hibs.net Messageboard

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738
Results 1,111 to 1,139 of 1139
    @hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    An ambitious and out-the-box appointment - clubs like Hibs need to take risks every so often to achieve something special, particularly when the financial gap Vs the OF is so large. It is absolutely crucial we as a fanbase give him time to implement what will be a very technical philosophy - in a nutshell, if you have been loudly booing past 9 months, you can shut the **** up for the next 9 please .

2. Log in to remove the advert

I have come from listening to his interview on Hibs Tv. Going by that interview, it sounded to me like Hibs made the approach and not the other way around, can anyone confirm that? The other point I found curious is that he seemed to be saying that he is focusing on one game at a time. That, at first hand might sound obvious to some of us, however it might be worth remembering that Alex McLeish for example, looked at the next three or four games ahead and treated them like a mini tournament. Meaning he had ideas of how he was going to approach those games and with which personnel. Should we take Shaun literally when he says that he's not yet thinking about the derby for example which is less than a fortnight away, or does anyone think he already has an idea of how to approach the Dundee Utd, Celtic and Hearts game with the personnel he has available to him, whether that means anyone coming back into contention or current availability, of course accepting that he can't predict red cards and subsequent suspensions nor injuries.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That, at first hand might sound obvious to some of us, however it might be worth remembering that Alex McLeish for example, looked at the next three or four games ahead and treated them like a mini tournament. Meaning he had ideas of how he was going to approach those games and with which personnel.
    I dont think he did.
    I know he spoke about doing it once over the festive period.
    I remember the interview. Im sure its on one the DVD's.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

I have come from listening to his interview on Hibs Tv. Going by that interview, it sounded to me like Hibs made the approach and not the other way around, can anyone confirm that? The other point I found curious is that he seemed to be saying that he is focusing on one game at a time. That, at first hand might sound obvious to some of us, however it might be worth remembering that Alex McLeish for example, looked at the next three or four games ahead and treated them like a mini tournament. Meaning he had ideas of how he was going to approach those games and with which personnel. Should we take Shaun literally when he says that he's not yet thinking about the derby for example which is less than a fortnight away, or does anyone think he already has an idea of how to approach the Dundee Utd, Celtic and Hearts game with the personnel he has available to him, whether that means anyone coming back into contention or current availability, of course accepting that he can't predict red cards and subsequent suspensions nor injuries.
    Said on Sky he didn't apply. Ben Kensell approached him.

Has a bit of a Mowbray appointment about it. First management gig, impressive coaching background. Only difference is that TM had a squad full of young, impressionable and talented players to mould into what he wanted, so the change in style was very evident very quickly.

Not sure we will see that with Maloney initially, although wasn’t surprised the academy was mentioned straight off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    I dont think he did.
    I know he spoke about doing it once over the festive period.
    I remember the interview. Im sure its on one the DVD's.
    So he did over the festive season then, so he did. I got the impression he continued with it but due to injuries of course he changed. As Belgium like all international teams mostly played in tournament frameworks I would be surprised if he doesnt approach things that way even if he isnt conscious about it, could be part of his DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Said on Sky he didn't apply. Ben Kensell approached him.
    Thanks. We approached Colin Calderwood too all those years ago but I think that will be the only comparison, as Shaun comes over much more enthusiastic and who wouldnt be when its not RP he has to work with.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    If i think about some of the managers we've appointed and how i felt at the time it would probably be like this.

Calderwood - Underwhelmed.
    Fenlon - Excited. Something a bit different.
    Butcher - Delighted.
    Stubbs - Very underwhelmed.
    Lennon - Annoyed and surprised.
    Hecky - Didn't excite me but was willing to go with it.
    Ross - Very pleased. Obvious choice.

With Maloney i'm edging towards being excited but as my list would suggest my first reactions don't count for a lot!
    Calderwood - excited
    Fenlon - gutted / furious
    Butcher - delighted
    Stubbs - bemused / confused
    Lennon - delighted, over the moon, best appointment we ever made
    Hecky - board rules prohibit me from saying what i thnk
    Ross - pleased, seemed like the obvious candidate
    Maloney - see Stubbs
    Caldwell - see Hecky

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

He doesn’t want to get drawn into derby chat on his first day, and I don’t blame him. I wouldn’t read any more into than that.

Mind you, Belgium’s tournament record under Martinez isn’t all that great, given the personnel at their disposal, so maybe looking ahead to the next few games really is an alien concept!

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Calderwood - Disappointed
    Fenlon - Excited
    Butcher - Very excited
    Stubbs - Cautiously optimistic
    Lennon - Pleasantly surprised
    Hecky - Neither up nor down but probably cautiously optimistic
    Ross - Disappointed

Maloney - really excited.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    He doesn’t want to get drawn into derby chat on his first day, and I don’t blame him. I wouldn’t read any more into than that.

