hibs.net Messageboard

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233
    madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I understand the whole philosophy argument, I don't think that the counter attacking style is particularly beneficial to us (although, having said that I remember the whole "Gegenpressing" style Stendel adopted at Hearts-much lauded but clearly didn't work either) where teams sit in with packed midfields we can't break them down.

What I am, genuinely, not so sure about is that a manager would happily come to Hibs. A job with an 18 month-2 year shelf life-going by the longevity of previous incumbents. If it was me, I'd want time to re-build, implement my ideas and a decent run at it. Hecky and Lennon were sacked, Stubbs left (although cup win aside there was an unhappiness with his performance in some quarters), Butcher sacked, Fenlon sacked, the list goes on. I'd be looking at that list and thinking twice!
    You are maybe thinking about this from a Hibs fan perspective though. If I wasn't a Hibs fan and wanted a successful football managerial career I would take the Hibs job try to get the success as fast as possible and hopefully get the job at Celtic, Rangers or a Championship club down south. Remember there is absolutely no loyalty in football, managers will jump from job to job for money to pay the bills and, if they are any good, will try to work their way up to the major leagues to make the big bucks. Very few managers probably care about the building side of the game, Howe almost suggested in his Newcastle interview that he is only thinking about this season and staying up (highly likely if they stay up he will be replaced soon enough with a higher profile manager as the club spend money). Watford sack managers almost as often as seasons change and still are able to recruit managers.

Hibs are not that dissimilar to a lot of clubs our size. We have sacked some managers far too quickly. However, fairly certain Jack Ross has outlasted the typical stay for a lot of managers in world football. I'm sure the average was around 1.5 years - I'm sure it will vary depending on source but nevertheless managers don't stay for 5-6 years at a club building an empire. Not at our level. Certainly not when having a complete collapse.
    Last edited by madhatter; 08-12-2021 at 10:27 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Four red cards in our last four matches.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Helensburghhibs View Post
    Or me,, people forget how brutal we were in the end u der him,, and when results turned he started losing the plot
    Or we remember but would still prefer that to what we have now!!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    The game plan in an attacking sense gives the impression that we are only trying to score goals from headers. Out wide, cross, defender wins, out wide, cross, hit it too low, defender wins again and repeat. Not many alternative ideas or much will to try anything different. The most predictable side in the league and an opposition managers dream.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    The game plan in an attacking sense gives the impression that we are only trying to score goals from headers. Out wide, cross, defender wins, out wide, cross, hit it too low, defender wins again and repeat. Not many alternative ideas or much will to try anything different. The most predictable side in the league and an opposition managers dream.
    Aye became apparent our only tactics is to get the ball out wide. Very rarely will we try playing through the middle

Teams have sussed us and JR doesn’t know how to change it

A lot of the "flair tradition" stuff around Hibs is misty-eyed crap, and I say that as a supporter who lists amongst his favourite ever Hibs players as Edwards, Latapy, Jackson, Stanton, McGinn, Brownlie, Paatelainen, Ambrose, and Sauzee.

All guys that could play and get you off your seat, but ultimately pragmatism (especially in the modern game) will trump flowing football/flair or whatever label you want to put on it.

This current team, and manager, can't seem to at least guarantee some kind of cohesive game plan every week due in large part to an ageing, threadbare, sub-standard squad; and that current paucity of playing staff is firmly on the club.

It's a cliche, but any good teams have a decent spine; top-class imposing goalkeeper, dominant centre-half, a playmaker in the middle of the park and a centre forward that can take the ball in and ensure the team are mostly on the front foot during games.

However, that means taking a calculated punt and spending a bit of money which we still seem stubbornly reluctant to do.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Yes, everything is going wrong for us just now.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    ..... the proverbial soft touch, yet again. Plus ca change and all that. We’re in a time warp and can’t seem to be able to get out of it.

3 shots on target from 15 attempts according to BBC. Ross is resembling a Butcheresque scenario. The same players are now not gelling under Ross. Bottom Six.

Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    I don't think he's dreadful.

It's a bit like people saying Moyes was finished and they wouldn't have taken at Scotland.

People forget the work Lambert actually done down South - took Wycombe to the League Cup Semis drawing with Chelsea when in League 2, done a fantastic job with Colchester and then built a team from a Norwich in freefall (that Colchester smashed 7-1 under PL) in L1 and built them up to eventually go up to the EPL. Went to Villa and was steady for a few seasons. Got sacked, replaced by Sherwood and next year they got relegated. Kept Blackburn up then walked as it's a basket case.

After that not so good. But he's anything but a dreadful manager.
    Managers have to fit the club and vice versa. Ross does not fit Hibs and Hibs does not fit Ross.

i would accept Lambert.

In business, would you sack a bad GM off the back of half a bad 1/4, even if his last 8 had been strong?

Shocking stat and suggests things are not at all good behind the scenes. Long term injuries are another worrying indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Green View Post
    Managers have to fit the club and vice versa. Ross does not fit Hibs and Hibs does not fit Ross.

i would accept Lambert.
    Disagree on both fronts why doesn’t Hibs and JR not fit? And wouldn’t touch lambert with a barge pole

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Shocking stat and suggests things are not at all good behind the scenes. Long term injuries are another worrying indicator.
    How does that suggest things arnt great behind the scenes, utter rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Talking about this leaving the game tonight. JDH being extended until 2025 based on nothing. Josh Campbell the same based on not very much. We’ll continue going round in circles with the same average players in defence as well.

Funnily enough, neilson mentioned this in an interview when talking about their players coming to the end of their contract. He said you'll get more out of a player fighting for a contract rather than those that are on a long deal as they know they are safe

First Team Breakthrough
    Last 9 League Games
    6 Red
    5 Goals

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Is Ross away yet?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59587785

Apologies if posted elsewhere
    As I posted last night the analysis from Neil and Rankin was excellent, Sportsound pundits who actually seemed to have an interest in how we play rather than the usual suspects giving bland non-opinions.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    As I posted last night the analysis from Neil and Rankin was excellent, Sportsound pundits who actually seemed to have an interest in how we play rather than the usual suspects giving bland non-opinions.
    Just started to listen to it.

Really Torn between giving Ross time which before last night I felt he had earned. Or, moving for Neil as he’s available.

Neil’s record trumps Ross…

Still nothing on YouTube ("highlights" or inteviews) or twitter which isn't normal.

Wonder if something is happening...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    Still nothing on YouTube ("highlights" or inteviews) or twitter which isn't normal.

Wonder if something is happening...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Yeah noticed that. Hibs Twitter is usually very active. Not a peep since FT last night.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    Yeah noticed that. Hibs Twitter is usually very active. Not a peep since FT last night.
    Probably because they know it’ll be met with constant abuse. It’s the beginning of the end.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I have a hunch he may have resigned from the “taking responsibility” line he used in his press conference last night.

Much as the last few games can’t be tolerated, he’s a classy guy.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I have a hunch he may have resigned from the “taking responsibility” line he used in his press conference last night.

Much as the last few games can’t be tolerated, he’s a classy guy.
    Absolutely. Can leave us with his head held high and an overall success.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    McGinns red last night was a shambles. Hanlon was unlucky. Debatable it was even a foul never mind a yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    McGinns red last night was a shambles. Hanlon was unlucky. Debatable it was even a foul never mind a yellow.
    Hanlon should have been sent off earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    Hanlon should have been sent off earlier...
    100% he should've. That was dreadful refereeing. Stone wall red for denying a clear goalscoring oppertunity with a foul outside the box.