hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abuse

@hibs.net private member

Abuse

First game tonight in about 2 years (2 young kid and a wife who works weekends)

I had forgotten how much abuse folk shouted at the players.

I was near the back of the West, and there was at least four guys who looked like they might burst with anger.

It's like folk forget there is actually another team on the park who are, surprisingly, not just going to allow Hibs to roll the ball into the net.

I get that it can get very frustrating at games but shouting abuse at the top of your lungs when you are at the back of the stand us just peeing off everyone around you. The players can't even hear you!

We should make the first 2 rows around the pitch designated abuse rows for folk who want the players to really hear them!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee316 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First game tonight in about 2 years (2 young kid and a wife who works weekends)

I had forgotten how much abuse folk shouted at the players.

I was near the back of the West, and there was at least four guys who looked like they might burst with anger.

It's like folk forget there is actually another team on the park who are, surprisingly, not just going to allow Hibs to roll the ball into the net.

I get that it can get very frustrating at games but shouting abuse at the top of your lungs when you are at the back of the stand us just peeing off everyone around you. The players can't even hear you!

We should make the first 2 rows around the pitch designated abuse rows for folk who want the players to really hear them!

It's widely accepted as part of the game, but that really needs to change.

We so often talk about professional players and staff needing 'thick skin', rather than focusing on those that shout abuse, write horrible things online, and generally overreact when they think a footballer isn't good enough. It's truly bizzare that it's just considered part and parcel of professional sport.

In most other industries, the kind of behaviours that happen on a daily basis in our treatment of footballers would be considered scandalous. And rightly so.

I genuinely believe it's one of those things we'll look back on in 10/15 years and think 'wow, we were so out of touch'.

The abuse and booing was embarassing.

If Cove never had luck on their side and we had semi capable refs we would have been at least 1-0 up through Doidge and potentially 2 when he was through on goal. Wrong offsides saved them and would have made it a lot more comfortable.

It was always going to be a tough game, I don’t know why people think differently.

I mentioned on the match day thread that fans always moan about players and say they need to show composure, how about the fans show some too?

It was like spoilt brats the amount they were booing or if the players never launched it forward.

You could actually see a period in the game the players were starting to go away from what Maloney wanted because of the fans and funnily enough that’s when Cove had their best spell.

Maloney was seen telling Newell to ignore them and it will work and it did.

It took far longer than what I should of but we missed some amount of chances.

Never boo Hibs. It's not going to help them play better.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Some of our fans are a bit pathetic likes

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    The abuse and booing was embarassing.

If Cove never had luck on their side and we had semi capable refs we would have been at least 1-0 up through Doidge and potentially 2 when he was through on goal. Wrong offsides saved them and would have made it a lot more comfortable.

It was always going to be a tough game, I don’t know why people think differently.

I mentioned on the match day thread that fans always moan about players and say they need to show composure, how about the fans show some too?

It was like spoilt brats the amount they were booing or if the players never launched it forward.

You could actually see a period in the game the players were starting to go away from what Maloney wanted because of the fans and funnily enough that’s when Cove had their best spell.

Maloney was seen telling Newell to ignore them and it will work and it did.

It took far longer than what I should of but we missed some amount of chances.
    I can only comment from 2 years previous, but there were always folk around me shouting abuse regardless of how or who we played.

Just angry folk who can't see the effect of their behaviour of all the folk around them.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post

We so often talk about professional players and staff needing 'thick skin', rather than focusing on those that shout abuse, write horrible things online, and generally overreact when they think a footballer isn't good enough. It's truly bizzare that it's just considered part and parcel of professional sport.

In most other industries, the kind of behaviours that happen on a daily basis in our treatment of footballers would be considered scandalous. And rightly so.

I genuinely believe it's one of those things we'll look back on in 10/15 years and think 'wow, we were so out of touch'.
    It’s mad. Clearly the players heard it - Nisbet put his fingers in his ears when he scored.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!

Some of this is caused by the huge financial disparity between football players and paying fans. Especially in the major leagues, you are talking about football players being paid more in a week than some people earn in 5 years (or more).

I genuinely only see it getting worse in the future. I wouldn't shout abuse but if I supported PSG and saw Messi lose the ball and not look bothered I'd be raging inside knowing that he'd be earning €500,000 that week.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Worst and least warranted I've heard for a long time. I wonder what these clowns would have done had we lumped the ball aimlessly up the park like they seemed to want.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Worst and least warranted I've heard for a long time. I wonder what these clowns would have done had we lumped the ball aimlessly up the park like they seemed to want.
    I shouted a couple of times for the Hibs players to pass it backwards... don't think I helped a few peoples blood pressure.

I noticed as well during that spell

When the players started listening to the ‘noise’

Maloney I’m sure he said something along lines of keep the ball ignore the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Never boo Hibs. It's not going to help them play better.
    Many’s a time I’ve shouted “ah cmon that’s rubbish” or whatever but “supporters” who actually personally abuse their own players and boo their team during a game are one of life’s huge mysteries?

It’s the fact you know that some of them start within seconds of the game starting - they know they’re going to do it, they get their kicks from doing it and yet they stand there with a Hibs scarve on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    We were lumping it aimlessly some of the time.

It was obvious to me that there was no lack of effort from the players tonight. Don't really know what good these so called supporters think booing and shouting abuse is going to achieve. Well done to the team for being professional and getting the job done.

@hibs.net private member
    I've always found it odd that folk shout abuse at players for making mistakes, when not a single one of them would last 2 minutes playing on a pitch.

