hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

Left by mutual consent!
    [QUOTE=Iggy Pope;6767677]The police dealt with it, the courts have dealt with it, his employers have dealt with it.
    I’m sure he feels like **** enough without his habitat, tendencies, athleticism and behaviour being debated publicly by the experts on our chat group.[/QUOTE

Thought he played well on Wednesday before knowing all this news broke. He did play well considering the time he'd had. Been one of our better players this season. Time to move on and put it behind him. He doesn't need his own fans slating him. He's a grown man and will know what a mistake it was.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=90274;6767697]
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The police dealt with it, the courts have dealt with it, his employers have dealt with it.
    I’m sure he feels like **** enough without his habitat, tendencies, athleticism and behaviour being debated publicly by the experts on our chat group.[/QUOTE

Thought he played well on Wednesday before knowing all this news broke. He did play well considering the time he'd had. Been one of our better players this season. Time to move on and put it behind him. He doesn't need his own fans slating him. He's a grown man and will know what a mistake it was.
    For once, I agree with you 100%.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    [QUOTE=90274;6767697]
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    The police dealt with it, the courts have dealt with it, his employers have dealt with it.

I agree with this, but the bit in bold is a bit rich coming from you, no? Maybe I'm getting mixed up with some other poster, but haven't you regularly slated Ross, Nisbet, Hanlon and Stevenson?

I’m not having the idea that players shouldn’t touch beer at all during the season argument one bit.

But that doesn’t take away from how stupid Joe Newell has been and the fact he deserves his punishment and the stick he’s got on here too.

Left by mutual consent!
    [QUOTE=easty;6767707]
    Quote Originally Posted by 90274 View Post

I agree with this, but the bit in bold is a bit rich coming from you, no? Maybe I'm getting mixed up with some other poster, but haven't you regularly slated Ross, Nisbet, Hanlon and Stevenson?
    Regarding Ross, Nisbet, Hanlon and Stevenson that is correct and there have been multiple threads covering those discussions and opinions. This thread is regarding Joe Newell so please keep it on track.

Newell is a very important player for us this season and hopefully this will make him a stronger person.
    Last edited by 90274; 03-12-2021 at 09:51 AM.

Gamer IDs

[QUOTE=90274;6767712]
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

Regarding Ross, Nisbet, Hanlon and Stevenson that is correct and there have been multiple threads covering those discussions and opinions. This thread is regarding Joe Newell so please keep it on track.

Newell is a very important player for us this season and hopefully this will make him a stronger person.
    So, it's more a case of the players that you like don't need their own fans slating them...the others are fair game? Cool

Left by mutual consent!
    [QUOTE=easty;6767716]

So, it's more a case of the players that you like don't need their own fans slating them...the others are fair game? Cool
    It's not the case of liking certain players, a fact is a fact.
    Like I said, Newell has been one of our better players this season and is an important player for us.

Gamer IDs

[QUOTE=90274;6767717]
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    It's not the case of liking certain players, a fact is a fact.
    Like I said, Newell has been one of our better players this season and is an important player for us.

Proper b&llend for drink driving. Simply no excuse to do that under any circumstances.

That said he's been punished by the courts and by the club so that statement should draw a line under it now.

A joy to watch when on form so hoping it doesn't impact his performances from this point onwards.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I’m not having the idea that players shouldn’t touch beer at all during the season argument one bit.

But that doesn’t take away from how stupid Joe Newell has been and the fact he deserves his punishment and the stick he’s got on here too.
    Even one drink a week will impact your physical and mental performance. It's a no no during the season for most top sports people. Our attitude to alcohol is one reason we have lagged further and further behind other nations. Throw in diet and sports science and practice as well. Thankfully we are turning the corner. Having players in the EPL is rubbing off on our game. Careers are short. Plenty of time for enjoying life once you stop playing. The Murrays good role models.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Even one drink a week will impact your physical and mental performance. It's a no no during the season for most top sports people. Our attitude to alcohol is one reason we have lagged further and further behind other nations. Throw in diet and sports science and practice as well. Thankfully we are turning the corner. Having players in the EPL is rubbing off on our game. Careers are short. Plenty of time for enjoying life once you stop playing. The Murrays good role models.
    One drink a week wouldn't make any noticeable difference to an athlete's performance. That's on the basis that one drink is a bottle of beer/glass of wine rather than a bottle of vodka.

I'd be very surprised if the Spanish/French/Italian players don't have the odd glass of wine with their dinner.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    One drink a week wouldn't make any noticeable difference to an athlete's performance. That's on the basis that one drink is a bottle of beer/glass of wine rather than a bottle of vodka.

I'd be very surprised if the Spanish/French/Italian players don't have the odd glass of wine with their dinner.
    Look at how good Arsenal were in the late 80s and early 90s with their Tuesday 12 pint club.

Look at how good Arsenal were in the late 80s and early 90s with their Tuesday 12 pint club.
    To be fair I think every club was at it back then.