Mind you, Belgium’s tournament record under Martinez isn’t all that great, given the personnel at their disposal, so maybe looking ahead to the next few games really is an alien concept!
    Yes, that all makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Calderwood - Disappointed
    Fenlon - Excited
    Butcher - Very excited
    Stubbs - Cautiously optimistic
    Lennon - Pleasantly surprised
    Hecky - Neither up nor down but probably cautiously optimistic
    Ross - Disappointed

Maloney - really excited.
    Calderwood-cant remember, i think i was drinking a lot during this period.
    Fenlon-amused, hungover
    Butcher-impressed
    Stubbs-disappointed
    Lennon-disappointed
    Heckinbotham-disappointed
    Ross-neutral
    Maloney-positive

So apparently i've never been more optimistic about a Hibs manager since Terry Butcher.
    This is clear evidence I have no clue about football management.
    I'll just happily let Shaunyboy get on with it with my blessing.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Thanks. We approached Colin Calderwood too all those years ago but I think that will be the only comparison, as Shaun comes over much more enthusiastic and who wouldnt be when its not RP he has to work with.
    All we needed in our armoury to talk to Colin Calderwood was a bag of sweeties wasn’t it?

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Calderwood-cant remember, i think i was drinking a lot during this period.
    Fenlon-amused, hungover
    Butcher-impressed
    Stubbs-disappointed
    Lennon-disappointed
    Heckinbotham-disappointed
    Ross-neutral
    Maloney-positive

So apparently i've never been more optimistic about a Hibs manager since Terry Butcher.
    This is clear evidence I have no clue about football management.
    I'll just happily let Shaunyboy get on with it with my blessing.

I remember thinking Butcher would take us to the next level. 'suppose he did in his own way.

I think this may be a really good appointment, fresh new ideas although he needs to be given the time to build a team that will play the game the way it should be.
    I back Maloney.

https://youtu.be/Sw56eH5oWzo

Ferry and Slaney singing Maloney’s praises here and saying if he fails it won’t be for the lack of trying or being underprepared.

Says he has an aura about him and despite being quieter than most players when he says something you listen.

Also said he won’t take any rubbish and if you’re not committed you’ll be out the door.

To finish it off Slaney reckons it will be the best football we’ve seen.

Skip to 30 minutes in for the Maloney chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Ferry and Slaney singing Maloney’s praises here and saying if he fails it won’t be for the lack of trying or being underprepared.

Says he has an aura about him and despite being quieter than most players when he says something you listen.

Also said he won’t take any rubbish and if you’re not committed you’ll be out the door.

Big Kevin Kyle iterated that 😉

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

This type of insight from pros that have played with him is reassuring.

Contrast that with the views of pros who had been on courses with Cathro and were in the press stating they thought players wouldn't respect him and he wasn't cut out for management - of course they were right.

Our management team have some amount of winners medals between them. That can only be a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This type of insight from pros that have played with him is reassuring.

Contrast that with the views of pros who had been on courses with Cathro and were in the press stating they thought players wouldn't respect him and he wasn't cut out for management - of course they were right.
    Anyone saying there are similarities to Cathro are either nuts or at it (not referring to you btw). Cathro was a coach who wasn't a professional footballer, that went into management. Maloney played for Celtic, Villa, Wigan, Hull and got 47 caps for Scotland and has coached some of the best players in the world.

Almost every football fan in Scotland had heard of Maloney before he got the Hibs job because of what he has done in the game whereas about the same number of people hadn't heard of Cathro before he got the Hearts job.

It's just wishful thinking by Jambos hoping they can do to Maloney what Kris Boyd did to Cathro i.e. say things like he'll fail and that he's a laptop manager so they can claim later that they "called it".
    Last edited by 007; 29-12-2021 at 11:09 PM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

I remember thinking Butcher would take us to the next level. 'suppose he did in his own way.
    yep another level rather than next level though so did I
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 30-12-2021 at 07:31 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    https://news.stv.tv/sport/martinez-b...ve-in-scotland

Have to say that reads really impressively.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post

the quote “There are really great times coming to Hibs, his vision will be very contagious”

is already true, I haven’t thought so much about Hibs for months, im excited, really looking forward to what the future holds, it’s so good to have a real feeling of positivity.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    the quote “There are really great times coming to Hibs, his vision will be very contagious”

is already true, I haven’t thought so much about Hibs for months, im excited, really looking forward to what the future holds, it’s so good to have a real feeling of positivity.
    Same here, feel so much more positive. If we’d been stopped from getting to games a few months ago I wouldn’t have cared. Desperate to get back and watch is now, hope these restrictions aren’t in place too long.

First Team Breakthrough

In his Graham Hunter interview on YouTube he is asked how he went about creating relationships with the biggest names in world football at Belgium. Very simple answer I know but said he is himself, will always be softly spoken as that’s who he is and doesn’t pretend to be anything else. Liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

The late great Tommy Docherty recalled when being interviewed for yet another managerial job (he had 13 or so)

He said : "I promised I would take Rotherham out of the Second Division – and I took them into the Third.
    The old chairman said 'Doc, you’re a man of your word!'"

Drey Wright talks a little about Maloney here
    https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/s...-exit-22601587

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post

Just read that in the Herald, hadn’t realised they just lifted it from PA wholesale!

As you say, good to hear Bobby Martinez joining the love in. Of course, if Shaun really does believe in ‘the project’ then we can expect him to resist the first club that tries to poach him from us.

Interesting to see a Celtic blog quoting Hugh Keevins saying Maloney has appointed an Opposition Analyst.

https://celtic.vitalfootball.co.uk/i...r-celtic-fans/
    Last edited by 007; 17-01-2022 at 10:37 AM.