hibs.net Messageboard

3rd place and Europe

What’s the crack with 3rd place and supposed group stage qualification. I’ve looked but can’t find any definitive answers. Especially after what happened to us last year.

TYIA

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member hibee1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What’s the crack with 3rd place and supposed group stage qualification. I’ve looked but can’t find any definitive answers. Especially after what happened to us last year.

TYIA

It’s usually not decided till the end of the season as there’s so many moving parts that decide it like where this seasons CL, UL and UCL winners finish in their leagues.

This is a good profile to follow on Twitter that has all the low down https://twitter.com/scotlandscoeff1?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by hibee1875 View Post
    It’s usually not decided till the end of the season as there’s so many moving parts that decide it like where this seasons CL, UL and UCL winners finish in their leagues.

This is a good profile to follow on Twitter that has all the low down https://twitter.com/scotlandscoeff1?s=21
    Thanks. I’ve seen a few articles talking about gtd group stage football for third place 🤔

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    Thanks. I’ve seen a few articles talking about gtd group stage football for third place 🤔
    Thought 3rd place this season went straight into the Conference league group stages?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Thought 3rd place this season went straight into the Conference league group stages?
    I hope so mate as it seems fairer than the cup winner getting the spot in the group stages as I thought was happening this season?

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Nah. 3rd gets you Europa League Qualifying unless someone outside the top 3 win the cup.
    ]
    Lose that then I think you have 1 conference match before groups but if the huns and celtc do well in Europe after Jan it could change to right into the Conf' league.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Spence View Post
    I hope so mate as it seems fairer than the cup winner getting the spot in the group stages as I thought was happening this season?

It will stay the same if the Cup winner isn't the top three, like St Johnstone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Spence View Post

The cup winner getting priority is a UEFA rule. The cup winner goes into the Europa League playoff and 3rd will come in a round later in the Conference League than we did this season so would be 2 wins from the Groups.

Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    The cup winner getting priority is a UEFA rule. The cup winner goes into the Europa League playoff and 3rd will come in a round later in the Conference League than we did this season so would be 2 wins from the Groups.
    Cheers dav and 90+2
    I'm sure I read somewhere that uefa were trying to replacate the old cup winners cup as such with this conference league that's out now. Which isn't far off what they have done

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    yeah pretty sure this is correct.

Qualifying for 21/22 year was different in that it was the first season for Conference qualifiers and what was expected by various sources, a direct place in the Conference for a Scottish team, was changed late in the day by UEFA.

This season for 22/23 should be Cup Winner direct to the Europa League group play-off then drop to the Conference group stages if that tie is lost. However if Rangers or Celtic win the Cup (and finish 1/2 in the league) then think that Europa play-off place would then default to 3rd in the league ahead of Cup runner up

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/qual2022.html