hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    I went.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is, though. That's exactly what it is.

Yeah, I remember watching Calderwood lose every week thinking man, we're loaded with character and desire.
    So it’s the supporters fault this side inspire them less than that of a say Colin Calderwood? Maybe want to discuss that logic with yourself in a dark room
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

It is, though. That's exactly what it is.

Yeah, I remember watching Calderwood lose every week thinking man, we're loaded with character and desire.
    Aye you pretend that it’s just a vocal minority that’s losing interest then, there are thousands not turning up now.

Left by mutual consent!
    Some great points. It’s worth bearing in mind that we where **** for about ten years and in they year probably attracted very little in terms of new younger supporters.

Now we have a lot of older guys not going for various reasons and the hardcore I grew up in having different life priorities.

Something needs done and sharpish because this is actually happening during a successful period for the club.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    So it’s the supporters fault this side inspire them less than that of a say Colin Calderwood? Maybe want to discuss that logic with yourself in a dark room
    They don't, though. Not even close. That's nonsense

Try reading the rest pal
    Try getting they naughty photos back off Jack pal, will save you defending him for the rest of your life

Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    Some great points. It’s worth bearing in mind that we where **** for about ten years and in they year probably attracted very little in terms of new younger supporters.

Now we have a lot of older guys not going for various reasons and the hardcore I grew up in having different life priorities.

Something needs done and sharpish because this is actually happening during a successful period for the club.
    I have been wondering if the issue is that we've not got enough fans in their 20s/30s to make up for older fans not fancying it for one reason or another. I've no idea, but we are experiencing something pretty unique.

Yeah. If this is all it takes for folk to stop, they've definitely not been going 50 years. Duffy, yogi, Williamson, sauzee, calderwood. Butcher. Fenlon, hecky, Miller etc would've had them running for the hills.

Ross is klopp compared to most we've had.
    I've been present throughout all of the above, and a season ticket holder for pretty much the duration too.

Perhaps I, and many others, have finally had enough of being served up the same mediocre piss, regardless of manager etc, particularly at the prices they've got the cheek to charge currently.

Continue serving up what we are at present and watch the crowds dwindle even further.

Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    Try getting they naughty photos back off Jack pal, will save you defending him for the rest of your life
    Great point. Well made.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    I've been present throughout all of the above, and a season ticket holder for pretty much the duration too.

Perhaps I, and many others, have finally had enough of being served up the same mediocre piss, regardless of manager etc, particularly at the prices they've got the cheek to charge currently.

Continue serving up what we are at present and watch the crowds dwindle even further.
    This is nothing like those guys. They wish they were mediocre. Couldn't care less if crowds dwindle. You'll all come back if we win something, just like 2016. Great thing about fickle fans, only takes a trophy.

This is nothing like those guys. They wish they were mediocre. Couldn't care less if crowds dwindle. You'll all come back if we win something, just like 2016. Great thing about fickle fans, only takes a trophy.
    Well if you're content with the support dropping off a cliff, perhaps you're not the supporter you see yourself as.

Like it or not, the club requires as many of us through the gate as it can, regardless of our standing on the supporter scale.

What we are currently serving up on the pitch will not address this problem.

Well if you're content with the support dropping off a cliff, perhaps you're not the supporter you see yourself as.

Like it or not, the club requires as many of us through the gate as it can, regardless of our standing on the supporter scale.

What we are currently serving up on the pitch will not address this problem.
    Ah right, so the club needs fans for good football, but you only bother when we're already playing good football. Big fan.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    I have been wondering if the issue is that we've not got enough fans in their 20s/30s to make up for older fans not fancying it for one reason or another. I've no idea, but we are experiencing something pretty unique.
    I think it is the case. Like I said we had a **** ten years and it shows with lack of hardcore supporters in their 20s.

Ah right, so the club needs fans for good football, but you only bother when we're already playing good football. Big fan.
    35 years and counting and rarely miss a game home or away, but you're quite happy to see a supporter of such an ilk disappear because they don't fit your idea of what a Hibs supporter should be?

