hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

A stonking read.

Among the ‘favourite’ type threads on this forum, I don’t recollect seeing an ‘outstanding book’ one (apologies if there is one). I’m not an avid reader but enjoy a really good book. Somebody gave me a copy of ‘I Am Pilgrim’ by Terry Hayes for Christmas and I can’t put it down.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I had to google it to remind myself if I had read it which I have.

Sure it was good but his follow up book seems to be taking forever to materialise.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had to google it to remind myself if I had read it which I have.

Sure it was good but his follow up book seems to be taking forever to materialise.
    It’s about 8 years old but has stood the test of time. Anyone I’ve mentioned it to has ‘wowed’ it. At about 800 pages, it’s not a quick browse.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Among the ‘favourite’ type threads on this forum, I don’t recollect seeing an ‘outstanding book’ one (apologies if there is one). I’m not an avid reader but enjoy a really good book. Somebody gave me a copy of ‘I Am Pilgrim’ by Terry Hayes for Christmas and I can’t put it down.
    I've just bought it based on your recommendation. 👍

Edit: eBay £3.10 😎

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I’ve got kinda lazy reading but do plough through books on audible. Really enjoying Laidlaw by William Mcilvanney at the moment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    I’ve got kinda lazy reading but do plough through books on audible. Really enjoying Laidlaw by William Mcilvanney at the moment.
    I’ve thought of trying audible but I don’t know how practical it would be for me. I’ve a real habit of quickly turning back the pages, as I read, to check up on facts or names I’ve forgotten. How easy is it to do that on audible?

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Any book by Harlan Coben , Read every single one of them

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Salem's Lot is my favourite book of all time closely followed by The Stand. King is a master story teller.

In the Heart of the Sea (real Moby Dick type story) and In Harm's Way (sinking of the USS Indianapolis) are both cracking reads.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    The Amateurs by John Niven is great fun, particularly if you're Scottish and even more so if you're a golfer, but everyone would enjoy it.

Crime, sex, golf all combine to make an hilarious yet intriguing novel.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I’ve thought of trying audible but I don’t know how practical it would be for me. I’ve a real habit of quickly turning back the pages, as I read, to check up on facts or names I’ve forgotten. How easy is it to do that on audible?
    Although you can see chapters you don’t see pages. Like listening to music you can rewind to specific times or use 30sec jump back/forward function. For non fiction you can also take out clips (obviously you can do it for any book)..There’s also a sleep function.

It’s really easy to navigate. I used to use kindle more and only used audible for walks and stuff. Now it’s my preferred choice. Lots of reads available as part of membership and you get a credit for a new book to purchase each month.

Blog Entries
    Although you can see chapters you don’t see pages. Like listening to music you can rewind to specific times or use 30sec jump back/forward function. For non fiction you can also take out clips (obviously you can do it for any book)..There’s also a sleep function.

It’s really easy to navigate. I used to use kindle more and only used audible for walks and stuff. Now it’s my preferred choice. Lots of reads available as part of membership and you get a credit for a new book to purchase each month.
    Thanks,D. I might give it ago. My daughter and grandaughter think audible is the dog’s bollocks.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I read “Two Souls” by Henry McDonald over the Christmas break. Really enjoyed it once I got to grips with the chronology of the chapters.

Set in Belfast during the 70’s & 80’s, with a mix of Punk music, David Bowie’s “Low” LP, Cliftonville FC, Irish Cup Final, football hooligans and paramilitaries. Plenty going on.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...cdonald-review

Football books wise - I'd highly recommend calcio by John foot, basically a history of Italian football. Really enjoyed it and a lot of Italian history in there too.

Fear and loathing in la liga by sid Lowe covers the barca v real Madrid rivalry in depth from the very beginning and is also a brilliant read.

Non football, but still sports, Andre aggasi's autobiography is phenomenal.

Fiction wise - I love the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy trilogy of 5 books.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    The Spy and the Traitor by Ben MacIntyre. Best book I've read in years.

Chronicles the life of Oleg Gordievsky, arguably the best double agent the British secret service have ever had. Written in such a brilliant way too - reads like a story but packs in all the details about his life.

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Football books wise - I'd highly recommend calcio by John foot, basically a history of Italian football. Really enjoyed it and a lot of Italian history in there too.
    Meaning to read that for ages.

On a similar couldn't recommend A Season With Verona by Tim Parks enough, he's an american who lives in Italy and follows Hellas Verona home and away, travels with the locals so lots on Italian football culture and the all consuming nature of following their team.

Quote Originally Posted by bringbackbenny View Post

On a similar couldn't recommend A Season With Verona by Tim Parks enough, he's an american who lives in Italy and follows Hellas Verona home and away, travels with the locals so lots on Italian football culture and the all consuming nature of following their team.
    Again with the Italian flavour, the first of this sub-genre, ‘The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro’ by Joe McGinniss, for me at least, remains the best of a great bunch of books. Highly recommended.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    It’s about 8 years old but has stood the test of time. Anyone I’ve mentioned it to has ‘wowed’ it. At about 800 pages, it’s not a quick browse.
    The follow up " The Year of the Locust" is out in May.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    The follow up " The Year of the Locust" is out in May.
    The date has changed several times wouldn’t hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by bringbackbenny View Post

Yes, it's a great read. The bus journeys etc.. seems crazy compared to what we have!

Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    Again with the Italian flavour, the first of this sub-genre, ‘The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro’ by Joe McGinniss, for me at least, remains the best of a great bunch of books. Highly recommended.
    Agreed, though the way it ends is a bit of a sour note.

I've also just bought "the immortals" by arrigo sacchi, but not read it yet.

Golazzo the football Italia years is worth a read for thr nostalgia alone, but it isn't particularly great imo.

@hibs.net private member
    I have just read the new one, the Dark Remains, that was finished by Ian Rankin. It's brilliant.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Fireflies by Andrew O'Hagan. First half is pure nostalgia, second half is heart rending.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post
    The Spy and the Traitor by Ben MacIntyre. Best book I've read in years.

Chronicles the life of Oleg Gordievsky, arguably the best double agent the British secret service have ever had. Written in such a brilliant way too - reads like a story but packs in all the details about his life.
    Read this last year. Incredible true story.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Read this last year. Incredible true story.
    Agreed. Anything by Ben McIntyre is worth a read

I've read too many amazing books to know where to begin - although I've given up on a fair few supposed 'classics' too! I was bought a copy of Featherhood by Charlie Gilmour at Christmas. The blurb didn't immediately grab me but it's a lovely book, beautifully written and moving.

How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie is my personal favourite. A bit dated, but full of really simple concepts and started a love affair with books on the subject of behaviour/psychology.
    I'm no expert, but I cringe when I see people in positions of power who have absolutely no idea how to deal with people and wonder why they get no respect.

I’m reading The Fife Pilgrim Way by Ian Bradley.

Very good read with lots of social commentary on how communities grew up in Fife.

@hibs.net private member
    I am waiting on Alan Lugton’s The Making of Hibernian, The Brave Years to complete the trilogy. I am so looking forward to reading them, I have looked at the results section in The Romantic Years and I found that fascinating.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    I just finished 'The Young Team' by Graeme Armstrong.

Best book I've read for a while. A lot of relatable references and experiences for any of us who were teenagers to early 20's in the 00's and were around the 'Ned' culture of time. Can't recommend it enough

Just started "Fight Club"

Comes highly recommended