Players won't be out getting wrecked every weekend but a glass of wine once week is not going to impact their performance.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Jim44;6767704]

For once, I agree with you 100%.
    Just the once? ��

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    It's not his job to decide what can and cannot be debated on here. One of our players made the papers for commiting a serious offence. Of course its going to be talked about on here. He's rightfully getting a bit of stick, hell be getting worse off of those around him. I still think he's a great player.
    What a childish retort, I would have expected better from you. My job isn’t Hibs.net of course it’s not but I’ll continue to use it and pay towards its upkeep if they’ll allow it.
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 03-12-2021 at 11:17 AM.

Oh good, it's the forum police.
    And only last week I was getting told not to read threads “I didn’t like”.
    This week I’m not supposed to have an opinion on one.

Tenner well spent.

I don't think anyone would condone drink driving under any circumstances. Getting behind the wheel to drive home after 2 pints might be a different kettle of fish from downing a bottle of vodka and careering about the streets but it's still irresponsible and illegal. Incidentally I don't think 'it was only be 3 or 4 pints so he would hardly be hammered' is any kind of mitigation. I like a drink as much as anyone and can put it away when the chance allows. I certainly wouldn't be pished after 4 pints but I'd feel it and I have no doubt it impairs my judgement and behaviour at that stage.

However people make mistakes and they deserve the chance to learn from them. Joe Newell has been fortunate that on this occasion his actions have impacted no one other than himself. If anyone on here has never done anything stupid, irresponsible or downright dangerous in their life then I applaud you because you are a better person than me. He made a serious mistake, he has been dealt with both by the courts and his employer and if he has any brains at all he will never do it again. Time to move on.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I don't think anyone would condone drink driving under any circumstances. Getting behind the wheel to drive home after 2 pints might be a different kettle of fish from downing a bottle of vodka and careering about the streets but it's still irresponsible and illegal. Incidentally I don't think 'it was only be 3 or 4 pints so he would hardly be hammered' is any kind of mitigation. I like a drink as much as anyone and can put it away when the chance allows. I certainly wouldn't be pished after 4 pints but I'd feel it and I have no doubt it impairs my judgement and behaviour at that stage.

However people make mistakes and they deserve the chance to learn from them. Joe Newell has been fortunate that on this occasion his actions have impacted no one other than himself. If anyone on here has never done anything stupid, irresponsible or downright dangerous in their life then I applaud you because you are a better person than me. He made a serious mistake, he has been dealt with both by the courts and his employer and if he has any brains at all he will never do it again. Time to move on.
    That was along the lines of my comment and in no way was it meant to be mitigation - it was in response to someone saying he was hammered as he was 3x the legal limit. I agree with the limit being so low, and think there should be a stronger punishment as a deterrent - however a couple of pints would likely see you twice the limit these days so there is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Having a beer or glass of wine once a week might just be a great way for players to unwind midweek tbh and from a mental health perspective could probably be a positive thing

Obviously that's different to what Newell's done here but I don't buy that the odd drink has a noticeable athletic impact or that everyone playing the the EPL is absolutely teetotal

@hibs.net private member
    It was the Saturday night the original Ross County call-off so had probably just been told he had a week off so don’t see the issue with him having a few pints. Jumping in the car after it is the problem

They would be hammered by Southampton no pint club now though. Football has changed. Footballers at the top level are thoroughbred athletes these days.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    That was along the lines of my comment and in no way was it meant to be mitigation - it was in response to someone saying he was hammered as he was 3x the legal limit. I agree with the limit being so low, and think there should be a stronger punishment as a deterrent - however a couple of pints would likely see you twice the limit these days so there is a difference.
    I know. I mentioned on another thread that the media like to sensationalise the headlines around these things.

I just think it needs to be remembered that a couple of pints is still enough to impair the ability to do some pretty basic tasks.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    Having a beer or glass of wine once a week might just be a great way for players to unwind midweek tbh and from a mental health perspective could probably be a positive thing

Obviously that's different to what Newell's done here but I don't buy that the odd drink has a noticeable athletic impact or that everyone playing the the EPL is absolutely teetotal

The science would tell you that professional sports people shouldn’t put anything in their bodies unless it’s of nutritional value.

Any alcohol can impair performance and recovery time - in small amounts, this is probably a very small effect, but it still won’t be positive.

I get that footballers are human and I’m not particularly judgmental about this. But if you want to absolutely maximise your potential, a tee total, vegan, bed by 10pm lifestyle is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    The science would tell you that professional sports people shouldn’t put anything in their bodies unless it’s of nutritional value.

Any alcohol can impair performance and recovery time - in small amounts, this is probably a very small effect, but it still won’t be positive.

