hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 155

Thread: Best Scran

  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Penicuik
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,586

    Best Scran

    Chilli taco's
    Bacon baguette done in air fryer
    Eggs made in the George foreman grill

    Looking for a change as I eat the same things all the time

    What's everyone else's best scran ?


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    16,525
    Good chicken wings are very easy to do.

    Dab them dry with a paper towel.

    Dry rub of salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, onion and garlic powder.

    Give them a light spray of cooking spray

    Put into an oven at 160C for twenty minutes (line your baking sheet)

    Turn

    Same again for twenty minutes

    In the meantime, put in half a bottle of Frank's Hot Sauce and a of tablespoon of salted butter in a pan and gently heat until made into a buffalo wings sauce

    Take the wings out (give them three or four minutes at the highest temp if you want some gnarly charred bits)

    Toss them in the sauce

    Done.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 04-01-2022 at 07:24 AM.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Penicuik
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good chicken wings are very easy to do.

    Dab them dry with a paper towel.

    Dry rub of salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, onion and garlic powder.

    Give them a light spray of cooking spray

    Put into an oven at 160C for twenty minutes (line your baking sheet)

    Turn

    Same again for twenty minutes

    In the meantime, put in half a bottle of Frank's Hot Sauce and a couple of tablespoons of salted butter in a pan and gently heat until made into a buffalo wings sauce

    Take the wings out (give them three or four minutes at the highest temp if you want some gnarly charred bits)

    Toss them in the sauce

    Done.
    That sounds amazingly tasty ! Will definitely try that 🙂

  5. #4
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    16,525
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That sounds amazingly tasty ! Will definitely try that 🙂
    Home made lasagne is also very easy and can be prepared the night before, make a bolognaise type sauce (I use a mix of a small tray of beef mince and the inside of three or four pork sausages crumbled and browned with the beef). If you make it the night before you donít even need to pre cook the pasta sheets, just layer it up.

    Cook for the first while covered in foil then add cheese and finish until browned.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good chicken wings are very easy to do.

    Dab them dry with a paper towel.

    Dry rub of salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, onion and garlic powder.

    Give them a light spray of cooking spray

    Put into an oven at 160C for twenty minutes (line your baking sheet)

    Turn

    Same again for twenty minutes

    In the meantime, put in half a bottle of Frank's Hot Sauce and a couple of tablespoons of salted butter in a pan and gently heat until made into a buffalo wings sauce

    Take the wings out (give them three or four minutes at the highest temp if you want some gnarly charred bits)

    Toss them in the sauce

    Done.
    Chicken in buffalo sauce is lovely! Had nice wings like that as a starter for a pub meal recently and they were the best part of the meal.

    Never occurred to me to try and make them myself.

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    29
    Posts
    14,556
    Home made fish and chips for us tonight, absolutely banging. Even better in panko breadcrumbs but the wife prefers golden.

    Garden peas need to be Hibs green - anything else is overdone, a good rule of thumb for cooking any green veg - and finished with butter.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I donít think thereís a better football celebration ever in the game.Ē

    Sir Alex Ferguson

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    29
    Posts
    14,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good chicken wings are very easy to do.

    Dab them dry with a paper towel.

    Dry rub of salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, onion and garlic powder.

    Give them a light spray of cooking spray

    Put into an oven at 160C for twenty minutes (line your baking sheet)

    Turn

    Same again for twenty minutes

    In the meantime, put in half a bottle of Frank's Hot Sauce and a couple of tablespoons of salted butter in a pan and gently heat until made into a buffalo wings sauce

    Take the wings out (give them three or four minutes at the highest temp if you want some gnarly charred bits)

    Toss them in the sauce

    Done.
    Aw man, that sounds amazing.

    My wife hates chicken on the bone in any format so if I go for something like this theyíre all mine.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I donít think thereís a better football celebration ever in the game.Ē

    Sir Alex Ferguson

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    29
    Posts
    14,556
    Some great slow cooker recipes if you have access to one:

    My favourite is a Brazilian chicken curry.

