Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Scran

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Anyone got a Scottish stovies recipe ? Good food for the cold months ahead

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Corned beef hash. Fry some corned beef in butter with chopped onions. Add baked beans once the onions are nearly soft and keep stirring until the tomato sauce has reduced. Add lots of freshly ground pepper and enjoy.
    I normally slow cook mine but will defo give this way a try

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Anyone got a Scottish stovies recipe ? Good food for the cold months ahead
    I’m sure there was a whole thread dedicated to stovies on here within the last couple of years - maybe give it a search 👍

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Some great slow cooker recipes if you have access to one:

My favourite is a Brazilian chicken curry.

1 kg Chicken breast
    Red onion
    Can of coconut milk
    Zest and juice of 1 lime
    Heaps of tumeric
    Heaps of peanut butter
    Salt
    Pepper
    A chicken stock cube
    Good pinch of chilli flakes
    Good dod of garlic
    Cornflour to thicken

6 hours on high and serve with rice.
    Got this in the slow cooker now for tomorrow. Cannot wait smells superb

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    At the risk of sliding off HibbyAndys original post, for those interested in the chicken wing and Brazilian chicken curry recipes you should look up Malagueta Chicken kebab recipes.
    I came across it by accident when I was looking for regional recipes when the World Cup was on (I cook a dish from each country as the tournament plays out) and this dish from Brazil is one of my go to BBQ scrans.
    It starts off similar to a Portuguese piri piri, no surprise given the links to Brazil, but the honey/mustard/vinegar glaze is next level.
    Serve with ice cold Brahma.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Corned beef hash. Fry some corned beef in butter with chopped onions. Add baked beans once the onions are nearly soft and keep stirring until the tomato sauce has reduced. Add lots of freshly ground pepper and enjoy.
    Love that.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    That sounds great. I’m just thinking of the Corn beef hash I’ve had in the past, does it usually have potato in it? Ir am I imagining that? Always felt like it was an anglicised version of stovies when I’ve had it before.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    My corned beef hash is boiled potatoes, fried onions and chopped corned beef, all mashed together then placed in a large Pyrex dish, the top finished with a fork leaving nice deep grooves then placed in the oven until top is nice and crispy. Served with baked beans and lashings of HP sauce, the same recipe my parents used,loved it as a kid and still do.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    If you ever fancy a bit of a project for a rainy day, I used a day in lockdown last January to make a Berlin style doner from scratch - bread and all.

Bread recipe here: https://sortedfood.com/recipe/10289
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNChsYNpV0U - This guy has four videos on how to make it. I don't have a fancy enough bread maker for the bread recipe in this so I use the above one.

Made the sauces, got the salad done nicely and served with a really good smoked German beer. Really enjoyed making it, and it was absolutely delicious.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    At the risk of sliding off HibbyAndys original post, for those interested in the chicken wing and Brazilian chicken curry recipes you should look up Malagueta Chicken kebab recipes.
    I came across it by accident when I was looking for regional recipes when the World Cup was on (I cook a dish from each country as the tournament plays out) and this dish from Brazil is one of my go to BBQ scrans.
    It starts off similar to a Portuguese piri piri, no surprise given the links to Brazil, but the honey/mustard/vinegar glaze is next level.
    👍🏼

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Just battered and deep fried some large gherkins sliced length ways into four, a bit of salt and chipotle dip……lovely.
    I've had this before and it is excellent

Can you give us a quick and easy German fried potato recipe?

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    Can you give us a quick and easy German fried potato recipe?
    Boil your spuds for 10 minutes then drain the water. After they've cooled down chop them into slices about 4mm thick. Add a couple of table spoons of butter to a frying pan and fry some diced bacon and diced onion until the onion is soft then add the sliced potatoes. The trick is to fry low and slow, medium heat for at least 40 minutes turning the spuds about 4 times and adding salt and pepper. They're ready when about 2/3 of the spuds are brown and crispy.

