hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

2022 Australian Open

The build up to this Grand Slam has been a build up like no other, probably in the history of tennis.

The headlines over the past two weeks have been all about Novak Djokovic, the world number one, tournament favourite and defending champion who has won this title a record 9 times and was looking to overtake both Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal for the number of Grand Slam titles won in his career.

However as someone who is famously opposed to vaccination he has faced fierce criticism from the Australian public ever since it was announced that he was entering the country on a medical exemption when the Australian population have been under some of the toughest Covid-19 restrictions in the world over the last 2 years.

He's spent much of the last two weeks in a detention hotel which has highlighted another issue of asylum seekers. However it all came to a climax earlier today when Djokovic's second appeal against deportation was heard by three judges and the decision of the Immigration Minister to cancel his visa was upheld and shortly afterwards Djokovic turned up at Melbourne Airport and was on a flight to Dubai.

So now we head into the tournament which starts in 2 and a half hours' time and hopefully with Djokovic no longer there we can focus on the tennis - after all as Rafael Nadal (who is looking to become the all-time leading men's Grand Slam champion himself) said the other day "there is no one player in history that's more important than an event."

We have some big players involved on day one. Nadal will play Marcos Giron, 2021 Queen's champion Matteo Berrettini plays Brandon Nakashima, Sascha Zverev plays fellow German Daniel Altmeier and we have British interest with Cam Norrie playing Sebastian Korda.

Here's to a great two weeks of tennis.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Would obviously love to see Andy Murray have a successful tournament but it's a big ask and even his first round match looks tough. I'd also like to see Cameron Norrie do well.

Be good if Nadal could win it. There seems to be an assumption that it's just a matter of time before Djokovic finally eclipses Nadal and Federer but if Nadal were to get to 21 Slams (and maybe even follow up at the French) it's suddenly a whole lot harder for Djokovic as he approaches his 35th birthday and a number of younger players finally looking capable of displacing the old guard.

Nadal's only won this title once though so probably a long shot at his age.
    Last edited by He's here!; 17-01-2022 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would obviously love to see Andy Murray have a successful tournament but it's a big ask and even his first round match looks tough. I'd also like to see Cameron Norrie do well.

Be good if Nadal could win it. There seems to be an assumption that it's just a matter of time before Djokovic finally eclipses Nadal and Federer but if Nadal were to get to 21 Slams (and maybe even follow up at the French) it's suddenly a whole lot harder for Djokovic as he approaches his 35th birthday and a number of younger players finally looking capable of displacing the old guard.

Nadal's only won this title once though so probably a long shot at his age.
    Yeah I'm a big fan of Nadal and would love to see him win (if it's not Murray obviously) but I don't see it.

Although Nadal's only won the Australian Open once he does have a decent record there as he's also been into the final on a further four occasions.

I think Medvedev or perhaps Tsitsipas will be the tips for the tournament. They are in the same half of the draw though so they'll probably play each other in the semis.

Medvedev v Zverev final.

Disappointing result for Cam Norrie as he loses in straight sets to Sebastian Korda.

Easy win for Nadal.

It's going to be an early rise for any UK based Andy Murray fans tomorrow as his first round match v Nikoloz Basilashvili is due to start at 4am GMT.

Dan Evans not much better on at 3:30am v David Goffin.

Emma Raducanu plays in her first Grand Slam match since her win at last year's US Open and she has a tough match v Sloane Stephens - match due on at 10am GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Disappointing result for Cam Norrie as he loses in straight sets to Sebastian Korda.

Easy win for Nadal.
    Surprisingly poor display from Norrie.

Suspect Radacanu will struggle to win her opening match based on recent form. Hopefully she'll prove me wrong, although it's not entirely surprising she's been up and down since her stunning US Open win, which came almost out of nowhere.

I see Coco Gauff has gone out in straight sets in her first round match. Another young woman who may be finding the pressure of becoming an overnight 'name' hard to cope with.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Nadal and would love to see him win (if it's not Murray obviously) but I don't see it.

Although Nadal's only won the Australian Open once he does have a decent record there as he's also been into the final on a further four occasions.

I think Medvedev or perhaps Tsitsipas will be the tips for the tournament. They are in the same half of the draw though so they'll probably play each other in the semis.

Medvedev v Zverev final.
    Can’t see anybody but Medvedev winning this if he is on form

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Surprisingly poor display from Norrie.

Suspect Radacanu will struggle to win her opening match based on recent form. Hopefully she'll prove me wrong, although it's not entirely surprising she's been up and down since her stunning US Open win, which came almost out of nowhere.

I see Coco Gauff has gone out in straight sets in her first round match. Another young woman who may be finding the pressure of becoming an overnight 'name' hard to cope with.
    Yeah I'm a bit worried about Raducanu if I'm honest. Stephens is an experienced player and a former semi-finalist at the Australian Open although she's not quite the player she was 3 of 4 years ago.

Raducanu really has no form going into the tournament though and has barely won a match since winning the US Open.

Raducanu is the favourite with the bookies and if I was a gambler I would be placing a decent amount on Stephens.

Gauff is one who I really thought could go far. She's still only 17 so may still do it of course.

Nadal really needs to take a shaver to that heid of his. Or wear a hat.

Andy Murray match starting now.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Andy Murray match starting now.
    Cruising so far.

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    Cruising so far.
    Yup, 1st set Murray 6-1.

Maybe spoke too soon. Looks better in the 3rd again though.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Arrgh...got right back into the tie break then blew it. 2 sets all.

Unbelievable. I've just woken up and expected this to be over long ago!

Triple match point, Murray!!

He's done it!

Murray wins in five after nearly 4 hours!

Well done, Andy!

Murray wins!

Hopefully the next round is less stressful, doubt it though

Listening to the Murray match on 5Live whilst walking to work. If anything listening to Murray is even more nerve wracking than watching him.

Some achievement from him. Again.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

He never makes it easy does he? Going to bed now thankfully. I’m one happy woman.

What's all the booing about? Djokovic fans I assume? Murray's getting it now.

Murray now plays qualifier Taro Daniel in round two, probably on Thursday.

He should be looking to win that one.

Who are the clowns doing the booing or am I missing some edgy banter that's gone over my head?

Who are the clowns doing the booing or am I missing some edgy banter that's gone over my head?
    As I said earlier I can only assume it's Djokovic fans. The commentary team don't seem to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    As I said earlier I can only assume it's Djokovic fans. The commentary team don't seem to know.
    Imbeciles, security should be chucking them out whatever their reason is.

Certainly would not be tolerated at Wimbledon.

Imbeciles, security should be chucking them out whatever their reason is.

Certainly would not be tolerated at Wimbledon.
    From BBC 5 LIVE:

BBC Sport at Melbourne Park

"Sad to report the cringiest cheer in Premier League football has arrived at Melbourne Park.

Hearing what you think are boos on the 5 Live comms? Nope, pretty sure they are 'Siuuuuus'.

That's the thing Cristiano Ronaldo shouts - with 75,000 Manchester United fans joining in - when he scores."

I have no idea what this is all about and I hope to hell it stops pronto. Murray even had a go at them in his speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    From BBC 5 LIVE:

BBC Sport at Melbourne Park

"Sad to report the cringiest cheer in Premier League football has arrived at Melbourne Park.

Hearing what you think are boos on the 5 Live comms? Nope, pretty sure they are 'Siuuuuus'.

That's the thing Cristiano Ronaldo shouts - with 75,000 Manchester United fans joining in - when he scores."

I have no idea what this is all about and I hope to hell it stops pronto. Murray even had a go at them in his speech.
    No words. 🤦

Liam Broady loses the first set 6-4 to Nick Kyrgios.

Kyrgios great fun to watch great player when it’s all going right for him.

Kyrgios two sets up v Broady - seems to be a match being played in the right spirit.

On the other hand this booing/siuuuuing or whatever it is, is really irritating and needs binned.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    He's done it!

Murray wins in five after nearly 4 hours!

Well done, Andy!
    Legend