I get that footballers are human and I’m not particularly judgmental about this. But if you want to absolutely maximise your potential, a tee total, vegan, bed by 10pm lifestyle is your friend.
    Vegan is debatable. I might be wrong but I think some athletes have said they found it made them very sluggish

Vegan is debatable. I might be wrong but I think some athletes have said they found it made them very sluggish
    In terms of increased stamina, i dont think it is debateable, any sporting activity that takes over 60 minutes will benefit from switching to a vegan diet. Widening of arteries leading to blood being pumped more effectively from the heart. As long as that diet is balanced with the right nutrients, ie-you cant just eat crackers and rice. Lots of studies on this topic particularly from US universities, easy to find.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    In terms of increased stamina, i dont think it is debateable, any sporting activity that takes over 60 minutes will benefit from switching to a vegan diet. Widening of arteries leading to blood being pumped more effectively from the heart. As long as that diet is balanced with the right nutrients, ie-you cant just eat crackers and rice. Lots of studies on this topic particularly from US universities, easy to find.
    I watched the Game Changers on Netflix, really fascinating insight into the benefits of athletes switching to a vegan diet. I tried it for a while but I like bacon too much

I'm not sure if anyone has watched the documentary about Eliud Kipchoge in the lead up to his sub 2 hour marathon attempt.

His diet was studied and monitored extensively in the lead up. Whilst there were small changes made a number of people commented that what he ate anyway was almost perfect for what he was doing. There was no obsessing about macros, supplements, protein shakes etc. They ate ugali, a cornmeal made with water, managu, a vegetable a bit like spinach, cabbage, various beans, rice, flat bread (that was substituted for white bread after the weekend long run), eggs and potatoes. Snack were primarily bananas and a porridge type drink was always shared in the evening. Protein intake was low (a big diversion from the western protein obsession) and meat consumption was almost non existent. The only real treat was milky tea with sugar. Sports drinks, recovery powders etc just did not enter their thinking during training although were used in races for a quick hit and alcohol was strictly off limits.

For many of the athletes that was bit of a necessity. It's cheap and plentiful food and many of these guys don't make a huge amount of money. Kipchoge himself is one of the greatest athletes of all time but earns significantly less from his Nike deal than Galen Rupp, a fine athlete but not in the same league. He's far from poor but he lives and works with people who are. He could afford to switch from the lifestyle that nurtured his success but chooses not to.

I think the point is that the developed world is in a position to over think these things and boil it down to granular detail. For others it's often dictated by necessity and good old common sense. Eating a starchy vegetable that fills you up = good, downing 3 pints a couple of times a week = bad.

@hibs.net private member
    It's not his job to decide what can and cannot be debated on here. One of our players made the papers for commiting a serious offence. Of course its going to be talked about on here. He's rightfully getting a bit of stick, hell be getting worse off of those around him. I still think he's a great player.
    I agree but it’s still a fair point. I’ve made a number of post as on this thread but still acknowledge it’s a very fair point the poster makes.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone has watched the documentary about Eliud Kipchoge in the lead up to his sub 2 hour marathon attempt.

His diet was studied and monitored extensively in the lead up. Whilst there were small changes made a number of people commented that what he ate anyway was almost perfect for what he was doing. There was no obsessing about macros, supplements, protein shakes etc. They ate ugali, a cornmeal made with water, managu, a vegetable a bit like spinach, cabbage, various beans, rice, flat bread (that was substituted for white bread after the weekend long run), eggs and potatoes. Snack were primarily bananas and a porridge type drink was always shared in the evening. Protein intake was low (a big diversion from the western protein obsession) and meat consumption was almost non existent. The only real treat was milky tea with sugar. Sports drinks, recovery powders etc just did not enter their thinking during training although were used in races for a quick hit and alcohol was strictly off limits.

For many of the athletes that was bit of a necessity. It's cheap and plentiful food and many of these guys don't make a huge amount of money. Kipchoge himself is one of the greatest athletes of all time but earns significantly less from his Nike deal than Galen Rupp, a fine athlete but not in the same league. He's far from poor but he lives and works with people who are. He could afford to switch from the lifestyle that nurtured his success but chooses not to.

I think the point is that the developed world is in a position to over think these things and boil it down to granular detail. For others it's often dictated by necessity and good old common sense. Eating a starchy vegetable that fills you up = good, downing 3 pints a couple of times a week = bad.
    Aye but lots of us were brought up on Alf Tupper and Bernard Briggs. What about their diets?

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    3x the drink drive limit isn’t ‘hammered’ either (it’s not right either btw before anyone says) - but the DD laws here are next to nothing, a lot lower than England for example. He’d probably had 3/4 pints and then jumped in the motor.

Also - it’s not just footballers, it’s society as a whole. Thousands every year get done with DD and it’s wrong. The punishment should be harsher for me. 9 months licence loss isn’t enough IMO, should be a few years.
    Like you said he won’t have been hammered. But three or four pints def reduces your cognitive ability and therefore shouldn’t be in cintrol of a vehicle.
    But a few months ban and a fine is sufficient as luckily no one was hurt.
    Chance to reflect and never do it again.
    Longer bans and fines should kick in for subsequent offences.