hibs.net Messageboard

Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don’t think anybody is asking you to?

I preferred Lennons season where we finished 4th to Ross’s 3rd place finish. I don’t really care if you understand my mentality or not. We’re obviously just looking for different things.
    I agree

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    It’s not a court of law, I didn’t realise there was a need to prove things beyond doubt. It’s not exactly an unreasonable observation as to why people weren’t going. Not the only reason why people weren’t going, but a definite reason.

If we lose games it will discourage folk from going. Always has, always will. If we win that will encourage more to go. Win and play well it’ll encourage even more. We need to get the folk back that have stopped going before we worry about losing them again anyway.
    I didn’t say it had to be proved beyond doubt. It just seems ridiculous you’re saying folk didn’t go to the games when we weren’t allowed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I didn’t say it had to be proved beyond doubt. It just seems ridiculous you’re saying folk didn’t go to the games when we weren’t allowed in.
    What on earth are you talking about? I said nothing of the kind (although it would be technically correct to say people didn’t go when they weren’t allowed in).

@hibs.net private member
    What on earth are you talking about? I said nothing of the kind (although it would be technically correct to say people didn’t go when they weren’t allowed in).
    It’s not unreasonable to say crowds would’ve been up last season due to us winning regularly and scoring lots of goals etc.

This year they’re down (on 2 seasons ago) due to us losing more games.

We’re a fickle bunch really and no over egging the “style of play” chat will change that - we win we’re back, we lose we’re not.

Maybe the empty seats suggest we’re not over egging it. People weren’t just moaning, they actually really did find it boring.

I think the thing being over egged is how hard folk are to please. I don’t think anyone is thinking we should be winning everything going. They just want to enjoy watching us, which (in a lot of cases) the weren’t. I’m glad we have folk running the club who saw that and acted on it and have some hope that I didn’t have a couple of months ago.
    Ok mate - I totally respect your opinion and I’m not saying I’m in complete disagreement. Everyone is entitled to feel whatever way they do.

I think an element of our support IS very hard to please - our crowds drop like a stone when we’re not doing well. I don’t think there’s another team in Scotland with such a big percentage differential in crowds at good and bad times… but again it’s everyone’s right to choose so it’s more an observation rather than a criticism. It maybe depends which Hibs teams you’ve seen as far as where your bar is set but I am 100 percent positive I’ve seen a lot worse for longer periods of time than under JR.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    It’s not unreasonable to say crowds would’ve been up last season due to us winning regularly and scoring lots of goals etc.

We’re a fickle bunch really and no over egging the “style of play” chat will change that - we win we’re back, we lose we’re not.
    Crowds were also affected by Covid fears.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Maybe they would have, maybe they wouldn’t. We’ll never know. If you’re comparing to two seasons ago, it wasn’t exactly a winning team though. Our away form was much better than our home form so ER might not have been bouncing. As I say, we’ll never know.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I also enjoyed the Lennon 4th place finish more than the Ross 3rd place finish, but there are many reasons why, mostly because i could actually go to the Lennon season.

And remember, Lennon got soooooooo much stick from folk on here for not finishing 2nd, he lost us 2nd place apparently because of his messing about with the team at Tynecastle, the abuse he received after that game was hilarious.

In fact there were an element of our support who could not say a good word about him from the minute he arrived, much like Ross too.

For the record, i enjoyed both seasons.

Will be interesting to see how this develops over the weeks and months to come. It's obvious he prefers the build up from the back, then pass through the midfield breaking the 'press' onto the forwards. Then if we lose the ball, we 'press' to win it back, hopefully in a more forward position. Works well at Man City and Chelsea, but will it work at Hibs with the players we have. Cannot see this style working as effectively at Easter Road, as the fans will want the ball punted forward at the first sign of scary moments in defence. Even the best defenders in the world make mistakes when playing this style of play.

Last night, it felt when we were in possession, the general movement of the ball was towards our goals rather than forward. I lost count of the number of times we had the ball on the centre line, then a few passes later the ball was in line or behind our 18 yard box. That said, it was a Celtic team that played well. More relevant will be how we play against Cove, Motherwell and Livingston, before we play the Hertz.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Will be interesting to see how this develops over the weeks and months to come. It's obvious he prefers the build up from the back, then pass through the midfield breaking the 'press' onto the forwards. Then if we lose the ball, we 'press' to win it back, hopefully in a more forward position. Works well at Man City and Chelsea, but will it work at Hibs with the players we have. Cannot see this style working as effectively at Easter Road, as the fans will want the ball punted forward at the first sign of scary moments in defence. Even the best defenders in the world make mistakes when playing this style of play.

Last night, it felt when we were in possession, the general movement of the ball was towards our goals rather than forward. I lost count of the number of times we had the ball on the centre line, then a few passes later the ball was in line or behind our 18 yard box. That said, it was a Celtic team that played well. More relevant will be how we play against Cove, Motherwell and Livingston, before we play the Hertz.
    I think we will go as we are until summer, at which point a key position to sort is the pivot in midfield. I think JDH could play a role but him and Newell together is not the answer for this system.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Big time influence married with being able to watch on TV at home on a fraction of the price.

I think his style will work.

We were able to play out last night but Celtic also allowed us to do this to a certain degree and then pressed. But we did break the press on numerous occasions, the main thing is when you do break it that you’re direct and progress with the ball and not end up back where you started which is what happened last night.

Porteous was a huge miss as he can step into play and essentially take a man out of the game, he can also thread the ball into midfield and forwards and take the opposition out the game. Clarke is another that would have offered this.

For me the main thing Maloney will have noticed last night is that we need more in the final third. Direct play, bravery and creativity - we kept the ball well and worked it into the forward areas.