Why shout abuse at someone for not doing something perfectly, that you can't even do at all? Nout weird as folk...

@hibs.net private member
    Gimps

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    There have been threads in the past where topic of abuse has arisen and term was clarified - was justified by a small number over the years.

To those abusing Hibs players I suggest you watch a dyed in the wool Hibee (one of our own) Joe Tortolano talk of his experience - it was available via St Pats at one stage not sure if it’s still online. It’s one of the worst cases of abuse in my mind. I distinctly recall (at an away game at EEP or St Johnstone where Callum Milne was so disgusted he slammed the ball against the hoardings in frustration at a section of our own support. Shocking.

if you can watch that and still stand up for your actions when you see the impact it had, then you probably need to take a long hard look at yourself.
    Last edited by Viva_Palmeiras; 20-01-2022 at 10:32 PM.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    There have been threads in the past where topic of abuse has arisen and term was clarified - was justified by a small number over the years.

To those abusing Hibs players I suggest you watch a dyed in the wool Hibee (one of our own) Joe Tortolano talk of his experience - it was available via St Pats at one stage not sure if it’s still online. It’s one of the worst cases of abuse in my mind. I distinctly recall (at an away game at EEP or St Johnstone where Callum Milne was so disgusted he slammed the ball against the hoardings in frustration at a section of our own support. Shocking.

if you can watch that and still stand up for your actions when you see the impact it had, then you probably need to take a long hard look at yourself.
    The game you referred to was indeed at East End Park but the worst incident was at Tannadice where Joe was booed in the warm up when his name was read out on the tannoy.

One I’ll never forget was literally 5 seconds after the 1st game of the season(Stirling Albion away) started 3/4 years back and a guy launched into a huge tirade of abuse at the top of his voice on Steven Whittaker who hadn’t even touched the ball yet. A League Cup winner.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar

Goodness me.
    The crowd shouting and getting worked up is part of the game at all levels and it has been since the game was invented, it’s called atmosphere.
    If we ever get to the stage that fans are told exactly what they can and can’t say at a game we might as well call it a day.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Some of this is caused by the huge financial disparity between football players and paying fans. Especially in the major leagues, you are talking about football players being paid more in a week than some people earn in 5 years (or more).

I genuinely only see it getting worse in the future. I wouldn't shout abuse but if I supported PSG and saw Messi lose the ball and not look bothered I'd be raging inside knowing that he'd be earning €500,000 that week.

Yes but that doesn’t apply at our club does it?

Some of our ‘supporters’ need to have a serious word with themselves. The abuse both at ER and on the socials is absolutely pathetic.

Was ridiculous tonight. Helps no one

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    Goodness me.
    The crowd shouting and getting worked up is part of the game at all levels and it has been since the game was invented, it’s called atmosphere.
    If we ever get to the stage that fans are told exactly what they can and can’t say at a game we might as well call it a day.
    Quite a leap from 'abuse shouldn't be normalised in football' to 'fans being told what they can and can't say'.

Abusing players and staff isn't atmosphere, it's the opposite.
    Last edited by Vault Boy; 21-01-2022 at 12:04 AM.

We had different seats tonight nearer the half way line and there was a woman behind us who basically just screamed constantly. She just sounded really unhappy to be there for the majority of the game.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Helps nobody and given the fact fans haven't been able to attend matches recently you'd think some would have more of an appreciation of being able to watch Hibs. Booing your own team and players doesn't make them play better.

Cowards with no bottle. You wouldn’t want any of those soft lads behind you in a fight.
    It’s been our reputation for years. Keep it even for half an hour and the Hibs fans will get on their players backs. Hartley said as much in his interview.

It was pretty embarrassing tonight. I bet these people salivate over their favourite champions league team who's main objective is to keep the ball until they can find a way through their opponents instead of losing it by lumping it forward. Yet when it's Hibs it's the exact opposite, just lump it and stop messing about!
    It was a bit slow tonight and we played like we'd just been flung together (which is kind of true) but you can see the general direction we're heading in.
    People will always moan though, and hopefully once we have a settled team who are all on board, the moaning will once again be a minor issue

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    It’s mad. Clearly the players heard it - Nisbet put his fingers in his ears when he scored.
    I put my fingers over my eyes at his sitter on Monday.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It was pretty embarrassing tonight. I bet these people salivate over their favourite champions league team who's main objective is to keep the ball until they can find a way through their opponents instead of losing it by lumping it forward. Yet when it's Hibs it's the exact opposite, just lump it and stop messing about!
    It was a bit slow tonight and we played like we'd just been flung together (which is kind of true) but you can see the general direction we're heading in.
    People will always moan though, and hopefully once we have a settled team who are all on board, the moaning will once again be a minor issue
    Worryingly a lot of these guys moaning and shouting abuse see hibs as their Scottish team but are equally as passionate about an epl team. I see it on Twitter all the time, guys who are hibs fans but post all the time about Man City and Chelsea. I’ve no interest in the premiership down south but I fear that my generation are the last to feel that way and it won’t be long before hibs are most Scottish fans second club.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Worryingly a lot of these guys moaning and shouting abuse see hibs as their Scottish team but are equally as passionate about an epl team. I see it on Twitter all the time, guys who are hibs fans but post all the time about Man City and Chelsea. I’ve no interest in the premiership down south but I fear that my generation are the last to feel that way and it won’t be long before hibs are most Scottish fans second club.
    What a load of pish.