Boil your spuds for 10 minutes then drain the water. After they've cooled down chop them into slices about 4mm thick. Add a couple of table spoons of butter to a frying pan and fry some diced bacon and diced onion until the onion is soft then add the sliced potatoes. The trick is to fry low and slow, medium heat for at least 40 minutes turning the spuds about 4 times and adding salt and pepper. They're ready when about 2/3 of the spuds are brown and crispy.
    Smashing, cheers. I'll give that a whirl, made them before but didn't taste nearly as good as the ones I've had in Germany

@hibs.net private member
    Spam pieces, thickly sliced tinned spam, grilled until crispy and slapped between a couple of slabs of buttered plain bread with pepper and brown sauce, delicious

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Got this in the slow cooker now for tomorrow. Cannot wait smells superb
    How did it go?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    My corned beef hash is boiled potatoes, fried onions and chopped corned beef, all mashed together then placed in a large Pyrex dish, the top finished with a fork leaving nice deep grooves then placed in the oven until top is nice and crispy. Served with baked beans and lashings of HP sauce, the same recipe my parents used,loved it as a kid and still do.
    That’s how I’d do it too, but Hibrandenbergs version does sound good.

Mix diced chicken thigh or breast with yogurt, garlic, harissa, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Fry that off in a nearly dry pan with some onion and a squeeze of lemon and use it to top a flatbread with a bit of salad and a drizzle of yoghurt.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    That’s how I’d do it too, but Hibrandenbergs version does sound good.
    My cooking skills have been finely tuned on the battle field, eat at your own risk

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    That sounds absolutely bangin, getting on that tomorrow.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    How did it go?
    Delicious. I added some smaller chillis which cranked up the heat a bit. Served it with rice & corn on the cob. Got a 8.5/10 from the mrs! Happy days

Left by mutual consent!
    I have started using my Pressure King Pro a lot more recently, does anybody have one of these (or an Instant Pot)?

I love combining the frying function which you can start off some tasty rice or pasta meals by sauteing onions/garlic/peppers etc.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
    I have started using my Pressure King Pro a lot more recently, does anybody have one of these (or an Instant Pot)?

I love combining the frying function which you can start off some tasty rice or pasta meals by sauteing onions/garlic/peppers etc.
    I’ve got one of them (PKP) and I barely use it. Can’t even say why as every time I do use it, I’m always happy with the results. Lucky if I’ve used it 5 times.

Some great slow cooker recipes if you have access to one:

My favourite is a Brazilian chicken curry.

1 kg Chicken breast
    Red onion
    Can of coconut milk
    Zest and juice of 1 lime
    Heaps of tumeric
    Heaps of peanut butter
    Salt
    Pepper
    A chicken stock cube
    Good pinch of chilli flakes
    Good dod of garlic
    Cornflour to thicken

6 hours on high and serve with rice.
    I really enjoyed this btw, will defo add it to our rotation.

Salt and chilli chicken nuggets and potato waffles

Glad the Brazilian chicken went down so well: believe it or not it’s not my recipe 😂

It’s from the High Protein handbook which you can download for a tenner or something: or pay £25 and there’s another half a dozen books with it. It’s all nutritionally balanced meals for health kicks or training. Or eating, doesn’t matter 😂

Sir Alex Ferguson

Bit of a one pot traybake this one but always goes down well:

Boneless chicken thighs
    Chorizo (ideally the cooking stuff) cut into approx 3cm cubes
    Par boiled baby new potatoes (cut in half)
    Two red onions
    Oregano
    Zest and juice of one orange
    Garlic
    Salt
    Pepper
    Olive Oil

Cook in the oven low and slow, giving a good mix up every so often so everything gets coated in the orange and the chorizo oil.

Anyone ever had Flying Jacob? Really really tasty casserole style dish with chicken, bacon and bananas.

It was my grannies funeral on monday; she introduced it to me and I'd love to make it but my wife can't eat bananas. Big old dish to make just for myself

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post

I've had a Tefal Cook4Me for a while and never use the pre programmed recipe, I find it more useful for preparing an element of a dish with little washing up.

I used it to make a nice ragut with beef and pork for a lasagne the other night, made a bechamel on the stove and just layered it from there. Two pots to clean up, pressure cooked the sauce for a bit to break down the tomato and reduced it down so it was good and flavourful.

I find the best way to get good midweek scran is to plan and think ahead. Sunday I had lasagne (which I browned the meat for and assembled on the Saturday) and whilst that was heating up on Sunday, I diced some chicken thighs and made a basic curry paste and put two thirds of the chicken in to marinate. Cooked the curry last night with leftovers for lunch, but also made what will be the filling for a chicken and leek pie, so will just need to put in pastry and cook tonight.

When that’s cooking, I’ll make a basic lentil and veg bolognaise to put in the fridge, reheat and add to pasta tomorrow night.

I use the freezer a lot too so there’s always good basic ingredients to defrost and cook with, but doing half of the work the night before whilst your tea is cooking means you have much better food to look forward to.