    1 kg Chicken breast
    Red onion
    Can of coconut milk
    Zest and juice of 1 lime
    Heaps of tumeric
    Heaps of peanut butter
    Salt
    Pepper
    A chicken stock cube
    Good pinch of chilli flakes
    Good dod of garlic
    Cornflour to thicken

    6 hours on high and serve with rice.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I donít think thereís a better football celebration ever in the game.Ē

    Sir Alex Ferguson

  10. #9
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    51
    Posts
    19,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aw man, that sounds amazing.

    My wife hates chicken on the bone in any format so if I go for something like this theyíre all mine.
    I agree with her, I'm a breast man 😲

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    4,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some great slow cooker recipes if you have access to one:

    My favourite is a Brazilian chicken curry.

    1 kg Chicken breast
    Red onion
    Can of coconut milk
    Zest and juice of 1 lime
    Heaps of tumeric
    Heaps of peanut butter
    Salt
    Pepper
    A chicken stock cube
    Good pinch of chilli flakes
    Good dod of garlic
    Cornflour to thicken

    6 hours on high and serve with rice.
    Liking this!
    cým fallain

  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some great slow cooker recipes if you have access to one:

    My favourite is a Brazilian chicken curry.

    1 kg Chicken breast
    Red onion
    Can of coconut milk
    Zest and juice of 1 lime
    Heaps of tumeric
    Heaps of peanut butter
    Salt
    Pepper
    A chicken stock cube
    Good pinch of chilli flakes
    Good dod of garlic
    Cornflour to thicken

    6 hours on high and serve with rice.
    I thought about contributing to this thread pointing out that a slow cooker is a friend! I donít do a lot of cooking really, but I did a chilli recently in the SC and it went down extremely well with the missus!

    While I wouldnít turn down chicken on the bone.. I do get your wifeís point. Itís preferable being able to eat everything in front of you rather than gnaw round bits 👍

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some great slow cooker recipes if you have access to one:

    My favourite is a Brazilian chicken curry.

    1 kg Chicken breast
    Red onion
    Can of coconut milk
    Zest and juice of 1 lime
    Heaps of tumeric
    Heaps of peanut butter
    Salt
    Pepper
    A chicken stock cube
    Good pinch of chilli flakes
    Good dod of garlic
    Cornflour to thicken

    6 hours on high and serve with rice.
    Doing this for Saturday tea but - when you say good dod and heaps of - can you be a bit clearer?

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South Gyle
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some great slow cooker recipes if you have access to one:

    My favourite is a Brazilian chicken curry.

    1 kg Chicken breast
    Red onion
    Can of coconut milk
    Zest and juice of 1 lime
    Heaps of tumeric
    Heaps of peanut butter
    Salt
    Pepper
    A chicken stock cube
    Good pinch of chilli flakes
    Good dod of garlic
    Cornflour to thicken

    6 hours on high and serve with rice.
    How does the chicken turn out with this? Anytime Iíve put chicken breast in the slow cooker it has gone stringy.

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    29
    Posts
    14,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doing this for Saturday tea but - when you say good dod and heaps of - can you be a bit clearer?
    Of course 😅

    I have the recipe saved in my texts, I can remember the ingredients but not the quantities:

    1 red onion
    100 grams peanut butter
    Zest and juice of one lime
    10 grams of garlic
    15 grams of chilli flakes
    1 chicken stock cube
    1 can coconut milk
    1 tbsp Tumeric
    1 tbsp Cornflour

    I always put in more tumeric and chilli than the recipes calls for.

    I did try it with chicken legs a couple of weeks or so ago but it was ****. So breast all the way (ooh er).

    Thatís for 1kg of breast which has fed 4 adults and 3 kids previously.
    Last edited by Jones28; 04-01-2022 at 08:33 AM.

