hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70

Favourite other sports event

What's been your favourite event you've attended?

For me it's hard to beat Arthur v Gomez at Meadowbank. Atmosphere and fight was amazing.

Been at a few US sports events Baseball, NBA etc and whilst great from a family experience just don't have that level of intensity.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Wimbledon without any doubt whatsoever for me.

I still remember the first time I entered Centre Court and look around me at the Royal box etc and watched Roger Federer, Andy Murray and Rafael Nadal in the flesh, I was like a child on Christmas morning (and I was in my 20s by this point!).

Ally Pally for the darts, not been for a few years and doubt it's such an enjoyable experience now with the English fans behaving in their current manner, I hope I'm wrong but, I can see it kicking off at one of this year's PL nights.

Meant to say, I was at the boxing in the OP too, it was certainly quite tasty! 😀
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 06-01-2022 at 07:50 PM.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's been your favourite event you've attended?

For me it's hard to beat Arthur v Gomez at Meadowbank. Atmosphere and fight was amazing.

Been at a few US sports events Baseball, NBA etc and whilst great from a family experience just don't have that level of intensity.
    Good choice, I still maintain to this day that fight was the best/nastiest atmosphere I've been in, London Road on the way home way total carnage as well

@hibs.net private member
    Joe Calzage v Jeff Lacy - nothing will ever get close to that.

Arthur v Gomez was insane. The roof just about came off when Arthur started his ring walk. I liked Gomez so wasn't all that disappointed with the result, albeit I wanted Arthur to win. My abiding memory of whilst the rest of the Gomez corner was celebrating, Ricky Hatton went straight over to check on Arthur. Always respected that.

Another boxing highlight was the Burns v Martinez fight. Another unbelievable atmosphere.

I love trips to Cheltenham. Not the best venue in the world. It's a bit too busy, sight lines aren't great etc etc but the atmosphere for festival week is something else. Highlight was probably when Kauto Star regained the Gold Cup in 2009.

I've been to 2 NFL games. Dolphins v Jets at Wembley which was a poor game and I wasn't blown away by the atmosphere either. The mix of different fans was a bit too eclectic for my taste. On the flip side I went to a Dolphins v Colts game in 1998 in Miami and that was amazing. The 2 QBs were Peyton Manning and Dan Marino, whilst neither were really at their peak in 98 it was still watching 2 all time greats at work. On the same trip I went to the Orange Bowl to see the Hurricanes, an absolute dump of a stadium but the atmosphere was out of this world.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Seen dolphins player raiders at Wembley - good to see the fins for the first time but aye, as PB said, atmosphere nothing special.

Basketball wasn’t a sport I was into at the time but seen the rockets play twice in Houston and also the Mavs in Dallas and really enjoyed it. American sports experience very different (I was getting annoyed at people doing waves and happy chants while getting pumped 😂) as touched upon but still a very good night out.

Boxing seems to be a common theme - but it’s never a sport I’ve had any real desire to go and see, albeit I only watch the odd fight on the tv as it is. Would like to go to the tennis (against the grain, not particularly at Wimbledon although would settle for that too).

Been to the open (golf) a number of times at different courses but I think if I somehow got to Augusta that would be my pick for this thread!

Open golf for me too. Used to love watching Greg Norman. Was a bit like following Hibs in that he should have won more cups (majors) than he did.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Wales v Scotland in the five nations around the turn of the century was an amazing weekend. Due to the Millennium Stadium being built, Wales were playing at Wembley. The whole of London seemed to be full of Welsh /Scots. Can't remember much about the game itself, but that was secondary to the shenanigans!

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    The Ashes in 2019. Was at Edgbaston (hospitality) and Old Trafford.

Very much the Steve Smith Show, not to diminish the achievements and efforts of the others on the pitch. He averaged 144.75 over four innings.