At the end of the day it’s the classic fine margains but there’s a few points for me which need to be kept in mind;

Unavailable players - Porteous, McGinn, Clarke, Magennis, Melkersen and Henderson. I imagine the majority would have been in contention to start.

Nisbet chance - You need to take your chance 3 minutes in and it changes the game. That miss shattered the rest of his performance.

Celtics goals - An individual mistake by Campbell which left us brutally exposed and a questionable penalty as it potentially struck the celtics players arm first.

How many other decent chances did they have? Genuine decent chances? When Abada hit the post I’m sure that was given as offside. A couple of shots from the edge of the box?

Maloney will get there, he’s still trying to suss everyone out and decide who he’s happy to move on and where we need to strengthen.

First Team Breakthrough timewilltell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I keep hearing crowds were affected by Covid.

English Premiership grounds are full every week!

The fact our attendances are down is because the football has been boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I think his style will work.

We were able to play out last night but Celtic also allowed us to do this to a certain degree and then pressed. But we did break the press on numerous occasions, the main thing is when you do break it that you’re direct and progress with the ball and not end up back where you started which is what happened last night.

Porteous was a huge miss as he can step into play and essentially take a man out of the game, he can also thread the ball into midfield and forwards and take the opposition out the game. Clarke is another that would have offered this.

For me the main thing Maloney will have noticed last night is that we need more in the final third. Direct play, bravery and creativity - we kept the ball well and worked it into the forward areas.

At the end of the day it’s the classic fine margains but there’s a few points for me which need to be kept in mind;

Unavailable players - Porteous, McGinn, Clarke, Magennis, Melkersen and Henderson. I imagine the majority would have been in contention to start.

Nisbet chance - You need to take your chance 3 minutes in and it changes the game. That miss shattered the rest of his performance.

Celtics goals - An individual mistake by Campbell which left us brutally exposed and a questionable penalty as it potentially struck the celtics players arm first.

How many other decent chances did they have? Genuine decent chances? When Abada hit the post I’m sure that was given as offside. A couple of shots from the edge of the box?

Maloney will get there, he’s still trying to suss everyone out and decide who he’s happy to move on and where we need to strengthen.
    Of those players mentioned there are three that make a big difference, for me.

Porteous because he’ll take a chance wit a pass. And it gets us away quicker. Clarke because, from what I’ve seen, he’d bring a bit purpose and get us up the pitch quicker. Magennis because he brings a bit of something that our other midfielders simply don’t have. Passing and keeping the ball is fine, we just need players that can do it with more purpose at times. I’m sure Maloney wants that as well.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timewilltell View Post

It’s not a fact. Its your opinion. It’s only one factor. Unless you asked every season ticket holder why they weren’t attending there’s no way of knowing. There are certainly a good number not attending for covid related reasons. There’s probably a bigger number not going because they can watch it on the telly and not out in the cold and having to travel to the games.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar

While I agree the football has been boring and that will have impacted attendances, English clubs didn’t begin their seasons with attendance restrictions in place. That uncertainty in Scotland will have put a lot of people off investing in season tickets this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    While I agree the football has been boring and that will have impacted attendances, English clubs didn’t begin their seasons with attendance restrictions in place. That uncertainty in Scotland will have put a lot of people off investing in season tickets this year.
    Don’t think folk investing in them was our problem, it’s getting them to use them.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I am Groot View Post
    It’s not a fact. Its your opinion. It’s only one factor. Unless you asked every season ticket holder why they weren’t attending there’s no way of knowing. There are certainly a good number not attending for covid related reasons. There’s probably a bigger number not going because they can watch it on the telly and not out in the cold and having to travel to the games.
    Hearts are probably a good comparison.

They’re having a good season and I’m not aware of their fans staying away in large numbers worrying about covid?

Are Hibs fans just more scared of covid than Hearts fans?

English grounds are always full every week. It's because England has 10x our population. Every team in their top 3 leagues would take 45k to Wembley for example. Here, maybe 5 could muster that.

Covid has affected everything. Every single thing, including football attendance.

Side to side to side to side
    Zero through balls from midfield
    Zero shots on target
    Horrific

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Zero shots on target
    Horrific

Agreed. Great at triangles between the 18 yard and half lines and get the ball into some good wide positions but zero penetration, zero shots on target and zero entertainment. Boring as ****!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Zero shots on target
    Horrific

But but 63% possession though 🙄

Unfortunately I just don’t think our team is that good, especially in the final third.

We need to recruit real quality.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Unfortunately I just don’t think our team is that good, especially in the final third.

We have attacking players on the bench tho, set up with far too many defensive minded players in the starting 11

First Team Breakthrough Broxburn Greens's Avatar
    Frustrating to watch tonight. Lots of the ball but going nowhere with it.

Granted the conditions were awful but 0 shots on target is just horrendous.

Too many similar players in midfield without any real clinical passer between midfield and attack.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Time to judge Maloney is when he has a full squad at his disposal. With the patchwork defence he had out tonight and the atrocious conditions, I thought we did well to dominate the game and if Doidge sticks the late chance away everyone goes home happy.

Sitting on the M8 on the way through when I saw the team. Heart sank when I saw all three of Campbell, Newell and JDH playing. As soon as you see that you know there is going to be next to no creativity. And then the first sub is to bring Drey Wright on. Pish.

Quote Originally Posted by Broxburn Greens View Post
    Frustrating to watch tonight. Lots of the ball but going nowhere with it.

Granted the conditions were awful but 0 shots on target is just horrendous.
    To be fair Motherwell only had 2 and they were the home team. Conditions were horrendous.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar

Yep. We need to spend money on players who’ll create and players that are actually ready to play now