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    29
    Posts
    14,556
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How does the chicken turn out with this? Anytime Iíve put chicken breast in the slow cooker it has gone stringy.
    It goes pulled pork style, which I quite like. Like I said above, I tried with on the bone chicken the other day and it wasnít good, too much fat and juice came out the bones and killed the flavours.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I donít think thereís a better football celebration ever in the game.Ē

    Sir Alex Ferguson

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course 😅

    I have the recipe saved in my texts, I can remember the ingredients but not the quantities:

    1 red onion
    100 grams peanut butter
    Zest and juice of one lime
    10 grams of garlic
    15 grams of chilli flakes
    1 chicken stock cube
    1 can coconut milk
    1 tbsp Tumeric
    1 tbsp Cornflour

    I always put in more tumeric and chilli than the recipes calls for.

    I did try it with chicken legs a couple of weeks or so ago but it was ****. So breast all the way (ooh er).

    Thatís for 1kg of breast which has fed 4 adults and 3 kids previously.
    Cheers - Iíll feedback.

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    47,743
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chilli taco's
    Bacon baguette done in air fryer
    Eggs made in the George foreman grill

    Looking for a change as I eat the same things all the time

    What's everyone else's best scran ?
    How do you make eggs in a GF grill?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    47,743
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought about contributing to this thread pointing out that a slow cooker is a friend! I donít do a lot of cooking really, but I did a chilli recently in the SC and it went down extremely well with the missus!

    While I wouldnít turn down chicken on the bone.. I do get your wifeís point. Itís preferable being able to eat everything in front of you rather than gnaw round bits 👍
    On the bone meat tastes better, imo.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  20. #19
    hibs.net Branch Member BS44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Greenland
    Posts
    2,112
    Garlic salt and smoked paprika is magic in a egg mayo mix

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Penicuik
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do you make eggs in a GF grill?


    Just tried it for the 1st time the other day , Basically crack an egg over the grill ( Put a wee bit olive oil on the grill and heat for 5 minutes ) egg done in minutes

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    38
    Posts
    12,254
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just tried it for the 1st time the other day , Basically crack an egg over the grill ( Put a wee bit olive oil on the grill and heat for 5 minutes ) egg done in minutes
    Is that any different from just frying an egg in a frying pan?

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Penicuik
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,586
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that any different from just frying an egg in a frying pan?

    Probably no , Just experimenting

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member HH81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,317
    What about spaghetti hoops on toast? 😁
    Cougars!!!

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Penicuik
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,586
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about spaghetti hoops on toast? 😁
    Beans & toast with grated cheese is another classis

  26. #25
    Coaching Staff LancashireHibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Leigh, Lancashire
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,846
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beans & toast with grated cheese is another classis
    Worcestershire sauce is a must on that one

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    29
    Posts
    14,556
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beans & toast with grated cheese is another classis
    I cook the beans in a pan with butter, reduce the sauce right right down and add as much cheese the mrs will allow and then a drizzle of sriracha. On toast or a tattie.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I donít think thereís a better football celebration ever in the game.Ē

    Sir Alex Ferguson

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Penicuik
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I cook the beans in a pan with butter, reduce the sauce right right down and add as much cheese the mrs will allow and then a drizzle of sriracha. On toast or a tattie.
    Sounds lush

    I attempted homemade bruschetta earlier on , Grill bread , Give it a wee rub with peeled Garlic clove ,Kumato tomatoes ( i find them pretty sweet ) seasoned with salt & pepper , Let that sit 5 minutes , Add wee bit olive oil , Some Parsley and just basically spoon the tomatoes on to the bread


    wee tip that work for me , I don't refrigerate the tomatoes


    Was super tasty

  29. #28
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    54
    Posts
    21,698
    Just battered and deep fried some large gherkins sliced length ways into four, a bit of salt and chipotle dipÖÖlovely.

  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Penicuik
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just battered and deep fried some large gherkins sliced length ways into four, a bit of salt and chipotle dipÖÖlovely.

    I'd scran that

  31. #30
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Gross Kienitz
    Posts
    15,587
    Corned beef hash. Fry some corned beef in butter with chopped onions. Add baked beans once the onions are nearly soft and keep stirring until the tomato sauce has reduced. Add lots of freshly ground pepper and enjoy.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)