It was one of those all-too-fleeting moments when you and anyone else watching, just knew - just knew - you were witnessing one man, in a team sport, completely transcending the level of all his peers, who themselves were amongst some of the very best in the world at what they did. Add to that a fantastic atmosphere at both matches (Edgbaston in particular)

On a rather different note (though still one of witnesssing a legendary player), i saw Jaromir Jagr playing for Kladno, in the Czech Republic, a couple of years back. This was where he started his career more than thirty years ago in ice hockey, before leaving for huge success in the NHL. Simply put, he is one of the all-time greats of ice hockey and if he isn't the greatest non-Canadian to ever play the sport I'm struggling to think of anyone who could stake as legitimate a claim. As it stands he is in the top handful of players regardless of birth nation.

Anway, he finished up after a very lengthy spell in the NHL with trophy cabinets and display cupboards galore and returned to Kladno, where he is player/owner and pretty much a god, yet crucially still able to play at the level he is at. The atmosphere was fantastic when i saw him, from start to finish, admittedly in front of an obviously partisan crowd. As far as I'm aware he is still going strong despite turning 50 in a month or so.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Le Classique at Le Velodrome.

I like golf live, although I've never actually bothered to go and watch much of it.

Last time I went was to Carnoustie a few years back. I'd actually always been a bit underwhelmed by the whole Tiger Woods thing - by that time he'd been in the doldrums for some time, always seemed to be "on his way back" and received a disproportionate amount of coverage considering how off the pace he often seemed to be. That week he was in contention until pretty late (may even have led during the last round) and there was just something magnificent about sensing the presence of someone like that in their arena. Obviously he then went on to win a couple more tournaments, including a major, and I went from being someone who was pretty indifferent about him to someone who was very much rooting for him.

It's funny how someone can have "a presence" just by quietly playing golf and it was cool to witness it.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    My partner has started to take part in stone lifting competitions and I love going to watch her in them. There was one a couple of months ago and it was a great day despite it being very small scale - pipers, great competition, a real sense of camaraderie between competitors (one, who is Scotland's second strongest woman was giving my partner all sorts of tips and advice throughout) and some really impressive lifting.

It's ultimately very Scottish and much more enjoyable than the larger sporting events which more and more feel like you're buying a ticket to be advertised to and you see less and less sport for your money each time.

Similarly I love the BTCC at Knockhill and even some of the SMRC events are fantastic. It still retains a proper old school feeling, Knockhill.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Been to a few Opens but my first at Troon in 89 was probably my favourite. Mostly because it was easier to skive in back then
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

On a rather different note (though still one of witnesssing a legendary player), i saw Jaromir Jagr playing for Kladno, in the Czech Republic, a couple of years back. This was where he started his career more than thirty years ago in ice hockey, before leaving for huge success in the NHL. Simply put, he is one of the all-time greats of ice hockey and if he isn't the greatest non-Canadian to ever play the sport I'm struggling to think of anyone who could stake as legitimate a claim. As it stands he is in the top handful of players regardless of birth nation.

Anway, he finished up after a very lengthy spell in the NHL with trophy cabinets and display cupboards galore and returned to Kladno, where he is player/owner and pretty much a god, yet crucially still able to play at the level he is at. The atmosphere was fantastic when i saw him, from start to finish, admittedly in front of an obviously partisan crowd. As far as I'm aware he is still going strong despite turning 50 in a month or so.
    Ovi?

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    The Ashes in 2019. Was at Edgbaston (hospitality) and Old Trafford.

Very much the Steve Smith Show, not to diminish the achievements and efforts of the others on the pitch. He averaged 144.75 over four innings.

It was one of those all-too-fleeting moments when you and anyone else watching, just knew - just knew - you were witnessing one man, in a team sport, completely transcending the level of all his peers, who themselves were amongst some of the very best in the world at what they did. Add to that a fantastic atmosphere at both matches (Edgbaston in particular)

That's a cool hockey story from someone just before my time! I'm nae expert but I think some would argue Ovechkin above him for the non-canadian title.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Ovi?
    And I've just realised this probably means Alexander Ovechkin and you beat me too it

Being in the Hydro see Charlie Flynn and Josh Taylor take Gold for Scotland in the Commonwealth boxing finals was pretty special. As was returning to the Hydro to see Taylor win his first world title. I have tickets for his next fight in February, looking forward to it immensely.