As I said, if you are happy with so many disillusioned fans, and what is presently being served up at ER, then enjoy all those empty seats for the foreseeable.
    Last edited by Chorley Hibee; 05-12-2021 at 12:23 AM.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Seems to me like priorities likely changed, because its laughable to suggest we're worse now than then. This Hibs team is worth supporting
    Yeah your right, the team is worth supporting, it’s the manager that’s not worth it, his time is up at Hibs and Ron needs to realise this and get him away from this team, he is not getting the best out of this squad of players.

First Team Breakthrough
    im scunnered

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Two out of three in my season ticket group were there today, the other one isn’t ready to go back because of concerns about covid, but will be back before the season is out.

There were a lot of regulars around us missing today, though.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    You obviously think the entertainment at Hibs games just now is fine, fair play to you, it’s not something that’s black and white, some people will enjoy different things.

Curious what your thoughts are going forward though if you agree that large amounts of other people disagree and the attendances continue to drop? Do the club just take a similar stance to you and blame them for being disloyal fans or do they look into what’s causing the apathy and act upon it?

Somebody posted before that a few wins will fix the issue but I don’t agree. Entertainment vs results has been a long standing debate on here however for me, I think Jack Ross tenure almost settles the debate. Results as good as they were for the most part last season just hasn’t captured the imagination of the supporters and it’s clear that if the club is to progress it needs bums on seats in the stadium.

People want to be entertained I think, if they’re not enjoying going to the football they’ll do something else. IMO the club can’t just put it down to us having **** fans.

Football fans are fickle. Hibs are consistently inconsistent.

35 years and counting and rarely miss a game home or away, but you're quite happy to see a supporter of such an ilk disappear because they don't fit your idea of what a Hibs supporter should be?

As I said, if you are happy with so many disillusioned fans, and what is presently being served up at ER, then enjoy all those empty seats for the foreseeable.
    This generation don't know what it's like to consistently watch dull boring football, ask the guys who suffered through the late 70s, late 80s and you might get an idea. There was no such thing as I'm not going we're boring to watch, you went that was it.
    Be very careful what you wish for and enjoy these many Hampden visits you can, they were very much a rarity in my day.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I'm bored watching the same players, playing the same way every week.

We always start at a pedestrian pace at ER, none of the players seem fired up for it and the fans appear to feel the same.

We need freshened up. We need some character in the squad and an identity.

We're just so meh / bland / beige.

We don't even get many folk going radge on here after defeats anymore, we just kinda collectively shrug our shoulders and wait for the next game.
    We didnt start pedestrian yesterday, we had a shot at goal and the a corner after 30 secs, but i suppose folk see what they want to see

Quote Originally Posted by Aldot View Post
    We didnt start pedestrian yesterday, we had a shot at goal and the a corner after 30 secs, but i suppose folk see what they want to see
    He can't have been in his seat by then

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    This generation don't know what it's like to consistently watch dull boring football, ask the guys who suffered through the late 70s, late 80s and you might get an idea. There was no such thing as I'm not going we're boring to watch, you went that was it.
    Be very careful what you wish for and enjoy these many Hampden visits you can, they were very much a rarity in my day.
    Society has moved on.

Back in "your day" football was one of the rare forms of entertainment for people, now there are a magnitude of different things people and families can do often for far cheaper than football and in some cases for free.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Times maybe have changed though.

You’re absolutely right, things have been a lot worse, so have attendances though.

If we continue with a playing brand of football that isn’t appealing to the masses then you will be right but surrounded by about 8,000 people at Easter Road. If we want to get crowds of around 15,000 then we need to offer better entertainment.

The fact it used to be much worse is neither here nor there to the current generation, or even the older generation who went through these tougher times but have now had their head turned by other things to do on a Saturday afternoon.

@hibs.net private member
    Brought up on a diet of teams led by the likes of Bob Shankly, Willie McFarlane
    and Eddie Turnbull, it came as a bit of a shock to the system from the break up up the Tornadoes, through the late 70s and onwards. I certainly lost my mojo and felt we only really got back to being entertained when Tony Mowbray came along and inherited the fledgling golden generation.

