support and I’ll judge when he’s been given time. There’s a difference between backing the team and manager and pointing out hypocrisy amongst some fans.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Joe Newell clearly.

Nah, In all seriousness, anybody who doesn’t know the difference between Celtic away and games against Aberdeen/Dundee Utd probably aren’t worth discussing the game with.

We were clearly a very different team against Aberdeen and Dundee Utd. We were also very clearly pish tonight.
    Pretty sure everyone knows that Celtic away is different to the other games but don’t really get the relevance.

Bottom line is that we’ll not know if a young manager with new ideas will succeed or fail until he gets a chance to properly implement his plan- that won’t be 2 weeks, 3 weeks or even 3 months. So there’s no point worrying he might be a failure or hailing him as a Messiah when he’s just in the door.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    Played the ball forward! We pass the ball back from the other half eventually back to Macey who boots it aimlessly into their half.Would it not be more beneficial for Newell to actually look up and forward to make a positive pass 50 yards closer to our forwards than twenty back passes to Macey .

Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    Our possession was boring and non productive, 0 shots on target
    Although we had 0 shots on target it’s a bit of a flawed stat for measuring how dangerous we were.

Nisbet hit the post from 1 yard which should be a goal every day of the week yet because that’s classed as not on target people think we never created anything.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    How did they play like ‘sweepers’? Im not sure it’s even possible to play with two sweepers
    They were as far back as 80s style Sweepers.
    No team ever won passing the ball along the backline aimlessly terrified to kick it up the park.Played like cowards too scared to make a mistake. Too many players looking to make a negative pass.

Pretty sure everyone knows that Celtic away is different to the other games but don’t really get the relevance.

Bottom line is that we’ll not know if a young manager with new ideas will succeed or fail until he gets a chance to properly implement his plan- that won’t be 2 weeks, 3 weeks or even 3 months. So there’s no point worrying he might be a failure or hailing him as a Messiah when he’s just in the door.
    You don’t get the relevance?

I find that crazy to be honest. We were up against a team worth millions and millions more than us. It’s to be expected against the lesser teams we will find it easier to implement our new strategy. Against teams like Celtic away of course we will struggle this early on.

@hibs.net private member
    You don’t get the relevance?

I find that crazy to be honest. We were up against a team worth millions and millions more than us. It’s to be expected against the lesser teams we will find it easier to implement our new strategy. Against teams like Celtic away of course we will struggle this early on.
    How long would you give him to make the improvements Bingo?

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Half time against Cove

@hibs.net private member
    Half time against Cove
    Only if the crowd is low cos it’s clearly his fault the fans are staying away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    I didn’t blame maloney anywhere in that post.but I’ve seen nothing that convinces me we are heading for something special here.transfer dealings still not supplying what we need.for example we need them to be available for starters,only our club could have six new players and one play who wouldn’t have had porteous and mcginn been available.

Get behind the gaffer by all means but you yourself had no patience for Ross so you must cringe at your own attempts to poke at folk who share an opinion you don’t like eh?

Without being tit for tat with you why don’t you tell me and others what fills you with confidence going forward about tonight’s crap display ,and what I might’ve missed in our other displays also.

We look to be harrying the opposition to win the ball back which can leave players out of position ,but there is a distinct added attempt to do it.fair enough.something added to the playbook.

We have a big squad so going forward he can tinker especially with the 5 sub rule being back that’s a plus.

Needs to sort out Nisbets attitude as it’s rotten.if he loses Boyle it’s a steep incline to success as hibs gaffer,it’s an early assessment but still it is what it is.

Hopefully better to come but I think most teams might’ve nicked something from Celtic tonight.

Transfer window still needs to do us a turn I feel.

To answer your question seriously though, I dunno. It’s not something I think I’d define by a set period of time. As long as there’s signs of progress being made I like to think I’d be reasonable.

That said. I also absolutely recognise im someone who’s emotions takes over and if I think someone’s *****, I think they’re *****. In a clumsy way I suppose I’m saying I judge folk on what I see and think at games, not on stats, league tables or their Wikipedia page.

Only if the crowd is low cos it’s clearly his fault the fans are staying away.
    Sorry, I’m labouring the point here but the crowds staying away is a really relevant factor to Ross getting his jotters.

You can’t dismiss that as not being an issue.

Fans will stay away for a while yet until Maloney can convince them he can put out a team that’s entertaining. Tonight wasn’t a good night for the club on that front however I hope the players and fans can move on quickly from it.

I didn’t blame maloney anywhere in that post.but I’ve seen nothing that convinces me we are heading for something special here.transfer dealings still not supplying what we need.for example we need them to be available for starters,only our club could have six new players and one play who wouldn’t have had porteous and mcginn been available.

Get behind the gaffer by all means but you yourself had no patience for Ross so you must cringe at your own attempts to poke at folk who share an opinion you don’t like eh?

Without being tit for tat with you why don’t you tell me and others what fills you with confidence going forward about tonight’s crap display ,and what I might’ve missed in our other displays also.

We look to be harrying the opposition to win the ball back which can leave players out of position ,but there is a distinct added attempt to do it.fair enough.something added to the playbook.

We have a big squad so going forward he can tinker especially with the 5 sub rule being back that’s a plus.

Needs to sort out Nisbets attitude as it’s rotten.if he loses Boyle it’s a steep incline to success as hibs gaffer,it’s an early assessment but still it is what it is.

Hopefully better to come but I think most teams might’ve nicked something from Celtic tonight.

It’s been 3 games. Your post is more than fair and reasonable if he’s had half a season or whatever but it’s literally been 3 games.

Do agree about Nisbet.

First Team Breakthrough
    Played the ball forward! We pass the ball back from the other half eventually back to Macey who boots it aimlessly into their half.Would it not be more beneficial for Newell to actually look up and forward to make a positive pass 50 yards closer to our forwards than twenty back passes to Macey .
    Posts like this are great because it lets the reader know straight away that the person hasnt the first clue about football.

Pass the ball forward? ****ing excellent, get that sent on a post card to Maloney - bet he didn't think of that.

Honest to god man.

Get back to posting on the Evening News Facebook.

Our possession tonight was really good and we kept the ball at times under a lot of pressure.

Our defence, especially Rocky, I thought were very good at staying calm and retaining possession. We missed Porteous’ ability to to the eye of a needle pass.

Clarke and Porteous would have both made a huge difference tonight in stepping out from the back and into play which would commit another opposition player and create and overload.

The issue is the defence done really good work with the midfield or wing backs to get us out however when we had the opportunity to break or got in a good position we passed it straight back.

There was a couple off the top of my head, one where Wright got the ball wide and the other Murphy who played it to the overlapping Campbell.

On both occasions we needed to show a bit of aggression and direct play but we lacked belief and passed it back allowing Celtic to regroup.

With Maloney’s styles he needs players to take the opportunity and be brave in the final third.

I also think Boyle isn’t overly suited to the role as he’s not great at dropping into areas for the ball and us used to being out wide or going in behind. It might need a bit of coaching for him to get used to it.

@hibs.net private member

I have no issues with your posts. You are questioning, amongst other things, the immediate impact of young signings in this transfer window (I think). It’s a fair theme to reflect on. Particularly if some of the experienced players exit during this transfer window. And yes, it is too early to suggest if we have anything special happening..we all hope so..but could be a harder journey, if we don’t mix proven experience with raw young talent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk