hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Daniel breaks again - 4-3. 🙄

2. Log in to remove the advert

Daniel saves two break points - 5-3. 🙄

Daniel wins the first set 6-4.

Time to get ready for work.

Daniel breaks again in the second set - 3-2 Daniel, second set.

Second set Daniel - all over now I think.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Nice to see a wee Hibee showing support!

Murray beaten in straight sets. Really disappointing result for him, didn't expect that at all.

Well, Murray did say he wanted to end matches quickly so he got his wish.

Outplayed throughout, and Daniel was a worthy winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Murray beaten in straight sets. Really disappointing result for him, didn't expect that at all.
    He's refusing to use the first round five-setter as an excuse, although I can't help but think his body can no longer keep up with the way his mind works after such a major operation. Given that only one other player has ever returned to play top level professional tennis after that sort of surgery (one of the Bryant brothers in doubles I think), it would be miraculous if Murray could seriously challenge at the top again. In saying that, he reached the Sydney Classic final just before the Australian Open so maybe he's just run out of steam and had an off day.

Radacanu out as well. Sounds like she was playing backhands only at one point due to a blister affecting her forehand and serve.

Great match between Matteo Berrettini and 18 year old Carlos Alcaraz.

More than 4 hours played and Berrettini has just won in a 5th set championship tiebreak.

Another great match on now between Rafael Nadal and Karen Khachanov.

Into a fourth set with Nadal 2 sets to 1 up and he's just broken Khachanov to go 2-0 up.

Nadal wins in four sets.

Really hope he wins the tournament.

Nadal wins in four sets.

Really hope he wins the tournament.
    So far so good for him. The leading seeds will be really hoping to capitalise on Djokovic's absence though so next week won't be easy.

Dan Evans loses in straight sets to Felix Auger-Aliassime and all seven British singles players, both men and women, are now out by the third round.

Sadly I fear this is what we will be seeing much more of in the near future now that Andy Murray appears to be finished at the very highest level.

Dan Evans loses in straight sets to Felix Auger-Aliassime and all seven British singles players, both men and women, are now out by the third round.

Sadly I fear this is what we will be seeing much more of in the near future now that Andy Murray appears to be finished at the very highest level.
    Probably, although when you bear in mind that Murray was almost freakish as a modern era British player in terms of what he achieved, the others haven't been doing too badly of late. Norrie is top 12 in the world (winning Indian Wells was a massive result) and Evans just outside the top 20 I think. The doubles players, in particular Jamie Murray, have picked up a number of slam titles in recent years and we have a relatively competitive Davis Cup team even without the Murrays. Plus of course in the women's game Radacanu stunned the tennis world last year.

I agree though that the legacy of Andy Murray doesn't look like being as strong as it probably should have.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Probably, although when you bear in mind that Murray was almost freakish as a modern era British player in terms of what he achieved, the others haven't been doing too badly of late. Norrie is top 12 in the world (winning Indian Wells was a massive result) and Evans just outside the top 20 I think. The doubles players, in particular Jamie Murray, have picked up a number of slam titles in recent years and we have a relatively competitive Davis Cup team even without the Murrays. Plus of course in the women's game Radacanu stunned the tennis world last year.

I agree though that the legacy of Andy Murray doesn't look like being as strong as it probably should have.
    Yeah Norrie and Evans are doing above average compared with most British men's tennis player over the recent history but I really don't see either of them becoming a Grand Slam champion.

Nadal takes 1st set v Mannarino 16-14 in a tie-break.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Nadal takes 1st set v Mannarino 16-14 in a tie-break.
    That was some tie break !!
    Good victory for Rafa but just can’t see him going much further. He is in a tough half of the draw.
    Zverev has just been hammered in straight sets by sShapopalov

I still expect Medvedev to come through in bottom half without too much difficulty

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    That was some tie break !!
    Good victory for Rafa but just can’t see him going much further. He is in a tough half of the draw.
    Zverev has just been hammered in straight sets by sShapopalov

I still expect Medvedev to come through in bottom half without too much difficulty
    Nadal's the highest-ranked player left in his half of the draw after Zverev's surprise exit. With the experience he has I wouldn't write him off although he'll find it tough against the much younger Shapovalov who definitely has the potential to be a major player.

I don't imagine retirement's too far down the road for Nadal given his long history of injuries so I'd love to see him win another Slam before he bows out.

Ash Barty through in the women's singles. I'd to see her win her home Slam.

Jamie Murray knocked out of the men's doubles unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Nadal's the highest-ranked player left in his half of the draw after Zverev's surprise exit. With the experience he has I wouldn't write him off although he'll find it tough against the much younger Shapovalov who definitely has the potential to be a major player.

I don't imagine retirement's too far down the road for Nadal given his long history of injuries so I'd love to see him win another Slam before he bows out.

Ash Barty through in the women's singles. I'd to see her win her home Slam.

Jamie Murray knocked out of the men's doubles unfortunately.
    Nadal won't have it easy against Shapovalov but this is by far Shapovalov's best run at the Australian Open. Nadal will definitely start as the favourite. Berrettini probably lies in wait in the semi finals and he will not be easy either.

If Nadal gets through Shapovalov, Berrettini and then probably Medvedev then it will be some achievement.

Rafa currently cruising in qf

Rafa loses 3D set and now looks like a beaten man.

Final set upcoming. Can’t see Rafa winning now

Fantastic win for Nadal. Looks like he might have sustained an injury during the match but he dug deep to come through.

Shapovalov smashung his racket at the end. Hugely frustrating for him but it's never good to see.

Sounds like a bit of a classic between Nadal and Shapovalov, with Nadal winning it in five sets to reach the semi finals.

He'll now play either Gael Monfils or Matteo Berrettini. I can't see past Berrettini for this one, I actually thought Monfils had retired years ago he seems to have been around forever.

Sounds like a bit of a classic between Nadal and Shapovalov, with Nadal winning it in five sets to reach the semi finals.

He'll now play either Gael Monfils or Matteo Berrettini. I can't see past Berrettini for this one, I actually thought Monfils had retired years ago he seems to have been around forever.
    Shapovalov basically bottled it in set 5. Unforced errors galore.
    Great for Rafa but will his body hold up ?

Incredible fourth game of the second set between Monfils and Berrettini - almost 20 minutes and 10 deuces. Finally won by Berrettini just to hold serve.

Some sets don't even last that long!

Monfils fighting back by winning the third set.

Berrettini leads two sets to one.

Going the distance between Monfils and Berrettini.

Brilliant match.

Berrettini steps it up again and the match now appears to be over as Berrettini secures a double break to go 3-0 up in the final set.