I’m not going to claim JR has us achieving those dizzy heights but his football is by no means boring. There are very flat periods in games but his team are also capable of some excellent football. It’s all a bit Kevin Nisbet though, it never produces for a whole game and sometimes never gets going at all.

Personally I don’t see that as JR’s fault. Clearly the players know what’s required and are capable. Just seems they give up trying when stuff doesn’t come off. Right now JR has the “Get out of Jail Free Card” of the perceived Mathie failings in the transfer market. It is notoriously difficult to do meaningful business in the January transfer window so I give it until next summer before I join the JR bandwagon of decent.
    Last edited by CentreLine; 05-12-2021 at 07:25 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Have you ever missed a Hibs game?

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think what the diehards (and well done to them) forget is that other folk have different interests and/or priorities to them in their life or maybe at least at this stage of their lives.

I have had a season ticket for well over 25 years and still do but have been once this year. I am a wee bit uncomfy with the Covid thing, but whether it's an ageing thing or not that wouldn't have stopped me going before.

I just have other things I need to be / would rather be doing just now and they are entirely nothing to do with what I think or don't think about this Hibs team / the manager / the atmosphere etc etc.

Maybe when my grandsons get a bit older and want to go I will go back with them, but for the moment I would rather play golf / spend some time with them and the family.

I bought this years season tickets for my daughter and I, knowing we probably wouldn't go much but felt that the team deserved if not our actual then financial support.

I am always a bit saddened when I read threads like this criticising folk who buy their tickets but don't go because they have other priorities, it seems a bit unnecessary to me and it also makes me wonder a bit if these folk criticising have anything else going on in their lives or have their priorities properly established that they can't understand why folk do differently, but in the same way I make my own choices they are entitled to make theirs.

What I would say though are 2 things:

1) Their criticism probably has exactly the opposite effect to that they desire, it won't force folk to go and next year they must just think **** it why should I bother renewing

2) Once you get out the way of going regularly, it gets easier to miss the next game and easier the one after that etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    I think what the diehards (and well done to them) forget is that other folk have different interests and/or priorities to them in their life or maybe at least at this stage of their lives.

I have had a season ticket for well over 25 years and still do but have been once this year. I am a wee bit uncomfy with the Covid thing, but whether it's an ageing thing or not that wouldn't have stopped me going before.

I just have other things I need to be / would rather be doing just now and they are entirely nothing to do with what I think or don't think about this Hibs team / the manager / the atmosphere etc etc.

Maybe when my grandsons get a bit older and want to go I will go back with them, but for the moment I would rather play golf / spend some time with them and the family.

I bought this years season tickets for my daughter and I, knowing we probably wouldn't go much but felt that the team deserved if not our actual then financial support.

I am always a bit saddened when I read threads like this criticising folk who buy their tickets but don't go because they have other priorities, it seems a bit unnecessary to me and it also makes me wonder a bit if these folk criticising have anything else going on in their lives or have their priorities properly established that they can't understand why folk do differently, but in the same way I make my own choices they are entitled to make theirs.

What I would say though are 2 things:

1) Their criticism probably has exactly the opposite effect to that they desire, it won't force folk to go and next year they must just think **** it why should I bother renewing

2) Once you get out the way of going regularly, it gets easier to miss the next game and easier the one after that etc etc
    Saved me typing my situation/thoughts - with the exception of swapping 'grandson' to 'son.'

In just bored of attending every Hibs game now, unfortunately. I'd much rather use my rare free time on the golf course, it's as simple as that. I was getting to this stage anyway but covid has no doubt fast tracked my feelings.

Worrying times.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldot View Post
    And then very quickly settled in to our normal first half routine and set up a number of chances for Motherwell. Scored a really good goal and thought the second half was decent enough but it’s just all moments here and there. With the exception of St Johnstone last week wee rarely keep teams under pressure for any sustained period and that, in turn, is why the crowd end up sitting on their hands for the majority of the game IMO.

@hibs.net private member
    You could find a thread like this every December. People have lives outside of Hibs, well some do. Get over it. We’ve contributed the same way as other ST holders.