The ICC Trophy Cricket final between India and Pakistan at the Oval was a real eye opener. The game itself was a bit of a damp squib but the tension between the non-segregated sets of supporters was something else, they really don't like each other. . I avoided answering any questions as to who I was supporting by saying I'd only bought tickets in the mistaken belief that Scotland could qualify.
    Last edited by marinello59; 07-01-2022 at 01:11 PM.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Open for me especially in Scotland. Some of my happiest memories were stewarding the 4th hole once as a jnr when Faldo won it & the 2nd time when Ernie Else won. Getting so close to the biggest names in the world (especially when doing the tee)..Also loved trips to St Andrews & Troon but they were more bevy sessions with mates and less golf watched.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Golf for me too - was at St Andrews when Seve won in 1984, in the stand on the 17th watching through binoculars him play the 18th. Was also at the 18th at Muirfield when Tom Watson won in 1980. Tended to aim for a stand on the final day and stay there, but follow groups on the earlier days. That includes Norman at Turnberry in 1986 (scorching) and Woods at Muirfield (don't recall if that was 2013 or 2002, but it was pouring and windy and Woods just looked lost in the conditions).
    ​#PERSEVERED

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    And I've just realised this probably means Alexander Ovechkin and you beat me too it
    Haha yes, I mean ovechkin!

First Team Breakthrough
    Unsurprisingly for me but it has to be the Cheltenham festival for me, has a buzz like no other, too many great days to remember, One Man Kauto Star Sprinter Sacre but will never forget 50,000 people gasping as Annie Power fell at the last to almost certainly win the Mares hurdle, almost silence as Glens Melody passed the line, Annie was last of the 4 hotpots to run that day for Willie Mullins and the bookies faced losing a fortune!! Actually had a fiver on the winner.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Once stood no more than five yards away watching Tony Drago play in a match against someone in a non-descript tournament at what is now the Ballroom in Meadowbank. I could almost reach out and touch greatness.

I don’t get out much 😢

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    5/6 nations rugby. The greatest annual international sporting event in the world. From the schoolboy enclosure when I was young to being at games in Murrayfield, Cardiff, Dublin and Rome as an adult it is still exciting, friendly, fun and an experience every time.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McSwanky View Post
    Wales v Scotland in the five nations around the turn of the century was an amazing weekend. Due to the Millennium Stadium being built, Wales were playing at Wembley. The whole of London seemed to be full of Welsh /Scots. Can't remember much about the game itself, but that was secondary to the shenanigans!
    That was some weekend, from what I can remember.

Another boxing shout for me. Lewis v Bruno in Cardiff followed by Benn v Eubank 2 at Old Trafford is a week that’ll take some beating. More recently, Taylor beating Prograis in London was brilliant. The after party was great. Thought my mate was going to pull Prograis’ mum 🤣
    Last edited by Frazerbob; 08-01-2022 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    That's a cool hockey story from someone just before my time! I'm nae expert but I think some would argue Ovechkin above him for the non-canadian title.
    Had the pleasure of watching Ovechkin when I was at Leafs v Capitals in Toronto 5 or so years years ago. You just knew you were in the presence of a sporting great.
    Last edited by Frazerbob; 08-01-2022 at 11:28 AM.

Josh Taylor vs Baranczyk (Inoue on the undercard) in Glasgow and then against Prograis in London. Outstanding atmosphere at both.

Scotland beating England 15-9 at murrayfield in 08.

Open at Turnberry, gutted Tom Watson couldn’t see it through, would’ve been one of the biggest sporting results ever. Also love the open at Muirfield, really good access to the players and a really good setup for spectators!

Left by mutual consent!
    Le Mans
    Baseball (game 7 vs Cubs was nuts..though we lost)

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Josh Taylor vs Baranczyk (Inoue on the undercard) in Glasgow and then against Prograis in London. Outstanding atmosphere at both.

Scotland beating England 15-9 at murrayfield in 08.

Open at Turnberry, gutted Tom Watson couldn’t see it through, would’ve been one of the biggest sporting results ever. Also love the open at Muirfield, really good access to the players and a really good setup for spectators!
    That Taylor fight was superb. And Inoue is a different level. Always surprises me he isn't featured higher on the world lb for lb lists but I suppose the lighter weights do get unfairly overlooked.